View poll results: Would you bow to royalty
Yes
55 27%
No
147 73%
Voters: 202.
Page 2 of 4
Quote by blake1221
Just for fun and as a sign of respect. I assume it would be rude for me not to in the scenario that I'm before royalty. I wouldn't mean anything by it, but it'd be fun to play along.

this. there are more important things to rebel against.
Quote by macashmack
I understand you're point, but i have to disagree.
It's the same as when black people had to refer to whites during segregation as "Sir" and "Ma'am" even if they were children and the blacks fully grown (Racial Ediquette).

Well at least we've found a positive aspect of racism. That's very polite.

Are you saying you would never refer to someone as "sir" or "ma'am" because that puts you unjustly below them? How ridiculous. Do you refuse to apologize to people as well because you concede some sort of power or authority to them by admitting wrongdoing? That you would never say "sorry" even if you didn't necessarily believe that what you did was wrong? There are these things called "manners" and conducting yourself as a considerate and civil human. We have customs and ways in which we put each other at ease and communicate a certain level of respect and compassion for each other.

I don't really understand why some people seem to put such emphasis and distinction on royal bashing. As far as I'm aware they haven't done anything particularly heinous in their lives and have actually done quite a bit of good through charity and helping to generate money for the state. Considering leftists so often put incredible emphasis on judgement of individuals solely through their own actions (and rightly so I might add), I find it quite strange how when it comes to the royal family the opposite seems to occur. Because of past perceived injustices, the current existing royal family gets a pretty shitty rep considering what their actions have been in their lives with what they have been blessed with.

When it comes down to it, realistically observing their customs to the best of your ability is nothing more than a sign of respect in our modern society. I see no reason to communicate disrespect. Maybe I'm odd for showing respect towards people until they give reason to conduct myself otherwise towards them. I'm happy being odd in that case.
What do the british monarchy DO again?
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
This
Quote by blake1221
Just for fun and as a sign of respect. I assume it would be rude for me not to in the scenario that I'm before royalty. I wouldn't mean anything by it, but it'd be fun to play along.

And this.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Are you saying you would never refer to someone as "sir" or "ma'am" because that puts you unjustly below them? How ridiculous. Do you refuse to apologize to people as well because you concede some sort of power or authority to them by admitting wrongdoing? That you would never say "sorry" even if you didn't necessarily believe that what you did was wrong? There are these things called "manners" and conducting yourself as a considerate and civil human. We have customs and ways in which we put each other at ease and communicate a certain level of respect and compassion for each other.

I don't really understand why some people seem to put such emphasis and distinction on royal bashing. As far as I'm aware they haven't done anything particularly heinous in their lives and have actually done quite a bit of good through charity and helping to generate money for the state. Considering leftists so often put incredible emphasis on judgement of individuals solely through their own actions (and rightly so I might add), I find it quite strange how when it comes to the royal family the opposite seems to occur. Because of past perceived injustices, the current existing royal family gets a pretty shitty rep considering what their actions have been in their lives with what they have been blessed with.

When it comes down to it, realistically observing their customs to the best of your ability is nothing more than a sign of respect in our modern society. I see no reason to communicate disrespect. Maybe I'm odd for showing respect towards people until they give reason to conduct myself otherwise towards them. I'm happy being odd in that case.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by Bair
What do the british monarchy DO again?

they create a persona for the UK that makes their tourism industry explode
There's a fair bit of straw man fallacies here. If anyone hasn't heard of it I'd suggest looking into it, interesting if nothin else
Quote by accadacca97
There's a fair bit of straw man fallacies here. If anyone hasn't heard of it I'd suggest looking into it, interesting if nothin else

Oh man, you're too smart for the rest of us unenlightened individuals who are still stuck in a Pre-Socratic time.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm Scottish. What do you think?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
"Oh look, the ancestors of those people used to oppress our ancestors, let's respect them!"
no because im a 15 year old pitmonkey and im hardcroe as fvck, im a nonconformistnist
and i wear anarchy bracelets from hottopic

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

No.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by zgr0826
Oh man, you're too smart for the rest of us unenlightened individuals who are still stuck in a Pre-Socratic time.

Jesus, calm down, just thought people would find it interesting
No way in hell.

What gives them the right to rule over anyone else? Because they where born to a specific family?

I can understand if they where elected by their peers, but then they wouldn't be royalty, they'd be elected officials.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If it was the Dalai Lama or someone sure. I'm sure as shit not bowing to redcoats though.
Quote by risingforce1
If you want to be good you gotta git gud
No, cuz I'm an American.

Nah, but really I probably wouldn't even think of it if the situation came up. If I met one of them I'd probably just treat them like anyone else.
Yeah, I would, because I don't care enough to rebel against it. Save the controversy for the important stuff.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Clicked yes by accident, damn it.

No I would not. There's no chance I'm ever going to encounter royalty and if I ever do I'm probably not going to give a shit.
I would.

I respect the British Royal Family. They do a lot of good work - events, charity work, supporting good causes, bringing in a great deal of revenue form tourism. Moreover, they add an air which so many countries are just lacking. I like having a Royal Family.
Look at Prince Charles - he does so much work, raises a lot of money himself, supports green energies and sustainability.
Sorry, but how many businessmen/women do you see who put in as much time and effort as these guys? Honestly, no one can accuse them of having easy, laid-back lives. They are constantly in the press, they always have to be careful of what they are saying and/or doing, they have so many events - if you have ever watched or heard anything about them, you would know - they sometimes have multiple events on a single day, and they attend those 300+ days of the year.
Also agree with Thrashtastic.

Now, to a little rebuttal. To those who claim is is "debasing" or shows you consider yourself a lesser human, I completely refuse that. I consider myself intellectually every bit as good as them. Nonetheless, I respect them, and the traditions (yes, I appreciate traditions), and the fact that is is simply the well-mannered thing to do. People these days seem to treat manners as something for stupid people or old-fashioned idiots. I dislike these sorts of people.

As to those who say "your ancestor enslaved mine, so now I'll bow down to you... not" - really? Are you that primitive and inane? Seriously? Please, grow up. I think you will find that the majority of royals (if you trace back the family trees) did not enslave others at all. Admittedly, they fought wars, but they were people on both sides. That's not slavery. That's how the world worked.
Furthermore, if you had bothered to look back at history, you would find that in many societies the tribal chieftains and leaders, who would later be known as Kings and Queens, were chosen either democratically, or because of their inherent leadership skills.

As a final point, I would add that the Royals generally have an air of ... "breeding"... which is clearly lacking in so many people. They are far more eloquent and polite and with better manners than so many people in the world. So, actually, perhaps if you don't want them to be above you (and you're just jealous and bitter because they are), so should try to make yourself a better person, rather than pulling down those who are.
Because my wife and her family are English, yes I would show the proper respect to English royalty. Otherwise, no, because they aren't MY royalty, however I would still be very polite and use my honorifics.
My God, it's full of stars!
I would just bow out of respect. Like shaking someone's hand when meeting them.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Sure because idgaf

+1

Seriously, I don't care.

It's just a social custom in some places and it wouldn't hurt me. Big deal

Quote by Aralingh
"Oh look, the ancestors of those people used to oppress our ancestors, let's respect them!"

Jesus Christ. You're so ****ing angsty
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 17, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Hell yeah I'm a loyal subject to her majesty.

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
haha limeys
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Yes, but I'd look her in the eye while I do it, so she knows an ass-kicking is coming her way.

Quote by AcousticMetal99
I would.

I respect the British Royal Family. They do a lot of good work - events, charity work, supporting good causes, bringing in a great deal of revenue form tourism. Moreover, they add an air which so many countries are just lacking. I like having a Royal Family.
Look at Prince Charles - he does so much work, raises a lot of money himself, supports green energies and sustainability.
Sorry, but how many businessmen/women do you see who put in as much time and effort as these guys? Honestly, no one can accuse them of having easy, laid-back lives. They are constantly in the press, they always have to be careful of what they are saying and/or doing, they have so many events - if you have ever watched or heard anything about them, you would know - they sometimes have multiple events on a single day, and they attend those 300+ days of the year.
Also agree with Thrashtastic.

Now, to a little rebuttal. To those who claim is is "debasing" or shows you consider yourself a lesser human, I completely refuse that. I consider myself intellectually every bit as good as them. Nonetheless, I respect them, and the traditions (yes, I appreciate traditions), and the fact that is is simply the well-mannered thing to do. People these days seem to treat manners as something for stupid people or old-fashioned idiots. I dislike these sorts of people.

As to those who say "your ancestor enslaved mine, so now I'll bow down to you... not" - really? Are you that primitive and inane? Seriously? Please, grow up. I think you will find that the majority of royals (if you trace back the family trees) did not enslave others at all. Admittedly, they fought wars, but they were people on both sides. That's not slavery. That's how the world worked.
Furthermore, if you had bothered to look back at history, you would find that in many societies the tribal chieftains and leaders, who would later be known as Kings and Queens, were chosen either democratically, or because of their inherent leadership skills.

As a final point, I would add that the Royals generally have an air of ... "breeding"... which is clearly lacking in so many people. They are far more eloquent and polite and with better manners than so many people in the world. So, actually, perhaps if you don't want them to be above you (and you're just jealous and bitter because they are), so should try to make yourself a better person, rather than pulling down those who are.

haha this pleb
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 17, 2012,
Quote by StewieSwan
Yes, but I'd look her in the eye while I do it, so she knows an ass-kicking is coming her way.

kinky
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
To be honest if the situation actually arose I imagine I would do so out of embarrassment/not knowing what to do, but ideally no I think it's ridiculous.

Royals are ridiculous and I'm not accepting the superiority of someone over me who has done nothing but being born.
Probably just out of tradition. There's not really any point trying to be all contrarian to the Queen, it's not like she gives a ****.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Stugg334
Yeah, I would, because I don't care enough to rebel against it. Save the controversy for the important stuff.

This.
Plus if it's some sort of formal meeting, you'd look like a tool if you stay standing while everyone else is bowing.
I wouldn't know how to properly act so I'd probably just shake their hand and hope I wasn't reinforcing structural misogyny.
Quote by macashmack
Everything but the dip I would do, unless she dipped her head as well

wow, how insecure are you man. Who gives a fuck? Honestly.

dipping your head to the Queen is hardly conceding that you're an inadequate human being, in fact refusing too is probably a better indicator of that. I don't like the idea of royalty either but again, who really cares about a little bow?

Quote by Eastwinn
they create a persona for the UK that makes their tourism industry explode

this, plus a bit extra actually, kind of interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Dec 17, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Hell yeah I'm a loyal subject to her majesty.

Mother****ing conservative bitch, get out of my country.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
~Jack Layton 1950-2011
Quote by Alpha_Wolf
no because im a 15 year old pitmonkey and im hardcroe as fvck, im a nonconformistnist
and i wear anarchy bracelets from hottopic

You think like a child.
Quote by Iced Earth9
Mother****ing conservative bitch, get out of my country.

Idiot incapable of comprehending sarcasm, off yourself and spare us of your stupidity.
Quote by WCPhils
+1

Seriously, I don't care.

It's just a social custom in some places and it wouldn't hurt me. Big deal

Jesus Christ. You're so ****ing angsty

Do explain where my logic is flawed.
Quote by Seref
They're not my monarchs, so no.

One letter away from serfdom -> won't bow to the monarch.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.