Page 5 of 69
Quote by Greenie_777
Yeah way to protect your families with all your legal guns. Everyone having access to legal firearms saved those children...

Oh wait having access to legal firearms allowed someone to shoot them all and nowone did a thing.

That school is a "gun free zone" - they couldn't have guns there even if they wanted to.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
True, but that didn't change the fact that it happened. They could have just as easily been killed. Thankfully that didn't happen, but that doesn't mean it couldn't/wouldn't have happened.

Don't blame the object the person is using to commit the crime, blame the person using the object to commit the crime. That's the real problem here.

But if you're comparing the two you have to compare the weapons because one left almost 30 dead while the other killed none.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by TunerAddict
You and all your friends would be eradicated in an instant in that hypothetical situation. Your puny weapons are nothing against stealth bombers and unmanned drones.

There are a few folks in Afghanistan that disagree with you, and support their contention on a regular basis...

Bombers and Drone can't take and hold a position, that requires boots on the ground, and boots on the ground can be killed by the aforementioned 'puny weapons'.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by stonyman65
True, but that didn't change the fact that it happened. They could have just as easily been killed. Thankfully that didn't happen, but that doesn't mean it couldn't/wouldn't have happened.

Don't blame the object the person is using to commit the crime, blame the person using the object to commit the crime. That's the real problem here.

Like I said, banning guns won't give you a permanent solution. Nothing will but it will shift the possibilities for a more favorable result.
Quote by BurningStarlV
Because clearly he couldn't have acquired a gun illegally and done the exact same thing.

I'm sorry but the only people I know who have access to guns in this country are people already involved in criminal activities.

I'm going to hazard a guess this guy isn't someone who has connections to criminals selling guns and would have a hard time purchasing a gun let alone multiple guns aswell as the ammunition to fire off over 100 rounds.

Not to mention the fact that if they were controlled chances are the prices would be a lot more and he may not be able to afford it.
Quote by LostLegion
Stuff like this happens in other countries a lot of the time. It's just American media

I live in Europe. If there had been any shootings like this in the Czech Republic, trust me, I'd hear about it. There have been none.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
If you look beyond mass murders for once and look at overall figures.

A good example on how gun control works would be to look at north ireland and the UK.

Handgun ownership is legal in northern ireland and isn't in the UK. They both have similar policing policies and are both islands with equally tight border controls. However due to the ownership of legally held handguns the results are as follows.

Deaths per 100'000 people in 2009 due to handguns
Northern Ireland - 2009: 1.5
United kingdom - 2009: 0.22

I'm no expert , but that seems quite significant.
Quote by stonyman65

And that object makes the crime 10x easier, and in many cases possible and convenient when it would not have been without it.
Quote by TunerAddict
What meaningless garbage that is. Fighting for america? Defenseless coward?

Dying is dying. The idea that there are some kind of heroic death is just the kind of propaganda that sway uneducated trailer trash into taking part in military conflicts around the world for "freedom."

And opinions are opinions. Do you think I'm falling victim to propaganda? The same propaganda that the media force feeds us? Like how every black gun is a death machine, or how every NRA member is a mass murderer.
And I would never join the military. That's not fighting for my country. That's fighting for my government. I'm not gonna risk my life so that the wealthy people up there can keep selling us oil, or make the whole world a "peaceful" place. I'll fight for my country when my country needs fighting for!
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by burghUK
The problem with those areas wouldn't exist if guns were illegal. The supply would dwindle and these criminals couldn't afford to buy one illegally and they won't want to waste their time in your house with it.

Criminals buy illegal guns all day everyday here in the state and other parts of the world. Do you think Johnny Jihad or Tyrone "gimme yo money" Rodridqez gives a shit about gun control law. Drugs are illegal almost everywhere and there is no shortage of people using drugs. People break the law and thays a fact of life.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by WCPhils
But if you're comparing the two you have to compare the weapons because one left almost 30 dead while the other killed none.

2,996 people killed in the 9/11 attacks. No guns used.
Charles Darwin

This figure shows a increasing pattern of homicides even after gun control laws were repeatedly made stricter in England.

The homicide rate in England and Wales has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.

Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Greenie_777
I'm sorry but the only people I know who have access to guns in this country are people already involved in criminal activities.

I'm going to hazard a guess this guy isn't someone who has connections to criminals selling guns and would have a hard time purchasing a gun let alone multiple guns aswell as the ammunition to fire off over 100 rounds.

Not to mention the fact that if they were controlled chances are the prices would be a lot more and he may not be able to afford it.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult. People buy guns illegally without background checks at gun shows all the time.
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Dec 14, 2012,
Quote by Arby911
There are a few folks in Afghanistan that disagree with you, and support their contention on a regular basis...

Bombers and Drone can't take and hold a position, that requires boots on the ground, and boots on the ground can be killed by the aforementioned 'puny weapons'.

Did you really just equate Afghanistan with the US government becoming tyrannical and oppressive and fighting small domestic resistance groups?

lol

Think before you post.
Quote by Arby911

Have you ever been for an enema or rectoscopy? How did they know which end to work with?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
What you need is people control. Poverty, mental illness, things like that are reasons someone would use a gun on another maliciously. In the meantime, you don't need to be handing guns out as easily as possible.
Quote by Dynamight
I live in Europe. If there had been any shootings like this in the Czech Republic, trust me, I'd hear about it. There have been none.

I don't really ever remember a shooting here. But there has been a stabbing in my town 2 or 3 years where 8 people were injured.
Quote by burghUK
The problem with those areas wouldn't exist if guns were illegal. The supply would dwindle and these criminals couldn't afford to buy one illegally and they won't want to waste their time in your house with it.

The issue is beyond mass murders and 15 people killed here and there. It's the overall figure of gun deaths and how many lives would be saved if guns weren't accessible.

I agree, but the point that I'm trying to make is that we have to be realistic. There is no chance in hell that the government will suddenly ban guns. If gun reform is going to happen, it's going to be a slow, arduous process.
I AM FOR GUN CONTROL. But I don't think people have to have ALL firearms banned. The problem is the requirements to own a gun aren't universal and state and federal governments clash at the issue.
People will go to a state with lax gun laws, buy some weapons and smuggle them to another state like NY which actually has very strict gun laws. So banning guns in one state wouldn't be enough, it have to be a nation-wide movement and our country is so divided politically right now that something like that won't happen anytime soon.
A law on gun control that has bipartisan support is about as likely as Nickelback writing a good song. So since it won't be happening soon, we must compromise in one way or another.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by stonyman65
That school is a "gun free zone" - they couldn't have guns there even if they wanted to.

Yes sir, I agree 100%! Not all criminals are idiots! Many scope out places where guns are not allowed. BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO CHANCE OF BEING TAKEN DOWN BY A CIVILIAN! They have 10-15 minutes before the police show up.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by Arby911

What?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Carnivean

This figure shows a increasing pattern of homicides even after gun control laws were repeatedly made stricter in England.

The homicide rate in England and Wales has averaged 52% higher since the outset of the 1968 gun control law and 15% higher since the outset of the 1997 handgun ban.

Since the outset of the Chicago handgun ban, the percentage of Chicago murders committed with handguns has averaged about 40% higher than it was before the law took effect

Source?
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Quote by Todd Hart
Have you ever been for an enema or rectoscopy? How did they know which end to work with?

I love you too, your insults notwithstanding.

Have a nice day.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Carnivean

that justfacts website is awful, and you should feel bad for citing it
Quote by Arby911
I love you too, your insults notwithstanding.

Have a nice day.

I don't love you.

And if you talk utter bullshit I will accuse you of doing so. It's not an insult, it's an observation.
Quote by Todd Hart

How about you respond with an actual argument, as opposed to taking the easy way out and insulting him.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by losing battle
Criminals buy illegal guns all day everyday here in the state and other parts of the world. Do you think Johnny Jihad or Tyrone "gimme yo money" Rodridqez gives a shit about gun control law. Drugs are illegal almost everywhere and there is no shortage of people using drugs. People break the law and thays a fact of life.

1. subtle racism is subtle

2. The illegality of guns drives black market prices way up, as it does with drugs. When prices go up, purchases go down.

Quote by WCPhils
What?

da guvment iz comin 4 my plains
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
1. subtle racism is subtle

2. The illegality of guns drives black market prices way up, as it does with drugs. When prices go up, purchases go down.
Subtle?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by jonathan666666
How about you respond with an actual argument, as opposed to taking the easy way out and insulting him.

He tried to use the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the US to prove that gun control is pointless. I have nothing to say to someone like that, other than contemptuous remarks revolving around their intellectual deficiency.

It was either mock him or sell him a pyramid scheme.
Also considering how many of these school shooters seem to be socially retarded how many of them do you think have the connections to purchase guns illegally?
Quote by jonathan666666

I've yet to see your present an actual argument that wasn't romantic garbage about freedom and a heroic death.
Quote by WCPhils
What?

There was a comparison made of methods and results earlier, implying that access to a firearm was necessary for higher numbers.

I disagree, the example was merely supporting evidence.
Charles Darwin
Quote by element4433
Subtle?

Well, it was closer to subtle than overt
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Todd Hart
He tried to use the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the US to prove that gun control is pointless. I have nothing to say to someone like that, other than contemptuous remarks revolving around their intellectual deficiency.

It was either mock him or sell him a pyramid scheme.

Wasn't my point at all.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
There was a comparison made of methods and results earlier, implying that access to a firearm was necessary for higher numbers.

I disagree, the example was merely supporting evidence.

Are you saying people will just fly planes into building if they don't have guns? I seriously do not understand.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by StewieSwan

Have you ever seen the crystal meth PSAs? The ones where the kid destroys his house looking for his mom's wallet. or the one where there's 2 girls outside of a gas station bathroom. One of them say "you can do whatever you want to my friend for $20".
When people need money for criminal things, they'll get it quickly by criminal means.
Quote by TunerAddict
I've yet to see your present an actual argument that wasn't romantic garbage about freedom and a heroic death.

My first post in this thread was a response to an argument in the previous thread. That contained almost all of my views, as well as a personal experience story. Let's not argue about arguing.
FORZA CATANIA
Last edited by jonathan666666 at Dec 14, 2012,
Guns will not be prohibited anytime soon in this country. It's just not realistic or practical.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Arby911
Wasn't my point at all.

Well then what on Earth was your point?
Quote by metaldud536
We need planes though. Not guns.

This what I don't get. People not understanding this.
Gear:
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom 24
Marshall MG30DFX
ISP Noise Decimator
Need a new amp. Any ideas? PM me

Quote by Kensai
Either you got the wrong thread or the gays in your state are very well hung.