Page 1 of 7
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ

Seasons greetings and happy holidays everybody!

GOAL: You have until DECEMBER 20TH to learn a song, any song of your choice, with the instrument of your choice, and record it and upload it (to Youtube, your UG profile or any related site). Audio alone is fine. Video is fine. This should prove some fun and a good time waster and all along you're becoming a better musician. After all entries have been made we will judge on cleanliness, accuracy, techniques (ex. good harmonics or vibrato), styles, speed, etc. and overall impression.

NOTICE: Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view/hear the song (ie, facebook, etc)

*** REGISTRATION IS OPEN RIGHT UP UNTIL THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE ***

Thanks to StewieSwan for this:
To export a GP5 drum track as an Mp3 if I just download the song from UG...

Make sure only the drum track is on (mute the others or press the S button on the drum track in GP) and then go File - Export - MIDI. Once the drum MIDI is exported, find it wherever you put it and open it with itunes. Then right click the track and select "create mp3".
If it doesn't say mp3, if it's another kind of format then go Edit - Preferences - General - Import Settings - Import Using Mp3 Encoder and then right click the song and convert to mp3. This is all assuming you have the latest itunes.

These are the categories:

Guitar -- Easy/Intermediate/Advanced -- (note that 'easy' doesn't mean 'beginner')

Bass Guitar Intermediate/Advanced

Other

The finally completed COLLABORATION category! --

NOTES:

Other includes drums, vocals, keyboards, kazookeylele, bottles, or even the almighty triangle!

The COLLABORATION entries must consist of 2 or more people doing whatever instrument they feel like. All entrants for each song need to confirm their participation in order to be entered.

Don't forget the official UG Group for this monthly competition! Join for updates and news on current and future competitions. Suggestions are also welcome!

Please post the title of the song and band you are choosing and the category you are joining. Your registration will be invalidated if your registration is incomplete. (Bear in mind I probably won't know what BBFSTEDT or whatever stands for so dn't abbrv. wrds & terms)

Post if you are interested. You can also join multiple categories but only 1 entry per instrument per tier.

RULES:
1. Please do not pick a song you already know -- though finishing off a song you've tried and failed on sections of before is fine.
2. Feel free to register as long as you will post an entry by the 20th.
3. The winners get points
4. ...
5. Refer to Rule No.1!!!
6. Profit!

ENTRIES:

Guitar

Easy:

When You Are Who You Are - Gil Scott Heron (TV-Casualty)

Doctor Doctor - UFO (H4T3BR33D3R)

Burndt Jamb - Weezer (Horsedick.MPEG)

Showdown - Pendulum (Cavalcade)

Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End) - The Darkness (Leony03)

Maritime - Isis (francesco18)

Stars - Callalily (Niejel)

Intermediate:

Red Mosquito - Pearl Jam (Soundgarden1986)

Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden (Horsedick.MPEG)

A Favor House Atlantic - Coheed and Cambria (barden1069)

Sons of Skyrim - Jeremy Soule (fearofthemark)

The Judas Kiss - Metallica (fatlumpthe1st)

Gods of War Arise - Amon Amarth (losing_battle)

Everfields - Omnium Gatherum (Cavalcade)

Jingle Bells - James Lord Pierpont (Random3)

Epic Fail - Bulb (iHurricaneGTR)

Future Wars - La Dispute

Advanced:

Surfing with the Alien - Joe Satriani (Random3)

The Distance - Omnium Gatherum (Cavalcade)

Hangar 18 - Megadeth (King_Donkey)

Poison Was the Cure - Megadeth (Karz1993)

Erised - Periphery (Niejel)

Bass Guitar

Easy

Stars - Callalily (Niejel)

Burndt Jamb - Weezer (Horsedick.MPEG)

Like Knives - The Fashion (TokaiEX)

Intermediate:

Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden (Horsedick.MPEG)

Panic Station - Muse (ozzyismetal)

Red Mosquito - Pearl Jam (Soundgarden1986)

Advanced:

Darling Dear - Jackson 5 (primusfan)

Power - Marcus Miller (thorbor)

Erised - Periphery (Niejel)

Other

Point to Point - Animals as Leaders. (super_strat)

Vela, Together We Await the Storm - The Human Abstract (WCPhils)

Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths (Trowzaa)

Follow the Signs - Born of Osiris (Scowmoo)

When You Are Who You Are - Gil Scott Heron (TV-Casualty)

COLLABORATION

Scar Tissue - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Horsedick.MPEG & TokaiEX)

VOTING THREADS

Easy Guitar:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579820

Intermediate Guitar:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579821

Advanced Guitar:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579822

Easy Bass:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579823

Other:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579825
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 27, 2012,
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
hmm, since my electric is broken I'll have to be creative.

I'll do something for easy guitar with my acoustic I think. It's a secret though

And I'm going to do a Protest the Hero, BTBAM, or Dillinger Escape Plan song on piano for lols. I'll let you know which one when I choose.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 1, 2012,
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I call Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden for Intermediate.

Anyone game for doing a collaboration of Scar Tissue by RHCP on bass?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Sweet song choices man.

I'll update the OP in the morning.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
1,083 IQ
Would "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria be Easy or Intermediate? I want to give that one a shot.
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by barden1069
Would "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria be Easy or Intermediate? I want to give that one a shot.

I'm listening to it now, I would say intermediate maybe? We'll wait for more people to chime in.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by K'Nuckles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLC0yysmEj8

Someone should do this with me.

Not me, I suck
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Fatlumpthe1st
Lacks presence
373 IQ
Put me down for The Judas Kiss on guitar by Metallica please I'm not going to do the solo so I'm not sure if that'd go in the intermediate category or the easy category
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by Fatlumpthe1st
Put me down for The Judas Kiss on guitar by Metallica please I'm not going to do the solo so I'm not sure if that'd go in the intermediate category or the easy category

I'll just put it in intermediate and if somebody takes issue, we'll move it.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I'm also doing Black Hole Sun on bass.

Still on the lookout for a bass player for the RHCP song.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
EDIT: nvm derped. Added
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Dec 1, 2012,
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
Can you please carry over my Surfing With The Alien over from last month, as there were no other advanced guitar entries.

Probably won't enter anything else, will let you know if that changes.

Oh, and just got back from seeing Steve Vai. Incredible.
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 1, 2012,
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Will do.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by TokaiEX
Horsedick, I'll do the bass for the rhcp song.

Sweet, do you have any recording setup/software?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by francesco18
Can I do a guitar cover of a piano piece as well ?

I'm doing a piano cover of a guitar piece, so of course!!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by francesco18
Can I do a guitar cover of a piano piece as well ?

I think that's fine.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
super_strat
263 IQ
Other: "Point to Point" - Animals As Leaders (Piano)

Edit:
Quote by WCPhils
I'm doing a piano cover of a guitar piece, so of course!!
WTF HAX!!!!
Last edited by super_strat at Dec 1, 2012,
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Added.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
2,508 IQ
I don't know where this would fall under but I plan on doing "gods of war arise" by amon amarth. More than likely I can only do one of the two guitar tracks due to budget and lack of a puter atm.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
TokaiEX
383 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sweet, do you have any recording setup/software?

Yep, runnin my bass into reaper via a focusrite saffire 6, I usually do vids for my covers as well, there should be a YouTube link in my sig - check it out for sound quality etc
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by losing battle
I don't know where this would fall under but I plan on doing "gods of war arise" by amon amarth. More than likely I can only do one of the two guitar tracks due to budget and lack of a puter atm.

I would say intermediate.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by super_strat
Other: "Point to Point" - Animals As Leaders (Piano)

Edit:
WTF HAX!!!!

Oh, this gonna be good

I've got it narrowed down to
The Divine Suicide of K - Protest the Hero
Sequoia Throne - Protest the Hero
All Bodies - BTBAM

K and All Bodies are doable. Sequoia would be the coolest but is fast as **** so I would probably have to slow it down a little. We'll see...
___

Quote by The_Blode
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by K'Nuckles
Phils, do you ever pick anything but BTBAM or PTH?

NO!

But seriously, I like playing their stuff because (besides the fact that they're my two favorite bands) it gives me a good challenge and makes me better.

I play other stuff too but usually enter the PTH/BTBAM stuff in this comp because they're harder and I have a month the do them.
___

Quote by The_Blode
K'Nuckles
The president of ass
1,885 IQ
Fair point. I just finished learning White Walls not too long ago - feels good man.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Nice job!

Well to go against what I said, I will be doing Vela Together We Await the Storm by The Human Abstract
___

Quote by The_Blode
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
On piano?
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
On piano?

Yes

So the "other" category. I don't know if I'll have it at full speed, but it should be fun.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 2, 2012,
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Yes

So the "other" category. I don't know if I'll have it at full speed, but it should be fun.

Sounds good!
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
All three guitar categories this time!
Easy: Pendulum - Showdown
Intermediate: Omnium Gatherum - Everfields
Advanced: Omnium Gatherum - The Distance
So much tapping. Markus Vanhala should just change his name to "Van Halen" and get it over with.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Done, done and done.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by TokaiEX
Yep, runnin my bass into reaper via a focusrite saffire 6, I usually do vids for my covers as well, there should be a YouTube link in my sig - check it out for sound quality etc

I can have my guitars recorded over the VST drums done sometime this week and I can send it to you, you can mix the bass in if you want, or you can have me do it since I'll have the rest of the tracks for mixing.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
TokaiEX
383 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I can have my guitars recorded over the VST drums done sometime this week and I can send it to you, you can mix the bass in if you want, or you can have me do it since I'll have the rest of the tracks for mixing.

I'll send it to you - i should be finished my track by the end of the week
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
If nobody else does a collab, I'll just carry it over to the next month or whatever.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by TokaiEX
I'll send it to you - i should be finished my track by the end of the week

I should still send you my tracks when it's done so you can have everything timed correctly with my stuff.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Erm, my advanced guitar entry's under "Other"...

Sorry. I've been drinking
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster