TTorque
Future Addict
390 IQ
Hey there, I'm about to get my first seven string which has a 26.5" scale.
Is it ok if I put ernie ball 9-52 strings on it with the B-E-A-D-G-B-E tuning? Or is the tension to great for this scale and I should put 10's on it? Thanks
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
It'll be fine. You'll probably get a few people chipping in telling you to put thicker strings on and a much thicker string for the low B, but really, its all about personal preference.

I have a fanned fret 7, 25.5" - 27" scale length and only have a 58 on the low B. Feels and sounds fine to me.
[thread="1575882"]Exotic Telecaster Build[/thread]

[thread="1363496"]2x12 Custom Build[/thread]

[thread="1339413"]The Official Egnater Thread V2[/THREAD]

[thread="1356444"]Seven String & ERG Legion[/THREAD]
TTorque
Future Addict
390 IQ
Quote by Wesbanez
It'll be fine. You'll probably get a few people chipping in telling you to put thicker strings on and a much thicker string for the low B, but really, its all about personal preference.

I have a fanned fret 7, 25.5" - 27" scale length and only have a 58 on the low B. Feels and sounds fine to me.

I'm actually concerned about the high E. I'm affraid of it snapping cause of the extra tension. That's all
Snake_42
382 IQ
Thicker strings means greater tension. So you're pretty much better off with the 9's man.
Dayn
536 IQ
You'll be perfectly fine. I've had an .008 tuned up to G at 27". Not optimal, but really, unless you tune your .009 up to F#, or suddenly jump to a 32"~ scale, you'll be fine.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
thebestjoe
546 IQ
Meshuggah uses 9's on a 30 inch scale, you'll be fine.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
TTorque
Future Addict
390 IQ
Quote by thebestjoe
Meshuggah uses 9's on a 30 inch scale, you'll be fine.

Okay, but is it the EADGBE tuning?
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
A lighter gauge is less likely to break than a thicker one. Strings break when they get caught, worn down or tension is increased too much. The breaking point for a .08 string is more or less the same as a .012.

So long as the guitar is made decently and every part is set up properly, there's no reason to fear string breakages.

I would avoid thicker string gauges and use .009s at most simply because the tension, while not a problem for the strings, can be a problem for the neck itself, not to mention it'll be harder to bend strings accurately and control vibrato.

Use the string gauge that lets you play your best.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
A lighter gauge is less likely to break than a thicker one. Strings break when they get caught, worn down or tension is increased too much. The breaking point for a .08 string is more or less the same as a .012.

So are Ernie Balls just weak strings? Because I used EB 9s for many years before moving up to Rotosound 10s and then D'Addario 10s, and I swear that the EB 9 had a tendency to break, but I can't recall breaking a string since since I changed. I always thought it was the gauge change that made the difference, but I suppose it could be the brand.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Could be. Ernie Ball is an odd one for me to judge; I've never had a single one break, but loads of other people say they break all the time. It's quite possible they are made a little weaker than other brands, I just can't vouch for it myself. In my experience, it's been D'Addarios that have broken quickest
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.