Hey guys, I'm new here so please be kind

I used to play guitar when I was younger, I played for about ~8 years but only sort of picked it up once a week (I learnt classical guitar at school) but I eventually got an electric (a shitty ibanez GIO from china) which I reallly enjoyed. However I had highschool and study and shit and I sort of gave it up as I had less time on my hands. Now I'm looking to get back into it and I need to pick up some new gear since my old stuff was given away.

I know the general advice is play on everything and see what you like best. I do agree with this 100%, but I'm more just looking at what direction I should be looking at and what gear is in my price range. My budget is about ~$1.5k AUD all up (could possibly stretch it to 2k if there is somewhat of a huge jump in gear quality or something for a few extra dollars)

I play a bit of everything, from jazz to metal to blues to rock. I probably perfer guitars that have a good metal sound though. My preference for brand is probably jackson or ESP.

So basically my question is, what are my options? I know amp is a lot more important for sound, but also I should note half the time I'm messing around on my guitar it will probably be on Amps at work (I work at a nightclub and the sound/lighting tech is a total bro) where we have concert grade gear.

So with all that in mind, what do you guys recommend? I appreciate any help or direction you guys want to point me in.
I have NO idea about Australian prices go (I heard they're pretty brutal...) But a Jackson X series and a Peavey 6505 would be lovely.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Is the whole budget for a guitar/amp/effects or is it just the guitar? If it's both, I'd look into an Ibanez S series guitar or an ltd m-mh guitar, then find an amp.

We could give you better suggestions if you could describe what you want more. Any guitar can have a 'good metal sound'. Do you want a floyd rose? Do pickups matter (active/passive, and I'm assuming you'd want humbuckers)? Any body shape, or something similar to your gio?

Since you have access to amps at work, would you just want something like a pod for your house?(hooks up to your computer, or you can just use headphones)
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
Thanks for the fast responces guys. In terms of pickup arrangements, I'm not too fussed but if possible I would like a H/S/S since that's kind of what I'm in to. That being said, I'm completely fine with 2 humbuckers aswell.

And yes, Ideally my budget is for guitar/amp aswell. But like I said, if I have to skimp I would rather skimp on the amp since I'll only be playing it at home not at work (I hang out after work for about 3-4 hours every night with my friends anyway)
Consider these quality instruments:

Fret-King Super Hybrid: a HSH guitar that, unusually, does not have a tremolo.

Godin Velocity or Progression Boutique: both are HSS, but the Velocity is the higher-end guitar. It was discontinued in 2011, but new ones are still available, and pristine used ones can be had for $450 USD.

Godin Freeway: HSH with trem

Fernandes Ravelle, Dragonfly or Revolver: all HH guitars with slightly different features, aesthetics and ergonomics. Available with a sustainer.

DBZ: most of their line is HH, and Dean Z likes to design guitars with the shredder in mind.

Malden Bad Karma: a HH LP-style guitar with (as I recall) independently splittable coils.

Reverend Double Agent: bridge HB and a P90 in the neck, korina body

Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig II: korina body, 2 Railhammer Chisel pickups
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
On the amp front, if you must skimp, skimp on power, not quality.

Given you want to play metal, rock, my first instinct would be a small Orange combo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Hey guys, been doing a bit of a look around at a few local stores and I'm thinking about getting a Peavey Vypyr and an ESP ltd M-300FM (love the feel of it). Anything inherently wrong with this set up? my only other question is, what size amp should I get? 30 or 75?
30w should cover everything from bedroom to small gigs with no problems.

alhaq369
Hey guys, small update since I didn't want to make another thread about this topic. I've already bought the vypyr 30w which I LOVE (thanks for the recommendation) and I'm just messing around on it with my brothers' GIO. I still havn't gotten a guitar yet as I was looking at the M-300FM which was very appealing but I'm starting to think maybe I should invest a little more $$ in and get something that will last me longer in the long run. I'm thinking about possibly trying to pick up an ESP Eclipse 2 2nd hand (there are a few in my area) which will cost me ~$1400 (the M-300FM is ~$900 in my area new). Do you think this would be smarter in the long run? Or am I looking at things out of my league? To be honest I would rather just get one GOOD guitar and spend the next few years upgrading my amps, ect.

please offer some insight! much appriciated