Page 1 of 2
maverick691
237 IQ
I put in 6-8 hours a day playing guitar and still suck. I don't know what is causing it but everytime I try to play on my amp my playing just sounds so sloppy. Strings are always ringing out by I am muting them with my right hand and they still find a way to ring out. I've tried slowing down and playing the licks slow but everything I play sounds sloppy. The faintest touch of the string seems to make it ring out. Without an amp my playing sounds good but it is just too frustrating plugging in the amp to sound like caca everytime. Does it have anything to do with the action of the guitar? I don't even know how to adjust it on the EVH wolfgang. Another annoying thing is that my amp is hissing even without any effects plugged in and it gets even worse when I plug pedals. I tried a boss ns2 and put it in the chain but the hiss was still there. Should I just get a better quality amp or am I doomed to be the world's worst and sloppiest guitar player?
Geldin
1,677 IQ
What amp do you have?

Sounds like the wiring in the speaker might be dodgy.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,513 IQ
Probably my guess is the gain is way too high and you need to play way more through the amp to get your muting good. Check out how to see if your action etc is good in the sticky
maverick691
237 IQ
The thing is that I have absolutely no gain when I am practicing and the effect I mainly use is a phaser. Yeah maybe I should spend more time playing on the amp and trying to palm mute. Every way I've tried to palm mute though has left me with the same sloppy result. I still try palm on the bridge to mute the strings above and fretting hand for notes below. I've noticed that most of the ''sloppy playing'' is from when I either bend a string or do a pull off
maverick691
237 IQ
what are some ways I should try palm muting for some fast lead stuff like van halen?
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Get a teacher.

But slow it down to the point you can play it properly and practice at that speed. Slowly speed it up. You're just not ready to play it clean yet. It's just practice.

Read the stickies, they'll guide you.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
The strings ringing is probably just a technique issue. How much you practice doesn't matter too much. It's the quality of the practice that will make the biggest impact. The reason you only hear it when you're plugged into an amp is because the amp is doing what it's supposed to. It's making everything more audible, the things you do well and also your mistakes.

The hissing sound may be a problem with the amp itself or it may just be due to the lack of a noise gate and/or poor cable(s).

Go to a music shop and try out some other amps.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Record it and post it here, from that it should be pretty easy for people to figure out whether it's an equipment problem or a technique issue.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dngrsdave
257 IQ
Also try to mute the strings you are not playing with your fretting hand as well as the picking hand. You usually only need to touch them to stop them from ringing out.

Maybe try turning your guitars volume down a bit too. This may help some of that hiss. There is no sunstitute for practice though.

I've seen pictures where Guthrie Govan uses a hair band up by the nut to help muff his unplayed strings.
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
Last edited by dngrsdave at Dec 3, 2012,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Don't blame your gear, the fault is most likely in your technique.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Don't blame your gear, the fault is most likely in your technique.

Generally, I agree, but it sounds like TS is getting hissing even after going to pretty long lengths to isolate only his technique. I've had amps that have hissed something awful thanks to wiring going bad or piece-of-shit cables.
maverick691
237 IQ
So I've been practicing more with the amp and I am noticing the problem more and more. An example is say I am playing a note on the high e and I have my palm muting all the strings above it, I will hear a faint ringing out from a string above. However when I tried playing those strings keeping my palm in the same position they sounded as though they were muted. Recently I tried a 5150 amp and surprisingly most of the issues that I am having on my cube weren't happening on the 5150. Should I put the volume knob lower on my guitar? I have it at max volume and the other knob at minimum. Do my amp settings have an effect on this so called problem? Kinda frustrating when I am doing a solo and I hear that annoying ''faint ringing out sound''
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
Record it and post it here, from that it should be pretty easy for people to figure out whether it's an equipment problem or a technique issue.

ahem
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
+1 record it, upload to soundcloud and post a link.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

maverick691
237 IQ
Ok I'll to record it but the sound quality is gonna be horrible
maverick691
237 IQ
So I checked the action of the guitar and it's only .5 mm. Should it be raised and would a guitar store raise the action for me?
Junior#1
238 IQ
FFS, post a recording already. We'll analyze your gear after we analyze your technique.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by maverick691
So I checked the action of the guitar and it's only .5 mm. Should it be raised and would a guitar store raise the action for me?

I can answer that question when I've heard what your guitar sounds like....see the pattern here?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
once we get the sound-clip, we can figure out if you're just blaming your amp for your own fault or not. until then,stop blaming your amp.

Personally I've played on some real turds of both guitars and amps, sometimes together, sometimes not. Through all of that I've never had notes mysteriously start ringing out that didn't ring out before.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Sleaze Disease
UnBanned
420 IQ
Quote by dngrsdave
I've seen pictures where Guthrie Govan uses a hair band up by the nut to help muff his unplayed strings.

I guarantee he can play just as well without it, though.

You should never have to use things like hairbands as crutches.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Ruark
487 IQ
It's possible that it sounds exactly the way it's supposed to sound, and you're just not expecting it. Maybe you're trying to get a very clean, distinct sound, and the amp is producing overdriven tones, maybe with even some feedback and/or reverb, that sort of thing, which is exactly what it's supposed to do, depending on its settings.

You might try going with the amp instead of trying to fight it. Put on some background rhythm, kick back and PLAY your guitar! Don't "hold back."

Just an idea.
------------------------------
Ibanez Artstar AS80
Yamaha CG151C
Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Ruark
It's possible that it sounds exactly the way it's supposed to sound, and you're just not expecting it. Maybe you're trying to get a very clean, distinct sound, and the amp is producing overdriven tones, maybe with even some feedback and/or reverb, that sort of thing, which is exactly what it's supposed to do, depending on its settings.

You might try going with the amp instead of trying to fight it. Put on some background rhythm, kick back and PLAY your guitar! Don't "hold back."

Just an idea.

It's a Roland Cube. You are wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
duder#4
METAL UP YOUR ASS!
57 IQ
To me it sounds like your picking hand is slightly touching the other strings.
smokin a few joints!
drinkin a few minotaurs!,
Rockin!
NigeP
109 IQ
I suggest you try a little less volume, it sounds to me like you are trying too hard Just relax. On a side note, I'm not sure if its the recording but you do have some hiss there.
Junior#1
238 IQ
Your muting needs a lot of work. That was extremely sloppy. Getting a new amp won't fix that.

The hissing sounds like it's one of 3 things:
1. Your amp has a problem
2. Your cables are garbage
3. Your output jack on your guitar needs to be resoldered.

First check to see if there are any loose wires on your output jack. If there are it's a pretty easy fix and it's virtually free as long as you or someone you know has a soldering iron and knows how to use it. If that's not the problem, get a new cable as that would be the next cheapest option. If all else fails, get a new amp.
Quote by Geldin
maverick691
237 IQ
Quote by Junior#1
Your muting needs a lot of work. That was extremely sloppy. Getting a new amp won't fix that.

The hissing sounds like it's one of 3 things:
1. Your amp has a problem
2. Your cables are garbage
3. Your output jack on your guitar needs to be resoldered.

First check to see if there are any loose wires on your output jack. If there are it's a pretty easy fix and it's virtually free as long as you or someone you know has a soldering iron and knows how to use it. If that's not the problem, get a new cable as that would be the next cheapest option. If all else fails, get a new amp.

What are some ways that I can improve on my sloppyness? I think a problem that I have is that when I practice a song I want to learn it as fast as possible so maybe I am speeding up to quickly and incorporating bad habits into my playing as I speed up. I've tried so many ways to mute. Currently I mute the higher strings with index of fretting hand and the lower strings with picking hand thumb and palm. Am I doing it incorrectly?
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by maverick691
What are some ways that I can improve on my sloppyness? I think a problem that I have is that when I practice a song I want to learn it as fast as possible so maybe I am speeding up to quickly and incorporating bad habits into my playing as I speed up. I've tried so many ways to mute. Currently I mute the higher strings with index of fretting hand and the lower strings with picking hand thumb and palm. Am I doing it incorrectly?

Sounds like you just need a bit more patience to me, if you don't get something clean and perfect slowly and make sure that you can do it without thinking then you can't get it perfect at tempo either.

Album.
Legion.
maverick691
237 IQ
So I've noticed some progress. I am trying to mute the strings with my fretting hand more and figured out that sometimes the edge of the finger laying on the strings was causing it to slightly ring out sometimes. How can I reduce that hiss noise I get when I play on my amp? yes it only is when my boss mt2 is used that the hiss gets out of controll
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by yoyoloto
Look no further, Tom hess to the rescue :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Lmax0AkRBl4&feature=endscreen

I just found this today, lucky.

No. Screw that money-grubbing bastard. He deserves no time from anyone.

Muting video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc

Album.
Legion.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by maverick691
So I've noticed some progress. I am trying to mute the strings with my fretting hand more and figured out that sometimes the edge of the finger laying on the strings was causing it to slightly ring out sometimes. How can I reduce that hiss noise I get when I play on my amp? yes it only is when my boss mt2 is used that the hiss gets out of controll

Pedals don't work well with modelling amps - you *might* get away with it on the JC clean model but on any of the other settings yes, it's going to be uncontrollably noisy.

You're also probably using too much gain, you're probably better of ditching the pedal to be honest, but if the hiss is acceptable on the JC clean model then fair enough.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

kemingt
Barned
155 IQ
and i thought i was sloppy...lol

you really should play SLOWLY when learning a song/practicing a scale. REALLY REALLY slow. don't speed up till you can play it perfectly and cleanly, WITHOUT the strings ringing out. and try analyzing your technique as well: is it your fretting hand's fingers that are brushing against the strings and causing them to ring out or your pick accidentally hitting the strings?
THE BEST UPGRADE FOR YOUR GUITAR IS PRACTICE
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Why on earth are you using a MT 2 with the gain dimed to play Hendrix??? There is waaaay too much distortion there...you've got enough gain there to kill a rhino.

Throw the pedal away, use the classic stack model on the cube with the gain about halfway and throw in some reverb for Hendrix stuff. Yes you're sloppy and your technique needs work but that's no reason to make life doubly difficult, if you set your amp sensibly you've at least got a fighting chance of sorting things out.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

maverick691
237 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
Why on earth are you using a MT 2 with the gain dimed to play Hendrix??? There is waaaay too much distortion there...you've got enough gain there to kill a rhino.

Throw the pedal away, use the classic stack model on the cube with the gain about halfway and throw in some reverb for Hendrix stuff. Yes you're sloppy and your technique needs work but that's no reason to make life doubly difficult, if you set your amp sensibly you've at least got a fighting chance of sorting things out.

Yeah pretty foolish decision by me to use the mt2 but I'll be selling it now that I've got the 502 evh 5150 iii. I am still getting this annoying unwanted noise when I bend a string? How should I be bending the strings?
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated
1,313 IQ
ya know it might have been said, but just to throw it out there...You never need as much gain as you think you need...so many heavy bands arent using ALOT of gain, they just are playing in a heavy way...you can set your gain to be more of a classic rock tone and still add a heavy vibe to it.

My opinion would be to ONLY practice on a 100% clean setting until you are confident in what you are doing and then introduce overdrive in small steps...starting with the bare minimum. the More gain you use the more noise you will have to fight!

But if you can play it clean you can play it overdriven....while playing on a clean setting see if you are getting unwanted noise, it will still be apparent. IMO playing on a clean setting or even using an acoustic will really give you an idea of how sloppy you are and how much you need to fix things...

Dont feel let down though...even the greatest players have to clean off some sloppiness from time to time!
Sleaze Disease
UnBanned
420 IQ
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
You never need as much gain as you think you need...

This x infinity.
They should engrave this on amps, right above the gain knob.

When I first realized this, it was like an epiphany.
Everybody talks about the 'Holy Grail of Tone' and, IMO, this is the secret starting point that you'd think more people would realize, but don't.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
maverick691
237 IQ
**** this shit. I put in so much time to practice muting and I always hear a faint string ringing out or just excess noise yet I have my palm on the strings I am not playing and I even put my thumb on the strings for more muting but the strings are still finding a way to ring out. I ****ing get it already I am ****ing pathetic every ****ing thing I've tried. I am good at nothing. ****
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
it takes patience to get muting right man,No other technique has pissed me off more than muting in terms of it seeming like it just won't work, its just important to do it the right way and be patient with it.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.