View poll results: Would you bow to royalty
Yes
55 27%
No
147 73%
Voters: 202.
Page 3 of 4
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Idiot incapable of comprehending sarcasm, off yourself and spare us of your stupidity.

Haha, yeah! Fool of a Took!
But Iced Earth ftw though.
Are we talking like Elrond or Galadriel levels of royalty, or assholes like Theoden?

Because I sure aint bowing to some back-water horse-breeder who lives in a castle made of shit and paste and calls himself king.
Quote by Aralingh
Do explain where my logic is flawed.

Well they didn't do those things so you shouldn't really have anything against them. And I don't really respect them. Not any more than any one else that is. It's just a social custom. Like shaking hands.

If someone refuses to bow down or whatever they just look like a tool. It's nothing worth getting all high and mighty about.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by badfish_lewis
You're reading too much into it, it is a custom. You are not literally showing them that they are better than you or anything like that.
As for whether they deserve to be bowed to that's up to each individual. However, the royal family does do a hell of a lot of charity work. I don't think that we need the royal family nor do I agree with much of what they've done. However, since it is a custom I would bow.

If you wanna feel like a big shot idealist that won't bow to the powers that be then please go right ahead because I really could care less.

Stop reading into things so much that every topic becomes a them vs. us issue.

Pretty much this.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I would. Mostly out of respect I guess. I don't look to offend for no reason
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by WCPhils
Well they didn't do those things so you shouldn't really have anything against them. And I don't really respect them. Not any more than any one else that is. It's just a social custom. Like shaking hands.

If someone refuses to bow down or whatever they just look like a tool. It's nothing worth getting all high and mighty about.

Social customs are meant to change, what was once acceptable or prohibited is now the otherwise. Yes, they had nothing to do with those things, and if them having nothing to with those things is no reason to detest them, why is it not a reason to treat them like ordinary people with no special privilege?

It's a social custom that has no intellectual background whatsoever.
Quote by Aralingh
Social customs are meant to change, what was once acceptable or prohibited is now the otherwise. Yes, they had nothing to do with those things, and if them having nothing to with those things is no reason to detest them, why is it not a reason to treat them like ordinary people with no special privilege?

It's a social custom that has no intellectual background whatsoever.

+1
Exactly
I would , the queen always seems like a nice failsafe incase parliament goes tits up and it's the one thing that the scots , english and welsh have in common besides a language.
I would just out of respect, like I call men older than me sir and women ma'am. And usually older people are addressed as Mr. and Mrs. soandso unless they say it's okay for me to call them Bob instead of Mr. Bob.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'd nod to them politely, but I don't bow to people as a general rule, it encourages douche-like behavior on their part.
I can never think of a good sig.
If I was in their country/nation, yes. It's the same thing as giving the president the presidential treatment. If I saw them somewhere else, I'd nod my head, but nothing more.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
i don't understand this whole social customs argument people are putting up.

i mean, who cares? the same people probly don't do other things that most people have done in the past. it's not like people are saying they would flash a brown eye at them istead.

also the eyeball avatar is slightly disturbing

edit: for the record i would probly bow if they bowed to me aswell, a mutual respect on a human level thing, even if they are reptiles.
Last edited by NipperMcNippy at Dec 18, 2012,
Well considering the fact that I am better than everybody, no I would not. In fact, they should bow to ME, as I am the greatest human being ever lived, royalty schmoyalty.
You guys do realise that you aren't expected to bow in the presence of royalty unless it is a small group or personal meeting, and frankly, if you don't at list dip your head when you're meeting anybody formally then you're rather an uncouth lout, but then I expect no less from UG.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Id do it just to get it out of the way and not wanting to rustle someone for no reason . Especially someone like the queen.

I do agree that royalty isnt special as they were simply born into it by chance though. That said its not how its seen the world over so for the sake of appearances id do it.

Do the detractors to this honestly see it as proclaiming you are less than someone else? Its a formality that while pointless isnt harmful in any way.

"I bow to no one" oohhhh so edgy and hardcore. Get over yourselves.
Knowledge is power
Quote by CoreysMonster
Are we talking like Elrond or Galadriel levels of royalty, or assholes like Theoden?

Because I sure aint bowing to some back-water horse-breeder who lives in a castle made of shit and paste and calls himself king.

I always wonder why Theoden chooses to reside in some tiny little hall most of the time when he has a baller-ass fortress in Helm's Deep?
The royalty do ALOT of serious work for charity and certainly alot more than some selfish wealthy people , it's not like they sit on their arse all day , they do actually work.
My respect is to be earned through deeds rather than ancestry.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by burghUK
The royalty do ALOT of serious work for charity and certainly alot more than some selfish wealthy people , it's not like they sit on their arse all day , they do actually work.

Isn't Prince Bill a search and rescue helicopter pilot? I mean if any vocation deserves respect...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
No, I insulted a Lord and Lady one time at St. Michael's Mount St levins. Stupid blue blood idiots thought they were better than me
Quote by PeZ546
I always wonder why Theoden chooses to reside in some tiny little hall most of the time when he has a baller-ass fortress in Helm's Deep?

Simple. His hall is comfortable. And, for the record, the books give his hall much more justice (size- and comfort-wise) than the movies do. I mean, in the movies, you see like 4 rooms of the hall; you never see the like 30 other rooms that are implied in the books.
I don't know about any of you, but I have a Royal Family, I'm British. - It's like, asking an American what would they do if they met the President... The answer quite simply is
"follow protocol."

If I have to bow to meet the Queen or who ever then, so be it.

I'm not fussed one way or the other.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 18, 2012,
I'd curtsey. Don't want to look rude. Afterall the only time I'd probably meet the a royal would be to receive an award, and then I'd be simply displaying my gratitude.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I've met someone who's been introduced to the Queen before... I was on Jury Service with him, he was telling me what you have to do and stuff and how he got to meet her, it was in his line of work... Top Secret Civil Servant guy, I think.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Simple. His hall is comfortable. And, for the record, the books give his hall much more justice (size- and comfort-wise) than the movies do. I mean, in the movies, you see like 4 rooms of the hall; you never see the like 30 other rooms that are implied in the books.

not to derail but this. I was disappointed when they showed it in theaters. Made him look like a peasent compared to the King i read of in the books.

Also Helms Deep isnt made for long term living. Its a last option fallback desinged to be a "in case of emerngency press this button" type of thing. A giant saferoom to ride out bad times. You saw what happened in the books and films though. Once breached it becomes a tomb for all inside as you only have one way in or out. Not the best for long term arrangements and safety. The true definiton of a last resort.
Knowledge is power
Also love the badasses on here.

Its a formality once again get over yourselves. Id say the only ones who yap about "They think they are better than us blah blah" and "id tell them to this or that" are likely crummy individuals themselves and feel in their own minds that they are inferior causing them to be rustled mightily. IF you didnt feel like less you wouldnt be offended by bowing cause you wouldnt actually give a shit.

Now i could understand if they have actually talked down to or looked down on you personally but other than that its a formality that while pointless is observed everywhere.

"My respect is to be earned through deeds and not ancestry". Cool story bro.
Knowledge is power
OMG OMG OMG....

I logged in to Facebook today to see my EX girlfriend post.

Bucket list - formal introduction to the Queen - tick. Just one of the perks of working on *** ******* *********'* ** **********.

Like omg. I think she met the Queen yesterday; I've now met two people who's met the Queen, and I know one of them, that's kind of freaky, but cool. (Well not really freaky, but cool still).
Quote by laid-to-waste
Royals poop too.

You've read that book too.

Everyone Poops

Quote by laid-to-waste
No I haven't, but now that you've made me aware of its existence I definitely will. Best title ever.