Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Hey, which amp would You recommend (including used) ?
Like in topic, I have to spent 500-600 bucks for full tube head.
I need it for practicing at home (I ll make 1:12 power Powerbrake, so can be a bit louder) and small concerts.
The music I use to play is kind alternative rock (instrumental Pink Floyd), classic 80/90s metal (Metallica), and from time to time some high gain modern rock.
About clean. I wish it would be dark and deep like bass (opposite Fender glass clean?).

So back to question, which amp You think Would be ok for me ?

*What You think about Jet City JCA100H or Bugera 6262 maybe ?
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
JCA100 might work, it's 'clean' channel might not suit you though.
Forget about Bugera if you want something reliable.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Well, maybe some other amp sugestions then ?
It doesnt have to be only bugera vs jet city.
Tbh i ve never heard live either jca100h or bugera.

*About Bugera reliable i heard that after 2008 fabric correct, they work just fine.
Last edited by Blazkowicz at Dec 9, 2012,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
They may not catch fire anymore but they are still a Behringer. If you are gonna be carting it around do you really want a Behringer? Really? What a slogan, huh? "They don't catch fire any more." Now that really inspires confidence.
The JCA would do a fine job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 9, 2012,
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Well Bugera is a lot cheaper so I could get it new for less then 500$ with 2 years guarantee in my home city.

JCA seems to sound ok for me but I hate that kind "fake's" (I love Soldano's). That's why i have so much doubt.
Is there any diffrence in sound quality between JCA100H and JCA50H or JCA20H ?
Or it's just power ?
I can get for now used JCA100H with new JJ tubes for 580$, or brand new JCA50H for 650$.

I wish it would be available in my country, to check live it.

Some more amps would be fine for me ?
(Readed a lot good about B-52 AT100, I see I can get used one for 600$ too)
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert
63 IQ
What about some brands like Blackstar, Hayden, Marshall, Hughes and Kettner who all have that 'British' clean sound to them. If you want to keep it American then Peavey or Egnater?
Each of those will have an appropriate amp in your price range that should cover the sort of sound you're looking for
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
You have a Bugera as your second option and complain about the JCA being 'fake'?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Behringer changed name to Bugera (Behringer = Bugera), Soldano amplication didn't changed name to Jet City (two diffrent comapny) but they calling themself "like Soldano" because of designer, if that's what You mean.

Well I'm not sure about finding good sound Marshall for up to 600$ (i don't call MG series good sounded).
Have no idea about H&K or Hayden amps, any special type You have on mind ?

*With 600$ i think i Can get only Peavey Valveking head, but it's not suits to me.
Pierre-Claude
39 IQ
Like Barnesybaby said, you should check into the egnaters. I own the tweaker 40 and you got plenty clean headroom on tap and you can voice it american or british. And with the right overdrive you can easily go into metal territory.

Cathbard is the amp expert around here, i'm curious to hear what he thinks about egnater's reliability?
Last edited by Pierre-Claude at Dec 9, 2012,
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
It's not about the name, it's that Bugera just does copies of popular amps.
The 6262 is basically a Peavey 6505+, just built cheaper.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Yeah, but Bugera havn't called it "Just like Peavey 6505", user's said that.
My point is Jet City is building his mark on "Designed by Soldano" quote, what we can see on all their amps, that slogan for me - sounds cheap and makes their amps fake.
But I'm not saying that they're doing bad fake's amps (only they could change that awfull toy 333 mark), looks like "amp for users age 2-5".

Egnaters tbh i havn't ever heard about that mark, but i' ll check it, any special type You have on mind that i can get for up to 600$ ?
* But they' re not too popular in my country so can be problem with getting one (i won't risk buying on ebay used amp which i can't check first if it's working good).
Pierre-Claude
39 IQ
The Egnater Tweaker 40 head is 600$ in canada. I don't know how much in your country though.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by Pierre-Claude
Like Barnesybaby said, you should check into the egnaters. I own the tweaker 40 and you got plenty clean headroom on tap and you can voice it american or british. And with the right overdrive you can easily go into metal territory.

Cathbard is the amp expert around here, i'm curious to hear what he thinks about egnater's reliability?

I haven't had a chance to poke around inside one yet. However, I have noticed a lot of pros in TV showbands using them and that has to say something regarding their reliability.

You think Jet City are fake because they are "Designed by Soldano"? And your alternative is Bugera? Cheap Behringer clones are less fake? Did you actually think that through?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 9, 2012,
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
Well stricte, We have no idea if Bugera are fake's, we just think that way, maybe that similar sounds is just "coincidence".
With Jet City we have sure, they're just saying that they're Soldano's fake's, and trying to use it as marketing catch "Soldano designed it, they must be good".

Someone who havn't heard 6262 have no idea that it can be fake of 5150 (he might say "hm it sounds similar to 5150" and at least only perhaps it's fake), on JCA100H You don't have even to hear it, to know that it's Soldano fake (mark Jet City but Soldano designed it, sounds similar to Soldano SLO100 - seems more fake).

To make clear : I'm not telling anything bad about quality of Jet City, only about that marketing catch which makes them oficial Soldano's fake's.
I m more sensible on that kind marks, which seems to try selling stuff by "famous recomendation".
But ofc i won't resign of it becouse of that, for now probably i will take Jet City anyway, otherwise You have some more proposals ?

*Anyone have idea if there would be any quality diffrence between JCA100H and JCA50H or 20H or it's just power ?
(i think 100w is too much for me I would never use half of this power, so if it's same i would more try 50 I think).
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
They are blatant clones. Don't be ridiculous.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Blazkowicz

JCA seems to sound ok for me but I hate that kind "fake's" (I love Soldano's). That's why i have so much doubt.

wait... hang on a minute. You have a problem with jet cities, which actually are officially sanctioned, designed by mike soldano, cheaper versions of the "real thing", and have no problem with bugera, which are unofficially reverse-engineered rip offs?

I mean, personally I have no massive problem with what bugera is doing (if they didn't go on fire and were more reliable), but considering you seem to have a problem with it, that doesn't make any kind of logical sense. at all.

What you're saying is, "I'm not gonna buy this amp because it looks like a fake, so instead I'm gonna buy this other amp which IS a fake."

Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Yeah. I have no problem with clones whatsoever, I make clones myself, but that was the most bizarre thing I've read for quite some time. Some clones are better than the real thing. The primary point was that they are clones made by Behringer, not that they are clones. Behringer set the standard for "cheap and nasty." They are the "cheap and nasty" against which all other "cheap and nasty" is judged.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Blazkowicz
1,084 IQ
I ll quote from my previous post :
"I'm more sensible on that kind marks, which seems to try selling stuff by "famous recomendation".
But ofc i won't resign of it becouse of that, for now probably i will take Jet City anyway (...)"

And i just discovered that half of my fav settings on my POD X3 Live are based on 1993 Solo 100 Head which is simulation of SLO100, so probably if it's good fake I will be satisfacted with JCA100 !

And back to my last question :
*Anyone have idea if there would be any sound diffrence between JCA100H and JCA50H or 20H or it's just power ?
(i think 100w is too much for me I would never use half of this power, so if it's same i would try 50 I think).
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
cat this bitch. just shut it down.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
gah why do you keep calling the jca a fake.

it's literally a slo made in china with cheaper parts, designed by mike.

a bugera is a fake that's reversed engineered and made with leftover garbage.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^

Quote by Cathbard
Yeah. I have no problem with clones whatsoever, I make clones myself, but that was the most bizarre thing I've read for quite some time. Some clones are better than the real thing. The primary point was that they are clones made by Behringer, not that they are clones. Behringer set the standard for "cheap and nasty." They are the "cheap and nasty" against which all other "cheap and nasty" is judged.

yeah

But yeah I mean I sorta know what you're saying- the "designed by mike" soldano bit maybe looks cheap. All I'm saying is the bugera *is* cheap, and beggars can't be choosers. I mean- of course the jet city is made to a budget, too- I don't want to oversell the thing. But I don't think (and hopefully min and cath will confirm) it's made anywhere near as cheaply as the bugera stuff.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
This thread is funny as hell.

TS do you under stand that JCA 20/50/100/100HDM are actually designed by Soldano, and not anyone else. So they are the real deal amps.

PS there is no Jet City that is a SLO 100. The JCA20 is a budget Soldano Astroverb and the 50/100 are budget versions of the HR Avenger not the SLO 100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
wait... hang on a minute. You have a problem with jet cities, which actually are officially sanctioned, designed by mike soldano, cheaper versions of the "real thing", and have no problem with bugera, which are unofficially reverse-engineered rip offs?

I mean, personally I have no massive problem with what bugera is doing (if they didn't go on fire and were more reliable), but considering you seem to have a problem with it, that doesn't make any kind of logical sense. at all.

What you're saying is, "I'm not gonna buy this amp because it looks like a fake, so instead I'm gonna buy this other amp which IS a fake."

exactly what i was going to say.

+1.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
On the Egnater-side of things:

I'm the happy owner of a Rebel 30 and I can tell you it's a really nice little amp. LOTS of different tones you can get out of it, very nice clean sound - you can dial it in both very warm and jazzy or crystal clear and glassy with the tight and bright switches and the EQ.
The OD channel is awesome as well IMO but kind of hard to describe. It definitely resembles a classic kind of rock tone with tight and bright on, but not quite like a Marshall, as I said, hard to describe. It feels and sounds less dry and more chewy than the Marshalls that I played.
Now, the higher you set the gain, the more grungy it sounds. Anything past 2-3 o'clock sounds really fat, almost Recto-ish with the tight-switch off.
For metal stuff you definately need a boost IMO, mostly for tightening up the amp, but it certainly would work.

Tried a Tweaker 40 combo as well. It certainly is even more tweakable than the Rebel, had too little time with it too really do in-depth tweaking though. However, my overall impressions are: the Tweaker is tighter and drier sounding (might have to do with the speaker as well though) which people might or might not like. It's very 'vintage' or 'classic' sounding as well, but in a different way. Didn't find as nice cleans as with the Rebel though.
Also I had the feeling that the Tweaker has less gain than the Rebel.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
barnesybaby
UG's Dimarzio Expert
63 IQ
In response to the response of my earlier post (which is somewhat aged now).
I was mainly thinking of the Hayden Mofo, H&K Tubemeister, Egnater Rebel/Tweaker and Marshall DSL.
Furthermore I have just realised that you never conclusively said 'no' to used only that you would rather try and amp before buying it. Which country are you in? We could possibly find a second hand amp there that you could try...

There should be no reason why you can't dial in the same sounds through the JC JCA50 and 100, however because of different power valves and the lack of a resonance control (I think) it will sound different.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
tweaker ain't got much gain at all. cuts off at bon jovi.

mine had plenty more than you hear in bon jovi tunes.

i don't think bon jovi is really a definable "cut off" point.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
gregs it was sorta sarcasm haha but still, cuts off in the "hard rock" territory.

and the cat video

i got ya.

but "hard rock" is such a subjective thing. it's like "metal".

definitions of genres are so tough to nail down because everyone has a different definition in their head for what any particular genre is to them.

i mean, we all try to convey what we are thinking and typing words to describe sounds is a tough thing to do in a way to really get the intended meaning across accurately.

one man's metal is another man's classic rock is another man's hard rock is another man's thrash is...

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 9, 2012,
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by Blazkowicz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Behringer changed name to Bugera (Behringer = Bugera), Soldano amplication didn't changed name to Jet City (two diffrent comapny) but they calling themself "like Soldano" because of designer, if that's what You mean.

*With 600$ i think i Can get only Peavey Valveking head, but it's not suits to me.

no behringer owns bugera. i always thought they made the bugera name to distance themselves from the behringer name.

Jet city collaborates with really good amp designers and makes budget models with them, offering good tone with a little less features. Bugera blatantly reverse engineers amps with no permission and then produces them for as cheap as possible.

you'd best be served by actually trying some of these amps out before you buy them instead of just using your 'gut feeling' on evaluating them.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
$600 will buy one hell of a good used amp in the US so this whole conversation is ludicrous on so many levels it's quite a feat.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
$600 will buy one hell of a good used amp in the US so this whole conversation is ludicrous on so many levels it's quite a feat.

that is the way i feel. so much good stuff out there for 600 usd and he is strictly comparing JC to bugera. it also seems like he is trying to make the decision based on popular consensus and gut feeling.

if i had 600 bucks and didn't know anything about amps i'd be trying as many amps out as i could find.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
exactly what i was going to say.

+1.

Quote by classicrocker01