Glimpsed.AM
337 IQ
Hey everyone, before I start this is NOT one of those "Hey, how long do you all think it'll take me to get to (insert guitarist name here)'s level?" kind of threads.

Since I've joined these forums I've just been a little curious and wanna see how long it took you guys to get good at sweeping, and by good I mean speed and clarity. I started learning to sweep about 2 years ago. I can play relatively clean, but my rolling needs a little bit of work. So anyway, yeah.. How long before you guys could play cleanly and had fluid movement?
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
about 6 months
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Years, but I started very early on in my playing, way before I was really ready. There are some sweeping things I still suck at, but then I also find I don't have much use for them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
troyofyort
2nd place is da 1st loser
804 IQ
Quote by Glimpsed.AM
Hey everyone, before I start this is NOT one of those "Hey, how long do you all think it'll take me to get to (insert guitarist name here)'s level?" kind of threads.

Since I've joined these forums I've just been a little curious and wanna see how long it took you guys to get good at sweeping, and by good I mean speed and clarity. I started learning to sweep about 2 years ago. I can play relatively clean, but my rolling needs a little bit of work. So anyway, yeah.. How long before you guys could play cleanly and had fluid movement?

I've been learning it for about 2 years as well, unfortunately I've just haven't put as much effort into as I should have. I still have trouble with rolling and sweeping downward, but can sweep upward perfectly any shape
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Bad Kharmel
167 IQ
it depends on the arpeggio, I got basic sweeping pretty quickly, i'd say a couple months, but it took me a year or so after that to be able to transition between sweeps cleanly and insert taps into sweeping, and a few years later while most standard seeps I do fine, if they're weird or spread out funny they still take a while to get
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods
186 IQ
I was good at it within about 4 years of trying to do it for the first time, but I never really tried to learn properly until later on, I would come across songs with sweeping sections and try to play them and give up if I couldn't after a while, but I think if I really put a lot of effort into it and practiced for like a couple of hours every day, to get to the same skill level would have taken me a few months
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Definitely took me over 2 years to get to where I would could sweep without it being a horrible mess. That was only like a year ago, so I'm still pretty new to it. But at this point it's about learning more difficult arpeggios and getting better at sweep-tapping, rather than just getting the mechanics down.

I think I would have learned faster if I'd had a teacher that could show me what to play, at what speed, what I was doing wrong, and tell me when I was ready to move on to the next step. Part of my problem was a serious lack of organization and a general confusion about what exactly I needed to focus on.
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
926 IQ
I used to sweep minor/major 5 strings quite easily though I'm only just getting back into the practice. I can do the "rolling" sweeps that gave me trouble for years now.
I can successfully do all the sweeps to Altitudes/Mea Culpa just not up to speed.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Doctor.Dolittle
Meme-o Friend-o
385 IQ
I've been introduced to it around a year ago. I think I'm doing fine with it but I'm definitely no god at it. However, I've been more and more interested in it recently (that being the last couple of months) and I seem to be doing okay for being interested in it a couple of months. I can't do anything advanced in sweep picking, and I have some trouble in sweeping upward.
aznbobby
56 IQ
I wouldn't say I'm good at sweeping, but I finally learned how to play them clearly and properly.

I'd say it took me about a year, of casual practice while building on other places.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,513 IQ
A few years, still can get way better. Never ending quest
Jyrgen
Used Register
2,053 IQ
I've practiced for 2 months and can only do a really basic minor triad arpeggio, as in the solo of Circles by Joe Satriani (the 4 string A minor sweep around the 12th fret), but that's what I was practicing for all along so its all good
Geldin
1,677 IQ
I learned it in about 2 months. I was cleanly transitioning between arpeggios and everything. I was playing the big sweeping bit in Altitudes inside four months. Sweeping is one of those techniques that just made sense to me as a guitarist.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by fishmike
whats sweeping?

like mopping.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
fishmike
1,063 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
like mopping.

I looked up some youtube videos. Agreed.
he of tranquil mind
yearzero
Heir to The Darkness
1,193 IQ
Realistically, I'd say it took me about a year to get a point where a basic sweep passage didn't send me into a panic. Another few months after that before I could confidently add it to my own playing in a real capacity. Another long gap before I could play 3, 4,and 5 string shapes together.

4 years later I realized that I could probably play the Children of Bodom songs that inspired me to learn the technique, but I just don't want to anymore.
aznbobby
56 IQ
Quote by yearzero
Realistically, I'd say it took me about a year to get a point where a basic sweep passage didn't send me into a panic. Another few months after that before I could confidently add it to my own playing in a real capacity. Another long gap before I could play 3, 4,and 5 string shapes together.

4 years later I realized that I could probably play the Children of Bodom songs that inspired me to learn the technique, but I just don't want to anymore.

hahha yeah children of bodom inspired me to tackle sweeping but after finally being able to actually play a sweep i dont even care for re-learning their songs haha.
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
It took me a couple hours to learn how to do it, but it's taking me years to become decent at it, and as with everything else, I'm still working on it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
3 minutes

We are talking about sweep picking, not broom sweeping. read the thread next time noob.
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
We are talking about sweep picking, not broom sweeping. read the thread next time noob.

Learn what puns are and get a sense of humor, idiot.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Calymos
259 IQ
I've been at it for about 6 years now, haha, and it's only in the past 2 that it's really been easy. Granted, I don't really focus on technique much at this point, but when I started learning it, I would sit up in the mornings and nights with a metronome and just go slow.

Just be persistant, and patient. Honestly, that's guitar playing in a nutshell.
poisonousmetal
1,559 IQ
About a week. And I'm not saying this to impress, I couldn't care less what people cared.

But truth is I had kinda the backbone before I knew it was a technique, cause I used the sweeping motion for legato patterns. When I found Children Of Bodom I learned that it was already used, and practiced for a week to be able to play some of their stuff. But I have a dislike for sweeping now, it's too overused, but I've comed back to it to play some Jason Becker.
Andy Pollow
44 IQ
I used to sweep like left to right going from low e - high e and it didnt always sound good. Like you do if you wave the wrist or sweep with the elbow. Then I started getting alot better clarity and a little faster when I learned to sweep with a knocking on a door wrist motion a little more like right to left low e - high e. George Bellas goes right to left the same way but he uses his whole arm from the shoulder and it sounds awesome. Ive seen Michael Angelo do that to. Watch him sweep at 2:40 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UDel__N5w&playnext=1&list=PL0D8EFD823EC7E26B&feature=results_main

I think that knocking on a door thing is really the best way to alternate pick too.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Tempoe
A few years, still can get way better. Never ending quest

+1. some players dedicate their life to celebrated shred techniques like those underground players you find chopsfromhell.com etc.

But they can't do anything else lol. Just eight finger tapping etc and that's it.
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
Quote by Junior#1
Learn what puns are and get a sense of humor, idiot.

How is what he said a pun? My comment wasn't meant to be 100% serious either so I could say the same to you
Gear:
Schecter KM-6
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X