W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
There isn't much of a difference. One guitar has a tremolo bridge and middle pickup, so if you want those things, get that guitar.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
1,873 IQ
I had GRG170DX about a year ago and it was okay for the money. The bridge has a tendency to go out of tune it you do enough divebombs and that sort of thing. The pickups are kind of meh, and the neck one mine was chunkier than any other neck I've played.

Do you have your heart set on Ibanez? If you shop used you could probably get something of equal or better quality for a better price.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
t1mman
411 IQ
You can get an RG321 for around thoses prices if you look around!
miio
234 IQ
I've played a GRG121, which is the same as grgR121, but with a normal headstock, instead of a reversed one. It played well and is good guitar for it's price. Since I have no experience with the 170DX I can only recommend the 121. If you don't need tremolo, don't get one. It's not gonna hold it's tuning very well I suspect and you'd end up blocking it probably.
lamb of dog
Satan's noisy neighbour
613 IQ
What kind of music do you want to play?

The grg 170dx is a really good guitar, it is one of the best in the gio series without a doubt, the trem is what u'll expext from a $200 guitar, if u want to play metal on this guitar u wont be disappointed, neither from a tone perspective nor will have any playability issue(the neck is liitle thick for my liking, i dont know if they have changed the neck profile in recent times).
Welcome! Now do yourself a favor and run away. Run as far away from gear forums as is humaly possible! If you follow this advice, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about the guy who saved you from yourself.

Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Go used or maybe wait for a sale and get an RG321.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
futuretense
122 IQ
Hi,thank you for the many answers.

@Charvel1995 I don't want to buy a used guitar because I can't be sure if its condition will be so good as the seller describes..I don't have set my heart particularly in ibanez,I've searched many other guitar models over the net but I chose these 2 ibanez because I think they are among the best in their price.That's what I understood anyway by reading reviews,watching videos on youtube etc
About tremolo,I don't care for it all.I mean,I don't intend to use it because strings will get out of tune..I've a question though...If somebody doesn't use his guitar's tremolo at all, will there be still problems with tune or does this happen ONLY when you use it?
@lamb of god..ehh..sorry lamb of dog Metal and hard rock I will try to play these genres anyway

In conclusion,should I buy ibanez grgr121 since it's without tremolo and has no big difference to ibanez grg17dx?
Last edited by futuretense at Dec 12, 2012,
lamb of dog
Satan's noisy neighbour
613 IQ
Quote by futuretense

About tremolo,I don't care for it all.I mean,I don't intend to use it because strings will get out of tune..I've a question though...If somebody doesn't use his guitar's tremolo at all, will there be still problems with tune or does this happen ONLY when you use it?

it will not go out of tune on its own it can handle a "little" bit of abuse(its not that bad).

If you have some money coming ur way in the near future, then it would make sense to save up for the rg321. If not dont worry the 170 wont let u down.
Welcome! Now do yourself a favor and run away. Run as far away from gear forums as is humaly possible! If you follow this advice, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about the guy who saved you from yourself.

Last edited by lamb of dog at Dec 12, 2012,