Page 3 of 3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i thought matchetts did a pretty decent setup on my rg. granted that was ages back.

there's that guy peter griffin (yes i know ) who (from what i her) is in music matters (lisburn) occasionally. he's an actual luthier, and he did a really good fret crown for me. and his guitars are good too. I'm guessing he could do a setup.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought matchetts did a pretty decent setup on my rg. granted that was ages back.

there's that guy peter griffin (yes i know ) who (from what i her) is in music matters (lisburn) occasionally. he's an actual luthier, and he did a really good fret crown for me. and his guitars are good too. I'm guessing he could do a setup.

Really man don't ever go near them again. They basically ruined my Epi (this was last year) before an amazing friend of mine salvaged it. Seriously I did a better set up on this shitty les Paul I'm sending back lol they're very overpriced and they have conned a few people I know, any time I've been there they've also always been completely rude, just because I was kind of young they automatically assumed I was there to just mess around.

Haha I'm going to sound like an idiot ringing up music matters asking for Peter griffin! But that's the only actual luthier I have heard of in northern Ireland, and that shops only like 25mins from me so I'm definitely checking that out to see if he can do set ups. Thanks mann
gerrywm
570 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
To be honest I don't know what to do. I can order a guitar from England, where I can get it set up but I can't try it out. I can get one from Dublin and try it out but the travel will take at least 4 hours total. Or I can get one ordered in locally, where I can try it out AND get it set up, but I can't send it back if I don't like it.

So confused..

It aint easy man, I spent 6 months trying to find one that suited me, drove all over Ireland and got a the train to Dublin and Cork but eventually found my Gibson below in Carlow of all places.....Totally worth it, I will never sell it, its brilliant...see my thread on it if you like....Moral is, dont panic buy hold tough and get the guitar you really want

Some cool 2nd stuff floating about too and not too far from you, some traditional s going for nothing in Dublin too...
http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/gibson-les-paul-standard-santa-fe-sunrise/2418397
That s the red version of my guitar great value for money when you convert to £

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-guitars/tokai-love-rock-les-paul-model/2091363
Way better than any studio I have ever played.....

If you do decide to go to Dublin I am living there now and would show you around to the different shops....any excuse to go guitar shopping!!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
Really man don't ever go near them again. They basically ruined my Epi (this was last year) before an amazing friend of mine salvaged it. Seriously I did a better set up on this shitty les Paul I'm sending back lol they're very overpriced and they have conned a few people I know, any time I've been there they've also always been completely rude, just because I was kind of young they automatically assumed I was there to just mess around.

Haha I'm going to sound like an idiot ringing up music matters asking for Peter griffin! But that's the only actual luthier I have heard of in northern Ireland, and that shops only like 25mins from me so I'm definitely checking that out to see if he can do set ups. Thanks mann

he might go by "pete" rather than "peter".

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?121143-Pete-Griffin-Northern-Ireland-tech-good-work! there's a thread about him on music radar.

that sucks about matchetts, by the way. It does seem to be a sort of jekyll and hyde kind of shop. I sort of only started playing when i was about 18, so i didn't really get the "being messed around because i'm young" thing (though for the first year or two, maybe), but then when i got old enough not to look like a kid i always thought they were pretty good.

But obviously if they ripped you then avoid them, lol.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 18, 2012,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Well, I know of good shops in the UK who will give you a good guitar, that have the Studio that you want and will set it up and fret polish it etc and then ship it to you. I can PM you some details if you want.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc

http://forum.musicradar.com/showthread.php?121143-Pete-Griffin-Northern-Ireland-tech-good-work! there's a thread about him on music radar.

that sucks about matchetts, by the way. It does seem to be a sort of jekyll and hyde kind of shop. I sort of only started playing when i was about 18, so i didn't really get the "being messed around because i'm young" thing (though for the first year or two, maybe), but then when i got old enough not to look like a kid i always thought they were pretty good.

I'm gonna check that article out now, hope he still does servicing

And yeh just watch out with them dude, I only use them for buying strings because it's free p&p
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Well, I know of good shops in the UK who will give you a good guitar, that have the Studio that you want and will set it up and fret polish it etc and then ship it to you. I can PM you some details if you want.

That would be awesome man thanks, I think andertons would be very reliable too
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"
638 IQ
Hey come on, except for the finish complaints none of the issues are QC related.
This guitar has travelled halfway across the world, exposed to who knows what temp, humidity and altitude changes. Anyone expecting a non-plastic coated guitar to do this and be the same (set up) as it left the factory is either inexperienced or ?.
The fret sprout comes from the shrinkage of the fretboard due to the differences in the environment from where it was made in a climate controlled facility.
The fret buzz is probably due to the neck relief changing as well for the same reasons.
The tuning stability can be several factors.....old strings (I trust you didn't just keep the factory strings on??!!!) They could be poorly wound on the posts, the posts could be loose due to wood shrinkage and the nuts that clamp the tuners down loose as well. You should also lube a Les Paul nut, the 17 degree pitch on the headstock adds more resistance to the string as it travels through the nut.
Again any finish quality issues are QC but to be honest the studio models are their cheapest LPs and some corners are cut.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 18, 2012,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
I'm gonna check that article out now, hope he still does servicing

And yeh just watch out with them dude, I only use them for buying strings because it's free p&p

thanks

i imagine he still does it. that thread was only made in the last couple of days.
Quote by classicrocker01

trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
True. Although I tried doing countless things to cure the buzz but to no avail

Temp + humidity are not an excuse for strings not staying in tune, fretwork that actually cut me and a shoddy paint job though

i cut my hand on a $950 ibanez premium after it was unboxed while i was at GC. gibson isn't the only company that will have an issue here or there.

i had one jackson that i ordered (i don't really count owning it) it was brand new and half of the neck had dead frets and then i figured out the neck was warped. sent it back right away, got a steeper discount on the same guitar, and that one was much better both playing, smooth and sounded great.

some guitars from whatever company are going to be put for sale with issues.

and in your situation the weather and shipping was more of a factor than QC with the scratch you have (which i don't recall seeing pics of) being the only problem with gibson.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i cut my hand on a $950 ibanez premium after it was unboxed while i was at GC. gibson isn't the only company that will have an issue here or there.

i had one jackson that i ordered (i don't really count owning it) it was brand new and half of the neck had dead frets and then i figured out the neck was warped. sent it back right away, got a steeper discount on the same guitar, and that one was much better both playing, smooth and sounded great.

some guitars from whatever company are going to be put for sale with issues.

and in your situation the weather and shipping was more of a factor than QC with the scratch you have (which i don't recall seeing pics of) being the only problem with gibson.

Understand what your saying man, but in my position I can't try before I buy so I'm always running the risk of buying one the guitar companies put on sale with issues. And since I'm sending it back I didn't see the point in posting pics, I felt its more important to get my full £529 back (I had to post it ASAP a my 30 day warranty was running out) rather than documenting the guitars flaws.

Ah well, guess j'll have to save for a 2013 studio. Im selling a fender mustang III, line 6 spider II, half of fame reverb, takimine gs330s all with original boxes in great condition. Will give free pedal board if you buy any of those things. Just pm me with an offer, I can ship took
Supernaut2k
Blackmore Worshipper
64 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The problem with Gibson (and it's also true with MIA Fenders) is that since a lot of the processes used to make those guitars are largely done by hand, so you will get a lot of variance between guitars of the same model. But that also becomes and advantage because if you go to a shop and try before you buy, you can find a Gibson that fits you absolutely perfectly.

Too much of a simplification, I'd guarantee the problems are 90% quality control and work ethic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah20CV0vYX4
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
So.. I'll save for a 2013 studio. Anyone have opinions on em?
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
They're solid guitars.

You can try before you buy, you just need to raise your determination by a day and £100 or so.

I have faith, you can do it!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by Supernaut2k
Too much of a simplification, I'd guarantee the problems are 90% quality control and work ethic.

It's true that guitars are all hand-made, but how hand-made is where the differences lie. Gibsons are clearly more hand-made then some cheap strat copy from China. That video is overgeneralizing the affair.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 19, 2012,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
if you buy a guitar built before the mass use of CNC machines you get about as close as you ever will to a 100% hand made guitar.

TS - i saw you are saving for a 2013 Gibson LP studio.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
They're solid guitars.

You can try before you buy, you just need to raise your determination by a day and £100 or so.

I have faith, you can do it!

Thanks man, once I get some of this gear I don't use shifted I'll be pretty close to the budget. I also get a bonus of around £100 soon from work so it's a start
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
if you buy a guitar built before the mass use of CNC machines you get about as close as you ever will to a 100% hand made guitar.

TS - i saw you are saving for a 2013 Gibson LP studio.

Saving is a kind term - I prefer frantically-selling-everything-I-don't-need-for-money but yes once I have the money I'll order one from andertons, but this time I'll get them to set it up for me first. I like the pickups it has, it's basically the same as the one i sent back, but it has coil tapping and a nitro finish I think £375 to go!
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd
1,387 IQ
Quote by Supernaut2k

They are hand assembled (or built as this guy put it) but the CNC machines get the wood to the stage where a person can "build" it into a guitar. It makes no sense to have a machine assemble them. Measuring a neck pocket and cutting it in the right place to the right dimensions, depth and is some cases angle is difficult, which is why a machine does it. Putting a machine head into a hole that a computerized machine drilled is not difficult, which is why people do it.

I don't get why people think machines are bad when it comes to making guitars, they are very accurate, consistent and save a lot of time. Even "handmade" stuff is at some degree made with the aid form machines, for example using a machine made neck pocket template.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Dec 19, 2012,
lfcagger
twat
637 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc

i know pete, he did a great job stoning and polishing the frets on my ibanez a while back. He's a good guy and if you still want it done, get him to do it.

Also, I know for a fact machett's have one of those LP Studio 50s guitars in store; or they did when I was in a couple of weeks ago
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^

yeah if matchetts has one in stock you could try it. dawsons in bangor (last time i was there, which was a while ago) had a fair few of the cheaper gibsons in stock so might be worth a look, too. I'm not as anti-buying-online as a lot of people, but gibson does have a bit of a rep for all-over-the-place QC. I'm not sure i'd buy a gibson online, in other words.
Quote by classicrocker01

digman50
Can't you hear me knockin
547 IQ
You can't do your own set-ups?

It's not hard to learn. It's doing fretwork that's an issue, even changing the nut shouldn't be beyond your average guitarist...
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by lfcagger
i know pete, he did a great job stoning and polishing the frets on my ibanez a while back. He's a good guy and if you still want it done, get him to do it.

Also, I know for a fact machett's have one of those LP Studio 50s guitars in store; or they did when I was in a couple of weeks ago

Once I get the cash for my guitar I'm for sure gonna give him a call to completely set it up.

Also they do have a 50 tribute in stock, but it has p90s, and I wanted the humbucker model
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by MegadethFan18
They are hand assembled (or built as this guy put it) but the CNC machines get the wood to the stage where a person can "build" it into a guitar. It makes no sense to have a machine assemble them. Measuring a neck pocket and cutting it in the right place to the right dimensions, depth and is some cases angle is difficult, which is why a machine does it. Putting a machine head into a hole that a computerized machine drilled is not difficult, which is why people do it.

I don't get why people think machines are bad when it comes to making guitars, they are very accurate, consistent and save a lot of time. Even "handmade" stuff is at some degree made with the aid form machines, for example using a machine made neck pocket template.

Exactly man. My Epi was made in china but it is FAR better quality than my Gibson out of the box (in terms of already set up, nice finish, Smooth frets which dont cut my hand etc.) Finish is outstanding and it sounds very good
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by digman50
You can't do your own set-ups?

It's not hard to learn. It's doing fretwork that's an issue, even changing the nut shouldn't be beyond your average guitarist...

I understand the concept of setting it up yourself and I can do the practical side of it, but it never translates into results. Like when I first tried to set intonation, moving the saddles back and forth had NO effect on the intonation whatsoever. It just seems to never work for me
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

yeah if matchetts has one in stock you could try it. dawsons in bangor (last time i was there, which was a while ago) had a fair few of the cheaper gibsons in stock so might be worth a look, too. I'm not as anti-buying-online as a lot of people, but gibson does have a bit of a rep for all-over-the-place QC. I'm not sure i'd buy a gibson online, in other words.

Sadly the one they have in stock isn't the humbucker model, it has p90s if they had the one I'm after I would definitely at least go and try It out

And ever since this happened to me I've been reading about issues with brand new gibsons. Very disheartening, I can agree with you on them having a rep regarding QC. Not to say they don't make amazing guitars... Just sometimes
griffin888
65 IQ
I don't understand this whole "traditional" or "handmade" argument. To not take advantage of modern technology and equipment because you like to "hand make" an inconsistent product just because it was how it used to be done doesn't make much sense. They built their guitars back then the way they did because they didn't have access to what is available today, that's it. Too many get all hyped up over this "handmade" thing.
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck
845 IQ
You need to check out the threads on Fastfude.org - a NI music forum. You will find luthiers and techs on there. Good friendly community.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by griffin888
I don't understand this whole "traditional" or "handmade" argument. To not take advantage of modern technology and equipment because you like to "hand make" an inconsistent product just because it was how it used to be done doesn't make much sense. They built their guitars back then the way they did because they didn't have access to what is available today, that's it. Too many get all hyped up over this "handmade" thing.

I guess some people are led to believe that a completely handmade guitar will sound better, and I can't se the logic in that
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by RubberSoul54321
You need to check out the threads on Fastfude.org - a NI music forum. You will find luthiers and techs on there. Good friendly community.

Thanks man I'll check that out
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
Sadly the one they have in stock isn't the humbucker model, it has p90s if they had the one I'm after I would definitely at least go and try It out

And ever since this happened to me I've been reading about issues with brand new gibsons. Very disheartening, I can agree with you on them having a rep regarding QC. Not to say they don't make amazing guitars... Just sometimes

ah right. i suppose it'd let you see if yours is a particularly bad one or not. But yeah if you want hums you wouldn't be buying it.

and yeah, that's the problem, i think. if you get a good one it's killer... but (and this is IMO) at the prices they charge, there shouldn't be anywhere near the number of QC problems there seem to be.
Quote by classicrocker01

Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
Quote by JJlespaul
I understand the concept of setting it up yourself and I can do the practical side of it, but it never translates into results. Like when I first tried to set intonation, moving the saddles back and forth had NO effect on the intonation whatsoever. It just seems to never work for me

That is scientifically impossible, lol

Anyways if you have a decent tuner it's very easy, I can't understand how people can pay for a setup (not that you are) instead of learning how, playing around a bit. Just don't be stupid and you won't hurt anything.
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Tempoe
That is scientifically impossible, lol

Anyways if you have a decent tuner it's very easy, I can't understand how people can pay for a setup (not that you are) instead of learning how, playing around a bit. Just don't be stupid and you won't hurt anything.

I know it seems extremely simple and it's very easy to do in theory. But I swear to god, when I moved those saddles there was NO intonation change. None at all. I ended up replacing the bridge (the metal retainer wire was rattling and pissing me off anyway) and that solved it and it was very easy to set the intonation.

When I get my new guitar im still gonna pay for a full set up. Just so i can completely rule out the fret buzz being temp and humidity fault
JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah right. i suppose it'd let you see if yours is a particularly bad one or not. But yeah if you want hums you wouldn't be buying it.

and yeah, that's the problem, i think. if you get a good one it's killer... but (and this is IMO) at the prices they charge, there shouldn't be anywhere near the number of QC problems there seem to be.

It's quite annoying seeing an amazing guitar with all the specs you want then seeing it has mini h buckers or p90s -_-

And I couldn't agree with you more on that second point, but there's many people who disagree and bash you on it
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ yeah (though of course the reverse is also true, for people who already have humbuckers having the option of p90s or mini-hums is a bonus).

And agreed regarding gibson. If you're saying, "gibson sucks, even the epiphones are better", then i agree, you're just a hater. But if you're pointing out that there shouldn't really be lemons (or at least, anywhere near the number of lemons) at the prices gibson charges, I don't see why that makes you a hater. Sure, you can try 50 and buy the best one. But (a) you shouldn't have to and (b) that also only really works if you're somewhere with a good enough guitar shop which actually has 50.
Quote by classicrocker01

JJlespaul
Banned
441 IQ
Had 7 calls about my guitar and amp already! Studio here I come