Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.
2,095 IQ
Hello,

I've got an all original 1982 JCM800 SuperBass with vertical inputs.

It's been used, but it's not bad... just the tolex is a bit broken some places, but the wood enclosure is perfectly fine.

How much would I get for this amp on a North American market and on an European?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
depending on how "bad" the tolex is tore, $800-1000 in the US but it could be more or less depending on the buyer

now if it has not been re-caped I wouldnt pay more than $550 for it because it is going to need $200+ worth of work (if you don't know how to do it and pay a tech)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 4, 2012,
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Calling Cathbard for American and European prices?

There was an almost identical thread a couple weeks ago. The consensus was $1200 was the high mark, and the average probably just under $1000.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1573956&highlight=jcm+800+vertical
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.
2,095 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
depending on how "bad" the tolex is tore, $800-1000 in the US but it could be more or less depending on the buyer

now if it has not been re-caped I wouldnt pay more than $550 for it because it is going to need $200+ worth of work (if you don't know how to do it and pay a tech)

What is a re-cap? It plays perfectly...

EDIT: I bought it for 600€ (750$, I think) So basically what I want to hear is that I didn't get punched in the face.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Last edited by Tim the Rocker at Dec 4, 2012,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
i'm gonna say ~$700 in the US.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
tubetime86
1,633 IQ
Quote by Tim the Rocker
What is a re-cap? It plays perfectly...

EDIT: I bought it for 600€ (750$, I think) So basically what I want to hear is that I didn't get punched in the face.

I usually know when I've been punched in the face.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.
2,095 IQ
Well, the other band that rehearsed in my garage's bass player bought it for 550€ and he kept blowing fuses, some what the tech said it couldn't handle the Low A on a bass guitar... so he offered it to me for 600€, so he could make back the money spent on gas (that was foolish of me to accept) but he put it on top of my two marshall cabs and there is was, the JCM800, a tower of clean sounds. I got a gear-boner and had to have it.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I can tell you how it works, what tubes and speakers to run and how to fix it or mod it but I don't know prices over there, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.
2,095 IQ
Ah, OK Cath. I just had an idea that you knew a whole lot about amps, so I took a blind shot in the dark.

Maybe on a side note you could explain what that re-capping someone was refering to is about?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
tubetime86
1,633 IQ
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Ah, OK Cath. I just had an idea that you knew a whole lot about amps, so I took a blind shot in the dark.

Maybe on a side note you could explain what that re-capping someone was refering to is about?

Capacitors go bad over time. If the amp has never been recapped then it definitely needs it. A bad cap can cause catastrophic failures that can damage other parts of the amp. New caps will also improve the sound of the amp a bit. It's similar to replacing the battery in your car; your car can run with a weak battery, but not well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Meh. It's unlikely that it needs to be recapped. Those old LCRs last practically forever. I'd bet he's still got another 15-20 years on them, more if he takes care of them correctly.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker
480 IQ
Quote by Tim the Rocker

As electrolytic capacitors get older, the electrolyte, which in most cases is a fluid, dries. This makes the capacitors capacitance change, which in turn affects the sound. Re-capping is replacing the old capacitors with new ones, usually the same value as the original ones.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
tubetime86
1,633 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
Meh. It's unlikely that it needs to be recapped. Those old LCRs last practically forever. I'd bet he's still got another 15-20 years on them, more if he takes care of them correctly.

Oh really? Never heard of that.

TS - Matt knows better than I do so I trust his opinion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork
4,770 IQ
Don't the Super Bass amps command a higher price than the 2203/4s? At least the JMP's did I thought?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Tim the Rocker
I own a Cabriolet.
2,095 IQ
Quote by Flux'D
Don't the Super Bass amps command a higher price than the 2203/4s? At least the JMP's did I thought?

Yea, that was where I was going. It's easy to find used jcm800 for guitar and the prices, but the superbass is a little less common and i'm having a hard time finding it.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H