walker8476
267 IQ
Can someone tell me the correct technique to play the following:

___11_12_15_12_11___________11_12_15_12_11_______
___________________15_________________________15_

The notes are all triplets and the song is at 70 BBM.

Do I pick the 11 and then use hammer ons on 12 15 12 11 and then pick 15? or pick all notes?
cip 123
546 IQ
Both those ways work. If it was a hammer-on you probably would've been instructed to do that so just pick them. But that seems a bit slow?
walker8476
267 IQ
Yeah I find picking the notes is too slow. When I use hammer-ons, the notes sound a bit quiet.....but it is faster.
cip 123
546 IQ
ohh i think you should pick the note unless instructed otherwise might give you a better tone consistency of sound i just thought the BPM was a bit slow but if you're building up from there you should be fine
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,144 IQ
Depends on your skill level. I would advice alternate-picking on all notes, since it would sound so much better. [Shameless non-self advertising] Just listen to Buckethead. [/Shameless non-self advertising]
Everything lies in practice. If you have enough mental strength to sit down and practice that lick with alt-picking for hours, do so. If you feel it's a waste of time, use legato technique.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Reages
882 IQ
i would alternate pick, more comfortable
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by walker8476
Can someone tell me the correct technique to play the following:

___11_12_15_12_11___________11_12_15_12_11_______
___________________15_________________________15_

The notes are all triplets and the song is at 70 BBM.

Do I pick the 11 and then use hammer ons on 12 15 12 11 and then pick 15? or pick all notes?

Legato. Developing a strong fretting hand is more important than picking.

Picking hand is important, but not as important as fretting hand technique.
Aralingh
Intelligent person
301 IQ
Quote by mdc
Legato. Developing a strong fretting hand is more important than picking.

Picking hand is important, but not as important as fretting hand technique.

Do you ever wonder why right handed people use left hand for fretting?
Elderer
UG Member
1,208 IQ
Looks like something Page would play. Hammer-pull off and pick 15th on B string(or 2nd).
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san
238 IQ
If that's how it's notated, then I'd pick all of it. There's nothing there to indicate a hammer on or pull off.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez
3,503 IQ
Use your ears to figure it out. You get a very different sound when using legato as you do when you pick all the notes. Compare the two and the sound that you like best is the one that you should be using while playing the lick
6 Years In
4 Years To Go
walker8476
267 IQ
This part is actually played very fast. I only typed out half the bar. It appears from the posts that either way is acceptable technique, but because it's played fast I'm thinking using hammer-ons is probably the way to go.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by Junior#1
If that's how it's notated, then I'd pick all of it. There's nothing there to indicate a hammer on or pull off.

This.

Don't use legato as a crutch to make up for bad alternate picking.
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by Geldin
I love this. and I even play a ton of legato.

Anyway, my take is that this calls for alternate picking.

There's also the tapping alternative.

e-h11h12t15p12p11p10- etc

Yes, I'm saying to hammer on to a note without ever picking the string. Just hit is really hard.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Dec 29, 2012,
walker8476
267 IQ
Initially I played it using alternate picking, but then I watched the actual guitarist play the solo and noticed he used hammer-ons. That why I started thinking I was using the wrong technique.
bangoodcharlote
Fractal
855 IQ
Quote by walker8476
Initially I played it using alternate picking, but then I watched the actual guitarist play the solo and noticed he used hammer-ons. That why I started thinking I was using the wrong technique.
In that case, the "correct" way to play it is with the legato initially used. The correct (no quotes) way is to play it however you think makes it sound right. My tapping pattern is completely legitimate. (I still recommend nailing alternate picking.)

Who is the guitarist?
walker8476
267 IQ
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Who is the guitarist?

The guitarist is Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest and the solo is from "A Touch Of Evil".
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Geldin
This.

Don't use alternate picking as a crutch to make for poor legato technique.
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,144 IQ
Quote by mdc
Don't use alternate picking as a crutch to make for poor legato technique.

WUT
Quote by ChemicalFire

Aw yeah.
EddieHet
33 IQ
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
WUT

Why argue, both are important.
Do you feel like I do!?
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand
2,144 IQ
Quote by EddieHet
Why argue, both are important.

How can possibly somebody have good alt-picking technique and not have good legato?
Quote by ChemicalFire

Aw yeah.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
How can possibly somebody have good alt-picking technique and not have good legato?

It's totally possible, but usually, it's the other way around. I think Paul Gilbert and Petrucci have joked about it before.

If you have good alternate picking, generally, your fingers are at least used to moving in sync with your picking (and hopefully the rhythm of the song). If you use legato as a crutch, usually you're just widdling your fingers around in what you hope is a consistent rhythm.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Geldin
If you use legato as a crutch, usually you're just widdling your fingers around in what you hope is a consistent rhythm.

That's cuz the fretting lacks control. It can't always rely on the picking hand to keep it in time.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by mdc
That's cuz the fretting lacks control. It can't always rely on the picking hand to keep it in time.

I'm not sure I follow. My hands synchronize because the muscles are used to keeping rhythms in time with one another, but my picking and fretting hands are capable of independently keeping rhythms.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
^ B/c by saying this..
Quote by Geldin
If you use legato as a crutch, usually you're just widdling your fingers around in what you hope is a consistent rhythm.

... it sounds like the fretting hand can't keep in time when executing legato. Not you personally.

Ex. Repetition lick (no picking) - Sextuplet rhythm.
-h8p5h7h8p7p5
-
-
-
-
-

If the fretting hand is in complete control, the lick can be played as 6 notes per beat over and over without fail. Without relying on the picking hand to keep the fretting hand in time.

You don't even need to pick the first note to get going, as the 1st finger stays fixed in place on the 5th fret.
kian89
UG Board King
483 IQ
id use hammer ons and tapping for something like this.
although it depends on piece itself
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
^ just... no.

Pick the very first note (11th fret top e). And that's it. The rest is legato.

Your pinky should be well developed enough to hammer on from nowhere to the 15th fret b string.

Why? because the tip of the index finger will already be muting the b string by being jutted up against to keep it quiet, thus no buzzing.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
I'm still not sure what you're saying. The lick is written out to be picked. Pick it. If the guy is using legato when he performs it, use legato. Neither is a replacement for the other and it's silly to suggest that you should use one as a crutch when the other is no good.
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
722 IQ
Quote by Geldin
I'm still not sure what you're saying. The lick is written out to be picked. Pick it. If the guy is using legato when he performs it, use legato. Neither is a replacement for the other and it's silly to suggest that you should use one as a crutch when the other is no good.

I never suggested that. And you do get what I'm saying. You just don't wanna hear it.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by mdc
I never suggested that. And you do get what I'm saying. You just don't wanna hear it.

I actually honestly don't know what you're trying to argue. Like, I legit don't know and am genuinely confused.
Lutz Richter
10 IQ
...depends on the sound you want to create. The speed should not be the reason for choosing the technique. You can pick everything, or play legato as much as possible, or a combination of both. (I would either pick everything, or play only some of the notes legato.)
Reages
882 IQ
i would also agree that legato is used when your picking sucks