Page 1 of 2
Should I trade my American Std Strat (2011):

for a 90s ESP Eclipse (NOS condition):

PS: The pictures of the esp are not the pictures of the exact guitar, but it is really close, almost identical in looks.

Thanks in advance!
Yes.
You should also adopt a pygmy.
Drive a Yugo
Refrain from eating meat
and wear platform shoes

Dude, how the heck should we know what you should do? You didnt give any reasons for asking the question in the first place.

I'll tell you this: the Strat will hold value better in the long run if that counts for any thing.
Quote by Axe Murderer
I'll tell you this: the Strat will hold value better in the long run if that counts for any thing.

That's what I was wondering. Thanks.
looking at it objectively, i wouldnt, since the strat like the guy said, holds more value, its more versatile, having HSS pups, and its sexier. why would you even trade it in the first place? do you need buckers in the neck position?
How are we supposed to know if you should?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
That ESP looks like part of the series they used to make that was essentially what LTD is now.
Play the ESP and if you really love it, then consider it. But on paper, I think it's a bad deal.
Yeah keep the strat, you be swap-raped in a straight up trade for that ESP. The green is very cool though.
Quote by captainsnazz
The answer to this is always subjective according to value and tastes.

But it depends on your requirements and if you intend to sell it on. You haven't really told us enough.

FTFY
The ESP has an extra 2 frets. You also have to consider the sound of the single coils as opposed to the sound of the humbuckers.
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
As on par with the general consensus, I would say keep the Strat. The ESP is a nice guitar for sure, but the Strat is more versatile, will hold the value better, and is generally a classy axe. I personally wouldn't buy a Strat (can't stand the necks on em for some reason), so if I was in your position, i WOULD trade for it, but that's just me.
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
I wouldn't trade that Strat for anything except a Fender Select, a Custom shop or a Gibson LP Custom. And a Jem and certain high end PRS would be a consideration.

It's a unique guitar, very pretty and will retain its value and probably increase in value over time.

If you have always wanted that ESP then maybe the personal value will eclipse (see what I did there) the value of the Strat for you, but unless money is no object you should hang onto that Fender for as long as you can.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 21, 2012,
Quote by Mephaphil
I wouldn't trade that Strat for anything except a Fender Select, a Custom shop or a Gibson LP Custom. And a Jem and certain high end PRS would be a consideration.

It's a unique guitar, very pretty and will retain its value and probably increase in value over time.

If you have always wanted that ESP then maybe the personal value will eclipse (see what I did there) the value of the Strat for you, but unless money is no object you should hang onto that Fender for as long as you can.

This.

But if you don't want your strat, I'll take it off your hands.
just looking at them, no, im not a fan of strats at all, in fact, i hate them, but the one you have is a great guitar, looks great sounds great, the esp looks silly, green and the maple neck, no thinks. keep the strat mate, better guitar.
Quote by ilikekfc
just looking at them, no, im not a fan of strats at all, in fact, i hate them, but the one you have is a great guitar, looks great sounds great, the esp looks silly, green and the maple neck, no thinks. keep the strat mate, better guitar.

Are you SURE you hate them? I mean, are you sure? Because that is quintessentially a Strat lol, it couldn't be more of a Strat if it ****ing tried. It's so strat like it makes all other strats look like teles... (except the white, red and black ones)

Lol.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Dec 21, 2012,
It's really up to you, but what I can tell you is that the Strat you own is gorgeous, and that ESP is hideous.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It's really up to you, but what I can tell you is that the Strat you own is gorgeous, and that ESP is hideous.

This. My eyes get excited when i look at that maple. Ohboy.

Do i have a problem

Maybe i should have high quality examples of maple around the house, as someone would have fine art.

Anyone else getting this?

If you have nothing wrong with the strat, why get rid of it?

Its a lovely example.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Not sure why so many are saying the Fender is worth more...you can pick up either any time on the used market for pretty much the same price (~$750).

Can you play it? There's really no way for us to tell you if you should, other than it's objective monetary value (which is the same).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As far as I know, only low end ESPs (i.e. LTDs) have bolt on necks...
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
As far as I know, only low end ESPs (i.e. LTDs) have bolt on necks...

For a brief time, I believe right before LTD was started, ESP made cheaper, bolt on versions of their popular guitars (Eclipse, Horizon and Mirage, I believe, though a lot of Mirages are bolt on anyway). They're probably around Edwards quality overall, I'd assume.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
For a brief time, I believe right before LTD was started, ESP made cheaper, bolt on versions of their popular guitars (Eclipse, Horizon and Mirage, I believe, though a lot of Mirages are bolt on anyway). They're probably around Edwards quality overall, I'd assume.

In that case I'd keep the Strat, though you really have to play 'em both
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Thanks for your replies!

I was asking about such things as value and overall quality. I think I will keep my
strat!
Are you sure that that is an American Standard? It looks like a higher end model to me..
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Quote by terribleguitar
Should I trade my American Std Strat (2011):

Gorgeous looking strat!
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Quote by mark66saints
Are you sure that that is an American Standard? It looks like a higher end model to me..

It is. However, it has been modded since I bought it in New York on 01.01.2012. I swapped the pickguard, got a SH-6 in the bridge, an SSL-5 in the neck, swapped the tuners for mid-90s locking Sperzels. I am looking forward to install a LSR roller nut and a Schaller tremolo.
I know that I don't post in here much, so please don't jump on me like a trampoline, but the finish on the ESP is damned purrdy.
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Last edited by coco-loco at Dec 22, 2012,
No.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Had to weigh in, that stat looks awesome; I always feel like I want something new, but my strat is a staple. I'll never get rid of it, and if I want something new, I'd just buy it.

Nothing worse then trading and then a few months down the road, wishing you had your old guitar.
Quote by Glenn Guitar

Do i have a problem

Maybe i should have high quality examples of maple around the house, as someone would have fine art.

Anyone else getting this?

If you have nothing wrong with the strat, why get rid of it?

Its a lovely example.

The ESP is really ugly. I would rather have the wangocaster.
Quote by desperatechris
The ESP is really ugly. I would rather have the wangocaster.

There's something wrong with you people. The ESP looks good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The things I would do to have a Strat like that... If you do the trade I think I'm gonna cry.
I'd keep the strat
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by Glenn Guitar

Do i have a problem

I'm the same way. Maple is a freaking amazing wood.
Quote by Mephaphil
Are you SURE you hate them? I mean, are you sure? Because that is quintessentially a Strat lol, it couldn't be more of a Strat if it ****ing tried. It's so strat like it makes all other strats look like teles... (except the white, red and black ones)

Lol.

well, i did say, the one he has is a great guitar, the strats like the cheaper american ones and mexican ones just feel cheap and boring, i have played the same strat as his and i liked it, but playing others.. nah, they just feel boring.
Hello guys,
Eevn though I guess you are not really interested in the outcome, just wanted you to know that I kept the strat. The ESP, while being a beauty in person, didn't feel right to me. It was so small! I felt like a giant when holding it.
Page 1 of 2