Page 1 of 2
My guitar wights about 15lbs, I am 6.2 and it causes me to hunch over. I all ways stretch before I play but It seems as if thats not enough. Is their a special strap or some kind of support tool guitarist use to fix this problem?
when i read "i am 6.2" i thought you meant 6.2 lbs
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I hear ya. I'm 6'4", my guitar strap is a little too short, and I have one of the heaviest (as in heaviest in weight, not "heaviest" in sound) electric guitars ever made (Peavey T-60). I gotta get a new strap. I would just recommend trying to maintain good posture while playing, but above all, just try to maintain a comfortable position.
Adjust your strap length so you can play it at a comfortable height. Stop hunching over, force yourself to stand and play with correct posture. No strap can put your body into the right shape for you.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Harvey Swick
when i read "i am 6.2" i thought you meant 6.2 lbs

That would definitely cause the back to hurt if the guitar weighs more than you.

That's my expert opinion.
Make your strap shorter.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Shorten your strap length, not only will you not have to hunch but it actually makes it helluva lot easier to play.

Or get a lighter guitar. Mick Mars from Motley Crue stopped playing Les Pauls because he has a muscular disorder and they became too heavy to play. What do you play?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Work out your shoulders and back. Get a new guitar.

What guitar do you play? 15 lbs. is a lot for a guitar.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Honestly, being as tall as I am with my long, scraggly arms, and how heavy my guitar is, I find it easier to play with a lower strap, but most people prefer the strap to be shorter. You just gotta adjust it 'til it's comfortable for you.
Quote by OddOneOut
Adjust your strap length so you can play it at a comfortable height. Stop hunching over, force yourself to stand and play with correct posture. No strap can put your body into the right shape for you.

Its not that simple. For example...
A 5lb wight is very light but if you hold it in your hand with your arms straight out for 10min, your arm is going to fall.

I am surprised no one has told me to exercise. At the moment I am, but until I get more muscle in my back I need a solution.
Last edited by gui8tar at Nov 26, 2012,
Quote by chev311e
That would definitely cause the back to hurt if the guitar weighs more than you.

That's my expert opinion.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr 5
Shorten your strap length, not only will you not have to hunch but it actually makes it helluva lot easier to play.

Or get a lighter guitar. Mick Mars from Motley Crue stopped playing Les Pauls because he has a muscular disorder and they became too heavy to play. What do you play?

You would think that it would help. But it does not. It helps me reach the frets easier, I have all ways played with my guitar just below my chest. I fell like a nerd with his pants pulled up to his chest. No matter what position its in, it still wights the same, the strap still sits on the same stress points. Even if the guitar wear tied to my chest it still going to cause me to hunch. They need to make a ice pack guitar strap.
Quote by gui8tar
Its not that simple. For example...
A 5lb wight is very light but if you hold it in your hand with your arms straight out for 10min, your arm is going to star to fall.

I am surprised no one has told me to exercise. At the moment I am, but until I get more muscle in my back I need a solution.

Well if you're holding your guitar with your arms straight out, theres your problem. Just stand up straight. If the guitar was actually heavy enough that you couldn't stand up under its weight, you wouldn't be able to hunch over with it either, you would fall down and be exhausted in minutes. If your shoulder gets tired thats a different thing, but its actually more work for your back to hunch over, because hunching over is exactly like holding the guitar straight out in front of you. Stand up straight, and adjust your strap so that the guitar is in a comfortable place.
maybe some kind of makeshift guitar holder using plastic clothes hangers and an old pair of suspenders. sorta like those rigs that people use in movies to make it look like they hung themselves.
on second thought plastic hangers might not be so supportive, any one else have any ideas?

Quote by gui8tar
You would think that it would help. But it does not. It helps me reach the frets easier, I have all ways played with my guitar just below my chest. I fell like a nerd with his pants pulled up to his chest. No matter what position its in, it still wights the same, the strap still sits on the same stress points. Even if the guitar wear tied to my chest it still going to cause me to hunch. They need to make a ice pack guitar strap.

What kind(s) of guitar(s) do you play?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I had the same issue until I bought a better/longer guitar strap. Can't find it online, this is the best picture I have of it. (It's a Levy btw)

you should retain a good posture, and exercise:
1) pull ups
2) Dead lift
3) crunches ( these are for maintaining equilibrium between your abs and back muscles, it is important to train both together)
Google each one of them, and be easy on yourself.

But you still have to work on your posture.
The guitar should be resting against your tummy or higher. This'll help with the weight.
Keep good posture. I don't reckon a new strap will help really. The wider the easier on the shoulder.

If it gets really bad, take a rest. You could risk injury that puts you out for weeks. It'll strengthen up if you let it recover.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Thrill-house
I had the same issue until I bought a better/longer guitar strap. Can't find it online, this is the best picture I have of it. (It's a Levy btw)

Levy's straps are.sold on ZZounds.com
Not sure about this particular model though.
Your guitar weighs 15 pounds? What kind is it? That seems awfully heavy.
*your ad here*
Yeah, wow, my Peavey T-60 weighs 14 pounds and I thought it was one of the (if not the) heaviest guitars ever made.
Just out of curiousity, what kind of guitar does the TS play?
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Well if you're holding your guitar with your arms straight out, theres your problem.

I have a similar problem. I hold my guitar relatively high (not quite like Paul "machine gun" McCartney, but just below that), but I tend to lean to the left a bit while playing solos. Consequently it has brought back an old shoulder blade injury that I got while doing house removals a few years ago.

From what everyone has been saying, keeping your back straight seems to be the best remedy
Quote by theogonia777
Your guitar weighs 15 pounds? What kind is it? That seems awfully heavy.

Probably a Norlin era Gibson with a bunch of maple.

Or a double neck.

Or a rosewood strat/tele
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Don't have your guitar around your nutsack. It might help slightly.

Look to pertucci's position. I wouldn't (and don't) hold it any lower.

yes it's a gif.

Quote by Spaztikko

yes it's a gif.

Dat vibrato.
I'M EXPRESSING MY INNER ANQUISH THROUGH THE MAJESTY OF SONG

soadamy <3

I saw it on the internet [Pit], so it must be true!

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
SO what kind of guitar is it??? 15lbs????
For your sake I hope heaven & hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guitar & skateboarding. Do what you want.
Tom Delonge is about 6'2 and used to play really low. It really messed up his back and now he's fat and sucks.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Just work on it. have good posture, then if you start to get tired, take a break. But don't get into the habit of hunching, with a guitar, at your desk, wherever. It takes resolve.

If you don't have the strength to stand up under the weight of your guitar, either get a lighter guitar or get stronger. But I think it's probably a bad habit of yours.

as for straps, nothing will make you hunch less, they can distribute the load more over your shoulder, but the weight on your shoulders is just the same.

Man up.
---
My 1570 is heavy to me, my jackson is way lighter. I'd never get a LP for that reason. Anyways, a wide strap, at least wide at the shoulder is what helped me. Still, I think I;m gonna get a much lighter guitar soon, probably a Parker
Quote by Alexi_hammett
SO what kind of guitar is it??? 15lbs????

I think its a Scheceter C-1 Hellraiser (not sure on the specific model)

Mine is about 14-15 lbs, it is seriously a heavy beast, and comes with complimentary back problems right out of the box
I don't get back sores. Although, I sit down when I play and the top of my guitar digs into my sternum, so it usually feels like I have a bruised sternum.
Its a mockingbird masterpiece. I saw that some sites wear listing shipping as 15lb but latter found out its 13lbs, still heavy.
Last edited by gui8tar at Nov 27, 2012,
Quote by Spaztikko

yes it's a gif.

Thats how i have all ways played.
Quote by CodeMonk
Check these out:
http://slingerstraps.com/

WOW this is hilarious. Not practical at all. I cant reach all the frets when my guitar is at my waist. It transfers ALL the wight from shoulders and uper back to your lower back witch is more sensitive. Nice try thanks for the post.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Well if you're holding your guitar with your arms straight out, theres your problem. Just stand up straight. If the guitar was actually heavy enough that you couldn't stand up under its weight, you wouldn't be able to hunch over with it either, you would fall down and be exhausted in minutes. If your shoulder gets tired thats a different thing, but its actually more work for your back to hunch over, because hunching over is exactly like holding the guitar straight out in front of you. Stand up straight, and adjust your strap so that the guitar is in a comfortable place.

You missed my point....
Whats keeping your back straight up? Your spine? NO your muscles witch can strain if you keep wight on them.
Quote by gui8tar
You missed my point....
Whats keeping your back straight up? Your spine? NO your muscles witch can strain if you keep wight on them.

What the hell do you want? Come asking for help but then turn into an asshat.

Regardless of your guitar, observing proper playing position is vital and it is your fault for not doing so and ****ing your back in the process.
Last edited by Spaztikko at Nov 27, 2012,
Page 1 of 2