Page 1 of 2
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Hi. This is my little discussion on Gibson, feel free to join.
I have been rather annoyed with Gibson wiping out every other company making a classic shaped V/Explorer with a Lawsuit, however when Dean build guitars in their shape with THEIR original Futura headstock design, they turn a blind eye.
Why am I annoyed by this?
I love the Explorer and Flying V shapes but do not trust Dean from what I have heard on here.
Why not buy Gibson or Epiphone?
Because their designs and specs do not appeal to me, yet I like discontinued (Lawsuit) guitars such as ESP explorers.

I hope there is someone who agrees with me, feel free to add your opinion.
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
160 IQ
So you don't like the original Explorer/V design, but you like the lawsuit copies which are the same design with a different name on the headstock?

Where's the point?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
Companies have to chase up any copyright infringement. If they don't, even a single case, they lose the rights to that subject. That's simply how copyright law works, in all sectors and in virtually every country.

It's not up to a company like Gibson to say "oh, these guys are just a small company, we'll let them off". If they knowingly let one company infringe on their property, every company can start doing it. Same for Fender, PRS, ESP, Ibanez, Carvin, Mayones, Dean... hell, Agile, Tokai, literally any and every company. If you want to maintain rights to your property then you have to take action against anyone that unlawfully uses it.

As far as the Futura headstock and Dean go, the headstocks are sufficiently different. Same reason ESP can make EC guitars and why there's a million companies making Strat-like guitars without being sued by Fender. If you change the design enough, it can be considered a whole new thing.

In fact the ESP Eclipse guitars ar a perfect example. There are models that are just different enough for them to make and sell in Japan, but not in Europe or North America and Canada. Then there are others which are changed a little more again to be sold in the EU, but still not America. Then there ar a whole bunch more of ECs which are changed yet again, so they can be sold in America without infringing on Gibson's patents. Hence, Japan has ECs with full thickness bodies, trapezoid inlays and four controls while America can't get all three features in one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
jkielq91
Tab Contributor
331 IQ
Business is business. If Gibson let other companies copy their designs their business will never last.

Deans designs are unique enough to be seen as original.

Making a guitar unique can be as simple as adjusting a few angels a little.

But guitars like you want do exist. You just need to look for longer.

Flying V - Schecter, DBZ, boutique brands, hammer.

Explorer - Ibanez, Epiphone prophercy and artist signatures, Hammer, boutique brands.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Dec 11, 2012,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
/thread.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Quote by JesusCrisp
So you don't like the original Explorer/V design, but you like the lawsuit copies which are the same design with a different name on the headstock?

Where's the point?

*Facepalm* xD
I love the original design and the lawsuit copies. I'm annoyed at the way Gibson go and lawsuit but when Dean use Gibson's patented design, they turn a blind eye.

Quote by Mephaphil
/thread

Meaning?...

Quote by jkielq9
Business is business. If Gibson let other companies copy their designs their business will never last.

Deans designs are unique enough to be seen as original.

Making a guitar unique can be as simple as adjusting a few angels a little.

But guitars like you want do exist. You just need to look for longer.

Flying V - Schecter, DBZ, boutique brands, hammer.

Explorer - Ibanez, Epiphone prophercy and artist signatures, Hammer, boutique brands.

Flying V - DBZ aren't making the original shape and Hamer shut down
Explorer - Didn't Ibanez discontinue the Destroyer? (As I said, Epiphone don't appeal to me) and as I said about Hamer before. Kaput.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Last edited by Boonnoo666 at Dec 11, 2012,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666
*Facepalm* xD
I love the original design and the lawsuit copies. I'm annoyed at the way Gibson go and lawsuit but when Dean use Gibson's patented design, they turn a blind eye.

The point is; Its not a patented design otherwise they'd take them to court straight away. It's about protecting intellectual property. The Dean design is different enough due to headstock etc to be considered unique.

Why would Gibson turn a blind eye to Dean?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666

Meaning?...

Meaning you asked a question that wasn't properly researched as the answer is quite obvious.

There's no conspiracy. The company that invented the design need to protect their design or they'll lose the rights to it and eventually lose their brand recognition for said designs.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
The point is; Its not a patented design otherwise they'd take them to court straight away. It's about protecting intellectual property. The Dean design is different enough due to headstock etc to be considered unique.

Why would Gibson turn a blind eye to Dean?

I have no idea. Here's the patent.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Gibson_Explorer_patent.png

And I was asking what the meaning of "/thread" was.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Last edited by Boonnoo666 at Dec 11, 2012,
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666
*Facepalm* xD

If somebody made money off what you designed yourself, you would sue them too.

Also, the reason Gibson doesn't sue Dean is because the headstock design isn't the same.
Quote by Boonnoo666

It means that the thread topic is over because you have your answer.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2012,
digman50
Can't you hear me knockin
40 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666

That's a Futura not an Explorer
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666

Ah lol. It means I thought that the thread was won.

It's a memetic type thing related to html. /win /thread etc. The backslash represents... erm.. The end of something... When you enter italics or bold or a table into code and you end the current command you use a backslash.

The easiest way to get it is probably to learn html lol.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 11, 2012,
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If somebody made money off what you designed yourself, you would sue them too.

Also, the reason Gibson doesn't sue Dean is because the headstock design isn't the same.

Okay, that's true. Tbf this thread wasn't really about criticising Gibson as some may have interpreted. It was just me getting annoyed. Happens a lot because I'm an Aspie.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666
Okay, that's true. Tbf this thread wasn't really about criticising Gibson as some may have interpreted. It was just me getting annoyed. Happens a lot because I'm an Aspie.

The title of the thread makes that clear.
Quote by Axelfox
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666

My turn. What's an Aspie? Something to do with Aspen? And why would that make you annoyed?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
My turn. What's an Aspie? Something to do with Aspen? And why would that make you annoyed?

Aspie is a nick-name for people with Asperger's Syndrome (EG: Me). It's a form of Autism, look it up on the interwebz.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666
Aspie is a nick-name for people with Asperger's Syndrome (EG: Me). It's a form of Autism, look it up on the interwebz.

Ah Ok. I'm aware of Aspergers Syndrome.

I thought maybe it had something to do with a guitar company based near Aspen... /doh. My mistake lol, sorry.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
I forsee this thread being closed in the near future... For some odd reason..

Anyhow, Why not buy Gibson or Epiphone?

Because there's variety and each company making a V model does it differntly, differnt strokes for different folks.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995
I forsee this thread being closed in the near future... For some odd reason..

Anyhow, Why not buy Gibson or Epiphone?

Because there's variety and each company making a V model does it differntly, differnt strokes for different folks.

People generally hate the man. If it's deserved and often it is then fine, but Fender and Gibson have given people the ability to create some of the greatest works of art known to man. They haven't done anything that bad to be regarded in such a way when compared to many other companies. Plus a large amount of their products are made in America where you have better labour conditions. I can't speak for their Mexican made or Squier or Epiphone affiliated products. I'm not naive enough to think they get paid the same and if not, improvements should be made.

Leo Fender and Lester Paul are two people I admire(d) greatly. Sure, the crazy people who run the company do some weird stuff sometimes (LP SG?) but again, the quality of these products are up there with some of the best.

You play a US Standard or a LP Standard/Traditional and it just screams quality. Are they over priced? Possibly. But you're owning a price of history in a way. You can get products similar cheaper, but they ain't the same. Maybe it doesn't justify the price difference but that's subjective.

My LP is the best guitar I've played. Ever. I played Standards, Traditional Pros, PRS, and that one was the best. It was cheaper after I haggled and it was totally worth the money.

Satisfaction is the only thing that matters. I'm satisfied
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 11, 2012,
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Gibsons are expensive guitars, but i really like them because they build their guitars in a way that is very faithful to traditional construction methods and to me, that is an appeal. Each guitar is truly unique and when you find the one that you really like, you just cannot beat them.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2012,
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Satisfaction is all that matters and I totally agree.

Fender and Gibson both have overpriced guitars, although I prefer Fender to Gibson.

Again, different strokes for different folks. I prefer Jackson Rhoads style Vs to Gibson Vs, and Charvel Strats/Superstrats to Fender.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
I wouldn't even call Gibson and Fender overpriced.
Quote by Axelfox
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
30 grand for a guitar is a little overpriced in my opinion. (Gibson)

There are some guitars with enormous price tags that can't justify it.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
580 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995
30 grand for a guitar is a little overpriced in my opinion. (Gibson)

There are some guitars with enormous price tags that can't justify it.

Because they all cost $30k... Gibson also have some of the best value guitars on the market.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
130 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
Same reason ESP can make EC guitars and why there's a million companies making Strat-like guitars without being sued by Fender. If you change the design enough, it can be considered a whole new thing.

Actually, Fender did sue a number of companies for producing SLOs (Strat-Like Objects). The court recently ruled against them, saying that the Strat body design wasn't sufficiently distinctive to warrant a copyright.

As for the Dean / Gibson headstock question, Gibson offered the "V" headstock for only a short period of time, and they've argued in other lawsuits that the "moustache" headstock is the headstock trademark for whcih the company is famous, so they couldn't win a lawsuit against Dean. But you are absolutely right: if a company allows one other manufacturer to copy and sell their design without challenge, then they have all but lost any chance to protect that particular design.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
Because they all cost $30k... Gibson also have some of the best value guitars on the market.

I didn't say that, nor did I mean for it to come off that way.

They do have some pretty great value guitars. But again, they do have guitars that are really overpriced.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

griffin888
20 IQ
A product is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I don't even really care for Gibsons, but that's besides the point. Fact is they sell at the prices you call overpriced.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
The 30k guitars are for rich hardcore collectors who have the money to spend on a guitar and handwired amp combo thats going to get played every year once. On Christmas. Or New years. Or even never.

Ive played a lot of gibsons. And the more expensive ones do often times feel more solid than the cheap ones. But compare a studio to just about any guitar in the price range. Yea, you dont get the fancy binding. You dont get the fancy coil taps all the time. But what you do get is a workhorse of a guitar thats going to last you a lifetime and will sound great for years to come.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
160 IQ
Quote by Charvel1995
I didn't say that, nor did I mean for it to come off that way.

They do have some pretty great value guitars. But again, they do have guitars that I can't afford or justify buying and therefore call overpriced.

fixed.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by nickdohle
The 30k guitars are for rich hardcore collectors who have the money to spend on a guitar and handwired amp combo thats going to get played every year once. On Christmas. Or New years. Or even never.

Ive played a lot of gibsons. And the more expensive ones do often times feel more solid than the cheap ones. But compare a studio to just about any guitar in the price range. Yea, you dont get the fancy binding. You dont get the fancy coil taps all the time. But what you do get is a workhorse of a guitar thats going to last you a lifetime and will sound great for years to come.

I had a Studio, a good one. Then I played a bunch of Standards and Traditional. I noticed I quality difference.

But you're right. Great workhorse guitar.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

resum
111 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Ah lol. It means I thought that the thread was won.

It's a memetic type thing related to html. /win /thread etc. The backslash represents... erm.. The end of something... When you enter italics or bold or a table into code and you end the current command you use a backslash.

The easiest way to get it is probably to learn html lol.

/ != backslash
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Quote by resum
/ != backslash

Okay!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Doogy-Style
Guitar Noob
110 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
Companies have to chase up any copyright infringement. If they don't, even a single case, they lose the rights to that subject. That's simply how copyright law works, in all sectors and in virtually every country.

It's not up to a company like Gibson to say "oh, these guys are just a small company, we'll let them off". If they knowingly let one company infringe on their property, every company can start doing it. Same for Fender, PRS, ESP, Ibanez, Carvin, Mayones, Dean... hell, Agile, Tokai, literally any and every company. If you want to maintain rights to your property then you have to take action against anyone that unlawfully uses it.

Are you sure about you're saying there ? I just got out of my copyright law exam, and it seems to me that you are wrong on that matter...
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
zl1288
10 IQ
Quote by Doogy-Style
Are you sure about you're saying there ? I just got out of my copyright law exam, and it seems to me that you are wrong on that matter...

You are correct, "Use it or lose it" with copyrights is a myth. He may have been getting confused with trademarks.

Quote by griffin888
A product is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I don't even really care for Gibsons, but that's besides the point. Fact is they sell at the prices you call overpriced.

A point many seem to overlook!

As for Gibson's use of lawsuits, I have absolutely no problem with it. If anything, I feel like there is a lot of leniency given to guitar makers (Look at all the strat/LP type guitars out there).
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Boonnoo666
I have been rather annoyed with Gibson wiping out every other company making a classic shaped V/Explorer with a Lawsuit

can you cite the lawsuit(s) you speak of?

"threats" of lawsuits and lawsuits are vastly different things.

kthxbai.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪
60 IQ
Quote by Doogy-Style
He is wrong but pointing it out to him typically makes it worse for all of us..
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
can you cite the lawsuit(s) you speak of?

"threats" of lawsuits and lawsuits are vastly different things.

kthxbai.

I don't know of Lawsuit threats but for example there's ESP, I believe Jackson used the Explorer and Flying V shapes. So did Ibanez.
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
130 IQ
Quote by Doogy-Style

Correct. Designs are trademarked; written things (including music, which is recorded for copyright on paper) are copyrighted. Guitar companies sue knock-off manufacturers over certain design elements that are either trademarked, or those that they believe should be trademarked, as Fender did recently with the Stratocaster body design. Part of the problem with the law is that is is often very difficult to get a trademark registered, whereas with copyright, you just have to create the written material and you have copyright (you had still better register it, though).
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
Yes, fair enough, got copyright and trademark the wrong way around. Shoot me.

Quote by Boonnoo666
Quote by Boonnoo666

Not wanting to get particularly off-topic here, but please do not use that term. It's also technically incorrect to say it is a ''form'' of autism. I'm not going to start a massive lecture on the subject here, just suffice to say I've spent far too many hours and years with children diagnosed with Asperger's and their families - not to mention, myself - to let that slide. You do not say 'Aspie'. Just don't.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
Well it's recognised to be on the Autistic Spectrum by pretty much every western neurological and psychiatric body going. It is regarded as a ASD by most health care organisations and some are only just slowly moving away from it while others are not.

Besides, it's not a negative thing. Unless for some reason you find it to be. There's a lot of evidence to suggest it IS a ASD, with less to suggest its not. But the research for the 'not' isn't that old. Still, it's still regarded by lots of people to be ASD, so it's a matter of opinion right now.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/autism-and-asperger-syndrome-an-introduction/what-is-asperger-syndrome.aspx

I'm aware that some people view Aspergers as a variation of normal as opposed to an ASD but it's an opinion, and they both have evidence based research to back them up.

If someone with Aspergers wants to refer to a condition that might have dominated their life in largely a negative way in an informal way, then that's up to them. I'm not aware of any negative connotations of the term he used. It's not a term I'm aware of and I'm very much aware of ASDs and Aspergers. If there is something I should know about the term I'm interested to know.

Perhaps this discussion is suited to another sub forum, but I couldn't resist. It's kinda linked indirectly to my job and directly to my personal life.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 12, 2012,
Page 1 of 2