Page 2 of 4
I like a classy watch, but not enough to go bust my bank buying one.

My watch, which I did enjoy wearing, got real scratched up so I haven't worn it in about 2 years.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Watches have 2 purposes:

1. To tell time
2. To display social status

My phone does the first one just fine and I couldn't care less about the second one, so fuck watches.
Check out my band Disturbed
I've actually been looking into buying a watch for a little while now, but they're just so damn expensive. I want to get a "casual-esque" one with a leather strap.

It's hard for me to justify the coin on a really nice watch when it's going to be pretty much only for appearances.
Stewie, I agree with you, but something about checking the time on a watch just seems more respectful to me than on a phone.

For instance, in a restaurant, I'd much rather take a look at my wrist than have to take out my phone. Could just be me, though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
Stewie, I agree with you, but something about checking the time on a watch just seems more respectful to me than on a phone.

For instance, in a restaurant, I'd much rather take a look at my wrist than have to take out my phone. Could just be me, though.

Are pocketwatches disrespectful?
I would say not. I think I see where you're coming from, having to pull it out of a pocket, though.

I honestly can't explain why I see checking a phone as being disrespectful
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by eGraham
I would say not. I think I see where you're coming from, having to pull it out of a pocket, though.

Either one could be construed as disrespectful. Watch watching (lol) usually suggests that you're uncomfortable and eager to leave.
Quote by eGraham

Because phones put you in contact with other people, implying the company you're in isn't good enough for you.

Same reason a person checking their watch (or pocketwatch) whilst you're talking to them is considered disrespectful.

As a general rule, don't check the time when engaged in conversation and you'll be fine. But a watch looks hella classier
Quote by eGraham

Because it just is that's why. In some fine dining establishments, you actually give them your phone before sitting. Being preocupied with your phone is a sign of disrespect in many scenarios, not just dining.
Quote by StewieSwan
Either one could be construed as disrespectful. Watch watching (lol) usually suggests that you're uncomfortable and eager to leave.

Yea, I thought of this as well. My post was originally a mess. What ended up is a very condensed version lol.

Quote by willT08
Because phones put you in contact with other people, implying the company you're in isn't good enough for you.

This is something else similar to what I said in my post before I deleted most of it. He just worded it in a more straight-forward manner.

I also agree that you should avoid any distractions during conversation. Phone, watch, or otherwise.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

every watch i've ever owned has broken.

so, no, i do not like watches.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
It'd be cool to have a watch, but I have tiny wrists so watches always look ridiculous on me :C haaaalp
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
I've actually seen a guy pull out a pocketwatch mid conversation and it was rude as hell.

EDIT ^^^ I have tiny wrists as well. Just go to a watch place and have them stick in a hole on the strap for you, it'll cost ya like 2 bucks. And for god sake don't do it yourself.
My father bought one that costs $30,000 a long time ago, he refuses to sell it, because he's an idiot.

I don't like watches. If I need to tell the time, I use a phone/a clock/other people. If I did get a watch, it wouldn't cost more than 10 bucks. Does it tell time? Beautiful, so it does what it should do.
Why not just have a watch to look nice? There's only a handful of things dudes can wear to bling it up. Watches, sunglasses, shoes, belt if the shirt's tucked in. I want to buy a $550 pair of alligator skin Chuck Taylors just to ****ing have them.

When I'm buying a watch I'm not buying it for its time-telling capabilities. I'm buying it 'cause it's a sexy god damned watch.
Last edited by Seref at Dec 19, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15

I have a watch like that but with a dark face thingie rather than it being all light. It looks decent and I can easily tell the time. That's all I need.

I have a super nice watch too but I only wear it when I'm demonstrating my wealth to poor people.

That's actually a damn nice watch.

When I get more money, I'm gonna see if I can get a nice cheap smaller one. But I'll get one.

The one I'm on now is a bit too big for my tastes. Big tachymeter watch.

Anyway, definitely analog, looks so much nicer. I even have an analog clock widget on my phone
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by WCPhils
I got one for graduation that I never wear.

What's the point? I have a phone.

To look important and wealthy.
you're a stone fox
Quote by willT08
I've actually seen a guy pull out a pocketwatch mid conversation and it was rude as hell.

EDIT ^^^ I have tiny wrists as well. Just go to a watch place and have them stick in a hole on the strap for you, it'll cost ya like 2 bucks. And for god sake don't do it yourself.

I don't just mean for the strap, but the actual size of the face of the watch emphasizes tiny wrists. It seems like nice watches always have a big face, whereas smaller faces belong to kiddie watches, or really colorful-weird-un-cool-hipster watches.
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Quote by Seref
Why not just have a watch to look nice? There's only a handful of things dudes can wear to bling it up. Watches, sunglasses, shoes, belt if the shirt's tucked in. I want to buy a $550 pair of alligator skin Chuck Taylors just to ****ing have them.

When I'm buying a watch I'm not buying it for its time-telling capabilities. I'm buying it 'cause it's a sexy god damned watch.

That's okay for you, because that's what you want. Shit, go ahead and buy a $2m watch, I couldn't care less, because it doesn't affect me. I'd love a nice looking watch, but "nice" shouldn't cost the price of two years' rent.
Fob watch, bitches.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I think I've got a watch for Christmas from my brother. But I'm pretty picky when it comes to these things, it'd be annoying if it wasn't my style and I either had to exchange it or just never wear it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Saint78
To look important and wealthy.

Sounds good, maybe I'll start wearing mine.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 19, 2012,
Quote by WCPhils
Sounds goos, maybe I'll start wearing mine.

I asked for one for xmas
you're a stone fox
Quote by Hydra150
I think I've got a watch for Christmas from my brother. But I'm pretty picky when it comes to these things, it'd be annoying if it wasn't my style and I either had to exchange it or just never wear it.

That's exactly what happened with my 18th birthday gift.

I don't like that trait in me, it makes me feel like an asshole (no offence)

I'm the same with coats. Dear god no one ever get me a coat. I'm very picky..'cause if I don't feel comfortable in it, I become extremely self conscious.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Saint78
I asked for one for xmas

I need to get links taken out of mine. It's waaay to big. Looks ridiculous.

It's nice though. It was a graduation present from my uncle so I'm not exactly sure how much it was. Probably 80-100 bucks.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I have a fairly expensive watch which I got for my 18th, and I wear it all the time.
I also have a cheaper (but still nice looking) Swatch for when I'm going on holiday and anywhere I could lose my good watch.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
I don't wear a watch cuz I'm living in 2012.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
what I wear everyday:

What I wear on special occasions/when I want to look extra fly:

What I'm about to buy after I get some christmas money:

2 watches that I hope to own one day:

and

MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Never really cared for them. I just got a job in sales though and I reckon I'll get one to wear with my fancy clothes and make me look more professional and important.
I find them uncomfortable and my mobile tells me the time anyway. So no, I don't wear one. Haven't since I was 12.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I've been getting a Wal-Mart watch every year for like 6 years, but they look nice and tell time. Not the most durable things, but for like $20 they're good. I'm wearing an Elgin now, I'm not sure where my sister got it from (not Wal-Mart), but it's too big and I still haven't gotten a link taken out a year later and can't find kits small enough to do it myself. It's cheap, because she was going to get me MW3, but said it was too expensive, and I've had people offer up to like $200 for it, I'm not really sure why I never took the offers. I also got it wet, and the digital side with the military time and date shorted out, but it at least has a nice analog side that works great..
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Gotta go analog, and anything other than a leather strap or something similar is too flashy and not as stylish (ie. metal straps). I like the idea of a pocket-watch, but I can't see it being easy to pull off without seeming too "try-hard".

Going with a vintage or a modern watch with a classic band is the best option for a stylish accessory. There a oodles upon oodles of examples, so I'm not going to post any. But I strongly believe that what I described is the most fashionable choice for the modern man or woman.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------