Disagree.
17 15%
Haven't noticed.
60 54%
I'm one of "those people" :o
15 13%
Voters: 112.
Page 4 of 5
DEP is mathcore though :P And sikth did exactly what I was talking about- they incorporated the djent style into their own, making something original. Every new djent band wants to be Periphery, it seems.

Vildhjarta only has one album out- there's some demo's floating around too, but they sound nothing like the dementia infused weirdness on the album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drALbzXjHK4
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by Våd Hamster
DEP is mathcore though :P And sikth did exactly what I was talking about- they incorporated the djent style into their own, making something original. Every new djent band wants to be Periphery, it seems.

Vildhjarta only has one album out- there's some demo's floating around too, but they sound nothing like the dementia infused weirdness on the album

Yeah, but I don't really know what "Djent" is - I just lump bands like DEP and SikTh together.

me some SikTh.

The Locust are another good one to check out.

Right, I'll hunt down this Vildhjarta then - wish me luck!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
You'll have a laugh about this thread in about 5-6 years when you've completely grown out of metal, started listening to jazz, and appreciated the occasional hip hop artist.

That's what I did. Except not a thread. Just my life...

However, btbam and periphery still get listened to a good bit
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by metacarpi
Yeah, but I don't really know what "Djent" is - I just lump bands like DEP and SikTh together.

me some SikTh.

The Locust are another good one to check out.

Right, I'll hunt down this Vildhjarta then - wish me luck!

Eh, well since everyone's taste is individual, so is genre recognition, really. Most people would lump 90% of metal into 'death metal' because they're not genre savvy. When you think about it, all music descends from something else, so in theory it's not entirely wrong.

Much like a painter would be able to differentiate more colours than most of us. A sapphire-quarts-compound-azure-blue* is still blue, 'knowamsayian
*notarealcolour

Divide and subgenre all you want, but in the end it's just theory and opinions. I have more than once witnessed heating of behinds when I mention djent as a genre on the internet, and really, if you want to call it progcore or whatever, that's fine, but as long as these bands fail to individualise from eachother, they belong in the same group if you ask me.

TL;DR I agree with you

Quote by ibanezguitars44
You'll have a laugh about this thread in about 5-6 years when you've completely grown out of metal, started listening to jazz, and appreciated the occasional hip hop artist.

Nobody likes jazz.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by ibanezguitars44

Know this. I DO listen to jazz. As well as Metal, and Blues. And classic rock. I listen to it all. I'm not the stereotypical metalhead who only listens to metal to look "cool" or "edgy." I'm actually open to other genres as long as they have significant musical effort put into them

Catch earlier where I saw George Benson live? Also saw Johnny Winter, Jimmie Vaughn, and Charlie Daniels live. Would your typical fag-metalhead go and see bands like that?

If you are one of those people who "grows out" of metal than you too were once one of those fags with the fedoras and A7X T-Shirts and only listened to aggressive music to set a darker self-image.

That, or you are now shunning everything else but complex genres to set a new, "classier" self image of superiority. Either way, you're still being a pretentious fag for helping music boost your image.

Quote by Metasponge
Ok mate, that seems reasonable.

Quote by Myself, earlier...
Oh crap I forgot to fix that in the edit. I thought to quick, what I was actually intending to make out was "Don't tell me what to focus my listening on." I actually do listen to plenty of jazz music (as well as having seen George Benson live) but it's not my focus genre. At all.

Quote by metacarpi
Suuuuure......
Fine, don't believe me. Even if it's true.

Hell, we've got home videos of it I'll post if I can find (I was singing SRV in it I think, "Pride and Joy" maybe?)
Quote by Ian_the_fox
If you are one of those people who "grows out" of metal than you too were once one of those fags with the fedoras and A7X T-Shirts and only listened to aggressive music to set a darker self-image.

That, or you are now shunning everything else but complex genres to set a new, "classier" self image of superiority. Either way, you're still being a pretentious fag for helping music boost your image.

Or, y'know, your tastes evolved and changed as you got older?

Vad:
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Or, y'know, your tastes evolved and changed as you got older?
That's not "growing out" of a genre. That's simply enjoying something else over time. About 3 years ago my favorite metal sub-genre was Finnish melo-deth. Now I prefer progressive-anything.

Is that "growing up"? No, it's just liking something different. When I hear one say"grow out of ___" I essentially hear them saying "___ is such inferior music made for younger minds. Jazz/Classical/Ambient/New Age is so superior".

Granted, Metal still is pretty immature music, as is any rock music. But whatever, I've enjoyed it since I was young and still enjoy it now. As well as other genres/sub-genres as long as they don't suck and have musical value to them.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Catch earlier where I saw George Benson live? Also saw Johnny Winter, Jimmie Vaughn, and Charlie Daniels live. Would your typical fag-metalhead go and see bands like that?

You're just making up names tbh.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by ErikLensherr
You're just making up names tbh.
You're right. In fact, I have no clue where the money I put towards those concert tickets went.

Maybe I bought some drugs and hallucinated it all, and none of it ever happened.
I'm still trying to figure out how again it has gone this far off topic like all these threads do. Next step is for it to turn into another damn furry discussion.
Quote by anvil is god
I hate furries and they should be burned at the stake. Better?

I don't know, I love a vindaloo.

EDIT: You fixed that quick.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by anvil is god
I hate curries and they should be burned at the stake. Better?

curries are delicious you slut
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I come back to this thread and see curry bashing? Why is there so much curry bashing here? On cooking websites curry gets great respect why can't it be the same here?

I call currsecution!
Quote by Godsmack_IV
All this time I thought djent was Swedish or something for gentleman.

I have been aware of the term for a while, but never actually heard anyone in real life use the word in a sentence. Maybe i don't really hang out with many people who listen to djent, or anything that can be called that.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Taste in music never changes as a result of growing up/personality changes. Every one knows this. If you used to like Metal you're a cunt.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Granted, Metal still is pretty immature music, as is any rock music.

I've heard a lot of Metal that is more mature (in terms of musical development and ccomposition) than some Jazz/Ambient/New Age/Adult Contemporary. You're killing me, Ian -- this time by making me groan.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Know this. I DO listen to jazz. As well as Metal, and Blues. And classic rock. I listen to it all. I'm not the stereotypical metalhead who only listens to metal to look "cool" or "edgy." I'm actually open to other genres as long as they have significant musical effort put into them

Pro-tip before I go into this post: Don't acknowledge people who will tell you that you'll "grow out" of an entire genre of music. The only time those people know what they're talking about is if you're listening to some angsty teenager radio music, but even then those same people probably still like the classic rock bands who are no better than today's shitty rock bands.

Now, as for those "Jazz" artists you mentioned. George Benson is a Blues/Jazz hybrid while the others are simply contemporary Blues guitarists. This is actually pretty stereotypical of a Metal fan like yourself, where they go into different types of music that are considered "superior" by older people and come out of it with stuff that is painfully similar to what they were already listening to. I suggest Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Cannonbal Adderley, Lenny Breau(more country-esque, but still), and of course, Miles Davis as some great Jazz music to listen to.

You also mentioned in another post how you were into "finnish-melodeath", I assume you were talking about Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Wintersun, and the ilk. I wish to ask; what "progressive" bands do you listen to now that are different from those bands?
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
An idiot guy I showed Gojira to referred to it as "Djent," another referred to Outworld as "Djent", and most recently one calling A7X "Djent". I mean, come on.

really...?

really?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Well, the difference being that Axel's a loon who rapes his plushies, and I'm just a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder

Fixed. Also, I'd rather be a plushie-fucking autist than an NPD case like yourself.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Now, as for those "Jazz" artists you mentioned. George Benson is a Blues/Jazz hybrid while the others are simply contemporary Blues guitarists. This is actually pretty stereotypical of a Metal fan like yourself, where they go into different types of music that are considered "superior" by older people and come out of it with stuff that is painfully similar to what they were already listening to. I suggest Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Cannonbal Adderley, Lenny Breau(more country-esque, but still), and of course, Miles Davis as some great Jazz music to listen to.
I know the other guys aren't Jazz guys, I was giving an example. But bolded I have to disagree with. Sure, Benson hits a few bluesy spots but he really does take a different approach. Not really a blues guy at all. And I can't really see how his music is anywhere similar to any modern metal for that matter (minus a few tech-death bands who just end up going too much towards the "technical" aspect and fall behind with sounding musical).

I've tried listening to Django Reinhardt, but couldn't really get into his stuff. I'll agree he puts any modern player that 14yo metal kids idolize to shame but he's not my thing. Allan Holdsworth I like a bit of, as well as Allen Hinds (not seriously Jazz, but still).

Quote by Morphogenesis26
You also mentioned in another post how you were into "finnish-melodeath", I assume you were talking about Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Wintersun, and the ilk. I wish to ask; what "progressive" bands do you listen to now that are different from those bands?
Well, still I listen to Wintersun, and that's one of the only bands of that movement I still listen to (Jari's writing has something magical to it).

Over time I grew tired of all those other guys (Bodom, Kalmah, etc.) simply because the variation is nearly non-existant and the guitar gets REALLY repetitive. It's almost like they have a set list of arpeggio riffs they glue together when it comes time for a solo.

Which is why I prefer Wintersun over the rest, because Jari doesn't just spam random sweeps into his solos, but instead makes them fit in with what else is going on in the song like they're actually part of the song and not just senseless technique (take the "Beautiful Death" solo for example).

As far as Progressive goes: Dream Theater for a while, Opeth, Death's later albums, Gojira, Rush's lesser known tracks, Tessaract (who somewhat treads Djent but still manages to sound technical and musical), some Jethro Tull, and a bit of Porcupine Tree.

How you can compare any of those bands to Finnish Melodeth is beyond me.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I've heard a lot of Metal that is more mature (in terms of musical development and ccomposition) than some Jazz/Ambient/New Age/Adult Contemporary. You're killing me, Ian -- this time by making me groan.

It's hard to deny, there is a pretty large subset of bands that deal mostly in lyrics based on fantasy or over the top satanic imagery and fairly simple riff and song structures. I don't see the 'adolescent' side of metal of being a negative, in fact it's a pretty large part of the appeal. It's hard to find that same sense of youthful naivety, vigour and comically over the top imagery in 'serious' music (I mean, King Diamond belting the word Satan after having ingested a lungful of helium isn't exactly the most philosophical or worldy musical moment in history but that doesn't mean it isn't fantastic). Besides, worrying too much about appearing immature is a fairly common attribute of immature people.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
I assume you were talking about Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Wintersun, and the ilk.

Please, obviously from looking at the fox avatar you can tell he was talking about Demigod.
What's Djent?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I know the other guys aren't Jazz guys, I was giving an example. But bolded I have to disagree with. Sure, Benson hits a few bluesy spots but he really does take a different approach. Not really a blues guy at all. And I can't really see how his music is anywhere similar to any modern metal for that matter (minus a few tech-death bands who just end up going too much towards the "technical" aspect and fall behind with sounding musical).

I've tried listening to Django Reinhardt, but couldn't really get into his stuff. I'll agree he puts any modern player that 14yo metal kids idolize to shame but he's not my thing. Allan Holdsworth I like a bit of, as well as Allen Hinds (not seriously Jazz, but still).

Well, still I listen to Wintersun, and that's one of the only bands of that movement I still listen to (Jari's writing has something magical to it).

Over time I grew tired of all those other guys (Bodom, Kalmah, etc.) simply because the variation is nearly non-existant and the guitar gets REALLY repetitive. It's almost like they have a set list of arpeggio riffs they glue together when it comes time for a solo.

Which is why I prefer Wintersun over the rest, because Jari doesn't just spam random sweeps into his solos, but instead makes them fit in with what else is going on in the song like they're actually part of the song and not just senseless technique (take the "Beautiful Death" solo for example).

As far as Progressive goes: Dream Theater for a while, Opeth, Death's later albums, Gojira, Rush's lesser known tracks, Tessaract (who somewhat treads Djent but still manages to sound technical and musical), some Jethro Tull, and a bit of Porcupine Tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYEm_MDe190

listen to some oscar peterson if you wanna get into jazz, man is a bro
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

The reason I pointed out Benson's more blues-geared attitude toward Jazz is because the other guys you mentioned were Blues-based instead of Jazz-based. I also was comparing them to older, classic Metal bands that you came off as enjoying(you mentioned Cream, so meh). Those bands have that Blues influence, so it made sense that you'd gravitate to them a lot. If I'm wrong, oh well.

I wasn't comparing those specific bands because I didn't even know you liked them yet.

It's actually not that odd for guys who like the watered down Speed Metal bands from Finland to get more into bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, and Death, and while you did mention other bands that sound nothing like them, it came off as if you cared very little about them. This really doesn't matter, but it's simply an observation I've made.

Quote by Nietsche
Please, obviously from looking at the fox avatar you can tell he was talking about Demigod.

I had hopes.
Quote by Nietsche
It's hard to deny, there is a pretty large subset of bands that deal mostly in lyrics based on fantasy or over the top satanic imagery and fairly simple riff and song structures. I don't see the 'adolescent' side of metal of being a negative, in fact it's a pretty large part of the appeal. It's hard to find that same sense of youthful naivety, vigour and comically over the top imagery in 'serious' music (I mean, King Diamond belting the word Satan after having ingested a lungful of helium isn't exactly the most philosophical or worldy musical moment in history but that doesn't mean it isn't fantastic). Besides, worrying too much about appearing immature is a fairly common attribute of immature people.

1) Lyrics based on fantasy, if done right are not really immature. For instance, Wintersun did an excellent job of that on "Time I". I'd consider that more mature than say...lyrics about how "love is forever" (with this basically idealistic view of love and that it all happens magically).
2) I despise simple riffs and simple song structures, which is why I don't really listen to a lot of commercial music. I also don't listen to Metal that's simplistic. Although, I'm probably hardly the typical Metal fan; most fans don't care how complex something is/isn't.

The bolded part is very true though. If you can't laugh at yourself or make a fool out of yourself, your life will be VERY sad and most people will find you immature.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 6, 2012,
Djent to Metal is like Dubstep to electronic music. Just a fad that will die out.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Lyrics based on fantasy, if done right are not really immature.

That's true enough but I was thinking more of bands whose lyrics are based on pulp fantasy (think 'Hawk the Slayer' by Griffin or 'Queen of the Black Coast' by Manilla Road) than bands that use more 'serious' mythological imagery (the band whose second album cover is also my avatar are kind of the standard bearers for that, certainly a much more appropriate example than Wintersun...).

I also don't listen to Metal that's simplistic.

And you have Metallica and Pantera on your favourite bands list
Last edited by Nietsche at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by Nietsche
That's true enough but I was thinking more of bands whose lyrics are based on pulp fantasy (think 'Hawk the Slayer' by Griffin or 'Queen of the Black Coast' by Manilla Road) than bands that use more 'serious' mythological imagery (the band whose second album cover is also my avatar are kind of the standard bearers for that, certainly a much more appropriate example than Wintersun...).

Ok, fair enough. I was merely pointing out that not all fantasy lyrical content is bad.

Ok, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or isn't a large part of the subculture and music.

I never said it did. I just stated that I don't like it. Just because I don't like or listen to something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'm not sure how one could say that. As the old saying goes, "The world doesn't revolve around you!" (not you as in "you Nietsche", but you as "people").

Point is, there's immature Metal and then there's mature Metal. You can't really have one without the other.

Edit:
Quote by Nietsche
And you have Metallica and Pantera on your favourite bands list

And? Once in awhile, I mix it up. What's your point? Besides, despite the simplicity of those bands, they do have some good music. I really should set my profile to private, so assholes won't analyze it all the time.

Edit2:
Done! Quit stalking me, Nietsche! You damn ghost!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, fair enough. I was merely pointing out that not all fantasy lyrical content is bad.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it had a sense of youth and naivety. Those songs are actually fairly effective at conveying what they intend to convey. That's the point. Complaining about the lack of world-weariness in a song titled after an eighties Sword and Sorcery movie is like complaining that Jazz uses too many swing rhythms.
Quote by Nietsche
I didn't say it was bad, I said it had a sense of youth and naivety. Those songs are actually fairly effective at conveying what they intend to convey. That's the point. Complaining about the lack of world-weariness in a song titled after an eighties Sword and Sorcery movie is like complaining that Jazz uses too many swing rhythms.

Ok. Cool. We're on the same page then.

Dat bolded part.