I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on writing and recording a solo project. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I'm having trouble actually bringing it all together. I can play all the instruments, I can record myself. But it's more of a structural problem. Like I'll write a cool riff, but then have trouble with transitions, or writing a good chorus that I could write lyrics to. Or maybe I should write lyrics first? It seems easier to write with a band because everyone is only responsible for their own parts, and you can just jam it out. Or is it easier to start on bass first, or drums?
I start with a vocal melody and some simple chords. I'll spin that vocal melody into some lyrics, or I'll spin a lyric into a simple vocal melody.

Gradually, the simple chords become more fleshed-out guitar arrangements, and the drums and bass kinda suggest themselves from there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Personally, I take a bit of a top-down approach. I start with lyrics and the melody (one seems to suggest the other, usually), then figure out what key it's in and get a chord progression. From there, as chris says, the drums and bass just kinda fill themselves in.

Solos, etc. are usually the last to happen regardless.