Page 1 of 3
c3powil
on a coconut estate
4,180 IQ
My brother was speaking of buying a Blu-ray payer for the fam for Christmas. It got me thinking, whats so great about blu-ray that people buy these expensive systems and pay out the nose for dvds like they do? Is it just the added definition?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
4 times the definition is a pretty big deal. If you own an HD television and you don't have HD equipment hooked up to it you wasted your money. Also, it won't be too long before there are no more dvds, blu rays only, so if you keep buying dvds you're wasting your money.

And calling it expensive is non sense. Blu ray players aren't expensive anymore, and I've paid less than 10$ for most of my blu rays. For brand new releases, maybe 20$
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
because it looks awesome
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
Samdroid
#Cenation
264 IQ
It's totally worth the upgrade if your family already has an HDTV. It's silly to have a high-quality television if you're not going to get the most out of it.

If you have a standard TV, though, stick to DVDs.
c3powil
on a coconut estate
4,180 IQ
Ahh, I just remembered back in the day when the only way to get a blu-ray player cheaply was to buy a PS3, and that still was't nearly cheap. I guess now the prices would have fallen considerably.

Edit: My family has an HD tv, but they mostly use it for the HD tv channels.
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 6, 2012,
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
And 4x the storage capacity
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
2,894 IQ
more pixels is what the difference is.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
little_boy
マリオ
358 IQ
The same reason people changed from VHS to DVD back in the day.
CoreysMonster
Banned
8,557 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
4 times the definition is a pretty big deal. If you own an HD television and you don't have HD equipment hooked up to it you wasted your money. Also, it won't be too long before there are no more dvds, blu rays only, so if you keep buying dvds you're wasting your money.

And calling it expensive is non sense. Blu ray players aren't expensive anymore, and I've paid less than 10$ for most of my blu rays. For brand new releases, maybe 20$

Pretty sure online downloads are going to kill Blu Rays before they kill DVDs.
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,716 IQ
Oh geez, have you been talking to mayslash?
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
They look and sound way nicer.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 6, 2012,
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I didn't get the HD deal at first, but when you get an HD TV and watch a Blueray on it through an HDMI cable, it's a big difference.

If you have an SD TV, you won't notice much.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
palm mute
Reserved User
280 IQ
Blu-ray never got its picture on bubblegum cards, did it?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
See, I don't get Blu-ray and HD and stuff. People make this big fuss about it, but honestly, I think Blu-ray makes everything look like it was recorded on a shitty amateur camcorder. And all the lighting looks like a Soap Opera. Why is that good?
Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Dec 6, 2012,
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
See, I don't get Blu-ray and HD and stuff. People make this big fuss about it, but honestly, I think Blu-ray makes everything look like it was recorded on a shitty ameteur camcorder. And all the lighting looks like a Soap Opera. Why is that good?

You're eyes broken?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
You're eyes broken?

No, I think everyone else is just brainwashed. It looks really bad, people just think its good because its new, and "better".
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
You're eyes broken?

In a way, I can understand what he means. Because of the much higher quality, you have to fiddle with the settings more to get a great picture on certain TV's. Thats what I've found anyway. There are some though which look plain crap though.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Quote by leony03
In a way, I can understand what he means. Because of the much higher quality, you have to fiddle with the settings more to get a great picture on certain TV's. Thats what I've found anyway. There are some though which look plain crap though.

Its possible I've just had bad experiences, its always someone elses tv, so I don't know how they have them set up. (Obviously I'm not going to buy an HD tv and Blu-ray player if every time I've seen them in use its either exactly the same or worse than a normal tv.)
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
No, I think everyone else is just brainwashed. It looks really bad, people just think its good because its new, and "better".

I honestly think that is just ridiculous.

If I'm watching a football game in HD and switch to the same thing in SD it looks vastly different.

It's not even close really. Like, at all

I think you've just seen really bad tv's or you're not actually watching HD
___

Quote by The_Blode
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
2,894 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
I honestly think that is just ridiculous.

If I'm watching a football game in HD and switch to the same thing in SD it looks vastly different.

It's not even close really. Like, at all

I think you've just seen really bad tv's or you're not actually watching HD

He may be watching something in 30 fps rather than the standard 24 from the sounds of what he is saying.

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
See, I don't get Blu-ray and HD and stuff. People make this big fuss about it, but honestly, I think Blu-ray makes everything look like it was recorded on a shitty amateur camcorder. And all the lighting looks like a Soap Opera. Why is that good?

Sounds like the standard complaints of something that is >=30fps

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
c3powil
on a coconut estate
4,180 IQ
I know what he means. My family's tv is HD and whenever I watch a program (rarely since I live 150 miles away) it looks like some low budget sci-fi film's camera.
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by JimmyBanks6
He may be watching something in 30 fps rather than the standard 24 from the sounds of what he is saying.

Sounds like the standard complaints of something that is >=30fps

Yea, didn't think of that. 30FPS is weird

Quote by c3powil
I know what he means. My family's tv is HD and whenever I watch a program (rarely since I live 150 miles away) it looks like some low budget sci-fi film's camera.

Do they actually have HD programming? Just because it is an HD TV doesn't mean everything is in HD. You usually have to pay extra for HD channels.

I know so many people who did not this. That's why I'm asking.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 6, 2012,
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
I'm calling nonsense as well, Django. It's one thing for some people to not be able to see the difference. It's another to think that a higher resolution somehow makes something look works. If the hdtvs your seeing are magically making something look worse it's because you're not actually watching something hd on it. And I'm not sure how you're getting that hd would have any effect on lighting.

Quote by c3powil

Your family doesn't have hd programming. They are basically using a presumably large tv to stretch out a tiny crappy picture.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at Dec 6, 2012,
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Your family doesn't have hd programming. They are basically using a presumably large tv to stretch out a tiny crappy picture.

Exactly

SD stuff actually looks worse on HD TV's most of the time because it's all stretched. It's HD or nothing on them.
___

Quote by The_Blode
stratman7
123 IQ
TV's nowadays all have these special settings that artificially increases the frame rate so that motion onscreen is almost seamless. It's awesome for sporting events, but it makes everything else, especially super hi-def stuff like blu-rays, look like a soap opera. You just have to turn that setting off, or dial it down. Every brand has their own name for these settings, and all the TVs come with it turned on of course, because in the shop it makes whatever's on the TV look unbelievably clear. Google "my TV turns everything into a soap opera"
Nanobotter
82 IQ
not only is the image quality better (1080p) but also the refesh rate. Most LCD/LED computer monitors have a refresh rate of 60hz which is standard also NTSC DVDs work with a 60hz refresh rate, but some HDTV screen & blu-rays support the double (120hz). Higher refresh rate means more frames per second.
c3powil
on a coconut estate
4,180 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, didn't think of that. 30FPS is weird

Do they actually have HD programming? Just because it is an HD TV doesn't mean everything is in HD. You usually have to pay extra for HD channels.

I know so many people who did not this. That's why I'm asking.

Yea, they do, but I think you're right because I dont really watch the HD channels.
JimmyBanks6
Cant Steal Ma Santa Hat
2,894 IQ
Quote by Nanobotter
not only is the image quality better (1080p) but also the refesh rate. Most LCD/LED computer monitors have a refresh rate of 60hz which is standard also NTSC DVDs work with a 60hz refresh rate, but some HDTV screen & blu-rays support the double (120hz). Higher refresh rate means more frames per second.

If thats the case, then this is that "sci-fi and soap opera" look the others were complaining about.

Soap operas are displayed in 30fps. It makes the screen look flat and weird because we are so used to 24fps and theres a very slight flow lag.

It seems like the picture is cheaper, when its actually the opposite

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Redsectoreh
not blue
168 IQ
I love science fiction movies, blu ray has made some of my favorite movies even more enjoyable. Seriously; Starship Troopers on the blu is incredible.
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I want one of those 3D HD TV's so I can try out some of my 3D compatable PS3 games like Shadow of the Colossus which is probably going to be amazing 3D.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Valgoroth
70 IQ
For gamers, you don't need to use 4 discs to play a single game
StopReadingThis
Mr. Waaayyyyne
811 IQ
I agree with the soap opera affect. Everytime I walk into bestbuy or walmart, the movies they play look strange, and low-budget. Fight scenes look extremely fake, and you can tell the characters aren't really hitting eachother.

On the other hand, It makes anything animated look godly.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by Valgoroth
For gamers, you don't need to use 4 discs to play a single game

I don't have that problem on the PS3
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Skullivan
EG Fan aka Bandwagoner
1,556 IQ
Quote by Nanobotter

Close, but not exactly the best way to phrase it imo.
I like to reference this whenever explaining refresh mates to people. It's more like the speed at which frames distinguish themselves from another, so the frames don't blur. But excessively they can really screw with your eyes.

To add to this, The Hobbit was filmed in 48 fps, and tons of people (but defs not the majority) didn't like it.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I don't have that problem on the PS3

That's because your games are on blu ray.
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

If you've got an internet connection and you're buying dvds you're wasting your money.