Page 1 of 3
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
I know this may sound like a really dumb thread topic but it's been really getting to me.

Whenever I listen to any metal now, I feel like I'm an annoying obsessive 14yo social-outcast metalhead who's not only immature but a disgusting piece of shit.

Whenever I listen to anything Progressive anymore I feel like a pretentious cunt who listens to complex music just for the hell of it. Which is absolutely not the case, because I enjoy

Metalcore I don't even enjoy anymore because of how boring musically it is, but I don't dare to turn it on because of the horrendous image that would have me associated with: the annoying highschoolers with guitar egos and fedoras who are constantly claiming "music is my life" and spewing stupid phrases like "Play 'till the fingers bleed".

I've even tried forcing myself to listen to more "proper" and "correct" genres, but I just couldn't seriously get myself into them. I'll admit it, Jazz is cool, I enjoy listening to a bit of it (particularly Benson and Allen Hinds), but it's really not my thing. At all.

But I've felt I can't enjoy anything anymore without relating myself of the Pit's generalizations and negative associations on music genres. Like I always feel I should be listening to "better" music, even though I enjoy what I listen to now.

Who else gets this same feeling?

TL;DR: The title.
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie
562 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I know this may sound like a really dumb thread topic but it's been really getting to me.

Whenever I listen to any metal now, I feel like I'm an annoying obsessive 14yo social-outcast metalhead who's not only immature but a disgusting piece of shit.

Whenever I listen to anything Progressive anymore I feel like a pretentious cunt who listens to complex music just for the hell of it. Which is absolutely not the case, because I enjoy

Metalcore I don't even enjoy anymore because of how boring musically it is, but I don't dare to turn it on because of the horrendous image that would have me associated with: the annoying highschoolers with guitar egos and fedoras who are constantly claiming "music is my life" and spewing stupid phrases like "Play 'till the fingers bleed".

I've even tried forcing myself to listen to more "proper" and "correct" genres, but I just couldn't seriously get myself into them. I'll admit it, Jazz is cool, I enjoy listening to a bit of it (particularly Benson and Allen Hinds), but it's really not my thing. At all.

But I've felt I can't enjoy anything anymore without relating myself of the Pit's generalizations and negative associations on music genres. Like I always feel I should be listening to "better" music, even though I enjoy what I listen to now.

Who else gets this same feeling?

TL;DR: The title.

wut?

Not so much, regardless of how much the Pit suggests it, i still haven't listened to The Gaslight Anthem.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
The mumu thread has exposed me to a lot of music I would have otherwise never heard/known of but besides that no.
Bob_Sacamano
UG Board King
238 IQ
Not genres, idgaf but it has influenced my tastes overall a lot. I've found so much here that I listen to all the time and it's helped expand my horizons a lot.
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
I feel I should have been a bit more specific. I was referring to more of negative generalizations the Pit often carries that keeps you from wanting to listen to what you want or what you'd normally like.

I.e.: "I don't want to listen to *insert band/genre* because it's/they're insulted regularly in the Pit and I don't want to look like a dweeb."
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Holy **** is that accurate. Feel the same way, TS.
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Not genres, idgaf but it has influenced my tastes overall a lot. I've found so much here that I listen to all the time and it's helped expand my horizons a lot.

this. if anything it's opened my mind to genres i had previously dismissed.

protip: if someone makes fun of the music you listen to here, you're probably a shitbiscuit and an easy target.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Dec 9, 2012,
raoooos
gaffer
291 IQ
No, because I can successfully separate my own opinions from the opinions of an internet forum.
lol nah bish
tomc2
422 IQ
If you let an internet forum decide what you should listen to, you need to rethink your life. Listen to music that you like, any genre, and **** everyone else's opinion. If you like it, listen to it. Simple as that.
Bladez22
Faerie boy
242 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I feel I should have been a bit more specific. I was referring to more of negative generalizations the Pit often carries that keeps you from wanting to listen to what you want or what you'd normally like.

I.e.: "I don't want to listen to *insert band/genre* because it's/they're insulted regularly in the Pit and I don't want to look like a dweeb."

That happens with every music genre and everywhere in life. Just listejn to what you like, you dont have to act like the stereotpes that go with them
I guess I still miss you
Oh well, it's me and you
What else should we do?
When talking is for functioning people
Spaztikko
2,246 IQ
Quote by TOMMYB22
wut?

Not so much, regardless of how much jetfuel suggests it, i still haven't listened to The Gaslight Anthem.

ftfy
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Jesus, stop making threads
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Jesus, stop making threads

I like Jesus' threads
Joshua Garcia
Joshole
5,717 IQ
They can think whatever they want about the genre, I'm listening to the music for me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
2,508 IQ
I give zero ****s of what people think of my musical tastes.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
purplexing
Rock n' Roll idealist
610 IQ
hell no, if anything it has strengthened my idea of douchy prog heads
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Not so much myself, but the pit made look at other people that listened to that music and realize that they are disgusting losers. Then I stopped listening to that music.

EDIT: Also, because that music bored me.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Dec 9, 2012,
GuitarGod_92
the Succubus Queen
363 IQ
Sometimes I'll listen to what some UGers suggest in order to expand my horizons, but most people on this website listen to shit awful music and I'm above them so I don't give a shit.
My name is Sestra!
She/her pronouns please!
And if you call me by my username I'll bite your dick off.

Quote by suckersdream
I'll suck your dick

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
"Everything sucks" - GuitarGod_92, 2014

<3 eastwinn <3
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
The Pit? Hell no. This place hasn't shown me any music or made me feel negative about anything I listen to.

Now, when I first started posting here I felt discouraged from listening to the mainstream stuff I was listening to. So, I found a lot of stuff from the Hardcore and Metal Forums that was/is amazing and I still listen to frequently, but at one point I had completely shunned older music I listened to.

At this point, however, I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about the music I like. I listn 2 wut i w0nt
Thrill-house
150 IQ
No. However I have found some cool bands thanks to people on here, I've also found out that some people are incredibly stupid when it comes to music.
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
Not at all.

The Pit's opinion includes: Metallica are sellouts, Kurt Cobain has zero talent, metal sucks big fat donkey dick, and pop music is shit.

Nothing has really changed over the past 8 years, and I didn't particularly agree with any of the above
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by beau05
Not at all.

The Pit's opinion includes: Metallica are sellouts, Kurt Cobain has zero talent, metal sucks big fat donkey dick, and pop music is shit.

Nothing has really changed over the past 8 years, and I didn't particularly agree with any of the above

lol wut

The only relevant opinion you just posted was the "metal sucks big fat donkey dick" one, and that's only about half of the pit.
you're a stone fox
iwannabesedated
Out There
923 IQ
Not the pit, however the punk forum got me to listen to a lot of good stuff over the years.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Pro tip: you're that even when you're not listening to metal.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
thePTOD
UG Fanatic
2,585 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I've never once heard anyone I know who enjoys metalcore say either of those phrases. I like bands that are considered metalcore. Get over it. One genre I enjoy out of a large multitude does not single-handedly define me. I'm no less of a musician than you.

Quote by raoooos
No, because I can successfully separate my own opinions from the opinions of an internet forum.

This.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Really, Ian?! REALLY?! You're obsessing over the Pit's opinion on music genres?! *bitchslap*

Stop listening to what other people say. Listen to what you like.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 9, 2012,
palm mute
Reserved User
280 IQ
No. That is really pretty sad.

I mean I've found bands on here, but I listen to what I like to listen to. No shame.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Saint78
Not so much myself, but the pit made look at other people that listened to that music and realize that they are disgusting losers. Then I stopped listening to that music.

EDIT: Also, because that music bored me.

Bro, you're so 14 some times.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Quote by Xiaoxi

To start, I'm 19, not 14, so that renders that part invald.

Second, what else do 14yo social outcasts listen to aside from metal? Skrillex? Nickelback? I can't stand those artists either.

Quote by thePTOD
I've never once heard anyone I know who enjoys metalcore say either of those phrases. I like bands that are considered metalcore. Get over it. One genre I enjoy out of a large multitude does not single-handedly define me. I'm no less of a musician than you.
You obviously haven't seen enough.

Who I just described were every one of the kids in my high school who thought they were "true metal fans." My ass.
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by Xiaoxi

you can't pro tip i already pro tipped first
Rust_in_Peace34
Pancakes are my business
76 IQ
I've learned a couple important things just by observing posts and reflecting on my own views: musical taste is unjustifiable. The more you try to justify your tastes as being valid the more you sink into that hole of believing they can or should be justified; you begin to believe there's a superior way to analyze music in order to grant it some sort of legitimacy. I don't believe this kind of legitimacy of knowledge people so often seek within art can exist. It's just a manifestation of personal perspective.

Those with tastes outside the norm have increasing difficulty with coming to terms with such tastes and obviously take up more defensive positions making them seem elitist or pretentious. These same people can at times even seem incredibly intelligent because of the lengths they go to interweave a framework of reason for why they must listen to what they listen to. They have different criterion for their aesthetic values and at times seem ridiculous, of course, because the judgements they have created based on their tastes conflict with so many others' views.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,632 IQ
Quote by RU Experienced?
The mumu thread has exposed me to a lot of music I would have otherwise never heard/known of but besides that no.

You're welcome bud.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
Flying Couch
∀ Gundam?!
1,041 IQ
"If I had ten fucks before, and ten fucks now, how many fucks did I give?"

About summarizes what I think about the Pit's opinion on music taste.