Jon777
Assbender
342 IQ
I seem to be having a lot of trouble with what I guess could be called "songwriter's development hell." I get a sudden spurt of inspiration, write a really cool section or two, and then can't seem to develop the song any further or reach any sort of ending point. I'd say I have around six or seven songs about half-written that are currently in this state.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any advice would be appreciated.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
10 IQ
Finish it then edit it later.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
181 IQ
I'm in that boat as well. Probably got about 10 unfinished songs.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
10 IQ
I have like 100 of these, none finished at all. The problem for me is that they'd need vocals which I absolutely can't do at this point.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
170 IQ
This is where the classical ethos of development comes in handy. You should look into it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Alpha_Wolf
HR
144 IQ
I have this problem, too. And it really annoys the hell out of me.

Quote by rockingamer2

This seems like the best way to combat this. Just fill in the parts you don't have with a simple rhythm or something that you know can be easily changed. Then once you feel like all of the parts are "completed", go back and spruce it up.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Burgery
crack hitler
81 IQ
i got a shitload of those

and 0 actual finished songs

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
514 IQ
Write some crappy songs, then kill yourself. Instant fame.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

blake1221
‭‭
164 IQ
Quote by JustRooster

So 1994.

Luckily, the '90s are in right now.

Do it.
Jon777
Assbender
342 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2

I've done this once in the past, and it worked out alright... Maybe I should do this more. I guess I just don't enjoy this sort of process as much as when a complete song comes naturally to me.

Quote by Xiaoxi
This is where the classical ethos of development comes in handy. You should look into it.

If you could elaborate, that'd be great.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's because you're bad at writing music. Anyone can come up with ideas, the hard part is developing them.

So this is an issue exclusive to bad songwriters? >___> Right.
Burgery
crack hitler
81 IQ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That's because you're bad at writing music. Anyone can come up with ideas, the hard part is developing them.

my problem isn't lack of ideas or inability at developing them, i just lose interest in the song.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Nov 28, 2012,
blake1221
‭‭
164 IQ
Quote by Weaponized
Songs are gay anyways.

"if my woman were a fire she'd burn out before I wake, and be replaced by pints of whiskey, cigarettes and outer space."

whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
110 IQ
Quote by JustRooster

Whoa, whoa! That sounds like way too much work.

All you need to do is to be questionably imprisoned, then lead a half-assed protest.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
110 IQ
On the other hand, I've heard a lot of artists say that they try to finish songs fairly quickly when they first conceptualize them, as to try to capture a moment of time in their thinking.
Weaponized
41 IQ
Quote by blake1221
"if my woman were a fire she'd burn out before I wake, and be replaced by pints of whiskey, cigarettes and outer space."

Margay and the New Queer So & So's
Last edited by Weaponized at Nov 28, 2012,
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
10 IQ
Quote by Jon777

If you could elaborate, that'd be great.

Classical music is all about development. It takes a theme or idea and presents it. Then it wrestles with it and mangles it, changes it, moves it around, does any number of things to it. Ever try to write out a riff and you keep getting stuff that isn't quite "main riff" material? Or riffs that are cool in their own right but don't fit the song? Well, you can take those ideas, polish them and use them later.

Check out the theme to this piece and see how it's changed throughout the piece:

Another example, keep an ear (and eye, since these are cool visualizations) for the main theme through the piece. Sometimes it's obvious when it comes back, but other times you can hear bits of it and then he takes in in another direction.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Nov 28, 2012,
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
30 IQ
Do you tab out your songs? That always helps me because I can go back to whatever idea I had before when I have another moment of inspiration.

If you came up with a cool lick that you wanted to use for a different song.. maybe you could transpose it to the key of the original song you had? Who knows, it might work. And before someone goes on a tirade and says this is a terrible method of songwriting, it also might not work, but it's worth a shot.

Sometimes it helps to come up with a simple bassline, tab it out, and then come up with the guitar and drum parts over top of it, then come back to the bassline and expand on that.

It'll take some time no matter what, though.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Nov 28, 2012,