Page 3 of 4
Quote by VanTheKraut
Animal's kill members of their own species quite frequently. A group of pigs will straight up devour their farmer if he falls in the pin during feeding time. And then there's always this.

BBC News - Oregon farmer eaten by pigs

He's not loin.
Quote by VanTheKraut

I love how that one wolf ahead of the pack is like, "What the ****? Alright, chow time"
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Todd Hart
Yeah, but they don't do it for religious reasons.
You don't know that.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Todd Hart

What if, to the pigs, the farmer is some enemy faction leader and they attempt to kill him on sight, but only when numbers favor them?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Todd Hart

I wouldn't think the reasons for doing something made the act itself any better or worse. That's pretty weak. Killing is killing, whether you did it because your victim believes in a different God or because he shops at Sears instead of Target.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
I wouldn't think the reasons for doing something made the act itself any better or worse. That's pretty weak. Killing is killing, whether you did it because your victim believes in a different God or because he shops at Sears instead of Target.

No it's not, and I can't think of a developed nation who's laws reflect that.

Manslaughter, self-defence, cannibalism as a result of starvation...
Quote by element4433
You don't know that.

You've clearly never spoken to a pig.

Quote by eGraham
What if, to the pigs, the farmer is some enemy faction leader and they attempt to kill him on sight, but only when numbers favor them?

Well the farmer is going to kill them all.

Quote by VanTheKraut

What nonsense, of course the motive effects the morality of the act. If I murder someone for shopping at Sears then I'm a monster, if I murder him because he just made me watch as he raped and gutted by 2 year old daughter I'm clearly more validated in my action.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I think we could all be part of the same consciousness, it's the theory that makes the most sense to me. I mean we're all made of exactly the same thing.
Quote by Todd Hart
You've clearly never spoken to a pig.
I've spoken to your mother/sister/girlfriend.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I think what needs to be taken away from all of this is **** you if you don't like Kurt Vonnegut. Mother Night is an awesome book.
My view on the universe is pantheism, so yes, I agree with that statement very much so. It also is part of the reason why I am a Taoist; the Tao is part of all things and the Tao comes from nature. Therefore, we are part of the Tao and nature, which are "god."
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Todd Hart
Just saying, you don't see many pigs slaughtering one another over the colour of their skin, or over the contents of a book.

But they will eat each other simply because they are hungry or kill each other over food or territory, so I'm not sure that the motivations are particularly relevant to the end result?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Pan-Tallica
OP, you're basically a Hindu.

By no means, in fact I said in the OP that I didn't agree with the statement. Someone else I met said it.
Quote by triglide5
If God is in everyone then shouldn't the Devil be in there to?

Maybe they're the same? And the universe is tied together.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
God is everywhere.

He can be in you, too.

You just have to invite him in.

He’s like a vampire.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Zombee
Maybe they're the same? And the universe is tied together.

And maybe leprechauns and gnomes are the same as well
no, because humans in general are pieces of shit. i believe that when it comes to the soul or afterlife it's either all beings or none of them.
Quote by Dregen
no, because humans in general are pieces of shit.

I'm not holding this against you or anything, but it only makes sense to give people in general a chance. You're a human too, you wouldn't want everyone to see you as a piece of shit.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by W4RP1G
Humanity is special above all other animals due to our intelligent thought process and emotions. So yes, humanity is special, but not from a divine creator.

I wouldn't even consider us to be all that special when compaired to other animals. Yes, our intelligence is obviously superior to other species but there are so many apparently 'human' traits that we are now discovering are shared with members of other species, it's becoming quite obvious that we are not as special as we once thought we were.

Quote by Todd Hart
Just saying, you don't see many pigs slaughtering one another over the colour of their skin, or over the contents of a book.

Actualy, pigs are very territorial and have a drive to be dominant. Any pig that is considered as an outsider by a family group of pigs will often be attacked and even killed, so it can be considered that pigs are naturaly discriminatory against other pigs.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by element4433
You don't know that.

By that statement, are you suggesting that a group of pigs may have some sort of religion? O.o

Personally, I think everyone is an arsehole, myself included, some just tend to exert more "arsehole" than others, whereas others have the ability to exercise some self control. So if there is some sort of supernatural being in all of us, he's probably an arsehole
Quote by beau05
By that statement, are you suggesting that a group of pigs may have some sort of religion? O.o

No, he's stating that it's impossible to know if a group of pigs could or could not have any thoughts that could possibly be considered as 'religious' by either us or the pigs themselves.

But I will say this on the subject of possible religious thought within other species...

The eminant primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall once marveled at certain actions of chimps, how they approach a spectacular waterfall deep in the forest in a state of heightened arousal perform displays, for apparently no reason. She describes the chimps doing a dance, swaying rhythmically, stamping in the water, tossing rocks and swinging on vines out into the spray and how they also show a similar behaviour just before storms.
She's also observed chimps just sitting on rocks staring out into moving water, as if they are contemplating the great unknown.

She said;
"Is it not possible that these (chimp dance and meditation) performances are stimulated by feelings akin to wonder and awe? And if the chimpanzees could discuss these feelings among themselves, might not this lead to an animistic worship of the elements?"

I find myself in agreement with her, after all, we know that there is evidence to suggest that other species of (now extinct) hominids used to bury their dead with grave goods, which is considered as 'ritualistic' and denotes a possible belief in the afterlife, which in turn suggests the possibility of religious thoughts in species other than our own.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 5, 2012,
God is in everything? Isn't that also known as Pantheism?

I guess that being as I consider Bacon to be holy, I'd describe myself as a Frying Pantheist.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
God is in everything? Isn't that also known as Pantheism?

I guess that being as I consider Bacon to be holy, I'd describe myself as a Frying Pantheist.

Correct. God can be considered to literally be the natural world.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by eGraham

Okay Orwell, it's time for you write that book now.
We're all alright!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I recently heard this statement said by a woman I'd just met. I admit I don't really agree with it. But it got me wondering (a few days later)...how much of the Pit thinks humanity has some sort of divine spark? Even if you just think that "spark" is known as your "conscience"? Is there something in humanity that makes us special, something that could be attributed to some higher being?

Or would you say, "No"? If no, why?

Now, let's please not turn this into another thread where the "religious" people bash the Atheists or visa-versa. This isn't meant to be a "religious" topic; it's more a philosophical discussion. So, mind your manners, gentlefolk!

No, we're just animals. We fit into the domain of animals. We have more general-purpose intelligence and self-awareness than other animals but that's just our niche; like having long necks is the niche of giraffes.

Our biggest problem is our disappointment in finding out we're nothing special. Some people can't handle that, so they invented gods and creation myths.
The psychological factors that allowed human beings to invent God are in all of us.
Quote by Jehannum
Our biggest problem is our disappointment in finding out we're nothing special. Some people can't handle that, so they invented gods and creation myths.

There's not much of a chance that most religions were 'invented' in any conscious way.

Quote by Bikewer
The psychological factors that allowed human beings to invent God are in all of us.

As are the psychological factors that allows people to murder, and rape, and steal, and eat orphan hearts, etc. It doesn't really prove anything.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Nah we just have a higher form of consciousness than most animals due to the amount of shrooms we did during the evolutionary process.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Nah we just have a higher form of consciousness than most animals due to the amount of shrooms we did during the evolutionary process.

You're assuming that shrooms would have an effect on a being of lower consciousness (as we would have been before our current state of the "evolutionary process").
God, as in the christian God, our lord and saviour? Yes, he must be.

As for the other Gods? No way.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Why are the chords G and d in everyone?

probably because GM and dm together make the best progression ever

just add some D dorian scales over that shit just like the Serenade of Water
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I have been thinking about that, the best way to explain what is with an example.

Say you have a moisty planet somewhere without life on it and you were to predict weather for 3 months forward with extreme precision. Right now we don't have the technology, but IF you could gather all the data of all the molecules, gravitational field (and all the other ones), nearby comets that may affect the weather with their gravity.. Could you make a prediction for 3 months? I think yes, but only hypothetically, theoretically, extremely hard.

If we are just some matter, and our consciousness is a complex system of electrical impulses connected with the structure of the nervous system. In that way, all the physical laws should apply to us and therefore, if we had enough data, we could predict what we are going to do in the next few seconds. But if I tell you a prediction of that, you could choose whether you would do as the prediction says or not. Therefore it's impossible to make such a thing for a consciouss being.

If we assume that unnatural doesn't exist, then consciousness is some hell of a thing either way.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You're assuming that shrooms would have an effect on a being of lower consciousness (as we would have been before our current state of the "evolutionary process").

Its better than assuming some magical being from no where added this higher consciousness while we were apes. Plus, mushrooms help explain a lot of religions and such.
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Dec 5, 2012,
I've been hella interested in like spirituality lately. I'm too skeptical and guarded to be spiritual, but maybe one day. ;~;
Tried the spirituality thing way back in the early teens. Went to church many times to see if I "felt" anything. The only thing I ever felt while in church was a strong desire to get the f#ck outta there!
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Its better than assuming some magical being from no where added this higher consciousness while we were apes. Plus, mushrooms help explain a lot of religions and such.