Page 1 of 2
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne
811 IQ
This thread was inspired by a friend of mine who said that she could not get into 1984.

A lot of people don't like this book because they say that not much really happens. I personally loved this book.

I find that action isn't really that exciting to read, and so I don't understand why people don't like a book because the character isn't fighting zombies or blowing things up. Sure, there wasn't a lot of action in 1984, but I liked it because it made me think, I suppose.

So, what makes a book good in your eyes?
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Paper.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned
3,467 IQ
^ What? 1984 was brilliant. Back when I hated reading, it got me back into reading in high school. Absolutely gripping.

Pacing makes a book good. If a book calls for an in depth, 4 page description of an area, then so be it. If it doesn't, it will kill the book.
If a book calls for that kind of description and it isn't offered, same thing. Book will suck.
Of course many other things affect if a book is good or not, but, just like movies, if a book is aware of how it should be paced, then it is well made.
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,715 IQ
Quote by Hydra150
Paper.

And some letters. And maybe a number or two.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
werds and gewd speelig.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
A good writer.
And the appropriate avenues of publication.
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
pitchers.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,715 IQ
And a huge font so things are easier to read.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
I think author has a lot to do with it. I love everything i have read by Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Hinton because the style of the individuals portrayed in their writing.
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned
3,467 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
I think author has a lot to do with it. I love everything i have read by Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Hinton because the style of the individuals portrayed in their writing.

Don't forget McCarthy. His style is just so unorthodox at times. Love it.
And Joyce. Joyce was a truly masterful writer.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
For me, a well-developed and complex plot makes a good book.

There's way too many books that build up & up and then climax with something that amounts to "the good guy won" (and doesn't really have that good of a detailed description of the final battle, so to speak); this is especially true of the fantasy genre. However, those books that really grip are books that have a very complex and detailed plot throughout, including the ending. Tolkien is a great example of an author who understood this.

For the record, I found 1984 to be one of the best books I've ever read.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 4, 2012,
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
77 IQ
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Don't forget McCarthy. His style is just so unorthodox at times. Love it.
And Joyce. Joyce was a truly masterful writer.

No Country For Old Men was amazing, and ive been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Ulysses
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
mystical_1
Doomed
336 IQ
I enjoy a good antagonist that you'd love to reach into the book to punch in the stomach, and tension building is an art form. Tension keeps you reading.

Also, extensive research about a subject before the book is written. One of my favorite authors, Ken Roberts would research for several years before writing a single word. Even Louis L'Amour who writes westerns would actually go to the locations he would write about first. It matters.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned
3,467 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
No Country For Old Men was amazing, and ive been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Ulysses

Do it do it do it.
It's so fucking long but you'll really feel like you've found something special just as soon as you start reading.
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle
242 IQ
The perks of being a wallflower.

For me, it's felling a sense of relation to a character and "Charlie" has been the closest I've ever been to that.
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
One thing I really enjoy (and this pertains to any kind of storytelling) is having a villain you can be sympathetic towards. Torn loyalties make great drama. None of that 'take over the world!' bullshit.
666atheist666
Pagan_Poetry
The Twilight Stoned
3,467 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
One thing I really enjoy (and this pertains to any kind of storytelling) is having a villain you can be sympathetic towards. Torn loyalties make great drama. None of that 'take over the world!' bullshit.

This applies to movies too.
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
It should have those buttons on the side that you press for sound effects, like this.

But it can't be in Russian. If I can't understand the language, there is significantly less of a chance I will finish it.

The exception is a book that was written in another language but then translated.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
This applies to movies too.

Yeah, I said that.
666atheist666
girlgerms007
mostly harmless
133 IQ
a flip-o-rama
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Concision. It doesn't need to be dry and dull, but nothing kills a good story more than being needlessly wordy. I can't tell you how many good books and stories have been killed by purple prose for me.
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 81-81
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2015: 5-11
2015 Pick 'Em: 155-101
the bartender
UG's biology teacher
429 IQ
ITT: opinions.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by the bartender

Excellently spotted. I bet you're really good at reading books.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Dec 4, 2012,
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by the bartender

What do you think TS was looking for ?
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Quote by the bartender

Quote by StopReadingThis
So, what makes a book good in your eyes?

That's the point.

guitarxo
cat
1,647 IQ
Character development is the most important thing imo
cat
Harvey Swick
Naive American
1,260 IQ
Quote by girlgerms007
a flip-o-rama

If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
necrosis1193
UG Nerd
8,778 IQ
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Bartender didn't notice that part of the post because he listened to TS's username.

Harvey Swick
Naive American
1,260 IQ
relateable characters, interesting plot, and good writing.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Someone dying at the end of the first chapter

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Cianyx
UG Nerd
1,216 IQ
Russian and has enough pages to smother a 5 year old
jakesmellspoo
turndiningbackintoeating
2,165 IQ
not being written by Ayn Rand.
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
A great story and attention to detail make the best books. Those are nothing without brilliant prosody and appropriate language skills though.

For example, I could never flaw Tolkien on his story or detail in Lord of the Rings but I don't really like the way the books are written. Peter Jackson took the story and all of Tolkien's details and made them into something (I believe to be) altogether more spectacular. (Though Peter Jackson makes movies, not books.)

On the other end of the spectrum, Douglas Adams wrote silly, absurdist stories, but the way he wrote and the way he phrased everything was ****ing brilliant. If you had given somebody else the plot of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and asked them to write it, probably wouldn't be anywhere near the standard of Adams'. The TV and movie adaptations are alright, but they employ narrators to read some of Adam's brilliant descriptions that would have been otherwise lost.
Quote by the bartender

ITL (In this life): Opinions.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Dec 4, 2012,