Page 3 of 5
Quote by Jehannum
I wouldn't phrase it exactly that way but I generally agree. I'd add The League of Gentlemen and Little Britain, Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse stuff, The Fast Show, and Absolutely to the list.

Something about American comedy turns me off. The look of it, from Cheers onwards. I've never watched any of them.

Can't believe I forgot about all of those.

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Just watched my first episode of Seinfeld.

Shit ain't funny brah.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite

Shit ain't funny brah.

No sitcom is funny after the first episode.
You need to get to know the comedy and the characters.
Even shit sitcoms are funny if you watch enough.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
This thread lacks any mention of Father Ted or Peep Show. Dear me.

America has made some decent comedies. Frasier is one of the funniest things of all time. However, in comparison, we English are just much better. As well as the aforementioned, we gave you Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, The Office, Red Dwarf, Gavin & Stacey, Black Books, The Thick Of It, Blackadder... That's just a start.
Quote by Hydra150
No sitcom is funny after the first episode.
You need to get to know the comedy and the characters.
Even shit sitcoms are funny if you watch enough.

Truth

All my favorites, The Office, Parks and Rec, Arrested Development, ect got way better as you get to know the characters.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Another favourite: Trailer Park Boys - about the only good thing to come out of Canada
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Vauxite

Shit ain't funny brah.

That's the thing man. The more you watch, the funnier it gets.

Next thing you know, you're discussing the deal about peanuts.
Indeed we don't, be we have Peep Show, so all other comedies are invalid.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I've never really watched it, mostly because it isn't shown much here, if at all. If i have the time and can find a decent stream i might give it a go one day. Curb Your Enthusiasm is great though.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
most of the time i'd rather watch Curb over Seinfeld.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
^On which channel?
I didn't like Seinfeld after the first few episodes either. It gets funnier with time.

And it's no coincidence that people who don't like Seinfeld ITT are British or like Anime.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Hydra150
^On which channel?

Who knows, or cares. Just watch whatever you like and don't give a f*ck where it's from!
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by TunerAddict
Anyone who has ever seen Seinfeld knows these things.

I like stating the obvious. But i know a few people who love Seinfeld but didn't ever know about curb, or Larry. They thought Jerry wrote all the shows.
Quote by Tempoe
I like stating the obvious. But i know a few people who love Seinfeld but didn't ever know about curb, or Larry. They thought Jerry wrote all the shows.

lol as if Jerry could do that.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by magnus_maximus
Oh shit, and the IT Crowd, which is no doubt only months away from a US remake.

We already have The IT Crowd, only it's called The Big Bang Theory.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
Well, you just made a fool of yourself.

are you having a laugh? is he having a laugh?
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Dec 6, 2012,
Quote by Trowzaa
lol gawker.

Also, everyone I know has seen Seinfeld.

They list Torchwood as a comedy.
oh god, that article lists Two and a Half Men and the Hangover Pt. 2 as our best comedy?

Quote by jakesmellspoo
oh god, that article lists Two and a Half Men and the Hangover Pt. 2 as our best comedy?

It's rather retarded on all fronts, seems rather fratish.
I didn't grow up watching Seinfeld, but I do acknowledge the life lessons it taught.

It didn't teach many. Not nearly as much as most British 'sitcoms'.
The thing is, American comedy is built on catchphrases and heroic idolism, with the occasional failing character, like Screech. British comedy is much more down to earth, even if silly.

As usual, Stephen Fry has what I consider one of the finest explanations for anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k2AbqTBxao
Loved that Steven Fry clip.
Quote by magnus_maximus
Oh shit, and the IT Crowd, which is no doubt only months away from a US remake.

They did, it actually starred Richard Ayoade as well. Needless to say it didn't get picked up, mainly because they just copied the English pilot, practically word for word and shot for shot.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by loose bowels
They did, it actually starred Richard Ayoade as well. Needless to say it didn't get picked up, mainly because they just copied the English pilot, practically word for word and shot for shot.

But that's exactly what the US Inbetweeners have done.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
But that's exactly what the US Inbetweeners have done.

Yeah, but I don't think that was quite as terrible as their IT crowd abomination.
Quote by primusfan
next you'll tell me the UK hasn't seen curb, arrested development or the league. no wonder they don't realize we're way funnier than they are.

Arrested Development and The League are amazing. They're easily two of my favourite shows.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'd also like to add that the UK doesn't have any good comedies on tv at the moment.

UK comedy isn't as willing to push the envelope as much as the US. Community would never get made in the UK, in my opinion.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Todd Hart
Pretty accurate. British comics are humble and hopeless, American ones are arrogant and smothered in approbation.

Except that's complete bullshit and a lot of the best "American ones" fit more into the former than the latter. Look at George Costanza, for example. Perfect example of a guy that life just shits all over. But over time, we see him become more accepting of this and use his own acceptance of that to his advantage. Dabbling in a bit of both of those dynamics shows creativity and diversity, rather than sticking to one type of comedy, and that's what the good ones often do well, regardless of whether it's British or American.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by I.O.T.M
I'd also like to add that the UK doesn't have any good comedies on tv at the moment.

UK comedy isn't as willing to push the envelope as much as the US. Community would never get made in the UK, in my opinion.

That's because there's not as much money in UK television. That's why a lot of UK sitcoms only last two seasons, as opposed to the gajillion seasons of American sitcoms that try to milk it for as long as they can.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
That's because there's not as much money in UK television. That's why a lot of UK sitcoms only last two seasons, as opposed to the gajillion seasons of American sitcoms.

I will admit this is a big advantage. A lot of American sitcoms go on way too long and don't know how to die on a good note rather than keep going until it's gone stale. But sometimes I find when I finish a British sitcom, that I feel like they could have got a bit more out of it and maybe gave it another season (Black Books being a good example imo). There's a lot of "three seasons and it's done". Same with The Thick of It, though I think they're actually doing another season if I recall correctly.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
I will admit this is a big advantage. A lot of American sitcoms go on way too long and don't know how to die on a good note rather than keep going until it's gone stale. But sometimes I find when I finish a British sitcom, that I feel like they could have got a bit more out of it and maybe gave it another season (Black Books being a good example imo). There's a lot of "three seasons and it's done". Same with The Thick of It, though I think they're actually doing another season if I recall correctly.

Black Books is one of my all-time favourites. So bloody good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Yrd5YK2H4

Besides you can never go wrong with Dylan Moran AND Bill Bailey in the same show.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by DonGlover

Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Another difference between American and British comedies, up until fairly recently, a lot of American comedies were written by several people in a room, soap-opera style, all throwing ideas in (which also has something to do with the amount of episodes needed in a season). Most British comedies were written by 2-3 men teams or just one person by themselves so there were fewer ideas but a purer vision. It's also why bad American sitcoms can have some redeeming qualities or a few good lines and bad British comedies are some of the worst things ever.
OUT OF ORDER
i've seen many episodes of Friends because it used to be the best thing on non-cable TV during dinner. some of the jokes are pretty funny (i like Joey, for example), it's just the whole mushy and Friend-ly atmosphere that can be off-putting.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by DonGlover

Tell that to Skins, it should have stopped after the 2nd season and it would have gone down as one of the best UK modern sitcoms but they've milked it as much as they can and it's dreadful now. The characters aren't good.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect