Darkflame
officialBOSS pedals hater
315 IQ

excuse the crappy pictures, I spend so much on gear I don't have any money for a decent camera.

Story time. If you don't care about it and just want to know my impressions, jump to the next line break
For a long time now, I've been wanting a real high-end guitar. I've been playing for years, and lately, I've been craving a special and super good guitar. You can see most of my other gear in my sig, it's pretty decent, but the highest end guitar in there is a Musicman Silhouette I want to sell because I don't like it. Then, it's a Gibson tribute 60s LP.
Also, I'm getting my degree from university in April, so I decided I wanted to get a cool guitar for that. I'm finishing my 4th and last internship tomorrow, so I'm quite happy these days.
Two weeks ago, while browsing around on Musiciansfriend, I noticed they had a Gibson Les Paul Standard for 1650$ and I hesitated a lot, until the price got back up to around 2099$ (sale price). I regretted not getting it afterwards, especially since it was a Chicago Blue finish and it was the one I've been craving for SOOOO long now.
Of course, last week, they did the same with the Traditional Plus LP. This time, I was ready and I bought it as soon as I saw it happen. The other finishes were going for 1949$, but they were selling the CB for 1600. I live in Canada, and they retail for around 2300 dollars in store, so basically, I could easily sell it back for more than what I paid for if I ever decided I didn't like it.

So, what do I think about it?
The craftsmanship is flawless. I have never had any problem with any Gibson guitar I played, even though complaining about their QC is the hip thing to do. The binding is perfectly fine, the finish is, as you can see, beautiful, and there is not a single dent/ding/anything on it. It was obviously out of tune when it came in, but intonation was perfectly fine. Action is decent as well, but the pickups are pretty high. Especially the bridge one.
The back is a single piece of mahogany, and the top is a pair of bookmatched maple pieces. They look very very good. The neck feels amazing, is super straight, and in general, the guitar just screams "I'M MADE OF PURE QUALITY! PLAY ME!". The '57 classics pickups are extremely clear sounding, I can hear every note in every chord I play, and the tone is both warm and extremely clear.
While the guitar is heavy, it is not as heavy as I thought it would be. I have a '77 Ibanez lawsuit LP that I always thought felt and looked like an actual Gibby (and I still feel like it does now that I own one) and I was sure the Trad would be heavier, but it actually isn't.
Due to the very bad weather we are having today, the guitar is still a bit cold, even after being here for a few hours, but it'll get better. That doesn't help the tuning stability, however.
Overall, I am impressed. :-)

Lot of bad pictures:

(Note: it looks like dents, but it's actually some plush from the case)

I am recording an audio clip so that everyone can hear how awesome this thing sounds =)
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
250 IQ
Happy Blue Guitar Day!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
they always come with the pups too high.

beautiful LP there darkflame.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
I K0nijn I
110 IQ
Looking good! HNGD! Never seen this finish before.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Darkflame
315 IQ
And now that the pickups are lowered, I am actually noticing that the strings are almost a centimeter away from the high frets. Going to play with that a bit. Clip's going to wait

Quote by I K0nijn I
Looking good! HNGD! Never seen this finish before.

It's called Chicago Blue, check it out on their website It has a teal tint when I have light above it, it's beautiful. I believe they introduced it last year, but it seems it's not as popular as the others.. Paranoid as I am, I also grabbed it while I could because for some reason I feel like they'll stop producing this finish soon =(
Last edited by Darkflame at Dec 19, 2012,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
HNGD! I got a Traditional the floor other day.

A thing of beauty. Good stuff!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

ChrisBlock
10 IQ
HNGD, traditionals are so much better than the new standards IMO
Guitars :
Gibson LP Traditional
Gibson SG Special (Pimped the hell out)
Music Man JP6
Fender Am. Special Tele
Guild DV-6
Amps :
Egnater Armageddon//Custom cabinets
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
that top is awesome. it's not a perfect flame, it's wavey and uneven.

i dig on that.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Darkflame
315 IQ
^Exactly how I feel. Kind of a... wait for it...
dark flame.
WOOOOOOOOO

There are some ripples in the finish, it looks super good, I love it Kind of as if they were stains, but they look too good to be called stains.

The case smells new and I just made the mistake of eating pizza in my room. For some reason, my bedroom now smells strawberry shortcake.
OH I want to try something... I'll take a panorama picture with my Nexus 10, and then I'll be able to do a family picture without actually putting all my stuff in a row like I did on my rig picture. I'll do that as soon as I'm done eating.
Last edited by Darkflame at Dec 19, 2012,
Darkflame
315 IQ
Going to double post, but I have a question for the gurus.
Gibson just released the new line of 2013 trad LPs. The main difference is that they are no longer weight relieved. I am now wondering if the one that's sitting on my lap right now is a 2012 or a 2013... It left the factory on September 19th, if it helps at all. Would anyone have a clue? MF didn't say anything about it.
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
100 IQ
Darkflame, UG has decided to answer your question after you post said family picture.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
Quote by Darkflame
Going to double post, but I have a question for the gurus.
Gibson just released the new line of 2013 trad LPs. The main difference is that they are no longer weight relieved. I am now wondering if the one that's sitting on my lap right now is a 2012 or a 2013... It left the factory on September 19th, if it helps at all. Would anyone have a clue? MF didn't say anything about it.

the first and fifth of the serial number will be the last two digits of the year of manufacture.

so it's a 2012.

weight relief is the 9 quarter sized swiss cheese holes that they've had since 1982. i wouldn't sweat that as the new ones, if completely solid, will likely weigh more.
Quote by Darkflame
^Exactly how I feel. Kind of a... wait for it...
dark flame.
WOOOOOOOOO

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 19, 2012,
Darkflame
315 IQ
Yeah I know it was made in 2012 :-) But I've read that Gibson is already producing and selling the 2013 line, and some people already own them. I don't mind the swiss cheese holes, I'm just curious to know what I own, but it doesn't really matter hehehe... I just played that guitar for 5 hours straight and my fingers are all black now. Weird.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
1,160 IQ
they may have already started with the new specs, i'd email them and ask.

oh that smell is vanilla, i forgot to mention that. it's the case interior.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
800 IQ
Hngd. The finish is sexy as hell. Lose the scratch plate and put some black knobs on it then it'll be awesome.
gerrywm
40 IQ
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Hngd. The finish is sexy as hell. Lose the scratch plate and put some black knobs on it then it'll be awesome.

Yes yes yes..... like this https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475800

HNGD!!!! Welcome to the blue Gibson club! Didnt thik you could get the trads in blue. The trads were by a mile my fave LP's untill I tried the LE standards

Actually the white pic guard looks pretty good, always wondered what mine would look like with one
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
Last edited by gerrywm at Dec 20, 2012,
RockGuitarist09
90 IQ
I don't think they've put out the new traditionals yet, so i'm 99% certain that yours will have the weight relief. I just bought an Iced tea, i'll probably post a NGD tomorrow or the weekend.
Darkflame
315 IQ
Quote by RockGuitarist09
I don't think they've put out the new traditionals yet, so i'm 99% certain that yours will have the weight relief. I just bought an Iced tea, i'll probably post a NGD tomorrow or the weekend.

I might be wrong (and most likely am, I haven't really followed the news so much lately), but I saw someone on the Gibson boards mention they had received a 2013 trad and it was heavy as hell. Oh well, whatever, mine is the best in the world