I recently bought Berklee's Modern Method for Guitar to practice sight reading, and a few pages in im already having trouble sight reading the chords...

what can i do to make this process easier?
Practice. That's it.

Studying diatonic harmony will help you recognize patterns, but ultimately it just takes time.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Learn your common chord shapes and your drop 2 chords
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
so im assuming that this is one of those things that you'll learn with practice and practice alone...
Last edited by johnyere at Dec 4, 2012,
uh, that's pretty much what learning is

practicing and assessing and understanding the information until processing it is second-nature

there's not a short-cut for learning calculus or to do parkour or wikihow would be a hell of a lot less stupid of a site, so why would it be any different with music?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
slow down. I believe sight reading should be fluent. To do this we need to be able to practice at a variety of tempos.
%download lilypond from www.lilypond.org
%and copy and paste the following for sight reading chord study in open position
\version "2.14.2"

}
\relative c' {

< c e g c e>2
< c e g c e>4
< c e g c e>4
%2
< a e' a c e>8
< a e' a c e>8
< a e' a c e>8
< a e' a c e>8
< a e' a c e>4
< a e' a c e>4
%3
<d a' d f> 4
<d a' d f> 4
< g, b d g b g'>4
< g b d g b g'>4
%4
< c e g c e>2
< g b d g b g'>4
< g b d g b g'>4
%5
<c e g c e>1

}
Quote by johnyere
I recently bought Berklee's Modern Method for Guitar to practice sight reading, and a few pages in im already having trouble sight reading the chords...

It's sort of a cheat, but with the diatonic chords, if you know your key, all you have to do is recognize the root of the chord, because a diatonic chord will be three notes stacked on adjacent lines/spaces in the staff.

Well, with the basic voicings, at least.
Quote by HotspurJr
It's sort of a cheat, but with the diatonic chords, if you know your key, all you have to do is recognize the root of the chord, because a diatonic chord will be three notes stacked on adjacent lines/spaces in the staff.

Well, with the basic voicings, at least.

that doesn't really work, because chords played on guitar often do not have the root in the bass.

the ones in the berklee modern method book are no exception.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by johnyere

Practice reading triads in root position and all inversions. Treble staff only.

Get familiar with bass clef. Then study SATB arrangements of chords.

Practice.