Page 1 of 2
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
I've recently happened upon an idea whilst conversing with my colleagues. The subject of many frustrations and outrage seem not to be systems and actual spread issues, but upon people with a focus of affixing blame. For example, everyone gave Romney a lot of flak for investing overseas rather than in America to avoid having to claim the resulting income for taxation reasons. I know that if I were a millionaire, I'd do whatever I could to save my invested money. He's just playing the game, homies.

There are plenty of examples. I just wanted to start a discussion on this discourse. What do you think, Pit? Stop hatin' the playa, hate the game.

"Hate the sin and love the sinner." - Blake

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 30, 2012,
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
No I think the problem was how he was investing overseas whilst trying to make out he loved American business.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
Quote by willT08
No I think the problem was how he was investing overseas whilst trying to make out he loved American business.

That's just the game, man. That's just the game.

Quote by EyeNon15

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
That's just the game, man. That's just the game.

No, that's the playa. If he'd said "I think American business sucks, hence me putting all my money overseas" I would have respected him a lot more. He was playing the game, he just wasn't an honest person.

EDIT: Also, "Hate the sin and love the sinner." is nearly as dumb as "Turn the other cheek"
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
This thread is bad, and you should feel bad. You dirty the prestige that we G&L owners look to uphold.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
Quote by willT08
No, that's the playa. If he'd said "I think American business sucks, hence me putting all my money overseas" I would have respected him a lot more. He was playing the game, he just wasn't an honest person.

EDIT: Also, "Hate the sin and love the sinner." is nearly as dumb as "Turn the other cheek"

Seems like you just straight out admitted to being a hating the playa, knowing that he was only playing the game.

Quote by EyeNon15

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Seems like you just straight out admitted to being a hating the playa, knowing that he was only playing the game.

He wasn't playing it honestly being my problem.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Like Suarez and Bale.

Yeah except Suarez is playing a blinder right now so I don't care about him.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
So I should love the dictator and hate the genocide? I should love the child rapist and hate the child rape? I should love the murderer and hate the murder? If someone stole a large sum from me and ruined my life, I should just hate that he stole but appreciate him as a "playa"?

No thank you.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,237 IQ
My main gripe with Mitt Romney is that Mitt isn't a real name. How can I trust a man that doesn't have a real first name to lead the country? Then again, Barack isn't really a real name either. At least Barack sounds like it could be a real first name somewhere, unlike Mitt which could only be a real first name in Baseballland. Baseballland isn't even a real place, which is just as bad as Mitt not being a real first name, but it's even worse because it has three letter Ls in a row. I can't trust a word with three letter Ls in a row, so I certainly can't trust a man that has a first name that could only be a real first name in a place that not only isn't real but also has three letter Ls in a row in it's name.

Therefore I can't trust Mitt Romney.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Dec 30, 2012,
flame843
stop the munati
2,314 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
My main gripe with Mitt Romney is that Mitt isn't a real name. How can I trust a man that doesn't have a real first name to lead the country? Then again, Barack isn't really a real name either. At least Barack sounds like it could be a real first name somewhere, unlike Mitt which could only be a real first name in Baseballland. Baseballland isn't even a real place, which is just as bad as Mitt not being a real first name, but it's even worse because it has three letter Ls in a row. I can't trust a word with three letter Ls in a row, so I certainly can't trust a man that has a first name that could only be a real first name in a place that not only isn't real but also has three letter Ls in a row in it's name.

Mitt isn't a real first name; his actual first name is Willard, which doesn't sound much more like a real name than Mitt does, anyway.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,237 IQ
Quote by flame843
Mitt isn't a real first name; his actual first name is Willard, which doesn't sound much more like a real name than Mitt does, anyway.

And you expect be to trust a man that doesn't even use his real first name?
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
So I should love the dictator and hate the genocide? I should love the child rapist and hate the child rape? I should love the murderer and hate the murder? If someone stole a large sum from me and ruined my life, I should just hate that he stole but appreciate him as a "playa"?

No thank you.

Are you implying that rape and genocide are games?

Quote by EyeNon15

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by JustRooster

I think that was more concerned with Gandhi's "Hate the sin, love the sinner" bollocks
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
Quote by blake1221
I said it. And I am defensible.

Come, brethren, at me.

OP edited.

Quote by EyeNon15

Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt
16 IQ
Quote by theogonia777

This. All of it.

Furthermore, "Mitt Romney" is , phonetically, far too similar to "shit on me". Making him all the more dis-likable. "Shit On Me" is also a terrible name for a player.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
Damn it Blake.

Quote by JustRooster

You just cost your country 50 points by implying that this isn't a game.

Ha!
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
OP edited.

There we go.

Also, your sig needs moar dotted eighth notes.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Wow, this went downhill fast. Of course, it didn't help that Rooster used "Mitt Romney" as an example in the OP. That said, ya'll niggas done fucked up what could've been a decent discussion.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Wow, this went downhill fast. Of course, it didn't help that Rooster used "Mitt Romney" as an example in the OP. That said, ya'll niggas done fucked up what could've been a decent discussion.

Whenever someone makes a generalization about morals I just try to apply it to the most extreme examples I can think of. Then if I find the results agreeable, I agree. There can't be a discussion if we agreed on everything.

But yeah, sorry about that.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Whenever someone makes a generalization about morals I just try to apply it to the most extreme examples I can think of. Then if I find the results agreeable, I agree. There can't be a discussion if we agreed on everything.

But yeah, sorry about that.

Well, your examples were somewhat good. But to be fair, if you truly wanted to make a difference in the world, you would "love the sinner" and "hate the sin". No, that doesn't mean you should languish under a dictator or say that a rapist can do whatever he wants (which happens to sometimes be rape), but it does mean that you don't go around spitting bile and fire over the dictator or the rapist. After all, it's one thing to rise up and overthrow a dictator or to work with local law enforcement to ensure that a rapist ends up punished according to just laws; but what does it profit a person to be full of hatred?

Think about it this way (using your dictator example), you could A) hate on the guy OR B) do something to replace him, keeping in mind that treating him in an inhumane way after he's replaced would just bring you down to his level. Which is going to end up with you* being a better individual?

*Not you personally, per se. "You" as in some unspecified person.

All of that said, "the game" business is bullshit. So is "the playa" business. Life isn't a game or about playing a game. Life should be about honesty and integrity and such.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 30, 2012,
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Think about it this way (using your dictator example), you could A) hate on the guy OR B) do something to replace him, keeping in mind that treating him in an inhumane way after he's replaced would just bring you down to his level. Which is going to end up with you* being a better individual?

Why is it impossible to hate someone and be pro-active in your hypothetical? Does hatred lead to laziness?
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by willT08
Why is it impossible to hate someone and be pro-active in your hypothetical? Does hatred lead to laziness?

I'm not saying it's impossible. It's VERY possible. People do it every damn day. But I'm presenting the option that, if you don't hate the "bad person", then you will be better off emotionally and mentally.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
I think that the phrase has more to do with a role than the actual identifiable person. Most rich people will avoid claiming income to save money from taxation. Just about anyone would do it, even those of high morals.

Let's remember where the phrase came from; low income neighborhoods where the chief way to gain money was drug trafficking and theft. Most of the time those involved only were because it was the only way for them to feed themselves or their families, hence joining gangs. The idea was that you can't hate a guy for doing what it is he has to do, rather, you should hate the situation that force them there. The focus should be on fixing the situation, not blaming those involved.

Quote by EyeNon15

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'm not saying it's impossible. It's VERY possible. People do it every damn day. But I'm presenting the option that, if you don't hate the "bad person", then you will be better off emotionally and mentally.

I'd question your mental health if you didn't hate Saddam, Bin Laden or Gareth Bale.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,263 IQ
Quote by willT08
I'd question your mental health if you didn't hate Saddam, Bin Laden or Gareth Bale.

Man, you're using the absolute worst examples and biggest stretches in which to discuss this topic. No one's defending dictators, man. Come off it.

Quote by EyeNon15

willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Man, you're using the absolute worst examples and biggest stretches in which to discuss this topic. No one's defending dictators, man. Come off it.

They're definitely saying I shouldn't hate them. Which I should. And of course hating Bale is mandatory.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by willT08

Why? Just because I hate them doesn't mean I condone what they do. I can even actively work against them and NOT hate them. Are their crimes despicable? Yes. But why should I hate them? What good does that personally do me?

Edit:
Also, a minor gripe here...unless you happen to be a mental health professional (and even then I'd wonder if I could trust your opinion, seeing as how you just bandied around the words "question your mental health"), I don't see why I should worry about your opinion on the state of my mental health.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why? Just because I hate them doesn't mean I condone what they do. I can even actively work against them and NOT hate them. Are their crimes despicable? Yes. But why should I hate them? What good does that personally do me?

You're actually asking me why you should hate Saddam Hussein?

I don't see why whether it's good for you or not is relevant at all.
MakinLattes
fully retractable
1,097 IQ
If I were a millionaire I would invest in Gundam. Your entire argument unravels from there.

Why can't a person be detestable for choosing to play such a game? In the end they're doing all the decision making and it's their responsibility, not that of the system.
Philip_pepper
Banned
4,955 IQ
Romney was being a little hypocrite.

You can be a little hypocrite if you'd like, since it's part of "da game".

But if people see through you, you ain't goan' win da game. Therefore, the playa will be hated on.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,304 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, your examples were somewhat good. But to be fair, if you truly wanted to make a difference in the world, you would "love the sinner" and "hate the sin". No, that doesn't mean you should languish under a dictator or say that a rapist can do whatever he wants (which happens to sometimes be rape), but it does mean that you don't go around spitting bile and fire over the dictator or the rapist. After all, it's one thing to rise up and overthrow a dictator or to work with local law enforcement to ensure that a rapist ends up punished according to just laws; but what does it profit a person to be full of hatred?

All of that said, "the game" business is bullshit. So is "the playa" business. Life isn't a game or about playing a game. Life should be about honesty and integrity and such.

I don't mean that you should actively 'hate' someone, but I'm using the word as just the opposite of 'love'. Going out of your way to hate anything is never productive.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by willT08
You're actually asking me why you should hate Saddam Hussein?

I don't see why whether it's good for you or not is relevant at all.

Yes, I am. I'm asking why, while not condoning his behavior, you should actively spend time being bilious and full of venom over Saddam Hussein. I am asking that.

Whether it's good for you or not is relevant because I'm making an argument that it appeals to your betterment to not spend your time, energy, thoughts, emotions, etc. on hating someone. Do other things, like (if you desire) spending time co-operating with those trying to end the rule of dictators and establish more fair and equitable forms of government.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't mean that you should actively 'hate' someone, but I'm using the word as just the opposite of 'love'. Going out of your way to hate anything is never productive.

Well, this is true. But I'm positing that hating period is unproductive in the long-term. Short-term, I could see how hatred might inspire, for instance, a nation to rise up and overthrow its brutal dictator. Over the long-term, if they treat that dictator badly after overthrowing him, it sours everything.

Likewise, you could apply what I'm saying to smaller term examples, such as your child rapist example. Yeah, maybe you personally would NOT be committing an acts motivated by hatred (such as attacking the rapist), but it still wouldn't get you anything personally to have hated.
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, I am. I'm asking why, while not condoning his behavior, you should actively spend time being bilious and full of venom over Saddam Hussein. I am asking that.

While I wouldn't use the words bilious or venomous, it should be a natural reaction to a man that tried to wipe out a race of your brothers and sisters showing your unity with them against their persecutor.

Whether it's good for you or not is relevant because I'm making an argument that it appeals to your betterment to not spend your time, energy, thoughts, emotions, etc. on hating someone. Do other things, like (if you desire) spending time co-operating with those trying to end the rule of dictators and establish more fair and equitable forms of government.

That's got nothing to do with whether you should hate them. You're just saying you should be pro-active whilst doing it. If hate isn't a motivator then I don't know what is.