Page 1 of 2
I'm interested in seeing how many people are multi-instrumentalists.

For me:

Piano - I can play quite well, I have good speed and ability on that front. In terms of theory, however, I'm quite limited (can't read music quickly enough, not certain on all the scales, etc..)

Guitar - Novice in every possible way. I know a few chords, can pick with relative ease, but I am nowhere near any kind of proficiency.

Harmonica - Not quite a Novice, but not a pro either. I can get what I want to get done on it, which isn't much.

So, what about you guys?
i'd say the only two instruments i can play with proficiency are piano and guitar.

i'm at a moderate level on bass (which is, oddly enough, the instrument on which my sight-reading is best), harmonica, mandolin, vocals, and most percussion instruments.

i'm at a novice level on the upright bass, harp, mandolin, and accordion. i can play them, i can make them sound good, maybe even record some lines with them, but i wouldn't advertise my ability to play them without further refining them.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Bass - Primary instrument. I'd call myself pretty proficient. I could sit down and learn pretty much anything (within reason, of course) you put in front of me. I could be a lot better if I actually practiced but I don't have any specific skills I really want to improve. At this point I'm only really motivated when I have a goal in mind (i.e. a like-minded band, writing songs, building a fanbase).

Guitar - I wouldn't say I'm equally skilled at guitar since I haven't put in as much time but I feel like my chops for both have built on each other. I struggle to play in tune on guitar and sometimes don't have the delicate touch I wish I had, because I'm used to needing to press down a lot harder on bass.

Sax - I played in elementary through high school, haven't really picked it up much since. I can get a solid tone, and I can pick up on stuff decently quick, but it's definitely discouraging to not be near where I am on guitar/bass.

Piano - God awful. I took piano for two semesters in college and I'm still terrible. Can barely play through any sheet music. My timing is terrible. I can mash out chords but not really in time.

Singing - I was terrible for the longest time but singing lessons in college helped a lot. I now feel pretty confident in my singing voice. I still need a lot of work though.

I tried to learn trumpet and didn't get very far.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
sometimes don't have the delicate touch I wish I had, because I'm used to needing to press down a lot harder on bass.

isn't that funny -- that's the exact reason (vice versa of course) that i only consider myself intermediate on bass. my touch on bass is very delicate and i'm not particularly satisfied with it.
Quote by AeolianWolf
i'd say the only two instruments i can play with proficiency are piano and guitar.

i'm at a moderate level on bass (which is, oddly enough, the instrument on which my sight-reading is best), harmonica, mandolin, vocals, and most percussion instruments.

i'm at a novice level on the upright bass, harp, mandolin, and accordion. i can play them, i can make them sound good, maybe even record some lines with them, but i wouldn't advertise my ability to play them without further refining them.

Wow, lol! I don't think I've even had the chance to TOUCH half of those instruments!
I think if I pick up anything after getting better at the guitar, it would probably be something from the woodwind or brass family. I've always liked them.

Quote by food1010
Bass - Primary instrument. I'd call myself pretty proficient. I could sit down and learn pretty much anything (within reason, of course) you put in front of me. I could be a lot better if I actually practiced but I don't have any specific skills I really want to improve. At this point I'm only really motivated when I have a goal in mind (i.e. a like-minded band, writing songs, building a fanbase).

I'm in the same sort of situation with Piano. I know I need to learn sight-reading. I want to do it, even. It's just that the motivation for doing so doesn't actively exist, lol.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
None.

Sarcasm?
Upright Bass - probably my second best instrument. I've been playing like 8 years.
Guitar - Third Best, I've been playing 6-7 years now
Sax - haha I ****in suck
Kazoo - I'm amazing. Best kazooist you've never heard right here.
Quote by ihartfood
Kazoo - I'm amazing. Best kazooist you've never heard right here.

YOU'RE HIRED!
Guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, drums, sax, clarinet, and singing. Further more, why does it matter?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by TadMod
Wow, lol! I don't think I've even had the chance to TOUCH half of those instruments!
I think if I pick up anything after getting better at the guitar, it would probably be something from the woodwind or brass family. I've always liked them.

i've always wanted to do woodwinds and brass, too, but i just seem to have a penchant for strings and keyboards.

i've always, always, always, ALWAYS wanted to learn sax.
Guitar

I sing sometimes, though this is perhaps best done when I'm in the car (alone) or the shower (again, alone).

Mazel tov to you all who are good with a bunch of instruments. I've never had any desire to play anything but the guitar. If I had the time to learn the piano, I'd spend it learning the intro to The Glass Prison and re-nailing Romeo's tapping lick in Sea of Lies. (I at least think I used to be able to play Romeo's lick.)
Quote by AeolianWolf
i've always wanted to do woodwinds and brass, too, but i just seem to have a penchant for strings and keyboards.

i've always, always, always, ALWAYS wanted to learn sax.
Do it dude. Tenor sax is one of the sexiest instruments.

Likewise, I've always wanted to learn trumpet. It's god damn difficult though. I feel like trumpet to sax is an easier transition. You don't need much embouchure or support to spit out some notes on sax, but trumpet is a whole different beast.

Quote by AeolianWolf
isn't that funny -- that's the exact reason (vice versa of course) that i only consider myself intermediate on bass. my touch on bass is very delicate and i'm not particularly satisfied with it.
It's ****ing tough to find that balance.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Dec 28, 2012,
Guitar- I've been playing guitar for 4.5 years now. I would say my technique if pretty proficient and I'm pretty decent at improv. I can learn almost anything (not some insane shred or metal stuff, but reasonable stuff) with some ease. Lately, I've been kind of slacking off. I really need to learn more songs (and remember some I used to do) as well as improve my ear since I need some improving/refining with it. I'm also beginning to work on some of my own music.

Violin- I've been playing violin since the 4th grade (so, 8 years). I'm technically adequate, but I'm not the best at it and I could use tons of practice to where I'd be at happy with my abilities.

Piano- I'm still a novice pianist. I can't play some simple chords, but nothing too fancy. I have some trouble syncing up both of my hands and I really should practice reading sheet music when I play.

Those are the instruments I play, but I put the majority of my attention on guitar. I have a pretty firm grasp on basic theory and I can read music for both guitar and violin (though I dont sightread often for guitar).

Some instruments I'm instrument in learning are Bass, mandolin, and ukulele, but I don't think those'll happen for awhile due to lack of money to buy them.
Skip the username, call me Billy
^Ukelele is stupid easy if you're half decent at guitar, plus you can pick one up for $50.
-Chick Corea
violin, guitar, keyboard. none of them very well

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i stopped bothering with accessory instruments. just bass now

i've tangoed with various brass and strings but nothing to write home about.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by Junior#1
Guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, drums, sax, clarinet, and singing. Further more, why does it matter?

It doesn't matter. It's all purely out of morbid curiosity!

SIDE NOTE:
It seems that the piano/bass/guitar combination are quite common. I wonder if it's to do with the instruments themselves being more popular or for other reasons.

Also, surprised how few people have worked with percussion, specifically the drums. (wasn't expecting too many xylophonists on UG, to be honest, haha)
Quote by TadMod

Also, surprised how few people have worked with percussion, specifically the drums. (wasn't expecting too many xylophonists on UG, to be honest, haha)

lol you have to factor in many UGers' extremely liberal definition of what constitutes "playing"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can play three chords really well on guitar, so I'd say I'm halfway to proficient.

Piano: not so much. If someone's around I always have to ask them what chord I'm on. Working with sound is not a problem... knowing where I am on the ivories... big problem.

Bass: Not bad. Terrible slap and popper, but can funk real well despite that lack of technique. Can lay a groove but get too frustrated as I'm not Victor Wooten yet.

others: If it requires a bow, make sure its not your instrument I'm trying. I tend to break the hairs and crack the bow. Super duper light touch... not in my vocabulary. Can lay a basic beat on drums... but using all the limbs confuses me and after 30 seconds the kangaroo kick comes in and destroys everything. I've broken timpanis too. Played it at an Eisteddfod twice - the guitar spot was taken and they needed someone else to accompany the choir. Was never asked to play again. Sigh... shattered dreams

Can't sing for shit
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol you have to factor in many UGers' extremely liberal definition of what constitutes "playing"

I can play Guitar, Violin, and Piano.

When I say play, I mean I can hit strings and make sounds.

Guitar,Bass,Ukulele,Mandolin to an advanced level.

violin , just about intermediate.
piano : more confident intermediate , can some play advanced music...slowly.
drums:confident. intermediate to advanced.
voice: i can sing simple folk music in key. (probably at the same level as my violin playing.
electric keyboard, i can make mario-esqe music well. again confident intermediate.
Quote by evolucian
I can play three chords really well on guitar, so I'd say I'm halfway to proficient.

Piano: not so much. If someone's around I always have to ask them what chord I'm on. Working with sound is not a problem... knowing where I am on the ivories... big problem.

Bass: Not bad. Terrible slap and popper, but can funk real well despite that lack of technique. Can lay a groove but get too frustrated as I'm not Victor Wooten yet.

others: If it requires a bow, make sure its not your instrument I'm trying. I tend to break the hairs and crack the bow. Super duper light touch... not in my vocabulary. Can lay a basic beat on drums... but using all the limbs confuses me and after 30 seconds the kangaroo kick comes in and destroys everything. I've broken timpanis too. Played it at an Eisteddfod twice - the guitar spot was taken and they needed someone else to accompany the choir. Was never asked to play again. Sigh... shattered dreams

Can't sing for shit

I am now ridiculously keen to hear you play all of those things and sing. I laughed so hard when I read this post.

I can play potato

I hear it's quite good for mash-ups. (Rimshot!)

I'm very proficient in playing triangle...

Random question, does an orchestra ever have one person dedicated to playing the triangle? or does that person have to play multiple instruments to make up for it?
this site attracts a lot of those generic kids in high school you remember who had a guitar somewhere or another but never started a band. various genres, but all were pretty horrific in their own right, at least as far as fandom goes. the only reason you're hearing anything other than guitar (and bass because they think they know what they're doing just because it has strings and they can pick it) is because:

a) at a certain level of musicality, you understand that each instrument has its own voice and most people will either adapt to one that fits them best or broaden their horizons to composition and orchestration

or b) because they played a mandolin at guitar center once and it totally counted cause they figured out the riff to enter sandman in only like 5 minutes. and/or they played an instrument as an elective in middle school but never actually paid attention or drew anything of use to their later musical education because learning to play "jingle bells" in-tune for your class doesn't involve using modes
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Quote by Wild_One
I'm very proficient in playing triangle...

Triangle is actually surprisingly difficult, playing a 5:4:3 polyrhythm while accenting all the necessary notes is actually really difficult to do. Especially once you start playing triangle with two hands with it hanging on a stand.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Triangle is actually surprisingly difficult, playing a 5:4:3 polyrhythm while accenting all the necessary notes is actually really difficult to do. Especially once you start playing triangle with two hands with it hanging on a stand.

and what if it breaks a string in the middle of a song?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Quote by Hail
and what if it breaks a string in the middle of a song?

You kick the triangle back up and hold it with your teeth, then keep playing!
Guitar - a bit over 3 years
Trumpet - 11 years
Bass - started before guitar but I bought my first bass this year. I used to play on school's and my friend's basses. And I have been playing the bass in a band for a year and a half (I played on my friend's bass for a year ).
Drums - I can play basic beats. Nothing special. But I have been a drummer in a gig twice.
Piano - I can only play chords. Finding chords on piano is the easiest though, easier than on guitar. It's kind of my transcribing instrument.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Guitar - Been pickin' dem strings for about four or five years now (can't remember what year exactly I started) and I'd say I'm proficient. Like most people who hear me tell me I'm very talented, but I always compare myself to my idols so I don't think I'm very good at all. Moderate theory, never tried reading sheet music for/with guitar.

Piano - Been playing two years and have been taking classes in college for it. It's the only instrument I've actually read music for while playing (besides singing, but I don't really read the music, I just memorize the melody). I'm ok at it, I can only play a few songs that I wouldn't consider "practice songs" all the way through on it.

Vocals - I was in advanced choir in high school (which wasn't really that hard to get into at my school admittedly) and am taking lessons now in college. I'm decent at it I guess. I'm a baritone, but wish I was a tenor so I could sing more songs I like.

I really want to learn violin, but haven't got around to buying one yet.
Quote by gunsnroses#1
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No and horseradish isn't either.

Bassoon- My main instrument almost six years now.
Bass
Guitar
Saxophone
Clarinet
Piano
Mandolin
Banjo

The life of a Music education major. I'm adding oboe and flute to the list this coming semester.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
6 string guitar: pretty good rhythm player, I can improv okay, and play some lead.

5 button guitar: I'll ROCK YOUR FACE OFF!
I play guitar and cello, and have dabbled with ukelele and bass. I'd say the cello is my main instrument, since I by far spend the most time on it and would consider it to be the instrument I'm most proficient at; Which is kind of funny since it was the guitar that brought inspiration to my cello playing. I've learned how to play my cello in styles that would normally be associated with guitars. I'm probably one out of like two or three cellists on this forum lol.
Guitar - Main instrument. Not really a beginner anymore, but still wanna learn to solo, and some more theory on all those odd chords would be nice.

Harmonica - Got one on my desk. Learned the root notes to Paradise City for shits and giggles, would like to play some more though.

Bass - Played a couple times, all went well.

Keyboards - My sister got tired of it and dumped it in my room. Figured out a few things.

Drums - Beginner, footwork is tricky.

Vocals - Auditioned for open mic night at school (vocal/guitar cover of Wonderwall, the official douchebag song, i know). Didn't pass but they didn't cut me off either so...
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
I play guitar, bass, and a little bit of drums and keys. I also sing. I'm equally terrible at all of them.

and bass because they think they know what they're doing just because it has strings and they can pick it...

...or because you're a solo artist who has to learn how to play it because otherwise you can't have it in your recordings. It was simpler to teach myself bass than to find another musician to play with who could adhere to my ridiculous schedule... 'sides, I like it.
Page 1 of 2