Poll: Your programming language?
Poll Options
View poll results: Your programming language?
C
25 28%
C++
45 51%
C#
20 23%
Python
32 36%
Perl
12 14%
Lisp
11 13%
Haskell
12 14%
Idris
11 13%
Java
40 45%
Ruby
14 16%
Voters: 88.
Page 2 of 3
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm considering writing my own 2D engine for my bachelor project, but 3D is just too much work for me right now. In my experience all commercial engines are in C++, why would you recommend C?

i like the challenge
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Java is also very much a cross platform language. Your smartphone? Probably programmed with Java. Your PC? Has some Java. Your Mac? Same as your PC. Etc.? HAS JAVA. By extension, languages like C also are somewhat cross platform. I gotta say, Object Oriented is one of the better programming concepts out there.

How dare you imply that I'd buy a Mac

But yes, its universal nature is one of the biggest things I appreciate about Java.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've started on python, and it's great. It's really really fast and actually used a lot by mathematicians and astronomers to analyze great amounts of data at a time.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by Hebriqui
I've started on python, and it's great. It's really really fast and actually used a lot by mathematicians and astronomers to analyze great amounts of data at a time.

Oh really? I was told that we (physicists) mainly use C++ by my mini-lab demonstrator... I'm working towards a major in astronomy. Not that it makes a huge difference but it's nice to know what my (hopefully eventual) peers use in general.
C# or Python.

Python only because it's so simple, it's like a toy.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
The only programming language I'm familiar with at all is Python. It's been useful on the handful of occasions I've had to deal with giant text files containing DNA sequencing data.

Also, I guess it was kind of fun for getting my foot in the door for Project Euler.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
As another poster has mentioned previously, English. I'll go a little further though. Spoken English.

What's that you say? There's currently no computer in existence that can accept spoken English and translate it into useful programs, beyond a few extremely limited applications?

Fine, I'll wait!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by conor-figgy
Oh really? I was told that we (physicists) mainly use C++ by my mini-lab demonstrator... I'm working towards a major in astronomy. Not that it makes a huge difference but it's nice to know what my (hopefully eventual) peers use in general.

The one's I've talked to say that both C++ and Python are their main goto languages. C++ is faster; it's commercial grade. Python is simple and easy to maintain. Suggest you start with Python and then learn C++ for use with bigger projects.
Quote by Arby911
As another poster has mentioned previously, English. I'll go a little further though. Spoken English.

What's that you say? There's currently no computer in existence that can accept spoken English and translate it into useful programs, beyond a few extremely limited applications?

Fine, I'll wait!

That'll be the day.

Like now, you can speak of program languages in the context of English, like

"If they enter 3, then the answer is blue"

But instead you have to type a bunch of other shit.

if(userInput == 3){
System.out.print("The answer is blue.");
} else
System.out.print("This was a gay example.");
}
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by CoreysMonster
You're a twisted man, Eastwinn.

A twisted, twisted man.

after a year or two of c#, i now officially hate object oriented programming. i could just ignore the object oriented parts of c++ but they actually slow it down slightly, so why not use C, you know?

luckily programming is only a hobby of mine and it's limited to games, simulation, and computation, so my hate of oop doesn't hold me back a bit. if i decided i wanted to make a large application with a complex gui then i'd bite the bullet and use C# or Java.

#include <cstring>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void preference(char* p) {
	if ( !strcmp(p, "Javascript") ) {
		cout << "GTFO" << endl;
	} else cout << "You're alright in my books" << endl;
}

void input(char* p) {
	cout << "Hey guy, what's your preferred programming language?" << endl;
	cin >> p;
}

int main() {
	char* p;
	input(p);
	preference(p);
}

Quote by Eastwinn
after a year or two of c#, i now officially hate object oriented programming. i could just ignore the object oriented parts of c++ but they actually slow it down slightly, so why not use C, you know?

luckily programming is only a hobby of mine and it's limited to games, simulation, and computation, so my hate of oop doesn't hold me back a bit. if i decided i wanted to make a large application with a complex gui then i'd bite the bullet and use C# or Java.

OH, FUCKING GUIs! I hate GUIs. They're so damn messy to program. Even a simple GUI can be hundreds of lines of code. My Object-Oriented Programming professor loves GUIs, and so he uses them extensively in our "labs" (which is basically where you have a program and have to either fix problems with a program). There's labs where like 3/4 of the main Java file is the GUI code. Then, you may have to edit that GUI code, which is always a bitch.

At least that's how it is in Java. I don't have experience with programming GUIs in any of the C languages.
Quote by Metallica1554
matlab :P

Oh I hate that piece of shit...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Godsmack_IV
The one's I've talked to say that both C++ and Python are their main goto languages. C++ is faster; it's commercial grade. Python is simple and easy to maintain. Suggest you start with Python and then learn C++ for use with bigger projects.

Already started with C++, it's what we were taught alongside our second year physics labs. Also, I'm taking intro to programming at the moment, C++ also.

edit: I've never used matlab extensively but I love using it for graphing the data from my lab reports.

edit2: Since we're talking about things we use in college, anyone here use LaTeX?
Last edited by conor-figgy at Dec 5, 2012,
C++

1. Because it's the only one I know
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Quote by J-Dawg158
C++

1. Because it's the only one I know

Lol. Foxtrot ftw. Of course my local newspaper removed it from the funnies
Quote by conor-figgy
Already started with C++, it's what we were taught alongside our second year physics labs. Also, I'm taking intro to programming at the moment, C++ also.

Python will be no problem for you then. It lets you skimp over a lot of the low-level stuff that C++ requires you to write. Dat convenience! The above C++ code I posted becomes...

p = input("Hey guy, what's your preferred programming language?")
if p == "Javascript":
     print "GTFO"
else:
     print "You're alright in my books"

Yeah, and whitespaces matter quite a bit in python

It's great for small scripts and learning a whole bunch of programming concepts quickly without having to get into low-level stuff.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

At least that's how it is in Java. I don't have experience with programming GUIs in any of the C languages.

if you think GUIs in java are bad, in C++ they are even worse. i had to learn Qt4.7 for my robotics research and i have to say, that shit was awful. event driven programming in general is annoying imo since all your code is spread out everywhere and its very hard to debug mistakes
Last edited by ironman1478 at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Python will be no problem for you then. It lets you skimp over a lot of the low-level stuff that C++ requires you to write. Dat convenience!

It's great for small scripts and learning a whole bunch of programming concepts quickly without having to get into low-level stuff.

Ok I'll give it another go, quick question though. I'm used to using an IDE for C++, when I downloaded python it gave me a python gui and a python command line. What's the general program for writing in python? Or do you just write in a .txt file and run it through python?
Last edited by conor-figgy at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by conor-figgy
Ok I'll give it another go, quick question though. I'm used to using an IDE for C++, when I downloaded python it gave me a python gui and a python command line. What's the general program for writing in python?

IDLE.

You can test out commands with the GUI. IDLE is your development environment.

Check out thenewboston's youtube channel, lots of great tutorials there for Python, C++, and more.
Well, I'm an astrophysics major, so we're required to use IDL (Which is not in the poll and isn't great) since it's what a lot of major databases use. It's an okay language, but I much prefer Python, the readability of the syntax is just so convenient.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Currently I only know Python, Java, and Ruby, soooo those I guess. Python is incredible though.
I web develop in PHP,

i realize that is not a true programming language, but that's my vote anyway.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I voted C++ because it's the language i have by far the most experience in, so for me it feels most natural to program in.

We had a course in Scala last year which was pretty cool. It has high level concepts, and is also really structured. I really missed that in other high level languages I've programmed in, especially javascript. If it were in the poll I would have voted Scala too. Too bad it is used almost nowhere.
No option for Assembly? Shameful. I guess that leaves C.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'd vote Java, but i only know Processing (i know, it's the most easiest) which is Java, correct?
Got into it about a year ago, never thought i'd like programming, but i have to say its possibilitys are very fascinating.

I do some stuff with Max/MSP/Jitter too, but that isn't language, amirite?

Anyway, as an artist, who doesn't know anything about coding, these are my weapons of choice.

Oh i forgot: i know some html too but i hate that shit.
Here is going to be a pretty awesome signature.
Quote by Emperor's Child

Does anyone even use Assembly anymore?...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wow...how did you forget SQL on that poll?...

I mean, really, databases (which all use SQL) are only what make just about everything run. You get on a website, chances are, it may use a database.

SQL isn't a programming language...

Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm considering writing my own 2D engine for my bachelor project, but 3D is just too much work for me right now. In my experience all commercial engines are in C++, why would you recommend C?

because C is brilliant and evil. You probably think you know how a computer program works, but you don't. C will put hair on your chest and make all your other programming better.

Quote by conor-figgy
edit2: Since we're talking about things we use in college, anyone here use LaTeX?

LaTeX is awesome, learn it early and learn it well. Used it extensively throughout my honours year this year and should have used it more as an undergrad too.

Quote by Emperor's Child

Assembly? pffft, I just write all my binaries by hand.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

short answer: yes
Quote by Diamond Dave
SQL isn't a programming language...

No, but it certainly made you facepalm, didn't it?

short answer: yes

And an example of its use is? Because I was under the impression that other programming languages do what Assembly does anyway.
Quote by sashki
What do you fine gentlemen actually use programming for?

I use it to develop applications I want. I've been working on a character creator for Tabletop RPGs I like. I occasionally it for developing video games. I've made a few games in Unity using Java. I also made a custom game server for an MMO I liked. I think it used a mix of C++, Perl, Lua, and used XML(for monsters, items, and etc.).
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Maybe not many people but anyone that uses C may need to vectorise Assembly in the code (does that make sense? is vectorise even a word?).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I remember taking a class on programming back in high school. We only used Turing and that was enough for me to stop learning.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Needless GUI rant

Hey buddy, I like GUIs

I like to make things as nice as possible for the end user. It requires an extra layer of programming, but it also makes the client look better.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, but it certainly made you facepalm, didn't it?

sooo, you were trolling?

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
And an example of its use is? Because I was under the impression that other programming languages do what Assembly does anyway.

here are several.

inb4 I don't need to do any of those things
Quote by eGraham

I like to make things as nice as possible for the end user. It requires an extra layer of programming, but it also makes the client look better.

I like and agree with this statement. I just really dislike how implementing GUIs works in Java.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 5, 2012,
Could someone here help me code a program that finds my USB when I lose it?

I lost it today before my Java class, of all things, and I had an assignment due. Luckily it was at the lost and found in the police station.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I like and agree with this statement. I just really dislike how implementing GUIs works.

It's "meh" for me. I know that OptionPane is not the best/most difficult, but I used it a lot for a simple game I wrote and became pretty comfortable with it. I've also dabbled in JFrame a bit, but not nearly enough to say I know stuff about it.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Last edited by eGraham at Dec 5, 2012,