hey guys, so ive decided to get a wah and am wondering whats good out there. i really wanted a snarling dog whine o wah cause a buddy has one and they sound awsome, plus i love the fact you can tweak it. problem is you cant find them anywhere these days. i want something i can tweak and make my own, i dont want a signature wah cause i dont want to sound like somebody else.
price range. 150$
genere, hard rockk metal
fav wah sounds
cantrell
hammett (even though he uses it wahhhhhhh to much)(snarf, get it?)
and some dime

id like alot of range on it as well. i hate thin sounding wahs but to thick is just terrible
Last edited by Vicious_Turtle at Dec 28, 2012,
I just finished my wah shopping crusade yesterday. For a long time I had a Vox V847A, which was stolen. I did not replace it for a while. A month ago I bought the GCB-95F (Crybaby Classic w/ red Fasel) but I was not in love with it. I considered the new SC95 Slash wah but like you, I am not a huge fan of signature products. I did, however, like the LED on the Slash model. I did not want to spend too much more but I have been looking at the CAE Wah since I bought the Crybaby. It has everything I really want and more. I got an online coupon and was able to order one for around $145 when all is said and done ( I returned the 95F.) I can't say how it will be but from what I have read and videos I have watched, it should be great.

I have tried the Clyde by Fulltone, which is super, but that it beyond your budget.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Vox Wah is the best in my opinion.
Gear:
DIGITECH Grunge -->
IBANEZ Silver Cadet -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
Budda make a wah in your price range that's pretty good. That aside, Vox and Dunlop are the standard for a reason. And the fulltone is exceptional but expensive as shit.
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
Try the Ibanez Weeping Demon. Very tweakable wah.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
i thought abotut the weeping demon, but honestly ibanez products scare me. their guitars have always seemed cheap (except the satriani signature model) and im not sure about ibanez gear. however i read that john fruisciante had an ibanez wah and i thought he sounded great with it
Dunlop 535q.....very tweakable and a boost.
Ibanez prestige series is amazing, their pedals are as well. I highly recommend the WD7, there's nothing cheap about it and it has al ot of useful features.
CAE wah
Big Bad Wah, it's my favorite. a little expensive

The sounds you listed really demand the Jerry Cantrell sig wah. I know it's pre-customized but it's amazing for what you want to play, the range limiter really helps get that growly sound
Quote by mmjohn

The cae is all that and more.

Ts you could always buy a standard crybaby and mod the shit out of it to make it your own.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
I've owned a lot of Ibanez gear over the years and nothing has ever let me down. I don't know what conjured up this image in your mind of being cheap, but it's misguided. About the only thing Ibanez can't seem to do is make a decent amp, everything else they produce is good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by greenwgreg
I just finished my wah shopping crusade yesterday. For a long time I had a Vox V847A, which was stolen. I did not replace it for a while. A month ago I bought the GCB-95F (Crybaby Classic w/ red Fasel) but I was not in love with it. I considered the new SC95 Slash wah but like you, I am not a huge fan of signature products. I did, however, like the LED on the Slash model. I did not want to spend too much more but I have been looking at the CAE Wah since I bought the Crybaby. It has everything I really want and more. I got an online coupon and was able to order one for around $145 when all is said and done ( I returned the 95F.) I can't say how it will be but from what I have read and videos I have watched, it should be great.

I have tried the Clyde by Fulltone, which is super, but that it beyond your budget.

i have a clyde as well, you can tweak it a tiny bit with a edit: trimpot, i can't think of a better term atm). i paid like $95 shipped off TGP in box with everything it came with. it has a really long sweep which is nice, good range. the only thing i would buy would be a RMC wizzard wah. there is also a step up from the which is the fulltone clyde i haven't ever tried one though.

but i am more than satisfied with the clyde.

edit, i replaced the wrong word for the correct term trimpot, thanks cath.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 29, 2012,
It's called a trimpot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's called a trimpot.

thats it. i just blanked i was thinking for like five minutes. thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

The Plutoneium Chi-Wah-Wah is a nice piece of gear... but my guess is that its outta your budget.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by mmjohn

For your price range, you should look into that one.
The GCB-95 sounds good once you mod it. Stock it sucks, even the GCB-95F version.

Some good Wah mods : http://www.diyguitarist.com/StompboxStuff.htm
Quote by ragingkitty
The Plutoneium Chi-Wah-Wah is a nice piece of gear... but my guess is that its outta your budget.

those are pretty damn cool.

MSRP of $204 according to their site, typically with most gear they are sold quite a bit under MSRP, but it isn't always quite the same with botique effects.

would be a little stretch, but i would never not get something you like more for $50. YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
those are pretty damn cool.

MSRP of $204 according to their site, typically with most gear they are sold quite a bit under MSRP, but it isn't always quite the same with botique effects.

would be a little stretch, but i would never not get something you like more for $50. YMMV

They are very cool effects... plus you have the option of the vintage fasel inductor option too if you want more mojo to the sound.

They're small, and really built like tanks!

Their head office is like 18 minutes from where I work.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
They are very cool effects... plus you have the option of the vintage fasel inductor option too if you want more mojo to the sound.

They're small, and really built like tanks!

Their head office is like 18 minutes from where I work.

what do they go for used?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Haven't seen one used before man. The users I know gravitate towards Chi-Wah-Wahs after going through a number of wahs... and they sorta don't take it off their boards there after.

I've not seen any in the shops I go to or online.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
It's so small. How are they to use, mechanically speaking?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ragingkitty
Haven't seen one used before man. The users I know gravitate towards Chi-Wah-Wahs after going through a number of wahs... and they sorta don't take it off their boards there after.

I've not seen any in the shops I go to or online.

damn. they are even cheap if its $200USD, would their distributors have some in stock?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup
damn. they are even cheap if its $200USD, would their distributors have some in stock?
Ebay, my man, ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150950955925?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D150950955925%26_rdc%3D1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 29, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard

thats a bass model there are more of those. there are two guitar ones but i thought they were bass when i searched for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Oh, so it is. My bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's so small. How are they to use, mechanically speaking?

It is small, about the size of a Boss pedal. Which is one of its selling points.

Its nice to use but you need to change your approach towards using a wah, instead of rocking your whole foot, I find its easier to think of it like using a car's accelerator.

The overall operation of the wah is very smooth, its very easy to depress, and generally very responsive when you toe down on it. The only thing was that I found the wah a little stiff, but I recall that this is adjustable.

Although if I recall correctly, the operation is reversed. You'd toe down to get the wah emphasis towards the treble, and toe up to get the wah towards the bass end. I could have recalled wrongly though.

The only downside of the design is that you can't **** your wah like Satch does on some songs, but then, there's a pedal specifically for that right?

Quote by trashedlostfdup

I haven't heard of long wait times or queues when buying direct from the manufacturers. Similarly, from what I recall there was a period a few years back where stocks were low because of a shortage of one component part.

Beyond that, from what I heard from friends, its always in stock.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
how do you tweak a standard cry baby? i wasnt aware you could do that

You have to bust out a soldering iron and swap out some components, but there's no better way to get a unique wah sound. This website is a good starting point and explains very simply how each component change affects the overall sound.

But if that's too much for you, the two biggest thins you can change if the vocal resistor and the inductor. The stock GCB95 has that ugly black inductor, you're going to want to swap that out for a Fasel or Whipple inductor. Do a little bit of research into what wah sounds you like, then chek out what wah they were using, and it should steer you in the right direction. My general rule is fasel inductors for crybaby tones, whipple for vox tones.

The vocal resistor swap will make your wah deeper, less of a "wah" and more of a "woh". The stock resistor is rated at 33k, the more you raise it, the more pronounced the sweep will be.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.