dmheath66
21 IQ
Hey guys. Just wanted to post this (see link at bottom) and make sure my thinking is correct. I'm like 99% sure this is a fake. I question it mainly because I'm no expert. Since I have been interested in buying one of these for a while now, I think I know all of the features and details well enough to make that call. This one has some extremely obvious flaws:

1. Black pickups in stead of zebra
2. Incorrect knobs
3. White cover plates on back instead of black
4. Serial number printed on a sticker
5. 3 of the tuners aren't Wilkinsons
6. Incorrect case
7. Not a bit of the candy

There may be others, but those are the most obvious to me. From what I think I know, the serial number on a sticker pretty much says it all. But, seeing as how this is being sold as seller refurbished, pickups or any of those other bolt-on items could have been changed. Why they would be is beyond me. The worst part is he isn't exactly selling it cheap. From what I've seen the real ones have been getting $1000+, but I've seen a couple go for $800-$900 lately. I hated to pass them up, but still can't justify the money yet.

So, in an effort to educate myself further and help anybody else interested in these guitars and possibly picking one up off of Ebay, I would appreciate opinions/comments on this one in particular. You might take a look at some of his other items. The one Epiphone LP Std he is selling I would be willing to bet is a fake. All of the ones I looked at are "seller refurbished"

What gets me, especially in this case, if I were going to make a replica of something and try to pawn it off as the real deal, I would capture as much detail as possible. Especially with the easy bolt-on items. They can get the stickers and Slash logo correct but not the rest?

Fake Epi Slash Appetite on Ebay

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Dave
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team
12 IQ
It IS legit,

but it is a 'refurbished' model.....

you can see it by the serial sticker, starting with 311.....

and it's too expensive, IMO
Last edited by paruwi at Dec 12, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
I wouldn't spend that money on an Epi. especially one you are unsure of being real
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
792 IQ
Who's gonna bother faking an Epi?

I own a refurbised Ibanez and the serial number is a sticker. It also has the word "used" stamped on the back of the headstock.
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team
12 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy

I own a refurbised Ibanez and the serial number is a sticker. It also has the word "used" stamped on the back of the headstock.

Welcome to the real world....

Ebay is full with faked Epis, especially the Slash, ZW and other Customs....

too bad if you can't spot them...
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
792 IQ
Quote by paruwi
Welcome to the real world....

Ebay is full with faked Epis, especially the Slash, ZW and other Customs....

too bad if you can't spot them...

Interesting, I haven't really been looking at them.

What to people do, buy lower-end Epis and try to add all the custom stuff to them?
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team
12 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy
Interesting, I haven't really been looking at them.

What to people do, buy lower-end Epis and try to add all the custom stuff to them?

There are factories in the far east producing them to scam the clueless Kids or their parents when buying their first ZW or Slash signature for 300 USD....
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
Quote by Huge Guy

That's exactly why people fake them. Because they claim to be Epiphone's, people tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
dmheath66
21 IQ
The thing that strikes me as odd is the finish and body, neck, headstock, etc. look legit. That AAA flame top with that shade of amber is pretty unique to the slash model as far as I know. Personally, I love that finish and is one of the reasons I want one. As far as I'm concerned, by changing some of the things they did, they ruined the guitar for what it is, or is supposed to be. Even so, maybe at a lower price it may be worth it, but not at that price. That's just me.

I appreciate the responses.

Dave