53 35%
I have a slight preference for electronic instruments
4 3%
I have a strong preference for electronic instruments
1 1%
Voters: 150.
Page 3 of 3
Quote by JackalUK
It's the Call Of Duty of the music world. The rest just look at us and go "twats, don't know anything outside of their flavour of the month"

This explains the duopoly on YouTube of '360 n0 sC0p3 4 lyf' and 'L3d z3p£lL1N $T4irw4y 2 H34v£n c0v3r' videos, and the fact that both are only ever watched by 16 year old basement-dwelling neckbeards.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I wasn't trying to make it sound like guitar is a prestigious instrument. I certainly believe that you're not any special kind of musician by knowing only guitar. Shit, I don't consider myself a musician in the slightest.

And for the record, I play guitar (whenever I do play an instrument), and have never made a piece of electronic music in my life. I also don't really listen to electronic music

then I don't understand what you're arguing.
Quote by chev311e
I wasn't trying to make it sound like guitar is a prestigious instrument. I certainly believe that you're not any special kind of musician by knowing only guitar. Shit, I don't consider myself a musician in the slightest.

then I don't understand what you're arguing.

That people who go 'electronic instrumentation is just pushing button and takes no skill' whilst tacitly implying that they're supremely skilled for being able to play guitar are being fatuous. If difficulty and intelligence are to be a measure, which they aren't, then it's clear that production is far more difficult than playing guitar is.

The fact I play guitar (and do so solely because it's a really easy instrument to get into and thus fills my minor desire to make music alongside pursuing things that interest me far more) doesn't mean I have to think it's the best instrument in any field.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Diamond Dave
when shit like this starts happening... real, very real and only real instruments please.

I don't mind this list. They shouldn't have called it the top 100 greatest guitarists though.
More like "top 100 innovative guitarists post 1970, and we don't like technique." then it makes sense.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Electronic music bores me to death. Prefer the real thing.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Electronic music bores me to death. Prefer the real thing.

The 'real thing' implying Electronic music isn't real music?

Slight preference for real. Only slight because I often couldn't tell the difference, and synths can be pretty sweet.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing

I mean, really...as long as the end product (read: music) sounds good, who gives a shit whether the instrument was real or simulated?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 18, 2012,
Quote by willT08

That's not what I said. I like listening to stuff played on a "real" (can't think of a better word to use. I guess 'traditional') instrument. Like a guitar or piano or bass or whatever.

I'm not saying that electronic music doesn't take skill, I just like hearing things played with the human element. I like to be all 'cool, how did they do that,' like Stewie said in the OP.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils

I'm not saying that electronic music doesn't take skill, I just like hearing things played with the human element. I like to be all 'cool, how did they do that,' like Stewie said in the OP.

You wanna listen to Electronic stuff then. I think that about almost every sound I hear. There's only like, 2 or 3 sounds I can pick out that I know exactly how they're made and they're just simple plucks and electro basses
The one question I have is what do Stewie (as our TS) and the rest of you think of plugging an electric guitar into a PC and using AmpSims to simulate the sound of an electric guitar plugged into a physical amplifier?

Real instrumentation? Or not?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The one question I have is what do Stewie (as our TS) and the rest of you think of plugging an electric guitar into a PC and using AmpSims to simulate the sound of an electric guitar plugged into a physical amplifier?

Real instrumentation? Or not?

You're still playing a guitar. What's the difference what's it's plugged into?

Also, I realize I shouldn't have used "real" in my posts. Because it's still music. I just can't think of a better word to use there. :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
You're still playing a guitar. What's the difference what's it's plugged into?

Ok. What about using the synth setting on an electric keyboard? Real or not?
Quote by willT08
You wanna listen to Electronic stuff then. I think that about almost every sound I hear. There's only like, 2 or 3 sounds I can pick out that I know exactly how they're made and they're just simple plucks and electro basses

I cannot agree with this enough. The amount of automation/knob twisting I have to use to just get a simple 3 second synth sound would surprise people who do not know how to write that music. Its all about the sounds you can make through either movement and/or tone. I have been writing electronic music for about a year now and im just now producing material that is listenable. Another thing we are not mentioning is that a majority of electronic producers were instrumentalists first.
Quote by Unourrit01
Another thing we are not mentioning is that a majority of electronic producers were instrumentalists first.

Which is relevant how?

It's great that they know something about music. I don't see what you're trying to say by pointing that out.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Which is relevant how?

It's great that they know something about music. I don't see what you're trying to say by pointing that out.

towards the argument of them being less talented because that is pretty much being said if you are saying it is easier to write their type of music. Most usually have a background playing "real" instruments.

EDIT: You as in the other side of the argument. Not you directly.
Quote by Unourrit01
towards the argument of them being less talented because that is pretty much being said if you are saying it is easier to write their type of music. Most usually have a background playing "real" instruments.

EDIT: You as in the other side of the argument. Not you directly.

Ok, ok. Now I get it.

Btw, I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing or being condescending or whatever. I apologize if you thought any of those. I was mainly just trying to get a feel for your views.

Cool?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, ok. Now I get it.

Btw, I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing or being condescending or whatever. I apologize if you thought any of those. I was mainly just trying to get a feel for your views.

Cool?

I actually thought that maybe I should clarify on that point but my mind wondered elsewhere haha.
I love both 'real' and electronic instruments. They both have their own part to fill, they can't substitute oneanother.
i mean i just like how real instruments sound. if you have synth that can duplicate a real instrument to a point that i can't tell the difference then i am satisfied.

that said, the synth "sound" (as if there is only one style.. stay with me) definitely adds to a lot of songs with real instruments, but by itself i quickly lose interest. that said, i haven't really dabbled much in that area of music.
Quote by Ziphoblat
I just can't understand this opinion at all. Your definition of musician must be seriously skewed or incorrect if you wouldn't apply it to somebody such as Richard D. James.

I admit my wording probably wasn't stellar. it's not that the one guy isn't a musician, it's that he's not utilizing the services of other musicians to play his music. I'd always rather eight musicians get paid than just one.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
I'd always rather eight musicians get paid than just one.

That would be ideal. I'm very conflicted with this issue. The availability of high end sample instruments are killing opportunities for live players in film sessions, and I directly facilitate that by developing and using these instruments. And yet at the end of the day, we all know there's nothing greater and more satisfying than a real performance. But no one wants to pay for it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ok. What about using the synth setting on an electric keyboard? Real or not?

Well if he's actually playing a keyboard than sure I guess.

I just like the human element. I would be much more impressed with some who can do something really cool on the drums than someone who just programmed it into a computer.
Same with any instrument really

Plus, I don't really like the sound of electronic music. I've yet to hear a band/person/whatever that I really enjoy listening to. It's all personal preference though, idc what you like. More power to ya
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 18, 2012,
Quote by willT08

Bingo.

Quote by korinaflyingv
electronic music is for tasteless apes

Also true.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Dec 18, 2012,
Because it takes practise.

Edit - "To sound good on a musical instrument."
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Dec 18, 2012,
Quote by willT08

Supersaws are for Trance. Now I really want to hear your avant-garde Dubstep.

ill do avant garde dubstep when you teach skrillex how to play zappa fusion crunk core on xylophone.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I mean, really...as long as the end product (read: music) sounds good, who gives a shit whether the instrument was real or simulated?

People that enjoy the performance aspect of music. How hard is that to understand?

OT:

I really love this song, but I feel I would enjoy it so much more if it wasn't digitally created. It's hard to explain. The thought of gathering ~20 skilled musicians and having them create something beautiful is just a very romantic idea to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZw1yVW_O5s
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 18, 2012,
Quote by Diamond Dave
when shit like this starts happening... real, very real and only real instruments please.

Not sure what's worse, that Skrillex is on the list at all or that Annie Clarke is only #93. St. Vincent is bomb dig. Either way, I didn't read past the first page.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I have no preference, honestly. I know I'm sort of known as a total synth nut on here (or at least I was for a while -- I haven't really made any music in a while and I never post in the Electronic Label thread anymore, or even much outside of the Anime Thread and the Gaming Thread, so I probably don't have much of a reputation anymore other than "one of those creepy guys from the Anime Thread"), but I really like all sorts of instruments.

Anyway, here's a great quote from Jonny Greenwood on this subject from a Q&A that apparently was on their website:

QUESTION:
Kid A was a total change of direction for the band. Was everyone committed to this new direction? How did Jonny feel about focussing more on keyboards than guitar?

ANSWER:
I don't remember much time playing keyboards. It was more an obsession with sound, speakers, the whole artifice of recording. I see it like this: a voice into a microphone onto a tape, onto your CD, through your speakers is all as illusory and fake as any synthesizer - it doesn't put Thom in your front room - but one is perceived as 'real' the other, somehow 'unreal'. I'm straying from the point. What was the point ? Well, it's the same with guitars versus samplers. It was just freeing to discard the notion of accoustic sounds being truer. The inverted snobbery amongst some people even extends to keyboards. Mellotrons are 'truer' than Synths, apparently. But remember that hearing a band rehearse will never be the same coming from two speakers. That's fine. Of course, you want your music still to sound beatiful, or to somehow make you react. It's not about just spuring tradition, or rationalizing rubbish because it's 'different'. SO we'll still fill tapes with violins and guitars as much as anything else. Whatever sounds cool. Whatever isn't boring. Whatever is addictive.And ANYWAY There's nothing like a guitar for physically making music - like a drumkit for making rhythms - so I don't get bored playing the thing. I've been telling people, glibly, that there's so little guitar on the new stuff because there are only five Pixies albums, and there are other sounds out there. They hit at their instruments in striving to not be boring - whilst avoiding muso drudgery. Remember the advert The Pixies placed to get Kim Deal (the only applicant):"Band into Husker Du and Peter, Paul and Mary seeks bass player. No Chops."

Didn't edit the typos or cut anything out, so just pretend there's one gigantic "[sic]" after it. You can find a redacted form of it floating around a lot more, but this is the full thing.
Quote by treborillusion
Because it takes practise.

Edit - "To sound good on a musical instrument."

It takes practice to get good at synthesis.

Kind of a bitch when you've gotta make your sound before you can learn how to play it.
if the sound and/or production is of an appropriate standard and the tone isn't awful, im indifferent
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Xiaoxi
That would be ideal. I'm very conflicted with this issue. The availability of high end sample instruments are killing opportunities for live players in film sessions, and I directly facilitate that by developing and using these instruments. And yet at the end of the day, we all know there's nothing greater and more satisfying than a real performance. But no one wants to pay for it.

yeah. unfortunately, session work is dead in that realm. it kind of parallels a lot of labor problems in this country. technology replacing people. when it comes to live performance is my main concern. but I'm not too worried because the demand may be smaller for live bands, but like you said nothing beats the real thing. I went to a wedding with an iPod DJ at the reception. it was pretty lame and everyone knew it. everybody got into the Cupid Shuffle and Cha Cha slide and that was about it. otherwise no dancing. live bands can make the difference between a sufficient party and a fun, memorable party.

what bugs me more than public tastes changing and budgets shrinking is the motherfuckers who will play for little to no money because it's a fun hobby. some people like woodworking as a hobby. doesn't mean you have to actively attempt to put the union carpenters out of work.
#DTWD
Page 3 of 3