Page 1 of 2
I have 6 guitars and my parents want me to sell 5. They dont understand that each guitar has a purpose and one person cant have just 1. How many would be enough?
My guitars are used for:
Standard electric
Half step Electric
Standard Acoustic
Half Step Acoustic
4 String Bass
7 String Guitar
Are they all of high quality?

One good guitar is always better than lots of crap ones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Also to answer your question, if its gets to a point where the number of guitars or your outlay on musical gear starts to affect how much cash you have to spend on living, so stuff like food or rent.

Then its probably time to consider selling a few.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sometimes downsizing is inevitable. At one time I had 5, had to sell 'em all(food and shelter), and now I'm back to having 2. Figure out which one(s) mean the most to you or are the most versatile and start from there.

But from a purely philosophical view, unless you own every guitar on Earth, you can never have too many.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
"Enough" is subjective. Electric and acoustic is a good distinction. Having a bass isn't that unusual.

While I wouldn't bother keeping separate guitars for just a half-step tuning difference, I would- and do- keep separate guitars for more radical tuning differences.

For instance, my main 2 tunings are Standard (EADGBE) and New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG), and have at least one acoustic, one solidbody electric and one hollowbody electric tuned to each. I've yet to buy a semihollow or solidbody w/trem for NST. My electrics also have different pickup configurations, so deliver different sounds. Over time, I'll fill in gaps. And add 12 strings along the way.

Also over time, I'll delve into DADGAD and Open G tuning as well...but I probably won't add another bass, or go for much in the way of 7 or 8+ string guitars.

All that said, though, beyond making a good, articulate case for yourself, their house, their rules. Explain to them that making frequent tuning adjustments can lead to excessive wear & tear, and unless you know how to do all the right adjustments, might demand more frequent trips to the guitar tech or repairman- multiple guitars dedicated to different tunings is, in that sense, not just convenient, but also economical.

Why do they want you to cull your collection?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I think that if I had 50 guitars, I could have enough. More would be for fun or collection
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Whatever is necessary plus one.

Then you define what is necessary. Personally, I would never have a six-string guitar in standard ever again, and I would never have a seven-string in standard if it had a fixed bridge. That would be unnecessary; that's already taken care of by my eight-string. I wouldn't have two guitars separated by only a semitone in tuning, honestly...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Tom 1.0

agreed- unless you need several for different tunings, different tones or to have a spare for gigging. and even then, I'd say that only applies if the quality if up to at least "good". Like, if you have a good reason for needing more than one guitar, then 3 good guitars might be more useful than one great one, but I wouldn't take 3 crap guitars over one good one.

and yeah, if it's starting to impact on your normal living standards then maybe it's a problem. if it's not though, the question is phrased incorrectly . it's not "how many is too many?", it's "How many guitars are enough?", to which the answer is "Just one more"
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I don't own more than I constantly play. I've got my two G&L's, my Taylor, my Deering, my Washburn, and my Fender. Two electrics, one acoustic, one banjo, one mandolin, and one electric bass.

I don't really think I'd want to add any more. Trade, however, now that's a different story.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Got three, getting two + a body more tomorrow. Probably gonna get rid of a few after christmas. Maybe trade for a bass.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not "how many is too many?", it's "How many guitars are enough?", to which the answer is "Just one more"

^^

Up to #8 myself. Love to track down an Ibanez S5470bw still. That's probably the only one that would interest me at this point. Or one of those 7 strings with the evertune bridge. Uhh oh!
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Have 1 with a floyd that you keep in a certain tuning, 1 with a hardtail and regular gauge strings that you can tune into anything, a bass and an acoustic. That's 4 and that's my max.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
OP i'll bet your mother has more than one pair of shoes. try that as an analogy and see if that helps. i have 3 electrics, 1 acoustic and a bass. do i need more probably not but if a great deal comes my way i doubt i'll say no because i have to many.
how many guitars is really a subjective question. It depends what you like to do and the styles of music you play. As long as your guitars aren't interfering with her why should she care?

I would be totally be able to get by with maybe like a Les Paul a Marshall, Fender, and a solid acoustic. That doesn't mean I won't want other arrows in my quiver however. Its good to take a minimalist perspective sometimes but its also fun to have a bunch of shit. Depend on the person I guess.
Quote by Dayn
Whatever is necessary plus one.

Then you define what is necessary. Personally, I would never have a six-string guitar in standard ever again, and I would never have a seven-string in standard if it had a fixed bridge. That would be unnecessary; that's already taken care of by my eight-string. I wouldn't have two guitars separated by only a semitone in tuning, honestly...

Well that's not entirely true. I'm assuming your 8 string has a baritone neck and humbuckers, which means a tele or strat - heck, even a les paul - would sound very different.

Not to mention that in my experience, sometimes songs just sound nicer and warmer when played on a normal scale, and to be perfectly honest, I still would like to have a 7-string for the sole reason that it's a different feeling and gives me different ideas when writing. I mean, I don't NEED one, because I can always just take of the low F# string on the 8, but it'd not be completely redundant to have one.
I have a:
Tele
Roads
Charvel Strat
Acoustic

Theres more I'd like to get too. I like having all my bases covered, which I more or less do. I keep The Tele in Eb/Drop D, Rhoads in C#G#C#F#A#D#/CGCFAD, and the Charvel in Standard. I still wouldn't mind a 7 or 8 though. There's nothing wrong with more than a few guitars. Hell I would love to have 30 guitars just for fun.

Enough is when I can't afford to pay rent and bills.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
There is no such thing as too many guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There is no such thing as too many guitars.

I currently have 5, which ok i know isn't a lot but i'm considering another shortly. Only problem is since i got my horizon back in the summer i've been a little spoilt. Other things outside of the price bracket of that thing don't feel like they compare so meh, maybe i should wait a while till i can blow another big chunk on a guitar of similar quality.

Buy yeah the short version is I agree, there is no such thing as too many.
I don't have a problem having multiple guitars, though all mine are different. I have one single coil, one HSH, one with EMG's, and a bass.

No point in having a ton with all the same/similar hardware.
I think I hit 12 at one point, plus other stringed instruments. That was when I started to realize that too I didn't enjoy owning so many guitars as much as I enjoyed buying them.

I've actually sold some of my collection, and I'm down to a 8 guitars and a banjo, a bass, and a mandolin.
I have 10 myself, and there are more I want. There is never too many.
I'm some where around 25ish

Never too many
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Asking people on UG how many guitars is too many is like asking a group of alcoholics how many beers is too many.

I mean that in the best way possible.
It could be- I don't see any price tags anywhere.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Never too many. I would want one in every tuning from B-E, including all open tunings, in 6, 7, including 12 strings, one set of all these in acoustic, and electric, then hollow body, and with all these copies of each with different pickups and wood on the body and board, then more copies with and without tremolo bars, whammy bars, and bridges without either bars.
Wood affects tone due to the engorgment of the corpus cavernosum.
I cant help it. I masturbate so fast my hands go back in time and type all sorts of crazy shit.
Goth is the theatrical element without being a whiny little emo bitch.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Well that's not entirely true. I'm assuming your 8 string has a baritone neck and humbuckers, which means a tele or strat - heck, even a les paul - would sound very different.

Not to mention that in my experience, sometimes songs just sound nicer and warmer when played on a normal scale, and to be perfectly honest, I still would like to have a 7-string for the sole reason that it's a different feeling and gives me different ideas when writing. I mean, I don't NEED one, because I can always just take of the low F# string on the 8, but it'd not be completely redundant to have one.
Depends on the setup. Mine is pretty versatile, so that's nothing a bit of EQ and tweaking can't fix... assuming I want that sound. The rest comes down to playability, which is why I opt for longer scales now.

Beyond that, I think it just comes down to personal preference. Having a different instrument in my hands with the same tuning I'm used to just does nothing for me. I just think "oh great, I had an idea but the range limited me..." or I'd just play it on my own guitar. Now if I was given an instrument in a different tuning... that's where I start having different ideas! It's something new and exciting that I can't otherwise play with. Even going A-C# on my lowest strings instead of my usual B-E brings out a wealth of ideas. I find a ukelele more interesting than a Les Paul in standard tuning.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Depends on how diverse your taste in music-playing is. I play a lot of styles, so I have a singe-coil strat a jackson rhoads for rock and and an SG in drop C tuning for tje heavier stuff.
Then there is a steel string and a nylon string accoustic.

As long as I still use all of them regularly is see no reason to get rid of them just for the fact that is is "to many" guitars.

There are so many differences in guitars to get different sound. Singe coil, P90, humbucker, solid/hollow, guitar/base, electric, accoustic, string through, floid, bigsby And all combinations of those ofcourse.

I would say that owning 8 guitars all with EMG's and a floyd is not necessary, there is not that much difference in sound. So if you have a good reason to have a specific guitar I wouldn't get rid of it, just to get rid of a guitar.
If you use all the guitars you own, you're fine.
I personally own a guitar for standard tuning, one for alternate tunings, and one for backup.
I've needed the backup numerous times due to string breakage during gigs.

Also, find out why your parents want you to sell your guitars. Explain that you disagree with them, bring up a valid reason. If your parents don't see the purpose in owning different guitars for different tunings, bring up the tool analogy below. Explain that each guitar sounds different and as such will be useful in a different song.

Parents want to hear well-thought-out reasons for anything their child does. That's what they're parents for.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Dec 14, 2012,
Your parents sound like my dad. "Whats the difference between your Marshall (Valvestate) And this one(JCM DSL)? Why is this one so much better?" Trying to get him to understand that tube amps (a dead audio technology in his opinion) are better was very hard. Luckily it worked out.

Just let them know its for a purpose. Theyre tools of your trade. The shoe analogy was great for your mother. Does your father have any tools? That would be one for him. Why does he have a phillips and a flat head screwdriver? Why does he have 15 ratchets instead of one?

Parents are parents. And remember you are there kid. Dont fight them or argue with them about keeping them. Calmly explain theyre important to you and if they sell them they are inhibiting your creativity as a person as well as a musician. That argument almost worked for mine. haha
Compare them to automobiles.

You can't carry a half-ton of dirt in an econobox, you can't win an Indy car race with a pickup truck, and a sportscar can take the starting lineup of your basketball team for hit dogs & sodas.

alhaq369
I've been playing guitar for more than 40 years and have owned probably more than 100 guitars (not all at the same time). I've never owned or even saw a "half-step guitar." What is that??? Does that mean that it is tuned a half-step down?

I currently have 20 or so guitars. I don't need that many. If I were to downsize, my "essential list" would include the following:

Strat
Telecaster
Les Paul
Semi-hollow 335 style
P-90 solid body
6-string acoustic
12-string acoustic

It sounds to me like you use all of your guitars, which means you don't have too many.
I have 5 and feel like I have too many for my skill level (I dont gig, but I do practice every day).

I'f I played better and wider variety of songs, then I could see having as many as I could afford/store.

Right now I have:
MIM 1959'ish Roadworn Strat
2010 American Deluxe Ash Strat
American Vintage 1959 Sonic Blue Strat
ESP EclipseII Standard
Recording King RO 126S acoustic
From a collectors point of view:
I asume if you where collecting stamps, they wouldn't even ask you to sell one "book of stamp" because it's too many...

From a player point of view:
If one is "collecting the dust", then you might have "too many", but as long as you play em and use them, it's not too many...

Presently, I have 4:
Standard / Drop D
Half Tone / Drop Db
Full step / Drop C
Accoustic.

I would have no problem adding 3 just not to have to go from standard to drop,
I would have no problem adding 2 more for Two Steps / Drop B
I would have no problem adding 1 more half step with 24.5 scale for fooling around in "slash mode"
I would have no problem adding a nice fender to get a nice pink floyd tone

and on, and on!

I think, if you're not short for space or cash, it's most likely not "to many"
I think I have 10 at the moment. Half of them have double locking trems, so its a pain to change tunings, and all of them are technically in different tunings I'd say.
6 strings in standard, dropped D, dropped C, half step down, Bb standard, and I think D standard
7 strings in standard, half step down and one has 2 high E strings
And an 8 string in half step down.

I can probably do without the Bb standard 6 string because its almost the same the 7 tuned down, but as that's the ultimate stage presence guitar, I can't.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I have 6 electrics, I don't really use lots of different tunings but each guitar has its own sound and use for me. I don't think I'll be buying any more in the near future but I would like to replace my g-1275 for a real Gibson when I can spare the cash.

Parker fly (my workhorse/main gigging guitar)
MIM Fender Strat (bought for that strat sound and th trem although I don't gig with it anymore because the Parker has taken it's place live, still used at home and at rehearsals sometimes)
Epiphone G-1275 (two necks needed for some songs live)
Gibson SG Classic (P90's used used as a backup to the Parker live now, just in case)
Gibson SG Standard (taken the place of my old 1963 SG mainly used at home and rehearsals)
Gibson SG Standard 1963 (only used on occasions at home really due to the age of the guitar, it's a little worn out lol)

I also have some accoustics which I have on stands in my living room so I can just pick them up and play. Plus a banjo and a mandolin but they don't count as Guitars do they
I have 10 and would like a few more
1979 Granada Les Paul
1983 Lado Flying V
2006 Fender Stratocaster
2007 Tenson Classical
2008 Epiphone Les Paul
2008 Yamaha Pacifica
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2011 Dean Z 79 Series
2011 Ibanez 12 String Acoustic
2012 Messina Classical
Page 1 of 2