Colorado legalizes marijuana; two CU students feed pot brownies to class

Page 1 of 4
BOULDER — Two University of Colorado Boulder students are facing multiple felony charges after they allegedly fed pot-laced brownies to their unsuspecting history class — leading to the hospitalization of three people.

The professor of the course was taken to a hospital by paramedics Friday after complaining of dizziness and dropping in and out of consciousness.

"Anybody who thinks this is cute, anybody who thinks this was funny, is going to face pretty serious sanctions, both criminally and potentially within the student conduct process," said CU spokesman Bronson Hilliard.

Thomas Ricardo Cunningham, 21, and Mary Elizabeth Essa, 19, baked THC-laced brownies for their class at the Hellems Arts and Sciences Building on Friday, said Ryan Huff, CU police spokesman.

After the professor was taken to the hospital, a student's mother notified campus police that her daughter, who had been in the professor's class, was in the hospital after having a panic attack.

Later that day, the parents of another student in the same class took her to a hospital after she told them she felt like she would blackout.

A total of eight people out of the class of 12 fell ill from the brownies.

The names of the professor and students were not released by the police.

"There could be prison time involved in this case," Huff said.

The charges include assault in the second degree and inducing consumption of controlled substances by fraudulent means.

The brownies were brought as part of a "bring food to class" day. Police said the brownies and orange juice were the only items brought to class.

Cunningham and Essa are being held without bond at the Boulder County jail, Huff said.

source

According to CU's website, the students could face the following charges:

-- Assault in the Second Degree (Class 4 felony)
-- Inducing Consumption of Controlled Substances by Fraudulent Means (Class 4 felony)
-- Conspiracy to Commit Assault in the Second Degree (Class 5 felony)
-- Conspiracy to Commit Inducing Consumption of Controlled Substances by Fraudulent Means (Class 5 felony)

Quite the example you're setting so far, Colorado.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Dec 10, 2012,
If they didnt inform people there was pot in the brownies, then **** em. Trippin without realizing your tripping ****ing sucks.
And now pot is illegal again.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Very stupid on their part. They deserve what's coming to them.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
That's how you ruin the fun for everybody.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by CurbstompBass
Yeah, I would have been pretty mad. What if one of their classmates had to take a drug test for a job or something?

Legit question: do they do drug tests for pot as part of the application process for low-level jobs in Colorado?
Quote by jetfuel495
inb4 one of the victims was straight edge and da crew comes and throws down inside their parents houses

Quote by CurbstompBass
Yeah, I would have been pretty mad. What if one of their classmates had to take a drug test for a job or something?

Exactly.

And being high and not knowing what you're on or what's happening ****ing sucks.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by whywefight
Legit question: do they do drug tests for pot as part of the application process for low-level jobs in Colorado?

Yes. It hasn't changed that, however, it's gonna be a big ol' pain in the rump for the employer once somebody gets fired/not hired after testing positive for THC.
Quote by Overlord
This shit is NOT cool. Colorado is supposed to be making a good example of their new legislation. People need to take this more seriously instead of thinking it's party time, and everything is going to be alright.

If more stuff like this happens it's going to wreck the legalization movement. I hope those dumbshits go to prison for a long time.
Lol, idiots.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Didn't they realize that what they were doing is the same as putting a roofie in someone's drink?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
The university is gonna **** these kids in the ass. They're gonna be expelled, then harshly convicted after school President Benson pulls his strings, and then, their cases are gonna be used as an example showing why weed is bad and why it should be illegal again so that the school can continue receiving federal funds.
Quote by Overlord
I am sure that when your stoned out of your mind that idea seems flawless
you're never as free as when you are lost
I don't know if it shows weed is inherently bad, but I think it does show America isn't mature enough to handle legalized marijuana responsibly and it should stay illegal for at least a few more decades.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
It's a pretty sad showing of maturity, definitely. It only takes a few idiots to ruin everything.

EDIT: I can't see them repealing the law after this though. Isolated incident, done by two morons. Clearly the majority of people are able to handle it.

It's just stupid.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Dec 10, 2012,
and when prohibition ended, a lot of prom night punch got spiked and fat, ugly chicks got laid.

this is stupid. but not worth overturning their new law as some i can see some knees jerking.

edit: if there was one time to be stoned though, it's definitely bring food to class day. too bad nobody brought anything else. i would've gotten a friend to pick me up and take me to taco bell to treat a severe onset of starvation.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Dec 10, 2012,
Quote by Weaponized
If they didnt inform people there was pot in the brownies, then **** em. Trippin without realizing your tripping ****ing sucks.

I had a friend slip me 3 tabs of acid once. Shit was really weird for the next 20 hours or so.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

"Anybody who thinks this is cute, anybody who thinks this was funny, is going to face pretty serious sanctions, both criminally and potentially within the student conduct process,"

I think it was pretty funny. Kinda cute for the chick.

Yeah, that's pretty stupid.

You know there was at least one person who smokes in the class who suddenly felt super high and sat there knowing it was the brownies and thinking about it for hours before grabbing a snack.

But how come nobody suspects the orange juice. MURRR?

Lol, the reporters asking questions sound like they got slipped some pot brownies, "So, uh, what kind of weed was it?"..."So do you like think they might have had some pot brownies and some like other brownies, and like by accident, like switched them? Cause that would've been a bummer man."..."but it's like I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes, man?"

EDIT: I'd like to see the kids' (parents') lawyers try to fight this considering they apparently don't have the brownies.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Dec 10, 2012,
Can you imagine if one of the other students or the instructor had died? What if someone was allergic to the THC, or had a severe stomach condition prior, etc?
Quote by Overlord
I find it pretty funny. I would never do a prank like that, but it's still funny that someone did. I'm curious to what penalty they're going to get for this
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
these guys are dumb, but who goes to the hospital for eating weed brownies?

noob drug user shit.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo

noob drug user shit.

but what if they had overdosed?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

if that happened, those kids had entirely too much marijuana to waste on a prank.

they probably went to the hospital because they didn't know what was happening. here's a list of things i've thought while i KNEW i was stoned:

- i'm having a heart attack.
- i'm dying of dehydration/starvation
- i think i killed someone
- i can't remember what just happened
- what was i saying?
- i always feel like somebody's watching me
- i'm having a heart attack
- i have no idea where i am and i need to call the police to come get me
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Dec 10, 2012,
Quote by bradulator

how many should we take? four?

no! i heard some kid died from four!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo

noob drug user shit.

Have you ever been really really stoned?

Imagine being like that, without knowing why. I'd probably go to the hospital too in that situation
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Carnivean
The university is gonna **** these kids in the ass. They're gonna be expelled, then harshly convicted after school President Benson pulls his strings, and then, their cases are gonna be used as an example showing why weed is bad and why it should be illegal again so that the school can continue receiving federal funds.

Yeah, I'm a student at CU right now, after 420 last year (it was a police state) I guarantee these kids are screwed, also under the provisions of amendment 64 it makes marijuana regulated like alcohol, in Colorado it used to be if you had weed regardless of age, it was a $50 fine, but now if you're under 21 you'll get hauled to detox and have to take $500 dollar drug and alcohol classes and get a few points against your license
But if you had been really, really stoned before, wouldn't you just enjoy the trip, except for the utter disbelief that your classmates, who probably talk to each other in class all the time and clearly are huge stoners, would be stupid enough to slip you some weed?

I just find it funny to think that at least one person figured out what was going on and just enjoyed it. I mean, not everybody went to the hospital???

And like I said...the orange juuuuuiiiiiccccce...MUUUUURRRRRRR????
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by mulefish
Have you ever been really really stoned?

Imagine being like that, without knowing why. I'd probably go to the hospital too in that situation

post was half serious.

i can understand why someone would go to the hospital if they unknowingly ate a weed brownie. (especially if they'd never been high before)

this is just annoying because we're gonna have to deal with knee jerk bullshit from anti pot people AND idiots who think this is ok.

funny thing about all the people who are going to point to this as an example of why weed should be illegal is that they fail to realize this could have happened anyway if Colorado hadn't legalized.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
this is just annoying because we're gonna have to deal with knee jerk bullshit from anti pot people AND idiots who think this is ok.

yep
RIP Gooze

cats
Page 1 of 4