17 15%
Haven't noticed.
60 54%
I'm one of "those people" :o
15 13%
Voters: 112.
Page 2 of 5
Quote by Wolfinator-x
ITT: Stupid, unnecessary, idiotic, metal elitism.

You forgot furries
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Trust me, if I were to review albums, I'd be much worse. I'm already too over-critical of the songs that I write (which is why I never get shit done).

I have a friend who writes generic metalcore who always gets pissy whenever I give him my honest opinion on his music. It all sounds so bland and stamped out it's not funny, and it all follows what I call the modern-metal/metalcore "grid".

You seem to enjoy subjective facts.
Quote by necrosis1193
...So then it's just two-string metal?
Yes. Except "Djent" sounds cooler. Like it sounds Russian or something, which gives it a factor of technical-ness, or something along those lines.

Quote by Avedas
You seem to enjoy subjective facts.
Like I said, it's why I can never get shit done, music related.

I've thrown away so many songs I've written because of how stupid and generic they sound to my ears.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Yes. Except "Djent" sounds cooler. Like it sounds Russian or something, which gives it a factor of technical-ness, or something along those lines.

...Why not just call it metal?

This is one of the things that always bugged me about metal is that it seems like every single band has its own genre. For a subgenre, it has way too many subgenres of bands that sound ridiculously similar to anyone but diehard fans.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 30-26
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 8-8
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Now I understand "Screamo" actually is an actual genre, but it's really annoying that the term has been used for idiots to describe harshly-sung music. Like some dumb bitch I dealt with a few weeks ago who heard Opeth and said "OMG THIS IS SOOO SCREAMO LOLOLL!!".

This is why I don't like you.
you're a stone fox
All I know is, my opinion and everyone I know in person's on "djent" is the same as our opinion on modern "prog metal"(Periphery, BTBAM, Protest The Hero, Corelia, Scale The Summit etc. etc.). I don't like it and everyone else is completely obsessed. Sorta nice if they'd differentiate it from 80s prog metal like Savatage and Crimson Glory though. Little bit of a difference between Savatage and Periphery...JUUUUUUUUUUUUST a little.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by necrosis1193
...Why not just call it metal?

This is one of the things that always bugged me about metal is that it seems like every single band has its own genre. For a subgenre, it has way too many subgenres of bands that sound ridiculously similar to anyone but diehard fans.

It can't just be called 'metal' because there are millions of bands that fall under that category. You've got to have some kind of organization in a genre otherwise nobody would ever find what kind of metal they are looking for.

Djent seems to be becoming more and more of a genre in it's own right these days, not strictly because of the music, but because of fans who want to see a certain style as being special. I think that the more Djent bands are out there, the more evident the differences will become though, so it may well become a legit genre in it's own right. Not calling it a genre now is too early days, Djent has only been recognized in the metal underground as a genre very, very recently.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Like I said, it's why I can never get shit done, music related.

I've thrown away so many songs I've written because of how stupid and generic they sound to my ears.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you were one of the creepy, obnoxious metal head kids in school, not the quiet, shoot-up-the-school type, but the annoying type that tells people who listen to hip-hop/pop/anything that isn't metal that they have bad taste in music, the type that everyone hates.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Gerard_xD
I <3 djent bands w/ screamo vocals like Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin.

This is progressive, djent screamo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnsgDTGIQN4

edit: ^ Screamo is a genre, silly. It's emo w/ screamed (not growled or guttural, literally yelled/screamed) vocals.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Saint78
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you were one of the creepy, obnoxious metal head kids in school, not the quiet, shoot-up-the-school type, but the annoying type that tells people who listen to hip-hop/pop/anything that isn't metal that they have bad taste in music, the type that everyone hates.

Such trivial shit TS, why you mad?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm gonna just leave this here...

Djent is NOT a genre.

yes it is
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Saint78
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.

I think you just proved me more right than I hoped you would. Thanks, I guess.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

This is my favorite part.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Enix165
All I know is, my opinion and everyone I know in person's on "djent" is the same as our opinion on modern "prog metal"(Periphery, BTBAM, Protest The Hero, Corelia, Scale The Summit etc. etc.). I don't like it and everyone else is completely obsessed. Sorta nice if they'd differentiate it from 80s prog metal like Savatage and Crimson Glory though. Little bit of a difference between Savatage and Periphery...JUUUUUUUUUUUUST a little.

Oh god you're just as bad.
Quote by Saint78

lol, this. Hip hop is great and so is pop. There's a lot of musicianship to be found in both genres but I guess if some metalhead moron doesn't want to find it he certainly will not. It's funny because a lot of metal bands have songs that are little more than power chord progressions and people like TS would still swoon over the exceptional musicianship.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

James Clerk Maxwell formed the basis of a lot of what I study and work on and I know next to nothing about him. However, it doesn't hinder my understanding or enjoyment. In short, it doesn't matter and nobody cares. I have about as much respect for you as I do for the average historian who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
Quote by Saint78

This is my favorite part.

Me too.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Click the link, ya dildo...

i did

still think djent is a genre. a sub-genre of metal of course, but still a genre.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Avedas
lol, this. Hip hop is great and so is pop. There's a lot of musicianship to be found in both genres but I guess if some metalhead moron doesn't want to find it he certainly will not. It's funny because a lot of metal bands have songs that are little more than power chord progressions and people like TS would still swoon over the exceptional musicianship.

I agree 100%
you're a stone fox
what a stupid name for a genre.. djent

Quote by Ian_the_fox

I hold the opinion that Killswitch Engage > Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest. Wanna fight about t?

OT: I've never heard anyone mention Djent in person, let alone label it something it 100% is not. That's a very hard thing to do, given that the label only fits on a very limited set of modern Metal music that doesn't go anywhere else.

Now some, like in this thread, would mention how it's part of "Progressive Metal", but this is silly since the general aesthetic of "prog metal" is more akin Dream Theater than it is to Meshuggah. I will admit, however, that I have qualms with the label "Progressive Metal" being a sub-genre in and of itself, but I digress.

Djent is a niche of Metal music that caters to people who love polyrhythyms, catchy riffs, and Meshuggah.
Quote by MinterMan22
what a stupid name for a genre.. djent

It sounds like a strange, Swedish cereal.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Come on, man. You are being kinda silly.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Saint78
I think you just proved me more right than I hoped you would. Thanks, I guess.
Aside from focusing on a completely different principle than what you described. You described the stereotypical "HAIL SATAN! DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" kid. I'm not that. Subjectively worse, but certainly not that.

In my opinion, if one don't know jack shit about what they are listening to or has no respect for the far, far superior genres of classic rock and blues, the genres that established it all, I'm just going to assume you're an immature little cunt who's only listening to heavy and aggressive music to set an image.

And you know them when you see them: always wearing all black, baggy black pants with chains, have greasy, un-maintained, unmanaged long hair they wear in their faces, eyeliner, and they all play B.C. Rich Warlocks and Line 6 Spiders and post gay ass Facebook statuses such as "Music is my life" and "Play till fingers bleed" when they can only play All That Remains and A7X songs at 1/4 tempo that they learned strictly from UG tabs.

I made a guy get all pissy off and storm out of the room the other day from expressing beliefs similar to this. I just sat there with a smirk on my face and thought to myself "don't worry, you'll mature eventually."

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Come on, man. You are being kinda silly.
You know me man, I'm a dick. I can't help it.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Aside from focusing on a completely different principle than what you described. You described the stereotypical "HAIL SATAN! DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" kid. I'm not that. Subjectively worse, but certainly not that.

No. That is not what I was describing. I was describing the metal head that throws his obnoxious opinions into others' faces.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I made a guy get all pissy off and storm out of the room the other day from expressing beliefs similar to this. I just sat there with a smirk on my face and thought to myself "don't worry, you'll mature eventually."

bro
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Ian_the_fox
In my opinion, if one don't know jack shit about what they are listening to or has no respect for the far, far superior genres of classic rock and blues, the genres that established it all, I'm just going to assume you're an immature little cunt who's only listening to heavy and aggressive music to set an image.

quick, who invented the guitar? no google allowed.

don't know? yeah, you're just trying to "set an image"
Quote by Saint78
No. That is not what I was describing. I was describing the metal head that throws his obnoxious opinions into others' faces.
But can that not apply to any genre fan? I've heard that Jazz elitists are 10x worse, except that they're right in their opinion, because jazz actually is musically superior. As a metal listener I'm not afraid to admit this.

Quote by Eastwinn
quick, who invented the guitar? no google allowed.

don't know? yeah, you're just trying to "set an image"
Fuck, I used to know this. I know it can be traced back to the Lute, but that's about it. And I know it evolved from there.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
But can that not apply to any genre fan? I've heard that Jazz elitists are 10x worse, except that they're right in their opinion, because jazz actually is musically superior. As a metal listener I'm not afraid to admit this.

They aren't worse because they are practically nonexistent in the real world.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Fuck, I used to know this. I know it can be traced back to the Lute, but that's about it. And I know it evolved from there.

how can you even claim to like rock music, including metal music, if you don't know the history of the instrument that drives it home? immature, if you ask me.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Oh hell no, not this "musically superior" shit again.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

And you know them when you see them: always wearing all black, baggy black pants with chains, have greasy, un-maintained, unmanaged long hair they wear in their faces, eyeliner, and they all play B.C. Rich Warlocks and Line 6 Spiders and post gay ass Facebook statuses such as "Music is my life" and "Play till fingers bleed" when they can only play All That Remains and A7X songs at 1/4 tempo that they learned strictly from UG tabs.

You know me man, I'm a dick. I can't help it.

Oh Lawdy, the irony

actually scratch that, TS has to be trolling at this point.
Last edited by Avedas at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Saint78
They aren't worse because they are practically nonexistent in the real world.
You don't get out much, do you?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You don't get out much, do you?

What? You made no sense there. Jazz elitists exist on internet forums. They don't walk around in suits and cool hats while smoking reefer and spouting off their opinions about jazz.
you're a stone fox

|-------------------1|------------------------------------------------|
|-8-6--4-2--1-1--1--1|---9-8-6-----------------------------------6---6|
|-5-5--5-3--1-3--3--1|---------5-----5-6-8-5-------------5---5-7---8--|
|-6-6--3-3--2-2--2--3|-----------6-8---------6-------5-7---8----------|
|------4----3-3--3--3|-------------------------7---8------------------|
|-------------------1v---------------------------8--------------------|

|---6----------------------------------------------8-12--15p13--------|
|-8---9-7-6------------------------9------8------9-------------13-----|
|-----------8-6----------------------9-------9h10-----------------13--|
|---------------6-8-9---11-8-9-10------10-----------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

|-0~---0--0---------------0-----------0------0--------0-----------0------|
|-10~--10-12-12-------------12\--7~-7-7-7--7-7-7------0-------------4----|
|-13~--13-13-13--------13--------8~-8-8-8--8-8-8--4-4-4-4-------2-----2--|
|-11~--11-11-11-----11-----------6~-6---6--6---6--2-2---2-4---4----------|
|-0~---0--0--9--999--------------4~-4---4--4---4--0-0---0-4-4------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------4--------------|

|--------------------5-----0-|-0~---12--------------------0-----------0---|
|-----5------4---------9-----|-10~-----10----12--------12--------7~-7-7-7-|
|-----4------4--6/7------6---|-13~-----------13-------------13\--8~-8-8-8-|
|-4h6-6--6-6-6---------------|-11~--------11-11-----11-----------6~-6---6-|
|-4---4--4-4-4---------------|-0~------------9--999--------------4~-4---4-|
|----------------------------|--------------------------------------------|

|---0--------0-----------0-------------------4-------4------|
|-7-7-7------0-------------4-------5------4----4h5-7---7p0--|
|-8-8-8--4-4-4-4-------2-----2-----4------4-----------------|
|-6---6--2-2---2-4---4---------4h6-6--6-6-6-----------------|
|-4---4--0-0---0-4-4-----------4---4--4-4-4-----------------|
|----------------4------------------------------------------|

Ok, which one's the Jazz and which one's the Djent?
Stupid ass musical superiority arguments.

Only Ian can answer. Or anybody that seriously doesn't know.
Ian, are you trolling?
Quote by TheSennaj