4 3%
I have a strong preference for electronic instruments
1 1%
Voters: 150.
Page 1 of 3
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Simple question: What's your preference about the 'realness' of a musical instrument that you're listening to? For the purposes of this thread, a 'real' instrument is one that creates sound acoustically through air movement or vibration of (parts of) the instrument.

I have a pretty strong preference for 'real' instruments. I enjoy the human element of performance and hearing people achieve something that I cannot do.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting that one is better than the other. If you are at the other end of the spectrum, that's koo
666atheist666
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan

I have a pretty strong preference for 'real' instruments. I enjoy the human element of performance and hearing people achieve something that I cannot do.

yea, this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
I tend to enjoy the timbre of 'real instruments' more, probably 'cuz that's what I'm familiar with. But like lots of music that's produced w/ virtual instruments sounds super incredible and I dig that kind of stuff too.

As far as virtual instruments trying to mimic irl instruments, I am not a fan. Is that what you mean?
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
When I'm listening to music I have no preference but I prefer playing 'real' instruments to electronic instruments. I might have a slight preference to 'real' instruments if I'm at a live show as well.

I like music with both but with all of that said I would say I have a slight bias towards 'real' instruments.

Edit:
Quote by due 07

As far as virtual instruments trying to mimic irl instruments, I am not a fan. Is that what you mean?

This too. I'd rather just use a synth for those parts than try to play it off as real (Even though I have used a virtual piano before).
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Dec 17, 2012,
food1010
Bassist
1,660 IQ
I voted option 1, but I think neither should be used at the expense of sound quality. I'd rather hear some really rich electronic sounds over some weak ass real sounds.

Radiohead gave me a lot of appreciation for electronic sounds because of how they mix it with bomb ass analog tone. As long as you have a commitment to creating a rich sound quality, you can use whatever you want to get there. I just feel like digital sounds often miss the mark.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Dec 17, 2012,
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
strong preference for real but not totally opposed to synth.
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
Don't care as long as it sounds good. Both can be shit, both can be nice.
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
750 IQ
I prefer the natural sounds of the acoustic instruments but I also can't live without my electric guitar.

I hate synths and other electronic music shizzles though
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Definite preference for real.

I get turned off from too clean production alone.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
I'll say slight preference. I like prog, and a lot of prog has synth and stuff.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
I prefer the real, mostly because a lot of, I guess "not real", or however you wanna label it, instruments have a specific sound that actually feels artificial. I don't like that much.
Funky_Fresh91
So fresh a so clean clean
130 IQ
I have a slight inclination towards electronic instruments tbh. I enjoy the massive variation of textures
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Quote by deadsmileyface
Are electric guitars a "real" instrument?

Partially. The initial sound is produced by acoustic vibration.
666atheist666
CroneR
Hip Zepi
1,052 IQ
So is an Electric Guitar thru a Fender Blues deluxe not considered a 'real' instrument for purposes of this thread?

And what are we comparing these 'real' instruments too?

To me, an instrument is an instrument. Even a Midi controller is an instrument too imo, because it's a tool to control software instruments.

But, if you are asking about Acoustic instruments like a Banjo, Mandolin, Classical/Acoustic Guitars, Harmonica, etc... I do LOVE those types of instruments. But they would be worthless without microphones and/or on-board electronics besides just playing for yourself or a VERY small audience.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,012 IQ
Quote by CroneR
To me, an instrument is an instrument. Even a Midi controller is an instrument too imo, because it's a tool to control software instruments.

Erm...congratulations?
666atheist666
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
Quote by due 07

lol I can guarantee someone like you couldn't even be able to tell a professional mockup from a real orchestra.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
deadsmileyface
jesse's dead
2,011 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
Partially. The initial sound is produced by acoustic vibration.

Okay then, as an electric guitarist, I have a strong preference for real instruments.

Some electronic instruments can sound good when used in the right places.
CroneR
Hip Zepi
1,052 IQ
Quote by StewieSwan
Erm...congratulations?

well thank you sir. Although, I do not really know why you are congratulating me.

but, good one. nice job.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
i have a strong preference for real instruments. because that means musicians are more than likely making money.
#DTWD
TheChaz
Other Barry
543 IQ
I don't have a preference for either one, but a lot of music made with electronic instruments is shitty. That has to do with a lack of creativity on the part of the musicians though, not the instruments.
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
No preference.

I think that acoustic performers can achieve a level of musicality and dynamics that computers just can't achieve yet. Maybe for an instrument like piano, they could get close. But take something like this and it'd be impossible for something like this to be created by a computer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpdUo__dM8

However, with Electronic instruments, they can create just gorgeous timbres and effects that can't be heard by acoustic instruments.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol I can guarantee someone like you couldn't even be able to tell a professional mockup from a real orchestra.

ok, s-sorry.
naedauuf
1,025 IQ
Quote by eGraham
I'll say slight preference. I like prog, and a lot of prog has synth and stuff.

I'd class synth as a real instrument. OP kind of goes both ways. He says a real insturment is two things: 1) Something that takes a humans skill to play 2) Something acoustic.

While it's not acoustic, it can take an incredible amount of skill to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O2aH4XLbto

That being said, I prefer the instrument that takes skill and sounds good. I just prefer a guitar over dubstep, not to say making music with a computer doesn't take still, but it takes WAY less than to actually learn an instrument. (I'm also aware this is a keyboard and midi controller, but you get what I mean).
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Dec 18, 2012,
Unourrit01
Rangers Suck
732 IQ
I prefer the sound of electronic music over the genres that use "real" instruments. The overall power you get from all frequencies is pretty hard to match from what I have gathered. Just my opinion.
Unourrit01
Rangers Suck
732 IQ
Quote by naedauuf

That being said, I prefer the instrument that takes skill and sounds good. I just prefer a guitar over dubstep, not to say making music with a computer doesn't take still, but it takes WAY less than to actually learn an instrument. (I'm also aware this is a keyboard and midi controller, but you get what I mean).

I know it is off topic but just pointing out that a HUGE part of any electronic music genre is producing. It takes just as long to become a very good producer as it does to become good at an instrument.
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
The timbre of real instruments is more pleasing to my ears, as opposed to digitally created imitations of "real" instruments.

Digital sounds aren't necessarily bad, but digital imitations are.
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by CodeMonk
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

I love the light tone of mayonnaise, how it tends to drift above the orchestra, light as a butterfly. It's an overlooked instrument, mayonnaise, most of the time. A true pity. It brings a clear, almost innocent sound to any ensemble.

Or am I thinking of an oboe?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

the bartender
UG's biology teacher
429 IQ
I prefer real instruments, it's just the feel man.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
JackalUK
979 IQ
Quote by CodeMonk
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

If I like the music, I don't care how its achieved.

Fill a bucket with it and hit it. It is now making acoustic sound waves and is therefore an instrument.
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
292 IQ
I like notes, sounds and melodies. That's it. I'm not some shamanistic hippy that finds it extremelyt moore soothing if the notes come from the wind.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,539 IQ
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I like notes, sounds and melodies. That's it. I'm not some shamanistic hippy that finds it extremelyt moore soothing if the notes come from the wind.

Well that's just like, your opinion. Man.

I'd like to be a shaman.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
Mayonnaise is a gustatory* instrument.

Gustatory perception is "taste."

Yes, I did just google it.
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
Slight preference for "real" instruments, but I'd probably classify analog synths maybe even some digital as "real" instruments.

I ****ing hate most MIDI-tastic sounds. That shit absolutely disgusts me in most cases and IMO electric keyboards that are just designed to replace pianos/organs almost always sound like shit.

That said, there is certainly a time and place for drum machines and sometimes they're used in really cool ways. I really hate an instrument that's entire design is to sound like another instrument. It's never quite right and I'd rather have something with a unique design that can be used in innovative ways as drum machines have become.

EDIT: My favorite sequencer/drum machine bit is at 2:17. Plus the whole track is just ****ing amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXj4HiwQFtM
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Dec 18, 2012,
naedauuf
1,025 IQ
Quote by Unourrit01
I know it is off topic but just pointing out that a HUGE part of any electronic music genre is producing. It takes just as long to become a very good producer as it does to become good at an instrument.

I don't know, if I put a solid week (like seven 24 hour days) into making a dubsteb song, I think I could probably make a decent one. Now how long would it take to make even a decent song using drums, bass, and guitar?

I'm not saying either one doesn't take any skill, but physical playing of an instrument takes way more skill than lining up beats on a computer. You have all the time you need to make it perfect. To perform, you hit play and it plays perfectly every time. Try playing perfectly every time with a 3 piece band. Impossible.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.