Poll: Is Hydra150 the most annoying poster in the Anime Thread?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is Hydra150 the most annoying poster in the Anime Thread?
No, there are Anime Thread posters who are more annoying than Hydra150.
30 56%
Yes, Hydra150 is the most annoying user who has posted in the Anime Thread.
24 44%
Voters: 54.
Page 3 of 4
Quote by Xiaoxi
Maybe you should just watch the video lol.

Anyways, it's a largely US problem. Boston and NYC (Manhattan anyway) got it right. That is to say they're on par with developed places in other countries. That's kind of sad.

Fine!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by slipknot5678
If I want safe and quiet I'll live in a rural town (I don't mean a random house in the middle of no where just so we're clear). Suburbs are detrimental to society and capture the true essence of neither urban or rural environments. Really they're just sad and lonely (although they are safe).

Ha, not at all pal.

The suburbs aren't attempting to capture the "true" essence of urban or rural environments. That isn't a fault against them. They capture all of the positives of urban life (nightlife, entertainment options, shopping, etc etc etc) while removing all of the negative aspects over residing in the city 24/7. I can get smack dab in the middle of Toronto in 45 minutes from my parents house taking the train. However my parents house is in the second or third safest city in all of Canada, is incredibly clean, streets clearly laid out and easy to navigate, much prettier and homelier, and retains many of the aspects that make rural towns attractive. The schools are far, far better and more convenient and I can be sitting in a forest looking at a glistening lake in a 20 minute drive from my parents house.

The commute isn't even a pain because more and more companies have large offices outside of Toronto itself in areas such as Mississauga making the commute much, much easier on people. My mom has that circumstance.

But okay.
I wouldn't mind living in HK just for the food omg but I don't think I'd get a job there, life there seems even more competitive than it is here (which is saying something), and I don't like the sound of canto and it seems shitty to live somewhere because you like it but not bother to learn the language. I would love to visit soon though. it looks really pretty (both the city and nature areas)

as for suburbs, can't say much since I've never lived in one, only visited family who live in them, but I feel very uncomfortable if I'm not in a city where stuff is happening all the time or an extremely secluded quiet part of nature. I guess suburbs aren't exactly boring but I'm probably just used to constant activity or something. I don't want to travel for more than 20 minutes to get somewhere to do stuff and if I do, it has to be a really special thing. There is no excuse for me to be bored here and I like that. As for safety, why can't we just make the cities safer rather than relying on suburbs :/
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Dec 5, 2012,
Yea, I turned it off

That's guy head was so far up his own asshole I'm surprised he could breathe
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Ha, not at all pal.

The suburbs aren't attempting to capture the "true" essence of urban or rural environments. That isn't a fault against them. They capture all of the positives of urban life (nightlife, entertainment options, shopping, etc etc etc) while removing all of the negative aspects over residing in the city 24/7. I can get smack dab in the middle of Toronto in 45 minutes from my parents house taking the train. However my parents house is in the second or third safest city in all of Canada, is incredibly clean, streets clearly laid out and easy to navigate, much prettier and homelier, and retains many of the aspects that make rural towns attractive. The schools are far, far better and more convenient and I can be sitting in a forest looking at a glistening lake in a 20 minute drive from my parents house.

The commute isn't even a pain because more and more companies have large offices outside of Toronto itself in areas such as Mississauga making the commute much, much easier on people. My mom has that circumstance.

But okay.
Yea.

Sounds about the same as where I live though maybe a tad richer.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
They capture all of the positives of urban life (nightlife, entertainment options, shopping, etc etc etc)

Almost every suburban "plaza" center I've encountered feels extremely artificial. They don't have the real tenacity or value of the urban equivalent. Not to mention they are almost always comprised solely of mediocre chains.

Where I live now meets and probably exceeds all of the pros you just listed. It's still suffocatingly spare and artificial.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Hydra150
I guess because they don't encourage a sense of community, people often don't mingle with their neighbours.

There's plenty of community. I exchanged baked goods with my neighbours when they moved in/throughout the Holiday season, look after each others plants/newspapers/animals when they are away on vacation, say hi and chat when you walk past them, let them know if their hose is leaking or something, etc etc. Even shovel the driveway/rake leaves for the older folk who have trouble for whatever reason rather than having them pay for someone to do it.

The suburbs aren't the cause of people being unkind. Your culture is.

^ you have the benefits of the city because the city is connected to the suburb. I can take the train and be in the smac kdab of downtown Toronto in 40-45 minutes making all station stops. idiot.
I'd go to Costa Rica because it's the most badass of all the countries. And they abolished their military in like 1948 or something like that! Talk about badass.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Thrashtastic15

^ you have the benefits of the city because the city is connected to the suburb. I can take the train and be in the smac kdab of downtown Toronto in 40-45 minutes making all station stops. idiot.

Exactly

If I lived in the city it would take me just as long to walk anywhere anyway.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Being near and being immersed in are two completely different experiences. I've lived in both in substantial time to know that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
btw i live in the city now and have lived in the city lol so dont even try that pal being immersed has negatives associated with being in the city its not a ****ing positive
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Dec 5, 2012,
I don't live in the city but I'm there for about 8-10 (or more) hours everyday for school.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Xiaoxi

More than that, there is no culture or activity. Think of the worst of American suburbia in the midwest. What's the image? Obese Christian conservatives without any sense of culture or intellect. Place has a big role in harboring all of these issues.

Indeed.

quoting just because you edited it in and some may have missed and i found it interesting
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
There is no train where I live. Where I used to live there was a bus and the train station was an hour walk away. Not coincidentally, that suburb was better than the one I live in now, despite not being near as rich or clean. My main point is that better urban planning makes for a better environment. If we focused our energy into improving the cities to be cleaner and more sustainable while representing our culture it would be better than just building more spread out shit wherever we feel like.

Also, the 'city centre' of the average suburb looks like this:
(but with a restaurant or two)

Or at best this:

Edit: And of course the city isn't all positives.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I can get smack dab in the middle of Toronto in 45 minutes from my parents house taking the train. However my parents house is in the second or third most boring city in all of Canada.

Made that paragraph a bit more concise for ya, bro. You're welcome.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
btw i live in the city now and have lived in the city lol so dont even try that pal being immersed has negatives associated with being in the city its not a ****ing positive

Clealiness depends on the city. It's not automatically dirty. Places like HK, Singapore, most Aus cities, Boston, and smaller cities are pretty clean.

Good urban planning also create centers for nature, if you're into that.

Not relying on a car does wonders for health and well being. The city population generally has a much lower obesity rate and higher levels of education.

Despite what you say about easily getting to Toronto in 45 minutes (that's actually kind of shit by my standards), this is often not the case in many suburbs. Residents of many suburbs have a vested interest in not developing easy to access public transportation for fear that minorities will come in and cheapen their real estate value. True story.

Crime rate also depends on the city. But for many years now, the center of illegal drug manufacturing has been in American suburbs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 5, 2012,
Burlington's "downtown" is a just a slightly more "old timey" attempted area w/ a theatre, a bunch of stores, and a few random little art places, museums, and ofc city hall, and a sweet park thats awesome to chill at and gets some pretty solid free events every year.

Too big to

Can't really get any good pictures of the rest because it's much more cramped streets than anywhere else and it's pretty well concealed by all of the trees. But it's certainly not a bloody Wal Mart. Maybe you shouldn't paint your shitty, cheap, poor suburbs in with respectable ones.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
*post*
Yea, we have places like that. Though without the water and everything.

And we also have shopping center with Targets and Walmarts

I don't see how that's much different than the city.

Philly has one or two strips of nice old shopping center and everything and then everything else is just Targets and Walmarts except in the city and shittier and seedier. But that could just be because it's Philly.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Burlington's "downtown" is a just a slightly more "old timey" attempted area w/ a theatre, a bunch of stores, and a few random little art places, museums, and ofc city hall, and a sweet park thats awesome to chill at and gets some pretty solid free events every year.

Too big to

Can't really get any good pictures of the rest because it's much more cramped streets than anywhere else and it's pretty well concealed by all of the trees. But it's certainly not a bloody Wal Mart. Maybe you shouldn't paint your shitty, cheap, poor suburbs in with respectable ones.

Based on a quick search on Burlington, it seems like one of the better ones and to me is almost structured more like a small city than a standard suburb. I won't pretend I know more than you though.

With that said, in my experience the shitty, cheap, poor suburbs outnumber the respectable ones. Especially if you've ever been to the central United States.
Thing is, your lovely fossil fuels that you shovel into those auto mobiles are only going to get more expensive, so living 30 minutes away from the shop and 50 away from work is going to become a more and more expensive prospect.
Quote by slipknot5678

With that said, in my experience the shitty, cheap, poor suburbs outnumber the respectable ones. Especially if you've ever been to the central United States.

VASTLY outnumber*

And there is a penchant for that. So advocating for suburbia with idealism is useless, because inevitably there will be 10 shitty suburbs for every suburb done right.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana

Too big to

The thing about Burlington and Mississauga is that it reminds me of a better and cleaner Scarborough. Everything is spaced too far out from each other and the architecture is shit. Well, based off the linked image. Downtown Toronto has a lot more within a shorter distance so that makes me want to see and explore more. The architecture also sucks and I wish there was a nice park by the waterfront, but I find there to be a lot more to look at.
I don't go out to the west end often.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Clealiness depends on the city. It's not automatically dirty. Places like HK, Singapore, most Aus cities, Boston, and smaller cities are pretty clean.

Good urban planning also create centers for nature, if you're into that.

Not relying on a car does wonders for health and well being. The city population generally has a much lower obesity rate and higher levels of education.

Despite what you say about easily getting to Toronto in 45 minutes (that's actually kind of shit by my standards), this is often not the case in many suburbs. Residents of many suburbs have a vested interest in not developing easy to access public transportation for fear that minorities will come in and cheapen their real estate value. True story.

45 minutes isn't the best. We're the very last "suburb" in the GTA area before it turns into Hamilton, our public transit isn't amazing, but the fact is 45 minutes to be immersed in the city allows you to retain virtually all of the positive aspects of city life without the negative aspects (which are numerous). Toronto is very clean, it's all relative. And I enjoy riding on the train so I don't care.

It doesn't compare at all pal. "centres for nature" does not compare to, you know, being legitimately close to proper nature. Like legitimate conservation areas and places to hike, lounge, and enjoy. Our suburbs have incredibly excellent parks and part of the positive relative to the city is not having the same population density and noise you get even in those areas. I miss the parks in Burlington (but its winter so not a big deal).

Only the well educated can afford to live in the wealthy suburbs. So balls to that. There's plenty of more legitimate forms of exercise readily available for both children and adults in the suburbs too. Not relying on a car means you'll be taking the subway or train. You're still not walking very much. If that's your entire basis of exercise than you aren't getting very much of that are you buddy?

Cities are loud, cramped, full of people, the air is smoggy and shit, not nearly as safe, etc etc etc. You can enjoy the best of a big city whilst removing all negative aspects of the city and replacing it with the best aspects of rural life. Only an idiot would do otherwise to be frank. Especially if you're planning on having kids in the future. Living in the city is a lot easier to reconcile at our age, but overall I'd prefer both my childhood and my adult life (30+) to be spent in the suburbs. For plenty of valid reasons. You can choose otherwise, just don't spew shit.
I think you guys value cleanliness and safety too highly
How many kids are y'all raising?
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, we have places like that. Though without the water and everything.

And we also have shopping center with Targets and Walmarts

I don't see how that's much different than the city.

Philly has one or two strips of nice old shopping center and everything and then everything else is just Targets and Walmarts except in the city and shittier and seedier. But that could just be because it's Philly.

Yeah Burlington has two Walmarts and Targets are coming in to replace Zellers (one of the first ones will be in Burlington I think). Lots of shopping centres and plazas and the like.

@Extra. I was referring more to Burlington and Oakville rather than Mississauga. But yeah, it's nice. It's certainly not the same as Toronto, but it's appealing for different reasons. Toronto is certainly more exciting to be a part of, but you're connected to Toronto through public transit so it isn't really a big deal at all.

^ well gonna raise kids one day. I live in the city right now so I'm a bit of a bastard.
Ok, I'm just gonna say it.

I don't really care about a sense of Community at all.

You know why I like the suburbs? Because I cans till do everything that can be done in the city but I don't have to live there.

I can go into the city and go to a museum, or a game, or a restaurant, or whatever, but then I get to go home.

I can be home and I don't have to worry about having neighbors whose house's are connected to my house. Most houses are bigger than the average apartment or whatever. I can listen to music as loud as I want without disturbing neighbors. Nobody is seeing what I'm doing constantly. I have way more privacy. I have a big yard. A driveway to play basketball in, and a pool to swim in. I can go to a park and it won't be mobbed with people. (Yes, I know it's my parents house hydra )

Not to mention they're real parks with wildlife and lakes and trails. Go a little farther and I can go hiking and other shit.

And it's way safer. I don't know about you but I'm not walking around Philly at night unless I'm directly in the center of the city.

I don't know, I think this really has to do with a difference in suburb structure. Me and thrash seem to live in older suburbs and not those ones that they build in the middle of nowhere over night. So ours are more connected with the city and not as cut off from everything else.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Ok, I'm just gonna say it.

I don't really care about a sense of Community at all.

You know why I like the suburbs? Because I cans till do everything that can be done in the city but I don't have to live there.

I can go into the city and go to a museum, or a game, or a restaurant, or whatever, but then I get to go home.

I can be home and I don't have to worry about having neighbors whose house's are connected to my house. Most houses are bigger than the average apartment or whatever. I can listen to music as loud as I want without disturbing neighbors. Nobody is seeing what I'm doing constantly. I have way more privacy. I have a big yard. A driveway to play basketball in, and a pool to swim in. I can go to a park and it won't be mobbed with people. (Yes, I know it's my parents house hydra )

Not to mention they're real parks with wildlife and lakes and trails. Go a little farther and I can go hiking and other shit.

And it's way safer. I don't know about you but I'm not walking around Philly at night unless I'm directly in the center of the city.

I don't know, I think this really has to do with a difference in suburb structure. Me and thrash seem to live in older suburbs and not those ones that they build in the middle of nowhere over night. So ours are more connected with the city and not as cut off from everything else.

All of this plus a sense of community. But, Canadian. And both of our neighbours were reverends at one point. but still.
If cities were built properly they would be cleaner and closer to nature. If I'm correct, Houston and Berlin have around the same population, but one is cleaner and takes up less space.

Also, most American suburbs (and cities as well) have no public transportation, and aside from the occasional playground or privately owned golf course there are not these green spacious parks that have been described, nor the museums or any of that of Burlington. And nobody has explained to me how suburbs don't cause urban sprawl and more environmental issues.

I'm sure I'm coming off as a dick, which I apologise for, and I am willing to acknowledge the validity of your points but I don't see how I'm just spewing shit. :/ My main point from the beginning hasn't been 'cities are the only way lol', (I've said from the beginning that North American cities aren't planned well either with some exceptions) I'm just saying there is a major urban planning problem that needs to be less focussed on building more suburbs and instead re-thinking the way we build our cities.

Edit: I guess a lot of this debate is coming from our fundamental differences. I value a sense of community and I don't like living in big houses.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15

It doesn't compare at all pal. "centres for nature" does not compare to, you know, being legitimately close to proper nature.
Sure, but most suburbs do not have "proper nature" either. In fact, most suburbs are desolate, flat sprawls of concrete. You can flip the whole suburb to city thing with city making a trip to the countryside, which makes a lot more sense.

Only the well educated can afford to live in the wealthy suburbs. So balls to that.
Oh, good to know that's a very viable option for many people then.

There's plenty of more legitimate forms of exercise readily available for both children and adults in the suburbs too. Not relying on a car means you'll be taking the subway or train. You're still not walking very much. If that's your entire basis of exercise than you aren't getting very much of that are you buddy?
Getting around in the city requires substantially more physical activity than walking 3 steps to your car. Of course there are readily available gyms anywhere, but that doesn't really change the statistics on this does it?

Cities are loud, cramped, full of people, the air is smoggy and shit, not nearly as safe, etc etc etc.
Way to take the worst potentials of a city to pair with your best case scenario for suburbia. The problem is that both of these scenarios are much less common in reality.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The point is people don't want to live and raise families in the city. They want to live in suburbs. Because they view their quality of life as being higher. It appeals to their needs and wants in ways both cities and rural areas can't. Don't like it? Leave. This is Americuh!!!!

I'm sorry, but what major city is not cramped, loud and full of people relative to a suburb to a degree that makes it unpleasant? bullshit. and the air does get smoggier and shittier. Even in cities like Toronto that are fairly respectable cities and do many things well for their size.
Quote by slipknot5678

Edit: I guess a lot of this debate is coming from our fundamental differences. I value a sense of community and I don't like living in big houses.

Basically. It's all cool though.

Quote by slipknot5678

I'm sure I'm coming off as a dick, which I apologise for

No need to apologize. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you're being a dick.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Xiaoxi
Sure, but most suburbs do not have "proper nature" either. In fact, most suburbs are desolate, flat sprawls of concrete. You can flip the whole suburb to city thing with city making a trip to the countryside, which makes a lot more sense.

Oh, good to know that's a very viable option for many people then.

Getting around in the city requires substantially more physical activity than walking 3 steps to your car. Of course there are readily available gyms anywhere, but that doesn't really change the statistics on this does it?

Way to take the worst potentials of a city to pair with your best case scenario for suburbia. The problem is that both of these scenarios are much less common in reality.

i thought we were carless. where are you keeping this car in the city to drive out to nature? or do we have trains that take us to conservation areas and the country every hour? and it takes much longer to go back and forth between the two in the city. people leave for cottage country all the time. takes hours and hours both ways in traffic driving there. and its further than if you were in the suburbs. so, lol.

suburbs have more organized sports. lot easier to join a beer league for hockey in the suburbs than in downtown toronto and a lot easier to go to and fro and actually attend. same with other adult recreational sports. and for kids.
Some people are saying that living in a suburb doesnt take away the perks of living in a city. I view being able to get where I want to be in ten minutes rather than sixty minutes to be a perk.
Last edited by Hydra150 at Dec 5, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
The point is people don't want to live and raise families in the city. They want to live in suburbs.

A considerable portion of the world population proves otherwise.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i thought we were carless. where are you keeping this car in the city to drive out to nature?
Because there's no parking garage or anything in condos and apartments. People in cities own cars too, but it's much less of a necessity. You could also use ZipCar.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
40-45 (which is a long number according to ppl supporting your side) is the max time. not 45. thats just one trip and then y ou are in the city for an extended stretch of time, overloading on city joys. **** dat yo try again
Quote by Xiaoxi
A considerable portion of the world population proves otherwise.

considerable portion of the population creating the demand for more suburbs and filling the suburbs justifies my statement which is saying that there is demand for the suburbs to fill a certain desire from the public, and hence they exist.
Considerable portion of the population also doesn't care about or believe in man made global warming and fervently push the market into keeping this status quo, but that ain't gonna stop more volatile weather from happening.

Quote by WCPhils
Growing up in the city seems sad ;_;

Depends on the city. But I've been to many cities that are much more beneficial to live in than suburbs. Although Philly is not one of those cities.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by WCPhils
Growing up in the city seems exciting

yeah.