Page 1 of 2
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Seriously my lack of rhythm is comical. I spent years learning to play the guitar but never even understood the concept of timing or playing with a band. I guess the guys that I played with were just too embarrassed for me, or they assumed I was just bad and knew it. I eventually realized the problem and kind of gave up trying to be a musician and moved into being an audio engineer. Did well with that and toured around a good bit but realized I didn't like the lifestyle and wanted to be home more.

Now years later, I find myself accumulating equipment (small rental company I have) and I also bought an electric drum set a while back. Got married and my wife plays drums. Now that I have all this gear laying around I figured we should have some fun and play.

But I'm REALLY bad with my timing and rhythm.

I've slept with a metronome on for MANY MANY nights... I just don't really have it in me. I mean, it's not so bad that I can't clap to the beat, but say I'm playing around on the electric drum kit to the programmed tracks and the click and I go to do a drum fill. It is unlikely I'll come back on beat... I'll be at LEAST a 1/4 note off. I can find my way back but the wife, and most people, always get a kick out of how bad I am at it. My old band I used to do a lot of background vocals and they were always amazed at how I could sing well and on key, but I just couldn't stay on beat very well at all.

Example, I wanted to play for fun and decided I would play the basic parts on Last Resort by Papa Roach... fun and easy enough, but I was still sloppy as hell. Then I did the vocals for RATM Bulls on Parade and my drummer would have to cue me in with a splash symbol to know when to start (I probably should have counted but I was too busy looking cool ) Then I would have to memorize certain words that had to land on certain beats and make sure to drag (I always rush as most do) and hit those words on that beat. Our singer said it actually sounded kind of cool like I was freestyling it, so at least I got away with it to most of the crowd. LOL To the others that would say something I would gladly say "Yep, I'm sure you could do better than I could, but can you sing 4-5 nights a week for 3 hours? Because that is the reason I'm up here, to give our singer a break."

Anyway... looking for any advice or maybe even songs that are easy enough to play with the wife that aren't too complicated rhythmically. Just looking to have a good time and get the family involved a little, we have an 18 year old that is talented in piano and singing, her boy friend plays bass and my wife's brother is amazingly talented at every instrument and can sing too. So we could have a good deal of fun, but I don't want to drag down the party for everyone.

Any help for me?
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Can you count out the beats to songs? That would be my first step. Pop music is great for this because it is meant to be danced to so it makes the beat really strong and in your face.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Yeah, basically. I always attempt to count out odd time signatures (big fan of them ironically).

I used to run lights in night clubs and learned the simple structure to most songs via the uber talented DJ's that I always worked with when I tried to learn to beat mix. 32 beats then change 32 beats change.

But those cats have that internal ability to pay attention to that where for me it has to be VERY conscious and I can't really do much else when I try to divide my attention when it comes to beats. Funny considering that I am very intelligent and can multi-task well in many other facets of life. Example that is still musical is making a band sound good while still chatting it up with friends/fans/waitresses. Can easily focus on minute details of the sound spectrum that I bet no one else noticed I was changing while talking away the entire time.

One of those DJ friends could beat mix 2 beats and ride an acapella track while digging through a crate of records and talking to me at the same time. Insane talent.

I basically try to go off "feel" which is a bad idea for a guy like me.
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I don't believe that you that bad a sense of timing.

No one ever does... then they get a pretty good laugh when they see me try and are quite amazed as it has always come so naturally to them.

And it's funny because I once did some moon lighting with another local band on our off nights for some extra cash and the guys in my band were like "so how were they?" and I was like, well... not bad but the drummer seemed to just be a little off, like he was slow then fast a bit. But I could barely tell... just something wasn't right. The thing was that I had only hung out with ROCK solid drummers for so long that I didn't know anything else. Once they finally got a chance to see them for themselves they were like "yep, you were right, his tempo fluctuates." I could only really tell that something wasn't right because our drummer and the other drummer that I had been hanging out with for the years before that were machines (but not stale).

Only relief I have is that my other bro-in-law has down syndrome and he TRULY has ZERO concept of rhythm. He can't even sing along with the song without being all over the place, says lines before they are there or makes sure to say them after they have already been sung... he has to get every line in and has ZERO clue that what he is doing isn't right. It's comical, he is having a blast though. One of his favorite things to do is sing Karaoke, even though it's nearly painful to watch. LOL
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by ouchies
Just play while tapping your foot or with a metronome on or both at the same time. Theres no easy solution other than to practice and cognizant of it while you play.

Cognitive is definitely the trick... I didn't even understand the concept of playing WITH the drummer for years. I remember having a friend that played drums and I would just play a riff and he would play along, I was never cognitive of the fact that I should have been listening to him. But he never said anything and would just play along. Obviously this was a disservice to me as I couldn't even work on it because I didn't know my problem existed. Guitar teacher was the same way. I assume they were just trying to be nice and not tell me how bad I was. LOL

Once I became aware of the problem I worked on it, but it just was never going to happen to the level I needed it to happen so I resided to not being a real musician. I just want to be able to jam and have some fun now.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
how much music have you learned by ear? when you're forced to actually immerse yourself in the music, you can derive understanding from instruments beyond your own, as well as getting a very specific break-down of what you're playing without taking visual queues from some guy on the internet who makes tablature in his free time. accents, dynamics, very underappreciated things prior to training your ear and allowing yourself to develop a sense of pridefulness and expression in any number of parameters achievable on your given instrument.

also, TS, are you white can you dance?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Last edited by Hail at Dec 10, 2012,
Gilligan8
212 IQ
LOL... yep, white... I don't dance. But I was told that I should because it helps build rhythm. I am in "Cajun Country" so we have a lot of waltz type cajun music... I hate it but I mean I get it 1,2,3... boom kack kack, book kack kack. BUT, say to put a triplet over a 4/4 beat I can eventually get it after I attempt it a few times. Not as natural as most guitar players that solo with triplets and stuff on 4/4 beats.

Learning music by ear... I can do it ok, but I always mix up roots for 5ths and stuff and have to have someone check what I think I hear. But I do play from the feel and I listen the song more than I just "read" the song. I pretty much can tell when someone tabbed a song incorrectly that's for sure. It amazes how bad some of these guys can tab a song given how poor my ear is.

Another example of how I hear things, when I sing background vocals I basically match the root note then I push a bit harder and see how that sounds and then if I'm hitting a 3rd and want a 5th I push harder and vice versa. Obviously I do this in my head before I belt it out.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
figure out what key the song resolves to and just play it with that one note and see how you can do. i remember doing this exercise to get down rhythms outside of doing the old clap-and-count thing back in school. you can use this with your hands and a desk/lap to copy drums, too - if you can get an idea what the drummer's doing, it's hard to lose the pulse

i don't have any particular examples or anything, because it's all in what you listen to. if you have a problem with a particular song, you work on that song until you don't. actual music tends to be the best sort of exercise, so i'd just keep learning whatever music you can.

don't think you can't learn a good rhythm at any point, though - just like singing, anyone can hold a tune, even if their tone isn't exactly ear-friendly, and it will at least sound not-bad.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
bdof
Very Kissable
2,504 IQ
Stop posting novels on every post OP...

Rockingamer is right though, pay attention to the beat. Also, start listening to the snare. It can make a huge difference in feel. Songs that generally have a riff with the snare on the 2nd + 4th beats have a more upbeat feel to them, while riffs with just a snare on the 3rd tend to have a feel of power since the song's downbeat is drawn out.

These are the first things I truely learned from working with a drummer. Listen for it, you'll never be able to unhear it again.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
You feel it, really. It's inside you. I know that's probably the most cliche, zen answer ever.

In a band, listen to the others, and not just yourself. A tip I learnt from college - non verbal communication. Look at the drummer, look at his sticks. Look at the bassist, those two are what hold the rhythm section of a band together...

... although every band member is responsible, really and truly.

Another tip - set a metronome about 70bpm. Clap 4 beats of straight eighths... now clap 4 beats of swung eighths... and back to straight again.

Can you comfortably alternate between straight and swing feels?

Reduce the metronome by 10 bpm. The slower it is, the harder it becomes to find the absolute centre of the beat (when playing straight), and the more you delay the swung eighth, you'll get a real vicious swing. Reduce the speed further, 50, 40...

Try the circular strumming motion that Stevie Ray Vaughn did with his Texas blues shuffles. That's a really good one, actually!

My dear mother teaches Ballet and Tap for a living... and some kids don't have any rhythm. She says "it's a ****ing nightmare". Lol.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by bdof
Stop posting novels on every post OP...

He's just answering multiple questions. It's nothing to complain about.

TS. I would suggest you get a few lessons from a drum teacher. Don't buy drums (unless you want to) as it's about the principles of rhythm, or have a look on YouTube for basic lessons on following a beat and follow the beat with a bongo. Basic lessons just focus on understanding rhythm slowly. It might be what you need. If it takes 10, 20 lessons just on the very basics then so be it. But you will get it. This is just a method, tapping your foot is the cheapest way forward.

Music is in us, the primal understanding of rhythm. Pulse, timing. It's what we're all about. We listen to it sub consciously all day and night. You just need to unlock it.

I've taught people who have never been bothered with music to play a 4/4 on their thighs with their hands with just a little bit of practice, and you're into it and willing to learn it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 11, 2012,
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
He's just answering multiple questions. It's nothing to complain about.

TS. I would suggest you get a few lessons from a drum teacher. Don't buy drums (unless you want to) as it's about the principles of rhythm, or have a look on YouTube for basic lessons on following a beat and follow the beat with a bongo. Basic lessons just focus on understanding rhythm slowly. It might be what you need. If it takes 10, 20 lessons just on the very basics then so be it. But you will get it. This is just a method, tapping your foot is the cheapest way forward.

Music is in us, the primal understanding of rhythm. Pulse, timing. It's what we're all about. We listen to it sub consciously all day and night. You just need to unlock it.

I've taught people who have never been bothered with music to play a 4/4 on their thighs with their hands with just a little bit of practice, and you're into it and willing to learn it.

Thank you, though I do go off on example and stories... sorry, I'm a "talker". Isn't it better than not enough info?

I still feel that I'm not properly expressing where I stand on ZERO rhythm like my bro-in-law and sloppy rhythm as I'm somewhere in between.

I have on of the best drummers around as one of my friends, and he runs a music school, I might have to just go take some lessons.

I do have a drum set, I have a Yamaha DTXpress III and my wife has a premier acoustic set (I prefer the electric set).

And that is the thing, I can follow a song on the drums a bit, the DTX has songs built in that you can "jam" to including with or without the metronome and it's on a volume knob of it's own). It's sloppy and I'm kind of all over the place but I'm there. I can even through in a simple fill if I consciously start it on the 3. But say I try to do a long fill for a whole measure, I find myself just kind of rambling around waiting for that down beat to come along and I have to REALLY focus on the click. I'm going to have to take the click away and see if I can follow just the music, but I'm certain I'll get further off (sloppy) than with the click and possibly completely on the wrong beat (down vs up).
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by mdc

My dear mother teaches Ballet and Tap for a living... and some kids don't have any rhythm. She says "it's a ****ing nightmare". Lol.

I have seen this. My buddy that I was just talking about puts on this amazing "Rock Camp" every summer and we film it and produce the DVD for the kids to take home. They take BUNCH of kids and divide them into 4 "classes" and then teach each group 3-5 songs. At the end of the week they get up on a huge stage and play for all the parents with a full PA and lights. It's awesome. We are talking 6-10 guitar players, 2-3 bass players, 2-4 singers, and about 10 drummers. It's impressive that they can pull it all off (but they do only mic one drum kit and a few guitar amps of the select players ). They have a rock box for the kids to hop on to take solos and everything.

But where it relates is some of those kids that go have NO business being there... I desperately what to save them years of waste and frustration and say, "I've been there, you just don't get it and never will." But of course they think they are having a good time, who am I to stop them. Those drum instructors will be in their face clicking sticks and they just are playing "blah blah blah" with no concept of what they should be doing. They put those kids in the back.

As for "feeling it"... that is where I am just not sure I have it. I really have to FOCUS on it and even then it's sloppy. I played with some friends at a show playing Smells Like Teen Spirit (this was many years ago), and the bass player looked over at me and shouted "Wow, you REALLY have no rhythm!" and laughed. I just said "Nope!" and kept on rocking out!
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
Sounds like you need to subdivide. Put a metronome on at around 70-75 bpm and count sixteenth notes (1 e + a, or one ee and ah, etc.) for each beat. Now try playing along with it. It doesn't matter what you play, as long as you're within that sixteenth note beat. Once you get into a groove, try to cut out the counting. If you still struggle, go back to counting.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Gilligan8, can you read music?

Not saying you need to know how to sight read fluently, but it is definitely worth learning the very basics of rhythm notation. Don't worry about the notes on the staff, just the rhythmic values.
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by mdc
Gilligan8, can you read music?

Not saying you need to know how to sight read fluently, but it is definitely worth learning the very basics of rhythm notation. Don't worry about the notes on the staff, just the rhythmic values.

Yes, I learned piano back in grade school... I think back now and wonder how much of a torture that must have been for the teacher. LOL

But, yes... I even remember dotted notes, ties and rest.

(Oh, that has more impact when you know that that was almost 30 years ago for me. LOL)
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,512 IQ
I've been giving lessons to a guy with no rhythm, trying to get him to tap his foot to the met, he's never gonna get it i think.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Tempoe
I've been giving lessons to a guy with no rhythm, trying to get him to tap his foot to the met, he's never gonna get it i think.

This is what I was waiting for. I think now is a good time to say what I wanted to say...

You've either got rhythm or you haven't.

Sorry.
ouchies
UG's OG
1,613 IQ
Quote by mdc
This is what I was waiting for. I think now is a good time to say what I wanted to say...

Sorry.

Nah I dont think this is true.

I find a lot of people, myself included, tend to skip the fundamentals and learn crazy guitar stuff.

Another recommendation to the OP, play some thing really simple, but groovy and just keep jamming on it. Use muted strings to emulate snares, etc. I'll maybe post a video to show you what I mean (if I find time, its finals week now). Developing this type of guitar playing really really helped develop my rhythm and completely transformed my playing.

But seriously, anyone can develop rhythm.
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist
1,005 IQ
Quote by mdc

Sorry.

I find this hard to believe. Mostly cause I don't want to believe it, though.
tehREALcaptain
802 IQ
Here's a thing that helps.
Buy a metronome, set to to play in 4/4 at around 80
Clap whole notes (once every four clicks), then half notes (twice every four clicks), then quarter notes, eighth notes and sixteenth notes, then do some triplets (three claps per click), and do this stuff every day for as long as it takes, eventually moving the speed up and then down (this actually gets a lot harder as you slow it down). The problem with
Practicing rhythm on your instrument first, is that odds are, If you have bad time, there are other fundamental aspects of your musicianship and instrumental approach that are bad, and you are reinforcing your bad time habits with your (possibly) bad practice habits, tonal memory or technique. I'f you can't comfortably clap rhythms with your hands (a technical skill much much easier then playing the right pitches in the right rhythm with the right tone production on your guitar), it's impossible to think you'd be able to play in time.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by tehREALcaptain
I'f you can't comfortably clap rhythms with your hands (a technical skill much much easier then playing the right pitches in the right rhythm with the right tone production on your guitar), it's impossible to think you'd be able to play in time.

+ infinity. Really.
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist
1,005 IQ
Quote by Hail
are you white can you dance?

Objection! Irrelevant. I can't dance worth spit either, have terrible rhythm but I'm Hispanic/Latino, born and raised (for the most part, so far, anyway).

I can't play soccer either

edit: crossed out
Last edited by CryogenicHusk at Dec 12, 2012,
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by CryogenicHusk
I find this hard to believe. Mostly cause I don't want to believe it, though.

Yeah, truth hurts doesn't it?
But seriously, anyone can develop rhythm.

If they haven't got it... they haven't got it.
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist
1,005 IQ
Quote by mdc
If they haven't got it... they haven't got it.

Honestly, I am not sure if it's an all or nothing situation. I mean, I could be wrong, but like so many other skills and attributes, I think different people have varying degrees of it. Some get a head start compared to others, and some have a higher potential for certain skills.

Not everybody lifts the same weight the first time they decide to go to the gym to pump some iron, yet just about anybody can become very strong (relatively speaking, anyway) with proper diet, routine, time and rest. It might take some longer than others... It might also require a more strict routine/daily life for some. However, that's not at all saying everybody can be a world-class olympic lifter or power lifter, just like not everybody can compete with Usain Bolt, or, more in topic, Joe Pass, but still...

Edit: forgot to say that there's also the possibility that it is more akin to perfect pitch - you're either born with it or not. In that case, I guess it might be possible to fake it or learn workarounds (in the case of perfect pitch, you can get by as a musician without it if you have an awesome relative pitch).
Last edited by CryogenicHusk at Dec 12, 2012,
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by CryogenicHusk
Objection! Irrelevant. I can't dance worth spit either, have terrible rhythm but I'm Hispanic/Latino, born and raised (for the most part, so far, anyway).

I can't play soccer either

well that's why it's crossed out isn't it
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
ouchies
UG's OG
1,613 IQ
MDC - i can believe that there exists someone who absolutely cannot comprehend rhythm, however i highly doubt this is the case with the OP. if someone can play a melody on the guitar, they comprehend rhythm. if this was not the case they wouldnt be able to play anything really, it would just sound like random rhythmic patterns in no particular tempo

what the TS has a problem with is staying with a steady beat, he either speeds up, slow down or makes mistakes and misses notes and correcting these things is possible.

edit: since i dont really have time to make a vid, check this out. this is what i mean by playing something simple and building on the groove.

starts at 5:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39zz9Bg9i_c
Last edited by ouchies at Dec 12, 2012,
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Ok. I accept that the issue here is that there's a difference between no rhythm, and bad timing. I hope for TS's sake that it's the latter. At least then it's something that can be remedied.

Don't know the solution though. One of my classmates at college had horrendous timing... but had rhythm.

It's just as soon as he was put in a band situation his timing went out the window.

So I don't know how to help TS.

Also, I think it's more difficult to ingrain a concept (like rhythm) in to someone, how should we say, slightly older?

It's not like you can drill it in to them at a young age so it stays with them.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 12, 2012,
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Being basically in the middle of Steve Martin in "The Jerk" and you guys that don't have much issue keeping a tight rhythm I feel best qualified to discuss this "born with it or not".

I do believe that is basically the case. Like has been said in other ways, you can develop it, but to what extent? Like perfect pitch (good example).

I know anyone can improve their rhythm, but it's probably improved as a percentage of their innate ability. Just like singing and tone. Sorry, but not everyone can sing and even if you can sing, your tone can suck. Take this kic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lgMhXXTukY

Granted I think there is possibly something else going wrong there... but that's just it, some people have it to a degree and some don't. That kid COULD get better.. but by how much? and it would most likely still sound awful and he probably shouldn't sing for anyone.

My bro-in-law could probably get marginally better at his rhythm, but he still would be utterly clueless to it.

So let's say 10%-20% improvement. That isn't too bad, I'd be ok with a 20% improvement. But 20% still only gets me just able to play and not able to be John Petrucci (ok, not the greatest reference but you get my point).
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Quote by tehREALcaptain
Here's a thing that helps.
Buy a metronome, set to to play in 4/4 at around 80
Clap whole notes (once every four clicks), then half notes (twice every four clicks), then quarter notes, eighth notes and sixteenth notes, then do some triplets (three claps per click), and do this stuff every day for as long as it takes, eventually moving the speed up and then down (this actually gets a lot harder as you slow it down). The problem with
Practicing rhythm on your instrument first, is that odds are, If you have bad time, there are other fundamental aspects of your musicianship and instrumental approach that are bad, and you are reinforcing your bad time habits with your (possibly) bad practice habits, tonal memory or technique. I'f you can't comfortably clap rhythms with your hands (a technical skill much much easier then playing the right pitches in the right rhythm with the right tone production on your guitar), it's impossible to think you'd be able to play in time.

I definitely agree with you, I was honestly ignorant of how rhythm, timing and instruments were conscious of each other. I know it sounds dumb and that's because it was. Don't know how I didn't get it. I was too busy learning all the different modes of scales and such. If I'd have understood the interplay and given this lesson with it's purpose then maybe I'd already be a little closer to where I'd like to be.

So, these lessons. How long should be clapping through each "pattern" before moving on to the next one. Should I go through all of these each day or focus on one or two sets?

Just for an update, I took a quick stab at it last night (not much spare time as we are heading to a convention tomorrow (yeah, I'm old, but it is paying for 2/3rds of this gear I just bought and the next one I do will have me making a profit just on renting the gear. :p ) So, I was able to fairly easily DO everything except the 16th notes. It wasn't tight by any means, in fact pretty sloppy... but I was able to follow it, even the triplets.... took me a second for that one.

Give me a regiment, I'd be more inclined to stick to it if I had more specifics.

Thanks!
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist
1,005 IQ
Quote by Gilligan8
But 20% still only gets me just able to play and not able to be John Petrucci (ok, not the greatest reference but you get my point).

I happen to like Petrucci's rhythm playing/riffs, better than the majority of his solos...

I just believe that unless you're a very extreme case (I am sure a mental disorder/whatever exists for it, where people just don't have it and probably can't get it, like mdc said. It is very possible with all the stuff there is out there) or just don't practice the right things that help you in this area (either because you don't notice your own shortcoming or because you're too focused on getting 100nps, at any cost, to notice it or even care about it), then you can at least make it so that it sounds decent like you said.

Maybe your potential doesn't allow you to reach Julian Lage or Armand Hirsch levels of rhythmic awesomeness, but I think just about anybody can work towards that 20%, or so, improvement that allows you to play and have fun without making people want to throw stuff at you. And that's what matters to me and a lot of people out there. And if you want fame, well, a fair amount of "sloppy" (put it in quotes because all of them are better than me, even if they are not Paul Gilbert or Shawn Lane) have made it big without having the exact same machine-like precision of some of the very top ones.
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Mmmm... Paul Gilbert. My first/only guitar teacher turned me onto him and his alternate picking method and I was hooked. His first few tapes (all I've seen) are practically FUNDAMENTAL for any guitar player. "Now lets take it up to speed..." <drool>

So today I set up that terrible group and the bass player wondered off for half the rehearsal so I picked it up to have a bit of fun. And I did... Wasn't terrible in fact I bet the wrong notes were more offensive to most. Hell the band leader (total bitch) asked if I was playing with them and started showing me the bass lick for a kind of tough song, it was a bit tricky so I said is this a dominate part and she said it was so I informed her that she really didn't want me playing it and she should do it on the keyboard.

But I feel a good bit better. Main problem I was noticing was a lack of counting and just relying on feel. And worse (I assume) was following the guitar players and not listening to the drummer.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
I think rather than a whole band, you should just work with one member for some practice. The bassist will be a good one. You need to understand groove, and he'll be able to help you with that.

You'll just have to focus a bit more.

There's only so much advice that can be given on a forum... just have to get in the real situation. Tis the best way... the only way!
Last edited by mdc at Dec 16, 2012,
Gilligan8
212 IQ
Lol... I was the bass player in this situation. And it was just a spur of the moment thing where no one was playing bass while they were working through some songs for the night... But I get what you are saying. It will mostly be me and the wife (drummer) at the house as my oldest daughter has moved out and won't always be around.