Hi, I am thinking of buying a new hollow-body guitar, probably a Gretsch G5420T. I want a guitar that is versatile in all genres and I don't know much about the pro's and con's of a hollow-body. If anybody has a Gretsch G5420T could you please review it for me.
If anyone can answer these questions it woul dhelp me out a great deal.
Thank you.
Actually, if you search the forum, this was very recently discussed. I'm pretty sure within the last couple of months.
As far as my experience goes, they look badass and sound amazing clean. They don't sound as good with much gain however (I only use a little, so it's great for me) and they are huge, however.
I have a Gretsch G5122 and I like it, though the neck feels a bit too big for me (and I usually like big necks).
I don't really mind just as long as it is hollow but preferably fully hollow.
Last edited by alangton1997 at Dec 14, 2012,
Hollow bodies can have some feedback issues, but there are a couple of ways you can manage that (noise suppressors being the easiest).

A lot of hollows will be designed for cleans, though they can handle gain if you're clever with a noise suppressor. Because they have such low output pups (generally speaking), if you can keep piling on gain without losing out on clarity.

The only major con is that you will have an immense excess of class when playing one, leading to impromptu sex on occasion. It's a tough life, but you learn to cope.
Cons: The feedback.
Pros: The ladies.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by SteveHOC
A noise suppressor will take care of most of the feedback.
A noise supressor removes hum. It's nothing to do with feedback and can't prevent it.

Though, the feedback problems associated with hollow- and semi-hollow guitars are massively exaggerated.

There aren't any 'pros' or 'cons' to hollow- or semi-hollow construction. There are differences; none of which can be said to be a good or bad thing objectively. The more wood you take out of the body, the warmer and softer the tone will get; vibrations don't carry through air as well as they do through solid wood, so the bass and treble frequencies get muted. The tone becomes much more mids-focused. Sustain is usually improved, too, though this depends on the woods used.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
A noise supressor removes hum. It's nothing to do with feedback and can't prevent it.

Wrong.

Again.

FFS, have you ever actually used one?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I run two.

And please,explain how a noise gate—which simply cuts out the signal when the level drops below a particular threshold—is meant to stop a hollow guitar body from catching any given resonant frequency—typically bass, around 150Hz—and vibrating, reinforcing those frequencies and creating the effect commonly known as 'feedback'.
You may mean a notch filter, which can be set to cut out any given frequency band range that is found to be causing feedback. However, apart from also effecting the tone of the guitar, a notch filter is not a noise gate.

Unless you simply mean a noise gate can cut out all feedback, both negative and positive, in which case you'd be right. Because that's simply called muting the signal entirely, and certain noise gates do have total mute functions. But that's hardly useful for preventing feedback while you're playing a song.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Doesn't a supressor reduce hum/hiss, and a noise gate completely kill sound? That's what I've always thought at least.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by MrFlibble
I run two.

And please,explain how a noise gate—which simply cuts out the signal when the level drops below a particular threshold—is meant to stop a hollow guitar body from catching any given resonant frequency—typically bass, around 150Hz—and vibrating, reinforcing those frequencies and creating the effect commonly known as 'feedback'.
You may mean a notch filter, which can be set to cut out any given frequency band range that is found to be causing feedback. However, apart from also effecting the tone of the guitar, a notch filter is not a noise gate.

Unless you simply mean a noise gate can cut out all feedback, both negative and positive, in which case you'd be right. Because that's simply called muting the signal entirely, and certain noise gates do have total mute functions. But that's hardly useful for preventing feedback while you're playing a song.

Ummm, are you not awake yet?

Quote by MrFlibble

We weren't discussing 'noise gate', we were discussing noise suppressors, two very different animals, as I know you already know.

There are a lot of us that use a noise suppressor to eliminate feedback (or minimize it significantly).
Charles Darwin
Unless you're working on the Continent, a suppressor and gate are the same thing. Evidently, you're thinking of filters (same for you, Charvel1995, though yes, there are some supressors/gates that can totally mute the sound as well, like the Boss NS-2).
Thanks for clarifying, MrFlibble.

I'm aware that some act as both a gate/supressor (Smart Gate does I believe), but I knew not all did.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by MrFlibble
Unless you're working on the Continent, a suppressor and gate are the same thing. Evidently, you're thinking of filters (same for you, Charvel1995, though yes, there are some supressors/gates that can totally mute the sound as well, like the Boss NS-2).

No they aren't.

I'll agree that many pedals incorporate elements of both, but that doesn't make them equivalent.

I'm surprised, you're generally pretty good at the more technical elements, but you're way off in left field on this one.
Charles Darwin