Page 2 of 4
Huh, I didn't know ash was durable enough for a fretboard. Good to know, I might do that in the future.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by Speckled_Hen
Huh, I didn't know ash was durable enough for a fretboard. Good to know, I might do that in the future.

There are 2 different types of ash. Swamp ash is NOT suitable for a fretboard.
This is northern rock ash. It is what baseball bats are made out of. It is insanely hard and stiff.

Neck is fretted. Just have to carve the neck, then it will go pretty quickly.

That does look nice. In the second picture the grain makes the fretboard look really wide to me.

Is a woods suitability for a fretboard just determined by it's density?
Well from what I could find on the internet, European Ash is more dense than that White Rock Ash.

Might have a go making a fretboard with it.
I've got a big plank of it now. Do you mind if we steal your idea?
Quote by Speckled_Hen
I've got a big plank of it now. Do you mind if we steal your idea?

I've got a loftfull of it

It's a fantastic chance to use up some of the planks that are split.

Thanks a lot man, it's a fantastic idea, and it looks great
Thanks Explorerbuilder. I had almost no fretboard wood, and now it turns out that I have quite a lot

And like Whoomit said, it looks fantastic.
Wow the wood looks awesome on the neck. Very nice job.

Do you ever make other, explorer derived shapes? Kelly's, or the LTD EX shape for example.
I didn't know if you had tried a one off at some point just to give yourself something slightly different to build.
I've never been a fan of the Gibson Explorer, but I really like the small details that you've added to the basic shape.

Looking forward to seeing the finished guitar!
Quote by syntheticocean
God damn you. I want this bad.

+1. Now ESP are ****ed, I might ask you to make me a guitar instead
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I didn't even know that I needed an Explorer.

But, I need that Explorer.

Fantastic craftsmanship, can't wait to see the final guitar!
God damn. God damn....

Looks badass as hell !!!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
How much ammo did you have to reload?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Why not make a side dot stencil that covers the whole guitar neck, clamp the stencil to the neck and drill it? It'll stop the bit walking as i'll have nowhere to walk.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.