Page 1 of 2
I was wondering if there were any good amps for Sludge metal or Doom Metal for a guitarist on a budget. I can save up too so price range dosent matter much. I was thinking Peavey Valveking or Blackstar Series One. Thanks!

Guitars: Epiphone G-400 w/ Lace Drop and Gains(Bridge) & Blue-Gold Dually(Neck)
Amplifiers: Bugera 6262 head w/ Mesa Oversized Recto 4x12 Cab
Effects: Ibanez TS808, Dunlop JC95, Electro-Harmonix Micro POG, MXR KFK-1
Tuned To Drop B and Drop A.
Where are you located? There is a pretty massive gap between the ValveKing and the S1.

When I think of that stuff, I think of Orange. Thunderverb ideally. You can also get there with a Mesa Dual Rectifier (maybe even a Single), or a Marshall JCM800 (or similar).

Though you should be able to get a good tone for that with your Bugera. Crank the bass and mids, turn down the treble...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Laney AOR

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
dime d100 amp which is basically clone of mid 80s randall rg100es amp. Kirk from crowbar/down endorses these. He just boosts it with a metal zone volume on full eq knobs on noon and gain at 0. I've tried his settings but i seem to favor more mids on amp and more treble and less presence. I recommend not to use the boost button but to boost with like overdrive pedal.

forgot to mention i got this for $250 so pretty cheap new about going rate for used rg100es
its full solid state and imo based off one of the best designs. Some people hate the fact that when you hit the boost button on the amp it drops volume but i think it sounds better with boost off and using a overdrive/distortion to boost it.
here is the link for $250 at guitar center

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dime-Amplification-Dimebag-D100-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head-106337801-i1503660.gc

I'm pairing it with a newer company studio 7 oversized 2x12 with higher wattage vintage 30ish speakers handles 400watts got a repackaged one for $159.99 shipped

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-1152-400-watt-2-x-12-guitar-cabinet-studio-7-s7212.aspx
Quote by fender
dime d100 amp which is basically clone of mid 80s randall rg100es amp. Kirk from crowbar/down endorses these. He just boosts it with a metal zone volume on full eq knobs on noon and gain at 0. I've tried his settings but i seem to favor more mids on amp and more treble and less presence. I recommend not to use the boost button but to boost with like overdrive pedal.

forgot to mention i got this for $250 so pretty cheap new about going rate for used rg100es

They had them on sale for $250 because they weren't selling. Its an SS amp for sure. I don't think its what I would call a "doom" amp.

Offworld had some good suggestions.

TS- what is your budget?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
They had them on sale for $250 because they weren't selling. Its an SS amp for sure. I don't think its what I would call a "doom" amp.

Offworld had some good suggestions.

TS- what is your budget?

what is crowbar considered then? he has toured with these amps if it works for him plus i know other doom bands that use rg100es which this amp is a clone of
Quote by fender
what is crowbar considered then? he has toured with these amps if it works for him plus i know other doom bands that use rg100es which this amp is a clone of

Lots of people endorse gear they don't use.

Lets hear this guys budget and then try to see what is available.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT

Lets hear the guys budget.

lol you kill me seriously the dime amp is like straight up clone of rg100es it is well documented that kirk uses these amps. I'm sure he is getting tired of taking 25 year old amps out on the road with them when he can be taking brand new ones that sound exactly alike.
Quote by fender
lol you kill me seriously the dime amp is like straight up clone of rg100es it is well documented that kirk uses these amps. I'm sure he is getting tired of taking 25 year old amps out on the road with them when he can be taking brand new ones that sound exactly alike.

You kill me. Lay off the smack. Wait for the OPs budget. If he has $250 bucks for a head well then guess what the Dime/RG100es would fit.

Now if his budget is more maybe we can find him something better.

And AOR is also a great suggestion.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 30, 2012,
Quote by R45VT
You kill me. Lay off the smack. Wait for the OPs budget. If he has $250 bucks for a head well then guess what the Dime/RG100es would fit.

Now if his budget it more maybe we can find him something better.

he uses a bugera 6262 and a epiphone guitar i'm guessing 250 sounds great. I get so tired of all the solid state hate on the internet. Tubes are not always the answer
Quote by fender
he uses a bugera 6262 and a epiphone guitar i'm guessing 250 sounds great. I get so tired of all the solid state hate on the internet. Tubes are not always the answer

No, tubes are not always the answer.

And the race doesn't always go to the swiftest, nor the battle to the strongest.

But that's the way to bet it anyhow....

If you're tired of SS hate on the net go out and talk to a few musicians, I'm sure you can find some better hate in person.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 30, 2012,
Nice Arby.

And Fender I have no hate for the RG100/Dime. Not sure where you got that from. There is more than one answer to what will fit the TS best, and that answer has something to do with his budget.

My thought process on this is why pay $250 for and amp that he may later try to sell and only $75 bucks for. If he gets a used AOR the value won't drop that much. Better ROI.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Nice Arby.

And Fender I have no hate for the RG100/Dime. Not sure where you got that from. There is more than one answer to what will fit the TS best, and that answer has something to do with his budget.

My thought process on this is why pay $250 for and amp that he may later try to sell and only $75 bucks for. If he gets a used AOR the value won't drop that much. Better ROI.

was a little hard to tell when you posted that pic of the guy using the false wall of amps. I'm just showing proof that the guy in fact does tour with dime amps and or rg100es. I consider crowbar in category of doom i guess. When i hear the word budget i automatically think of whats the cheapest option available. To me that would be a new dime d100 amp or used rg100es.

edit: rg100es still sell for $250 or so on the used market this amp is like straight up clone except it uses a standard footswitch un like the randall. I would imagine just for the fact it has dime's name on it, it should hold value pretty good. Its already dropped in price from when they were first released but i don't see them going lower than $250
Last edited by fender at Dec 30, 2012,
I saw one on CL for $150 already. I tried to snatch it up but someone beat me to it.

Dimes name has been over used to the point its almost laughable. Its a damn shame. Hell of a player and a guy. Everyone is trying to cash in.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by fender
the 20watt one? sludge/doom from what i have seen/read up on is high wattage with full stacks the louder the better. Many acts even use bass amps along side with regular amps.

Depends on what you want. If you're just looking for the tone, small amps would work. But if you're going to be gigging against a drummer and a bassist playing a huge Sunn or Ampeg rig or something like that, yeah you're gonna need a bigger amp.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Dec 30, 2012,
The most I could pay for an amp at once is maybe $700-$900. That Dime amp is starting ty found pretty good to me though.
My budget is probably up to 1200 at once. That Dime amp is starting to sound good right about now though. (forgot what I said about $900)
Last edited by JoeyDoomRiff666 at Dec 30, 2012,
Do you have a cab already?? For that money you can get some good stuff.

Are you going to gig? How large place? Home use etc, jamming? Willing to go used?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
Do you have a cab already?? For that money you can get some good stuff.

Are you going to gig? How large place? Home use etc, jamming? Willing to go used?
Actually the most relevant question is, "how loud is your drummer?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That dime amp would shit itself next to a roadster or even th30. Both fall into ts budget. And that pic not only shows the false wall of amps it also shows the Engls being used which ts might could even get.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Laney Laney Laney Laney. $650 is really high for the AORs. They go for $300-$400 all day around here.
Ampeg v50 and a turbo rat, I'm sure the would work as a stand in. Loud as hell and a shit ton of usable gain. Recto's shit their pants in terms of low end, volume and gain. Combined with your 10 band eq it should be an unholy monster.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Dec 30, 2012,
The Krankenstein plus has huge low end as well.

Thanks for the guy who pointed out the AOR over-price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Yes Ill be gigging. Small venue, like the size of a school auditorium (excuse me if I spelled it wrong) id like something for home use, yes. My drummer isnt micd but he's a hell of a caveman behimd the drums. I have a Mesa oversized recto 4x12 cab. I was actually thinking about a Dunwich Wizard head or maybe an Orange TH30 but id be willing to try whatever. Btw what are Hovercraft Amps?
Quote by JoeyDoomRiff666
I know. Should I go for it?

How much is the wizard? Is it new or used?

What type of shape is it in?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by JoeyDoomRiff666
Btw what are Hovercraft Amps?

Not to be a dick, but I posted a link to their website...
They're a company that builds refurbished amps made specifically for doom/sludge.
Kenneth
Sorry baconstips. I didnt see it. Thanks I went on the website. And R45VT, you gotta email the dude. Its a one guy company. His email is dunwichamps@gmail.com I think he charges like 1500. I could probably save up for it huh? Btw would a Randall T2 be any good?
Last edited by JoeyDoomRiff666 at Dec 31, 2012,
Page 1 of 2