Page 1 of 2
BoneAndDream
60 IQ
a friend of mine has a 6505+ and i asked him why the gain was on 10, he said he liked how it sounded. my god, i'm a serious death metal player myself but i couldnt imagine diming the gain ever. why would people do this? just....why?
gumbilicious
beginner
250 IQ
i just run my guitar through a moog freqbox on square wave setting now. max clipping.

i used to do that when i was first starting. i didn't know any better.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 2, 2012,
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
To be fair, there's not really any difference between 7 and 10 on a 6505. Don't worry about it, people do things with their gear that you won't like... it's theirs, not yours.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
BoneAndDream
60 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
To be fair, there's not really any difference between 7 and 10 on a 6505. Don't worry about it, people do things with their gear that you won't like... it's theirs, not yours.

yeah i know, if they like it then they should do it it just seems so strange
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
210 IQ
After 7 it just gets messier. The guy would sound better at 6 for sure
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Maybe he wants mushy to cover his mistakes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
10 IQ
why do people play in drop c and shit? your best of just letting people do what they want.
everyone has different tastes, let him do his thing and one day he will figure out that more gain isnt better
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
10 IQ
Quote by darkwolf291
To play within the Vocalist's vocal range

if only that was why all people did it
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Maybe he just likes mud.

I keep my gain on my DSL at 5, sometimes 6 and that is too much gain for me. I can accomplish every thing I need with that. When I played a 6505 I had the gain at 3
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Quote by innertom
why do people play in drop c and shit? your best of just letting people do what they want.
everyone has different tastes, let him do his thing and one day he will figure out that more gain isnt better

Oh god, a whole step down with the bottom string dropped? SO LOW.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
Anyone who needs gain as high as a 6505 on 10 really needs to get their shit together and learn how to play and sound heavy and not use tons of distortion to cover up their mistakes. The drive knob on a 6505 shouldn't cross 4 unless you are younger than 16.

Seriously, as of recently I've been running my Jet City with the preamp knob on 3. Heavy sound comes from tight and aggressive right-hand technique, not a shit ton of distortion.

Quote by innertom
if only that was why all people did it
Not all vocalists are like Rob Halford or Geddy Lee. If you like blowing your voice box out straining to hit notes out of your range, fine with me.

I think full-step down + thicker strings gives better tone anyway.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Drop D is fun and it isn't just for metalheads singing like cookie monster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 3, 2012,
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
Lower tunings have a thicker sound, and sometimes the notes being called on to play are lower than E. I actually play with it at D#. It was just a lot more comfortable since I primarily play 4ths and 5ths. I started doing it when I first started playing and now it's stuck with me.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
50 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Anyone who needs gain as high as a 6505 on 10 really needs to get their shit together and learn how to play and sound heavy and not use tons of distortion to cover up their mistakes. The drive knob on a 6505 shouldn't cross 4 unless you are younger than 16.

it's always about age with you isn't it. I agree with you about 1/2 or full step down and thick strings gives better tone.

and lol cookie monster again.
ikey_
370 IQ
i can see drop C like system of of a down and a lot of heavy stuff, chevel, breaking benjamin, etc, etc.

no lower. but honestly, if you think you need to drop to sound heavy, you need to listen to more music cause drop D and whole step down can sound heavy as heck.

i think dropped tunings are more for a playing style than the sound. playing drop C is worlds difference than standard. worlds.

being able to fret power chords with 1 finger, and basically hammer out chords with 3-4 fingers very quickly definitely gives a differernt riffage....a la system of a down.

not to mention all your notes are all moved around plus the dropped string.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
Quote by ikey_

i think dropped tunings are more for a playing style than the sound. playing drop C is worlds difference than standard. worlds.

being able to fret power chords with 1 finger, and basically hammer out chords with 3-4 fingers very quickly definitely gives a differernt riffage....a la system of a down.

Absolutely this. It's really unfortunate how many "I will never play that metal shit" people (and even a ton of metal players) don't realize this. I have a guitar in Drop C, and a guitar in C Standard. I come up with completely different styles of riffs on each. You can make riffs on one you just can't make on the other.

I don't think any tuning is wrong, and I find it kind of silly that people care. If it sits well in the mix and everything meshes well (vocals and guitars), then it's good. It's important to not be ignorant about stuff just because you don't like it. A lot of people don't like extreme/death metal, and that's fine. They don't have to. But don't write off B standard and C Standard just because you don't use your voice that low.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
innertom
Registered Sex Offender
10 IQ
Was just trying to use an example of letting people do there own thing.
Appologies if I afended anyone. I have no problem with drop tuning where appropriate.
gumbilicious
beginner
250 IQ
Quote by innertom
Was just trying to use an example of letting people do there own thing.
Appologies if I afended anyone. I have no problem with drop tuning where appropriate.

**** 'em. let them get upset. i don't see anything you said that people should get that bent outta shape about.

for the music i play, standard is the right fit. i played in drop D for a while, def has a different feel and i have a couple pieces on my profile that reflect that.

drop C is what other people use, it is their right fit.

too much gain doesn't fit my style right now, other people like over-the-top gain
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 3, 2012,
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
10 IQ
EVERY metal band i play shows with has their gain maxed out. Most of them have a ts-9 or some type of over drive on top of that. All i hear is a wall of hiss and mud when they play, and when you try to tell them otherwise you get shit for it.
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
There are a shitload of songs played in drop D that are not metal. It's not about having extra bass, it's about riffage. Monkey Wrench is in drop D and that's hardly metal. I always had a guitar tuned into drop D on stage with me when I was playing grunge and it was surprising how many times it got used.
Hell, the bottom two strings are tuned down a full step when playing in open G too. Bad to The Bone is metal?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
^ Doesn't get much more metal than brass instruments. Much more metal than wooden guitars.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
I play a shit ton of acoustic songs with heavy arpeggios on drop d. Drop D is not a metal tuning. Now, I can riff the shit out of some metal on drop D. But tunings are not limited to a certain type of music.

Alter Bridge uses Korn tunings occasionally like drop A and theyre more rock than anything.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Quote by tas38
^ Doesn't get much more metal than brass instruments. Much more metal than wooden guitars.
So metal guitarists should all be playing Dobros?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
A dobro...? OH those things with a car rim in the middle.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Yeah.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
130 IQ
I have my acoustic set up with some thick strings tuned down a whole step. It sounds great

Doesn't get much more metal than an acoustic.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
290 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah.

I'd do it.

As far as using too much gain, I don't know, it really depends. A 6505 does get really fizzy, so probably not on that, but I think some amps sound wicked with the gain floored. A lot of Mesas sound brutal as shit all the way up on the distortion.

Its all about context. A good death metal tone ( an actual good one, not just a good shitty tone) can have a lot of distortion and sound great, but you have to use it right, thick, juicy chords that just slam you in the gut, rather than something super noodly.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
it's always about age with you isn't it.
Yes.

Generally if you encounter younger metal players they max out gain on EVERYTHING and always scoop their mids. The lack of maturity and over self-absorbedness and are too afraid to turn down the distortion with the fear that their mistakes would be exposed to the max.

Quote by ikey_

I disagree with this. I mean, drop tuning (C or D) certainly does have unique advantages, but if you are only using it for the sole reason of power-chord convenience, that just comes off as cheating.

The reason I've found myself using it often is because it unlocks unique chord shapes as well as changing the way the rest of the strings react to the first 3. As in you can arpeggiate certain things better with the open 4 strings.

It's hard to explain in words, I'll see if I can find an example or record something when I'm done with classes. If you listen to quite a bit of Dream Theater or Mastadon you hear them make a good bit.

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0G9XKuHdE
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 4, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
It's not cheating, it allows you to do hammer ons of chords on all three bass strings. I don't give a crap how good you are, how can you do those hammer ons in standard tuning? It's no more cheating than using open tuning to play slide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls
10 IQ
I don't really see how making something easier is cheating. And like Cathbard said, you can't really do those hammer-on chords shenanigans in standard.
RIP Adam
SexyLikeAPig
Don't judge us fat girls
10 IQ
I like down-tunings. I don't play metal, but I like the sounds and tones you can get from them. Same with open tunings, which tend to have dropped strings in them.
RIP Adam
Kikuta
Grim and Frostbitten
40 IQ
My Megalith Beta's "clean" channel just so happens to sound fucking amazing when you crank all the dials on it. Glorious amounts of crunch. Similarly, the lead channel sounds tits when you max out the gain dial running on the 'low gain' voicing mode. Super tight, modern sound that is perfect for recording.
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
110 IQ
I suppose capos are cheating?
BoneAndDream
60 IQ
lol @ all the phaggots getting mad about drop tunings

i have one guitar in e standard, one in c standard

my next guitar i plan to put in drop B