GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
So basically I'm in a position where I have no musicians around to start a band with, except for a bassist in a similar position. I desperately feel that I will grow as a musician if I worked with others, however I'm quite isolated. I would do an online band, but I am short on funds and cannot afford any decent recording gear. Also, online band = no gigs, which is something that I also want to be able to do. Any advice would be helpful.
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Buy a keytar.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
If you really want it, move. Or search em out. I highly doubt you are the only person that plays an instrument in your area.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
As much as I would love to, I'm quite broke to be honest.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
Ok, perhaps not the only, but the only one interested in anything relatively heavy besides the bassist.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Maybe you should expand your music tastes.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
Trust me, I have a wide music taste. I'm talking about I want a decent hard rock/metal band. All anyone plays around my area is acoustic and blues.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
By the way, I am working with the bassist to start up some jam sessions by ourselves, so I'm not 100% sure anything will come from that.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I have an awesome idea for a fully functioning live solo project but I'm not going to share it with anyone lest I want to do it at one point. >>
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Quote by AxeToFall
Craigslist

+1

Sell you body on craigslist and use the proceeds to buy that keytar.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by GruuvMetuhlr
Trust me, I have a wide music taste. I'm talking about I want a decent hard rock/metal band. All anyone plays around my area is acoustic and blues.

Ok, so try this.

It costs less than $500 to get started recording. (Check here and here in the recordings forum. Talk to the regulars, if you've any questions. Most of them pop up a time or two in either the Recordings Chat Thread [aka "Llama Thread"] or if you make your own thread.) Use a virtual drum simulator (SSD4, which is a studio quality drum sim, costs $40 for the basic [aka "custom"] sets). If you can't save up at least some of that holiday cash, then you're just not doing it right.

Meet with the bassist. Write and/or practice some songs. You and him/her record stuff. Listen to your recordings and evaluate them. Look at each other and say, "We could have done this part at 1.35 [for example] better" or "We really need to hit harder at 5.75". And so on. Start writing, playing, and recording music. When you get some quality stuff, go ahead & throw it up on bandcamp or facebook or whatever.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 12, 2012,
AxeToFall
Dazed Glonuts
30 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
+1

Sell you body on craigslist and use the proceeds to buy that keytar.

This guy gets it
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
That's actually not a bad idea^^. Thanks for the advice.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
A two piece without a rhythm doesn't sound like a good idea.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
I actually do play drums fairly well, but then I'm stuck in a drummer+bassist setup. Then I will need all the mics to record the drums, etc.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
Well, it appears that is all of the advice I'm going to get, so thanks anyways.
babysmasher
unwell
117 IQ
almost anybody can drum out a beat.. Buy a cajon and play some acoustic shows with someone
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by GruuvMetuhlr
Ok, perhaps not the only, but the only one interested in anything relatively heavy besides the bassist.

So do something with the bassist and a drum machine.
slash_GNR666
Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan!
374 IQ
Remember the key ingredient for a band

FFFFFFSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
895 IQ
Quote by slash_GNR666
Remember the key ingredient for a band

FFFFFFSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Steak?

That sounds like a sizzling Steak on a nice hot plate.

It's Steak isn't it?

Steak.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
Why would I pay money for something that I don't want to do in the first place? If I wanted to play acoustic sets then I would and this thread wouldn't of been created.
metacarpi
Too old for this ****
895 IQ
Quote by GruuvMetuhlr
Why would I pay money for something that I don't want to do in the first place? If I wanted to play acoustic sets then I would and this thread wouldn't of been created.

Why would you waste time pissing and moaning in the pit? If you wanted to do it you'd be out there hunting folks down.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Musicforyou17
I get bored
123 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
crazysam's post

This post is pretty awesome and useful. I am in a similar position and this helps me out a lot. Have a golfclap,
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
metacarpi: thats why i'm asking for advice to go about it.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
So it turns out that the bassist I was planning on working with had his bass stolen. Fantastic.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
Quote by GruuvMetuhlr

I don't know. If you wanted to play rock, I don't see how it's possible to have a "wide music taste" but not be able to collaborate with blues musicians.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
GruuvMetuhlr
Take me to your Dealer
50 IQ
Listening to music and playing music are two separate things, my friend. I like to listen to a lot of different kinds of genres, but I only play a few.