Gibson_Man
66 IQ
I'm doing a study/some research for my communication degree. I'm looking at political themes, ideologies, etc. in music, mainly rock music. Are there any resourceful books you know of that apply to this topic? I'm looking for texts books by experts maybe, but books written by critics or general authors are welcomed as I can hopefully look at their sources.

Any help would be appreciated!
dankhus
Chief Procrastinator
513 IQ
Search for Dave Mustaine and Ted Nugent interviews.
I don't have a signature
Shredoftheday
pngyuuuuuu
1,135 IQ
Wow, all of you guys can't read can you? TS was asking for BOOKS or articles and stuff, such as the one I provided! Not songs!
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
Omg shredoftheday is so rite! Can't read! Lawlawlololawlol1!!!1!1!1
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Alpha_Wolf
HR
1,061 IQ
Most political bands just annoy me.

a la Rage Against The Machine (**** you i won't do what you yell me x50)
a la Molotov Solution ("**** the police"? really?)
a la System Of A Down (not quite as bad as others...)
etc

All of these bands made great music, but their message ALWAYS seems so adolescent, and their ironically "sheeple" fans just eat it up. Seriously, if you can't make a valid point without screaming profanities in my ear, then you shouldn't be discussing politics.

OT: Just Google interviews with bands like the ones I and others stated. That would be your best bet.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
aren't all songs political? aren't all songs vaguely self-referential?
Gibson_Man
66 IQ
Thanks for the replies. Neidnarb, I'm going to do a content analysis of modern rock songs with political messages. I'm requires to have 30 sources that span the entire realm of my topic, but my actual research will deal with songs released basically in the last 5 to 10 years. I can also use the sources to maybe compare how some classics can still be relevant today, such as some Bob Dylan tracks and Barry Maguire's "Eve of Destruction."

Thanks again for the help everyone, and if you have any other info you'd like to pass along, please do so!
Lagunaguitar
UG's Best HS Debater
903 IQ
NIN's year zero had some political references. RATM is obvious and Rise Against has a lot of that stuff too. The guys from Anti-Flag have been around for quite a while and played songs at Occupy Wall Street
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
accadacca97
270 IQ
There's a book called 33 revolutions per minute, which I'm fairly sure is about politics in music
ETHANEVIL
hopeless.
735 IQ
Aren't we forgetting Dead Kennedys?
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Lord_Doku
ancient bass
1,984 IQ
You'd be best off narrowing down your topic to a certain period in history I think.
As for sources, look up the musicians themselves. Ted Nugent, Dave Mustaine, any major punk band, and all the major public endorsers like Bruce Springsteen and Oprah (even if she isn't a musician by any stretch).
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
blah political music.. one of the reasons why i don't listen to much punk rock anymore
..::fat
lard::..
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
292 IQ
Pierre Bourdieu
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Crimson.King
520 IQ
I'd recommend a great book for your research about highly political music/bands. It's called "The Real Frank Zappa Book" which is an autobiography that goes into great detail on his mid 1980's fight with the PMRC, congressional appearance, and political outlook. To give you a taste of FZ's political point of view, from his song "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing":

"You say yer life's a bum deal 'N yer up against the wall...
Well, people, you ain't even got no Deal at all
'Cause what they do In Washington
They just takes care of NUMBER ONE
An' NUMBER ONE ain't YOU
You ain't even NUMBER TWO"
Gibson_Man
66 IQ
The books seem to be wonderful. Thank you to everyone who suggessted them, as well as the academic journal. Much appreciated. Again, if you have any more information you'd like to share, please feel free!
Drache Wachter
UG's Bass Bone
182 IQ
Quote by dankhus
Search for Dave Mustaine and Ted Nugent interviews.

Aww, you beat me to it. Oh, well. If you're looking to decipher songs with a political message, you could also look into Iron Maiden's work, or even Bruce Dickinson's solo writings. It isn't always blunt, but the material's there.