sashki
6,650 IQ
So I'm sure many of you have heard a while ago about the horrible working conditions at the Foxconn plant in China, best known for manufacturing Apple products.
However, Foxconn is one of the largest electronics manufacturers in the world, and produce equipment that is sold under various brand names, including (but not limited to) Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Nintendo, Sony, Samsung and Microsoft.

When you buy a computer, how do you know what conditions it was made in?
Is there anything the consumer can do to provide better working conditions? Other manufacturers exist, but who knows what their employees have to go through.

On one side, we need technology, but on the other, is it right to support an industry that drives workers to suicide? What can we as consumers do to stop this? Would you be willing to pay more for electronics if it meant better working conditions for the employees?

EDIT: Ok, we don't need technology, but there is a huge demand. Is it worth making other people suffer to meet that demand?
Last edited by sashki at Dec 20, 2012,
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by sashki
So I'm sure many of you have heard a while ago about the horrible working conditions at the Foxconn plant in China, best known for manufacturing Apple products.
However, Foxconn is one of the largest electronics manufacturers in the world, and produce equipment that is sold under various brand names, including (but not limited to) Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba, Nintendo, Sony, Samsung and Microsoft.

When you buy a computer, how do you know what conditions it was made in?
Is there anything the consumer can do to provide better working conditions? Other manufacturers exist, but who knows what their employees have to go through.

On one side, we need technology, but on the other, is it right to support an industry that drives workers to suicide? What can we as consumers do to stop this? Would you be willing to pay more for electronics if it meant better working conditions for the employees?

No we don't
/worm can

Anyways, the main thing consumers can do is voice their opinion or refuse to buy products they know were made under such conditions. Of course this usually means paying more, and being inconvenienced in the search for alternative products. And most people aren't willing to make those sacrifices.
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
It's not one of the things I consider when buying electronic equipment or anything else for that matter. It's not that I'm unaware of poor conditions for factory workers, it's just that it's extremely easy to forget where items come from when you come to buy them.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,166 IQ
Boycotts work relatively well. I can't say that I've ever boycotted something because of worker conditions, though. I don't own apple, if that makes you feel better, TS.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
There's pretty much no way around buying electronics that aren't made with exploited labor. Ironically, Apple is going to be trying out US manufacturing next year.

Aside from extremely low wages, China has way more line level engineers. Even if most US companies wanted to manufacture stuff in the US, there isn't enough of those engineers to make it viable.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 20, 2012,
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
I thought this thread was going to be about all the lazy pricks that sue companies and shamelessly avoid responsibility; Such as the people suing mcdonalds for making them fat, Or the guy recently driving on the wrong side of the highway because his gps told him to.

oh well...
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.