Page 1 of 3
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
840 IQ
Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Since I was procrastinating studying for my finals I decided to record a real quick clip to upload for people to practice their mixing. This is the first minute or so of "Confined" by As I Lay Dying. It's super simple, 2 guitars, bass, and drums.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/UG%20Stuff/Confined%20Raw%20Tracks.rar

In the .rar archive you should find:

* A MIDI track with the drums as well as tempo map. For the those without a drum plugin, I've included audio bounces for the drums.

* Drums:
-Stereo OH
-Stereo Ambient Room
-Stereo Reverb Bus
-Mono Room
-Mono Kick L
-Mono Kick R
-Mono Snare Top
-Mono Snare Bottom
-Mono Hats

* Guitar DI - 2 mono tracks

* Bass DI - mono

The guitar DIs clip a bit here and there and the strings are super old, but they sound fine once they're reamped and will be just fine for mixing practice.

Here's all the raw audio files with x50 and recabinet slapped on the guitars just so people have an idea what they're getting before they download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/UG%20Stuff/Confined%20Sample%20Mix.mp3

I would love to hear what everyone else comes up with! Ideally this will be a helpful thread for people working on their mixing skills to get feed back and since everyone has access to the same audio files, people will be able to give more precise advice, etc.

Cheers!
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Dec 5, 2012,
Whiskas
167 IQ
Sweet, I'm gonna give it a try since I really need to improve my mixing skills.
mulefish
UG Addict
2,084 IQ
Sweet; haven't seen this done on ug before!

I might give this a shot at some point and upload results
RIP Gooze

cats
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
I may actually mess with this since I'll probably win "MOST BR00TALZ KICKS!" with SSD CLA Expansion :p

I wish we could come up with like a weekly "Mix This Session" contest...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
This is a pretty neat idea dude! I dont have much time to mess around with it but I like your thinking
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
I may actually mess with this since I'll probably win "MOST BR00TALZ KICKS!" with SSD CLA Expansion :p

I wish we could come up with like a weekly "Mix This Session" contest...

I think we should
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
I know there was a site that had a bunch of stems & sessions ready to be mixed but I forgot where it was at. Maybe if I find it again, we can have like a Mix Of The Week contest starting shortly after the new years (since trying to get it started now would suck).

It would be just one of those things to help people hone in on their mixing skills & would just be fun to see various forum members battle it out for whose got the best mix.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,774 IQ
Yeah but the people at Ultimate Metal are all about a million times better than us xD

I'd be up for this too, the one problem being is getting raw tracks. I'd say we'd do one once a month as opposed to once a week.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
I know there was a site that had a bunch of stems & sessions ready to be mixed but I forgot where it was at. Maybe if I find it again, we can have like a Mix Of The Week contest starting shortly after the new years (since trying to get it started now would suck).

It would be just one of those things to help people hone in on their mixing skills & would just be fun to see various forum members battle it out for whose got the best mix.

you wouldn't happen to be talking about this site would you? That really does sound like some fun to be had.
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Chatter, that's the site, I found it again after a quick Google Search. I bet we could get away with using the Ultimate Metal stems since they're letting others mix them for free anyways.

Chem, I was thinking Bi-Weekly. It would start on a Monday & you'd get until the following Monday to have their mix submitted to a streamable site (Soundcloud, Youtube, Ect.). Then either have a vote for the best or just have a couple people listen to them and give feedback till the next one starts. Between the Ultimate Metal stems, the site Chatter posted and the few other sites I found, we could get something going pretty easily.

Sorry to completely derail your thread Odi :p
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
154 IQ
Very cool, I'm pretty new to mixing so I'll definitely give this a go for some experience.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Shornifier
Shornifier
351 IQ
Dude! You just totally made my funkin day! Been waiting for opportunities like this for a long time. Certainly would've been much more enjoyable if you had brighter strings haha. And yes, it would be a great idea to have these sort of things regularly (I don't care much for competition, but getting feedback is important).

Spent about an hour on it, first time hearing this song. Quite a nice tune. I turned the guitars down a bit, maybe too much. I am aware of the cymbals interfering with the left panned guitar; a bit lazy to touch up on that at the moment lol.

https://soundcloud.com/shornebaek/confined-remastered

I would be very grateful for any comments/feedback/constructive criticism/collaboration offers/free t-shirts/etc.

PS: Odirunn, did you record these drums? I very much like their sound. Especially the kick.
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
ibanezfaz
Ibanez Faz
396 IQ
Nice mix Shornifer, you already pointed out the the cymbals need a bit of work so they don't interfere with the guitar. I also thing you could knock a bit of top end out of the guitars. I think they get a little bit fizzy in some parts. The overall levelling is good until the left guitar gets drowned out by the cymbal. Awesome little addition at the end as well haha.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Ima record some vocals to this, so you can add them in. Would be nice to hear some full mixes, cause it's much easier to get a nice sounding instrumental, than it is to get a full mix with vocals
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
840 IQ
Quote by Shornifier

PS: Odirunn, did you record these drums? I very much like their sound. Especially the kick.

No sir, they're bounced straight from Toontrack Metalmachine EZX.

I'll see about grabbing some new strings this weekend and recording the whole thing for matrix to put vox on. I can put up the Strange Faces raws in a week or two as well if there's enough interest.
Let's party.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Here's the stems to the vocals, I just did 1 main track and 1 "background" track, which doesn't really have much on it, but you get the idea:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Vocal%20Progress/Confined_VocalStems.zip

Here's the vocals over Odirunn's original track, so you can hear how it should sound, though it should all drop right into your DAW and line up perfectly:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Vocal%20Progress/Confined_vox.mp3

Quote by ibanezfaz
This is a really good idea. Thank for uploading the tracks. As said by other people, it would be cool to have a weekly / bi-weekly mix competition.

Here is my attempt anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/ibanezfaz/confined-mix

What are you using for drums?

I LOVE that snare... Probably not something I'd use often (and really not a snare that I feel really fits with this song, either), but man, it sounds so epic
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,774 IQ
I'll try and get something done if I get some spare time.

I'm meant to be mixing my bands first song too and I just don't have the time to quantise all those drums =\

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Whiskas
167 IQ
@SHaun : the guitars sound really great! But I find that the kick is too loud and detached from the rest of the mix.

@Matrix : thank you so much, I will make a new version with your awesome vocals
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick
1,422 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'll try and get something done if I get some spare time.

I'm meant to be mixing my bands first song too and I just don't have the time to quantise all those drums =\

I feel ya. I have a huge to-do list before this Tuesday
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam
840 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw

I LOVE that snare... Probably not something I'd use often (and really not a snare that I feel really fits with this song, either), but man, it sounds so epic

Sounds like the Metal Foundry piccolo to me!
Let's party.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by Odirunn
Sounds like the Metal Foundry piccolo to me!

Oh yeah? I haven't really played around with MF much, aside from the cymbals. I'll have to check it out
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
ibanezfaz
Ibanez Faz
396 IQ

The snare is the 7x13 Tomas Haake snare from SD2 Metal Foundry. Got some extra compression and reverb on it though.

Cheers for the vocal tracks. Just uploading a version with them added now!
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,774 IQ
Quote by lockwolf
I feel ya. I have a huge to-do list before this Tuesday

Gotta re-record a bass part too... I really can't be (b)assed

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Dec 5, 2012,
SHaun Steel
134 IQ
Hey Whiskas.

Guitars are sounding mighty indeed. Drums and bass are a bit far back in the mix though.
chaosmoon
49 IQ
Awesome Odirunn! I'll throw up a quick mix when I get the chance!

Also, I love the idea of doing (semi)regular things like this. I'd be down to record some quick tracks and post 'em up every once in a while.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Quote by BloodReverence
****ed around with this for a few minutes. Threw my presets on, mixed in the bass and vocals best as I could, then a bit of automation on the vox.

My kick is a lot less of a thump than the original stems, but I'm having troubles putting extra power into it.

Tell me what ya think.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19132151/Stem****.mp3

The automation on the pitch at the end is awesome, wasn't expecting that
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Shornifier
Shornifier
351 IQ
Quote by ibanezfaz
Nice mix Shornifer, you already pointed out the the cymbals need a bit of work so they don't interfere with the guitar. I also thing you could knock a bit of top end out of the guitars. I think they get a little bit fizzy in some parts. The overall levelling is good until the left guitar gets drowned out by the cymbal. Awesome little addition at the end as well haha.

Haha very nice; you caught everything that kinda bothered me; the guitar files were really dull so I had to crank the gain to 11 and bring up the mid/highs a lot, I can't afford monitors so I have to kinda guess what everyone else hears lol. Thanks a lot for the feedback, friend.

I've listened to your mix (and some others) and it's very much interesting to see how we all take different approaches to the same exact files. What are you (and everyone else) using for your guitars? I use Amplitube as I own practically no equipment at all and it's not too wonderful if I may say...great for practice though. I find Amplitube can really interfere with the rest of the sounds in the mix.

I like Shaun's drums a lot; could've used a bit more cymbal/cowbell but he really made the drums audible. Especially that snare roll...
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
Shornifier
Shornifier
351 IQ
New update! Really took some time with the drums and the guitars; I think it's a very big improvement from the first time I took a smash at it. Again, I would very much appreciate any feedback/tips&suggestions/etc.

With Vocals:
https://soundcloud.com/shornebaek/12-6-update-confined

Without Vocals (Instrumental):
https://soundcloud.com/shornebaek/12-6-update-confined-remaster
soundcloud.com/shornebaek/12-6-update-confined-remaster (incase the link is broken)

Thanks much

The little tidbits at the end aren't accidents by the way; just a reminder for all us metalheads to not take everything so seriously, yea? lol
PLAY WITH A METRONOME
Last edited by Shornifier at Dec 6, 2012,
Whiskas
167 IQ
@SHaun : would it be possible for you to share your Legion settings? I saw it was a freeware so I downloaded it but I can't get any decent sound, always have these annoying high-ends...