Blackstripes82
122 IQ
after using my Squier Strat SE for some time i want a new guitar. because it does not play the right songs i want to play. this time im not buying a crappy guitar again so i have saved $800 for the guitar. i bought the roland cube 40xl a while back, so i only need a guitar and a good cable. the bands i want to play are santana, the ventures and white stripes. what guitar should i buy and why?
Maximus_2005
13 IQ
Sorry to say but I don't think the cube will cover those bands very well... Regardless of what guitar you have.
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Guitars don't play songs, people do.

Nothing wrong with buying new gear obviously, but if there's a problem playing stuff it's not the guitar's fault.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
From what I know of those bands (I know nothing about The Ventures) they sound basically nothing alike, at least in terms of tone. You're probably not going to be able to get the same set up to do all of those sounds very well. I also don't think you're going to get either of the tones I'm familiar with out of a cube; they're good amps but I just don't think you're going to get Santana out of one at the very least.

Santana's tone is pure Mesa Boogie gain so to get close you'll have to set the cube to whatever the model of that is. You'll also want a guitar with a neck humbucker at least, play the neck humbucker and roll off the tone a bit so you dull the attack a little but you can still hear it - you don't want to completely lose it but it definitely wants to be less pronounced than it is naturally.

What I've heard of the white stripes is again a humbucker tone but entirely different - it's quite fuzzy and lo-fi so I guess a half-decent fuzz pedal will do it?

I guess the common element here is a guitar with a pair of humbuckers in it, something like a PRS Santana SE might do it? Musiciansfriend has them coming in at around $650 so I suppose if you went for one of those you'd have enough money left over for an EH Big Muff or similar fuzz pedal to cover the White Stripes tone would come in within your budget.

I really can't help with The Ventures though, I don't think I've ever even heard one of their songs...

Quote by steven seagull

Nothing wrong with buying new gear obviously, but if there's a problem playing stuff it's not the guitar's fault.

Agreed in principle but you have to admit a single-coil guitar won't cover those tones very well
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 29, 2012,
Blackstripes82
122 IQ
Quote by steven seagull

its not that i cant play, but the sound is just not right. most of the time it sounds too high
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Quote by Blackstripes82
its not that i cant play, but the sound is just not right. most of the time it sounds too high

Have you tried playing lower down the neck?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Blackstripes82
122 IQ
sorry the word i was looking for was shrill. english isnt my motherly language. playing lower on the neck does not help.
halfj06
565 IQ
I was just going to say I think the english language is getting in your way from asking what you want.. I think you were asking, what guitars for $800 or less, would get you closer to those artists tone? I know santana plays prs guitars, Im not a big jack white/white stripes follower so I could be wrong but I thought he played semi hallow guitars and I have no idea who the other band is.. maybe one of the nicer epiphone semi hallows would do the thick
tybacca60
1,000 IQ
Maybe try to pick up a used PRS se Santana and a used Marshall combo...I just saw a Santana go for 300$ at my local GC,so if you can find one around that price you should be able to spend 400-500$ on a Marshall combo
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
PRS SE CU24 would be a good one to look at

Epiphone LP standard is also one to look at. Santana played LPs for quite a bit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
monwobobbo
608 IQ
agree with those who said that the tones you want are a little to far apart to get perfectly with one guitar. the PRS mentioned would abe a good guitar to get though. the rest is in the gear more than the guitar. ventures requires decent clean sound with maybe a fuzz pedal and certainly good reverb. jack white uses a lot of old gear that has unique sounds so is tough to copy at times. santana is all about getting singing sustain which comes from a really good amp. also keep in mind that the technique required to play like those guys are all very different so that may be one of the reasons you don't feel you are getting the right sound.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by Blackstripes82
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCibnei_GLg

Anyone know what Fender model this is?

You got to be kidding me

That is a fender Stratocaster one of the most popular guitars of all time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blackstripes82
122 IQ
i know that much yes, but there are diffent types of that guitar right?
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by Blackstripes82
i know that much yes, but there are diffent types of that guitar right?

Sorry I miss under stood

It looks like a Standard with S-S-S configuration. Yes there are quite a few diff Strat models.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Blackstripes82
Anyone know what Fender model this is?

It's a Strat Plus, they're not in production and more and even if they were that one has aftermarket pickups in it. If nothing else you can tell by the LSR roller nut; I think the Strat Plus is the only model that's had one as standard but I may very well be wrong about that.

This information is in the comments by the way, it took me all of 10 seconds to find it, if that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Dec 29, 2012,
desperatechris
Banned
719 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS SE CU24 would be a good one to look at

Epiphone LP standard is also one to look at. Santana played LPs for quite a bit

Buy a PRS SE CU24 not an epip*****.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Beaten to it somewhat, the Ventures were one of the more prominent "surf" bands of the early years of rock & roll.*

Hard to get that surf guitar sound without singlecoils or splitting. So you either need to find a guitar that has splittable humbuckers or incorporates at least one singlecoil into the mix. That means that if you want to play Santana and the Ventures type tones on the same guitar, you're going to need some kind of HS, HSH or HSS selection of pickups.

You might be able to get close to the surf tone with P90s, but I don't know- never used one. If so, there are a fair number of guitars out there mixing humbuckers and P90s, like the Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster and the Reverend Double Agent.

* some of their bigger songs were:

1. Walk - Don’t Run
2. Hawaii Five-O theme
3. Tequila
4. Pipeline
5. Wipe Out
6. Ghost Riders in the Sky
7. Telstar
8. Sleep Walk
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 29, 2012,
Blackstripes82
122 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Beaten to it somewhat, the Ventures- writers of "Walk, don't run" and others- were one of the more prominent "surf" bands of the early years of rock & roll.

Hard to get that surf guitar sound without singlecoils or splitting. So you either need to find a guitar that has splittable humbuckers or incorporates at least one singlecoil into the mix. That means that if you want to play Santana and the Ventures type tones on the same guitar, you're going to need some kind of HS, HSH or HSS selection of pickups.

You might be able to get close to the surf tone with P90s, but I don't know- never used one. If so, there are a fair number of guitars out there mixing humbuckers and P90s, like the Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster and the Reverend Double Agent.

is a HSH also a possible combination, or only the ones you just typed?
and i really like the songs tequila and green onion
Last edited by Blackstripes82 at Dec 29, 2012,
narinderkapur
533 IQ
1. HSH is a great combination, and it's available on some Ibanez models (I only saw them on the mid-range models), but that's as far as my knowledge goes. (Although SSH exists and would get you there too, I suppose)

2. The tones that you're looking for depend on your amp as well. Surf music uses a lot of reverb, and vibrato, and models like the Jazzmaster are ideal, look out for it.

3. The tone that Jack White uses in the White Stripes is by using the bridge pickup (a humbucker) with fuzz through a clean setting (again, as far as I know, there are other ways to achieve the sound as well). Fender models would be good for that, but look at some of the Epiphones that are higher up in the price bracket, the budget ones suck.

4. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with Santana, so you'll have to forgive me for that.

Overall, look at the Fenders, maybe a Telecaster with Humbuckers, or PRS. That should get you closer to the tone you're looking for, but if you can, try for a combo too.
jeffo46
Tab Contributor
220 IQ
If you have $800.00 and want to update your gear in order to get the sounds that you want , I suggest that you get the following items ;

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat - It's a major upgrade from what you were using and is much better than Fender's MIM Standard Strat, and lower in price at only $379.99.

2. Digitech RP-70 Effects Processor- This will give you the effects that you can't get on the Roland Cube along with the different amp models as well.

3. Fender Frontman 212 R- At $325.00, this is one of the best deals going today. It has the classic Fender Blackface look along with the Fender sound and is rated at a very " LOUD ! " 100 watts and takes to effects like a fish to water.
Fisheth24
I play Bass.
6,399 IQ
Quote by jeffo46
If you have $800.00 and want to update your gear in order to get the sounds that you want , I suggest that you get the following items ;

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat - It's a major upgrade from what you were using and is much better than Fender's MIM Standard Strat, and lower in price at only $379.99.

2. Digitech RP-70 Effects Processor- This will give you the effects that you can't get on the Roland Cube along with the different amp models as well.

3. Fender Frontman 212 R- At $325.00, this is one of the best deals going today. It has the classic Fender Blackface look along with the Fender sound and is rated at a very " LOUD ! " 100 watts and takes to effects like a fish to water.

Could do far better than the Frontman amp for that budget.
AeonOptic
1,606 IQ
Don't newer PRS guitars have coil splitting stock? If so, they could be worthwhile. I'm not entirely sure of the pricing though.
narinderkapur
533 IQ
Quote by AeonOptic
Don't newer PRS guitars have coil splitting stock? If so, they could be worthwhile. I'm not entirely sure of the pricing though.

The pricing is pretty steep, at least here in India, but I've tried one of them out, and they sound really, really good.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Double Post
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 6, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by Blackstripes82
is a HSH also a possible combination, or only the ones you just typed?
and i really like the songs tequila and green onion

Many guitar makers make HSH guitars, but only a few companies make a wide artery of models with that configuration. Ibanez makes several, Godin makes the Freeway, and Fender probably makes one, but I can't think of which one it would be.

Malden made one, but that may be the last one. Swing just recently introduced their newest one, but have others.

Side note: some guitars are deceptively versatile. Malden's Bad Karma is one on my G.A.S. list, in part because the guitar's humbuckers are independently splittable. That means it can behave like a HH, SS, SH or HS.

Always check the specs of the guitars you look at- some may surprise you.

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 4, 2013,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by jeffo46

No.

1. How so? I haven't played either but I have never heard of people saying that CV is much better than MIM. They have said it's almost as good or as good as MIM, maybe even a bit better, but you get it cheaper so it's a better deal.

But yeah, a Strat would be a good guitar. Though I don't know about Santana, he uses humbuckers so maybe look at HSS ("Fat") Strat.

2. I wouldn't suggest any effects at first. Look at what effects the bands you listen to use and then decide what effects you need. Effects can also be bought later. I would first only buy the amp and the guitar and see if you even need any effects. For surf music you need reverb but that can be found on almost all amps.

3. You don't need 100 watts (TS didn't say he's gigging and even if he was, 30 watt tube amp is enough for gigging). Frontman looks good, yes, but does it sound good? I don't know, I haven't played it but it's one of the most hated amps in UG. Clean is said to be pretty decent but the drive sound is crap. But for $300 there are much better amps and you could almost buy a tube amp. Look at used amps and you could find a good tube amp for pretty cheap.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 4, 2013,
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ

alhaq369
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Good thing I restrained myself, then, huh?

alhaq369
ecvMatt
clamper
36 IQ
There's no single guitar/amp combo that will get all three sounds exactly. I think it's more important to find the guitar that is most comfortable for you to play. Admittedly, I have no idea what you have in terms of stock at your local stores but go and play them. Play lots of them. Ones you think might be ugly or not appropriate, try them, guitars that are over your price limit, try them. Play as many as you can and find out what is comfortable and what you like as far as body style, neck type, control locations, bridge style etc. Then narrow it down from there. I work hard for my money and would not spend $800 without first making sure it is what I want or can at least be resold with minimal loss.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.