Page 1 of 2
stryde41
262 IQ
I'm currently looking to buy a new guitar, and have had some trouble finding one thats right for what i need to play. I need a guitar that is able to withstand low tunings (c, b, and a) and need help finding one that can play fluently with good note definition. Any ideas?
"your not drunk enough unless you piss on the cops tire while he's givin you the ticket"
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Any guitar can tune low, but guitars with longer scale lengths, to my ear, have more clarity. Some disagree with that, but **** them, I hear it :P That said, the Ibanez RGD series is nice. 26.5" scale, plenty of clarity.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Any guitar can tune low, but guitars with longer scale lengths, to my ear, have more clarity. Some disagree with that, but **** them, I hear it :P That said, the Ibanez RGD series is nice. 26.5" scale, plenty of clarity.

It doesn't actually work like that, string tension, not a longer scale length, is what give a guitar it's so-called 'clarity'.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It doesn't actually work like that, string tension, not a longer scale length, is what give a guitar it's so-called 'clarity'.

Hehehe. See?
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Hehehe. See?

The only thing i'm seeing is your ignorance.
Quote by Axelfox
LightxGrenade
1,139 IQ
Are you looking into getting a 7 string guitar, you can get that added range you want. Or you can check out a guitar like the PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone which is a 6 string that's specifically built for lower guitar tunings.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Last time I checked, one of the results of a longer scale length was greater string tension......
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong
430 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Last time I checked, one of the results of a longer scale length was greater string tension......

That's what I was thinking.

By the way TS, putting thicker strings on your guitar helps with drop tunings too.

As for guitars, we need a budget and preferences. See the sticky.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Get what you want- my Dean Cadillac has been tuned to CGDAEG for almost a decade, and its 24 3/4" scale. The C is a 052. No issues. I have a longer scale hollowbody in the same tuning.

That said, I'm having a custom guitar made for the same tuning, and it will be of a slightly longer scale length (25" or 25 1/2", I forget at the moment). But the reason for the longer scale length is economy- that luthier traditionally works in that scale, and changing that would incur some additional costs. (Its being made because it will be a HSS guitar, as opposed to my Cadillac, which is HHH.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 27, 2012,
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Quote by Arby911
... Unless you put on lighter strings.

The point being made is that it is the tension—however you get to that result— that matters, not the scale length.

OP, literally anything will do what you want. There isn't a single guitar in the world that can't be drop-tuned and 'good for metal' simply means 'not a hollowbody with single coils'. You need to be more specific; tone, bridge style, pickup and control style, etc.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
bArny_44
10 IQ
Why don't you check out 7/8strings from schecter and ibanez
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
... Unless you put on lighter strings.
The point being made is that it is the tension—however you get to that result— that matters, not the scale length.

OP, literally anything will do what you want. There isn't a single guitar in the world that can't be drop-tuned and 'good for metal' simply means 'not a hollowbody with single coils'. You need to be more specific; tone, bridge style, pickup and control style, etc.

Agreed, but that wasn't a parameter in question.
Charles Darwin
Heideck
719 IQ
Longer scales will make that you need lighter strings to achieve the tension you want
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by Heideck
Longer scales will make that you need lighter strings to achieve the tension you want

Huh?
Charles Darwin
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Agreed, but that wasn't a parameter in question.

The only thing the context of what Jeleopard suggested that would give a guitar more 'clarity' is it's scale length, when it is actually string tension, not the scale length that gives you more clarity.

If you actually read the rest of offworld's post, he points out that its the tension that matters, not the length of the scale.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 27, 2012,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The only thing the context of what Jeleopard suggested that would give a guitar more 'clarity' is it's scale length, when it is actually string tension, not the scale length that gives you more clarity.

If you actually read the rest of offworld's post, he points out that its the tension that matters, not the length of the scale.

Yes dear, I'm aware of that, although I'd say 'string tension' is even a somewhat simplistic answer, since 'clarity' is also found (perhaps primarily found? I'm sure opinions vary...) in technique.

Don't take my word for it, ask Billy Gibbons....

As for the "If you actually read the rest" nonsense, go be a pedantic twat elsewhere.
Charles Darwin
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Yes dear, I'm aware of that, although I'd say 'string tension' is even a somewhat simplistic answer, since 'clarity' is also found (perhaps primarily found? I'm sure opinions vary...) in technique.

Don't take my word for it, ask Billy Gibbons....

If you're playing 9's in drop A, you're not going to have very much clarity in your sound, mang. Its not like the guitar setup itself doesn't play a part in it.
Quote by Arby911

As for the "If you actually read the rest" nonsense, go be a pedantic twat elsewhere.

Whilst you're at it, go get a mob to wipe your own butthurt off the floor.

Seriously, if you're going to try to be a dick, i'm going to be a dick.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 27, 2012,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you're playing 9's in drop A, you're not going to have very much clarity in your sound, mang. Its not like the guitar setup itself doesn't play a part in it.

Which has better clarity, 12-60's in Drop B or 8-42's in E standard?
Charles Darwin
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Which has better clarity, 12-60's in Drop B or 8-42's in E standard?

Here's an idea: Why do you find out for yourself?
Quote by Axelfox
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Here's an idea: Why do you find out for yourself?

C'mon now, don't dodge the question, I'm simply looking for information like everyone else here.
Charles Darwin
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by Arby911
C'mon now, don't dodge the question, I'm simply looking for information like everyone else here.

How do you expect me to answer such a silly question? There are far too many variables .

You don't really care what the answer is anyway.
Quote by Axelfox
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
How do you expect me to answer such a silly question? There are far too many variables .
You don't really care what the answer is anyway.

Indeed.......thanks.
Charles Darwin
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Well, I mean, I've put my Jackson in low tunings, and have put my Ibanez RGD in the same tunings with the same strings in, and it's sounded better, so... Scale length has something to do with clarity :P

Also, I'm not the only one who hears it SOOOO....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?129104-Scale-length-for-guitars&p=1644425&viewfull=1#post1644425

No reason to be such an asshole, T00
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Last edited by jeleopard at Dec 27, 2012,
stryde41
262 IQ
Up to $500 is my budget, maybe more, and I rather not use a 7 string unless its really recommended, I've never played one, I'm used to just the standard 6 string
"your not drunk enough unless you piss on the cops tire while he's givin you the ticket"
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Well, I mean, I've put my Jackson in low tunings, and have put my Ibanez RGD in the same tunings with the same strings in, and it's sounded better, so... Scale length has something to do with clarity :P

Also, I'm not the only one who hears it SOOOO....

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?129104-Scale-length-for-guitars&p=1644425&viewfull=1#post1644425

No reason to be such an asshole, T00

I hope you didn't forget to realize that your pickups and the materials used to make both guitars are in fact completely different? Didn't think that such variables had something to do with it?
Quote by Axelfox
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I hope you didn't forget to realize that your pickups and the materials used to make both guitars are in fact completely different? Didn't think that such variables had something to do with it?

Well, yes, but unplugged? :P And yes, I've played a downtuned basswood Ibanez 25.5" scale to compare it. 26.5" is still much clearer.
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Well, yes, but unplugged? :P And yes, I've played a downtuned basswood Ibanez 25.5" scale to compare it. 26.5" is still much clearer.

If you have the same string tension on both guitars, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

Did you also take into account that the strings on one might be a lot older than on the other guitar? If so, then there's your answer.
Quote by Axelfox
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 29, 2012,
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Fresh strings, same thing.

Explain Multi-scale guitars, then. It makes a difference in tone, T00. Many agree with me.
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Quote by jeleopard
Fresh strings, same thing.

Explain Multi-scale guitars, then. It makes a difference in tone, T00. Many agree with me.

The reason why it makes a difference in tone is not because of the scale length, but because of the increase of string tension on the lower strings with a multi-scale length neck. You're constantly making the mistake of thinking that a longer scale length gives you more clarity in your tone, but that is because the strings have a higher tension. The reason why it does that is because the scale length increases the tension of the strings, but you can have heavier strings on a shorter scale-length guitar and create essentially the same effect. Having a longer scale length doesn't automatically mean more clarity. If that was the case, we'd all have bass necks on our guitars.
The string tension is what matters, not the scale length.
Quote by Axelfox
gucio93
>_>
1,306 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The reason why it makes a difference in tone is not because of the scale length, but because of the increase of string tension on the lower strings with a multi-scale length neck. You're constantly making the mistake of thinking that a longer scale length gives you more clarity in your tone, but that is because the strings have a higher tension. The reason why it does that is because the scale length increases the tension of the strings, but you can have heavier strings on a shorter scale-length guitar and create essentially the same effect. Having a longer scale length doesn't automatically mean more clarity. If that was the case, we'd all have bass necks on our guitars.
The string tension is what matters, not the scale length.

Exactly. A 26.5" neck drop tuned with an 8-42 set of strings will sound like mud compared to a 24.75" neck with a set of 13-56 strings for example. The reason for this is that on the 26.5" guitar, though the strings are stretched more, they'll still be like spaghetti. However, a 26.5" guitar with a set of 13-56 strings will have much greater string tension than that on the 24.75" neck, causing it to have more "clarity". So the SAME STRINGS on a guitar with a longer scale length will have more clarity, due to the increased tension.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
From the scale length... which is what I was saying...
Legion!
Ibanez RG8
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Its arbitrary to say that a guitar has more clarity because it has a longer scale length when you can compensate for a shorter length with heavier strings. It's down to the way the guitar is set up.
Quote by Axelfox
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
830 IQ
Here let me help!

Charles Darwin
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
But what is the scale length and tension of the horse?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
**** you i'm alive!
Quote by Axelfox
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
But what is the scale length and tension of the horse?

Diddlesticks, because sausages like their red rocket being probed
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,208 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
**** you i'm alive!

wat

Scale length does have something to do with it. All other things being equal, a longer scale length will sound a bit snappier (even if the shorter scale lengths have equal tension). Thinner strings sound a bit brighter than thicker ones.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 31, 2012,