I am thinking of putting a brass nut and replacement saddles on a les paul, so i am able to get a chimey fenderish tone, and still able to get a warm tone via amp and guitar tone controls.

Would this be feasible, and would there be any downsides to this?
That's a pretty simple job, and trying it out wont hurt anything.

Although, having never played with a brass nut for more than a few minutes, I have no idea how much difference it may or may not make - I doubt it would be huge though.

EDIT -
The post below makes a very good point about the nut and fretted notes - I have no idea if it's as simple as that or not, but it's a very good point. I also agree that a coil-split would be a fantastic idea if that's the sound you wanted.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Dec 26, 2012,
After you fret a note, doesnt it basically take the nut out of the equation sound-wise?

If the bridge swap doesnt give you the sound you want i'd think about splitting the coils.
Quote by mutex77
After you fret a note, doesnt it basically take the nut out of the equation sound-wise?

If the bridge swap doesnt give you the sound you want i'd think about splitting the coils.

Beat me to it.
try stainless steel strings first for that extra bite. Having watched a few videos with brass bits added (trem block mainly) it can have a negative effect on overall guitar tone. On all the alder strats (with maple boards) I have seen with them the tone gets heavier and deeper but all of them lose that bite and to me sound worse. Obviously a nut will have a lot less effect on things but I think the strings will get you closer to what you want without having to do any alterations to your guitar...my mate put some on his les paul custom and it really took it to another level of awesomeness
Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Dec 26, 2012,
Metal nuts make your guitar sound painfully shrill. Metal nuts are also extreme hard to fit and shape, compared to bone or Graph Tech's materials.